Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I loitered at the fruit stand picking up my Pro today and got some quality time with the Magic Keyboard.

Honest thoughts are that it's incredibly well built, feels amazingly solid, and is super easy and intuitive to use... ... and is 100% not at ALL what I'm looking for.

It's an amazing device if I wanted to turn my iPad into a laptop, but that's not how I use my iPad. I literally just want a thing I can flip open when I need to type something complex and don't want to paw at the screen, that doesn't take up a ton of real-estate in front of the device, and can fold away nicely when I'm not using it. Basically the folio they discontinued.

The overwhelming feeling I got when I was using the MK was "this is an amazing tiny MacBook".

I think the Logitech keyboard is going to be the sweet spot for me. If Apple made a Magic Keyboard Folio for this Pro I would have walked out of the store with one. They didn't, so I'm putting my cash elsewhere.

But again, no dig at the MK itself. I 100% agree it's a super well built gadget that enables amazing productivity on the Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Wow they didn’t even require a signature, they just dropped it at the door. Idk how to feel about that. But the glow of consumerism is strong today :) haha

Also totally fair perspective Jackal! I very much disagree on the keyboard though- I think the official keyboard easily justifies its premium.

At the end of the day it’s just nice that people have options and the base iPad itself for less than 400$ is killer.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 15, 2024

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Seems the UK edu store still uses a verification system :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh for sure. I don't think my qualm is with the MK's premium price (or at least I hope I didn't say or imply that). It's just that it doesn't enable me in the way I use my iPad. Literally if it just bent backwards somehow (I'm not saying it should, but if it did) to stow away then I'd own one right now. It was super solid in every other way.

e: I'mma be very honest, I 100% expected this, but I'm still kind of surprised how comparable my 2020 feels in terms of actual UI to the new M4.

Things LOAD faster, and maybe it spins a little less doing a few things,, but in terms of actual "I'm using this like I do every day" feeling, I don't really think like the 2020 has lost much of a step.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 15, 2024

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I know it's absolutely not going to happen but I'm holding onto hope that they announce some huge improvement to iPadOS at WWDC. I want the new Pro so bad but I know it will just sit unused like every iPad I've ever bought if the software doesn't get like one billion times better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I legit use my iPad every day I actually have two 12.9s one that lives at home and one I take to work everyday. The bedroom pro is a 3rd generation and it’s still perfectly fine but it’s getting traded in and the M1 is getting relegated to home use.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Taima posted:

Wow they didn’t even require a signature, they just dropped it at the door. Idk how to feel about that. But the glow of consumerism is strong today :) haha
They just left mine in my building's mailroom. At least it was in a nondescript cardboard box. Big upgrade for me so far. I still plan on using it to do some writing on the go, but I can't imagine replacing a laptop with this. It is day 1, so maybe I'll change my tune after I get some use out of it and acclimate.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Taima posted:

Apple knows what it's doing by not requiring verification. And the idea of feeling bad for Apple's literally unparalleled margins is... hard to believe someone would take that stance, so... :shrug:

People cried when Steve Apple died, it's not hard to believe that people would see taking advantage of Apple's goodwill towards students being a real tragedy and probably deserving of jailtime.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

grahm posted:

I know it's absolutely not going to happen but I'm holding onto hope that they announce some huge improvement to iPadOS at WWDC. I want the new Pro so bad but I know it will just sit unused like every iPad I've ever bought if the software doesn't get like one billion times better.

Here's to hoping they try to make iPadOS do more things as opposed to just doing some poo poo like slapping macOS at that iPad and calling it a day.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Set up my dad’s 13” iPad Pro for him this evening, and while I knew it would be thin, this is ridiculous. It makes my iPad mini 6th gen feel positively thick by comparison.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I ended up grabbing a $25 regular folio knockoff until the Logitech Combo is out next (?) week because it just feels so fragile. I'm sure it's not but I feel like I'm carrying a faberge egg.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

this thing is hella thin. i’ve tried the previous 12.9 and it was just too heavy/unwieldy but this one feels… just right? I’m docking it in the magic keyboard case if it leaves the house but barebacking it around the house, the thinness and weight reduction make it feel as pleasant as my 11 with the folio case, which is nice.

planning to finally move to landscape as my main orientation over portrait and i think this’ll work great.

amazing screen, geez

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

Set up my dad’s 13” iPad Pro for him this evening, and while I knew it would be thin, this is ridiculous. It makes my iPad mini 6th gen feel positively thick by comparison.

It’s some jetsons poo poo for real

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I guess UPS isn’t doing signatures lol

That’s fine but drat it’s quite the change

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's normal on big delivery days, they got so much poo poo to get through they just dump it on the front door and speed for the next one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

That's normal on big delivery days, they got so much poo poo to get through they just dump it on the front door and speed for the next one.

It’s never been normal for apple deliveries though :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It has for me!

I haven't signed for a new iphone in like 8 years.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m fuckin around with my 13 inch Air and I’m already loving it, but in my waiting period I messed around with the last gen pros a lot and man, that 120hz felt nice. it really doesn’t matter and this still feels great, but…

Otherwise this thing is rad though.

Also , the mismatched camera on the old Magic Keyboard looks weird but that doesn’t really matter.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

SaturdayKnight posted:

There’s been a setting in the sound panel for a while now that lets you specify dynamic volume buttons (that change with orientation) or static volume buttons. I don’t like it moving around but I guess it’s on by default on the new ones.

I think they may have removed this setting? Saw a screenshot online that it should be in Settings > Sounds at the bottom, but it's not there on my 2024 iPad Pro iOS 17.5.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Despite being a Mac guy since around 2006 and an iphone user since the original launched in 2008, I have never had a single solid use case for an iPad and have never done much more than mess around on other people's ipads briefly. After playing around with my new iPad air for most of the night, I am simultaneously happy I bought it, because I think it's going to suit my needs as an art creation device perfectly, but I also have some fuckin opinions about iOS right now. Let's just say my half broken 2017 macbook air isn't going anywhere.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Anyone have the new Magic Keyboard and want to give their opinion? I’m a giant fan personally, and like I’ve been saying for weeks now, it’s a GIANT step up from the previous one.

Feels night and day better to type on, aluminum frame, lighter, better angle, function keys. S tier. Also, the larger track pad with actual HAPTICS is so good.

Overall I am like, a very solid 9/10 on this new Pro. If I had ONE small complaint, it’s that it’s still a little heavy on the 13 inch model; but it feels like you’re in loving Star Trek when you’re using this iPad, so I’ll let it go, and it’s way easier to hold than the last 13 inch pro. So it is what it is.

I’m going to try in earnest to make this device my main laptop (which is currently a 16 inch M1 MacBook Pro) we’ll see how it goes, and obviously WWDC coming up will really show how serious Apple is about making the iPad an actual laptop replacement.

Overall though I am having so much fun and love it so much. The OLED at full brightness is just… incredible. It’s just so good.

Final note: I am amazed at how COOL this iPad is, temp wise. The previous pro got really hot when it was being charged; not really a thing so far on this one, and when actually using it in real life, it’s just dead cold.

It’s actually absurd that so far, I’ve been running the OLED at 100% brightness and it has shown ZERO heat..! It shows how efficient the tandem OLED is at reducing overall display load.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 16, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh and btw, the rock bottom pixel response time of modern OLED is in full force here.

The previous 12.9 miniLED, while an incredible display, was hamstrung by its pixel response. So when you scrolled, it would still kind of de-cohere the text and it would end up looking weird and blurry.

None of that here, everything to do with this display is truly liquid-level smooth in a way that is just completely obvious if you compare the two side by side.

Anyways this is probably my last big post on the device. So good. Cheers!! <3

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I’m fuckin around with my 13 inch Air and I’m already loving it, but in my waiting period I messed around with the last gen pros a lot and man, that 120hz felt nice. it really doesn’t matter and this still feels great, but…

Otherwise this thing is rad though.

Also , the mismatched camera on the old Magic Keyboard looks weird but that doesn’t really matter.

Sitting with the 13" Air in portrait mode and going back to my phone, makes the phone feel like an iPhone 5 size-wise and that's just ridiculous.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
It’d be really nice to at least have support for profiles in iPadOS, so the device can more easily be shared between two people. I understand they’ll never make it more like a laptop but that would be nice in the meantime.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

illcendiary posted:

It’d be really nice to at least have support for profiles in iPadOS, so the device can more easily be shared between two people. I understand they’ll never make it more like a laptop but that would be nice in the meantime.

They do but it literally works in one specific setup. So it's not a technical thing at all, but a choice. The iPad is marketed as a personal device, just like iPhones and iPods.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Taima posted:

Anyone have the new Magic Keyboard and want to give their opinion? I’m a giant fan personally, and like I’ve been saying for weeks now, it’s a GIANT step up from the previous one.

Feels night and day better to type on, aluminum frame, lighter, better angle, function keys. S tier. Also, the larger track pad with actual HAPTICS is so good.

Overall I am like, a very solid 9/10 on this new Pro. If I had ONE small complaint, it’s that it’s still a little heavy on the 13 inch model; but it feels like you’re in loving Star Trek when you’re using this iPad, so I’ll let it go, and it’s way easier to hold than the last 13 inch pro. So it is what it is.

I’m going to try in earnest to make this device my main laptop (which is currently a 16 inch M1 MacBook Pro) we’ll see how it goes, and obviously WWDC coming up will really show how serious Apple is about making the iPad an actual laptop replacement.

Overall though I am having so much fun and love it so much. The OLED at full brightness is just… incredible. It’s just so good.

Final note: I am amazed at how COOL this iPad is, temp wise. The previous pro got really hot when it was being charged; not really a thing so far on this one, and when actually using it in real life, it’s just dead cold.

It’s actually absurd that so far, I’ve been running the OLED at 100% brightness and it has shown ZERO heat..! It shows how efficient the tandem OLED is at reducing overall display load.

I am very much loving it both with the Magic Keyboard and without so far. It’s holdable in a way the last 12.9 wasn’t. I’m using it entirely in landscape both on and off the keyboard and it’s perfect. Just like you, I’m going to do my next day trip or two where I have to work using this as my only device and see if I can downgrade my MBP to a Studio, which I’d prefer to get rid of the intervening dock solution. And I’d make some money back.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh amazing, so you're basically me, device-wise. Please do report back, I would love to continue hearing your thoughts on everything, and I'll do the same. I am very curious about this ipad's ability to become a main device.

Also chuffed for WWDC soon because Apple went so, so hard on this new Pro that it makes me feel like they have a real vision they're trying to accomplish. I guess we'll see!

Context
Sep 11, 2006
Here’s Gruber’s review

I don’t know, I’ve never really agreed with the stereotype that Apple fans will rationalize anything, but this release might make me crack. I love this new iPad, but to say iPadOS is currently exactly what it should be is a bit beyond the pale. It’s not even this review specifically (I know Gruber has to stay in good graces for his interviews at WWDC), but some of the comments I’ve seen elsewhere online. At this point, I’m hoping they do announce a bunch of pro-level OS features just to see how the commentary turns on a dime.

It’s causing some weird cognitive dissonance for me, like, I’m a fanboy, but the fanboys are being crazy.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I think Frederico's MacStories article goes into all my biggest complaints with iOS, which become bigger issues when you're trying to use an iPad as a MacBook replacement - We need 1:1 Finder, Smart inboxes/playlists, and better background process APIs in general for many apps.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Very Dumb question, but how am I supposed to be holding this 13" iPad? I think it's a great device, but I'm finding it awkward and uncomfortable to hold. Like, if I take one hand off it to select something, in that moment it feels like I have to squeeze super hard with my other hand (possibly also interacting with the screen by accident), or move my single holding hand to the bottom middle, which is very awkward. Otherwise I kinda hold a corner and give the bottom a little extra support with my pinky finger, but overall it's uncomfortable that way and I'm finding myself reluctant to use it.

Is the 13" meant to mainly be used with desk/lap/keyboard support?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I palm the back of it with my hand usually like a pizza box

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eat more pizza, grow a huge gut and balance it there with the free hand.

Context
Sep 11, 2006
I usually sit sideways on the couch and prop it up on top of the back cushion, hold it with my left hand and interact with my right. I understand your question though.

The squeeze function in the new pencil has informed me that I guess I’ve always been gripping my pencil too tightly - it activates the squeeze anytime I start to draw with it. I’ve just been ignoring it for now because as far as I can tell Procreate doesn’t do anything with the squeeze by default.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I use a normal sized ipad instead

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sourdough posted:

I use a normal sized ipad instead

yeah, reminder that if you don't explicitly know you need a 13" ipad you don't need one that big lol

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I just hold it up in my left hand kinda propped on my pinky, and the corner is in my inner palm, and then the thumb on the left side to complete the triangle grip. That leaves my other hand completely free to do whatever.

That being said if there’s any concern there, just return it and get the 11 while you still can :shrug: there’s no reason to suffer with a device you don’t like holding when there’s a device with the same specs but smaller.

I think the 13 is probably unsuited for smaller hands in general.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ive seen people use those popsocket things but they look pretty ugly to me

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

MarcusSA posted:

It’s never been normal for apple deliveries though :shrug:

My area in SoCal stopped requiring signatures for Apple products during COVID and never went back.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Taima posted:

I just hold it up in my left hand kinda propped on my pinky, and the corner is in my inner palm, and then the thumb on the left side to complete the triangle grip. That leaves my other hand completely free to do whatever.

That being said if there’s any concern there, just return it and get the 11 while you still can :shrug: there’s no reason to suffer with a device you don’t like holding when there’s a device with the same specs but smaller.

I think the 13 is probably unsuited for smaller hands in general.

Yeah I have giant gorilla hands with guitarist/bassist strength so I just hold it from the lower left corner. Smaller hands would have a harder time with the big boi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

is there really no way to change this dumb circle cursor to an arrow with the Magic Keyboard? I hate it.