Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Edmond Dantes posted:

I love that it scratches that "ooooooh, what's over there?" itch really well (zone levels notwithstanding).

And I'm fine with that, really. Even if I lose interest after hitting endgame, if it manages to maintain this level of fun up to that point I'll be more than happy.

endgame gw2 definitely isn't for everyone but there's a lot of cool stuff to get involved in depending on what you like and plenty of us enjoy it for what it is. the initial leveling is definitely really fun, which is something a lot of mmos do really poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Priapus Unbound posted:

It will also raise the value of mats used in ascended gear crafting, which is great for people who don't care about ascended gear who like to sell crap from salvaging while playing normally.

jesus, every time I start playing a little anet comes up with some idiot dogshit idea to remind me that they care about casuals the same way bush cared about black people.

vvvv. I figured we were talking about the base mats (wood, leather, ore) or the refined products (deldrimor ingots, damask), not the intermediaries (elonian cord, elder spirit residue).

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 18, 2017

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Priapus Unbound posted:

It will also raise the value of mats used in ascended gear crafting, which is great for people who don't care about ascended gear who like to sell crap from salvaging while playing normally.

Like what?

I thought most ascended mats can't be sold.

Fuzzy Butt
Jan 8, 2009

(not a furry)

Alteisen posted:

Like what?

I thought most ascended mats can't be sold.

Refined T7 mats like Deldrimor Steel Ingots, Spiritwood Planks, Elonian Leather Squares, and Bolts of Damask can be sold on the tp. Although the effort for your average crafter isn't worth the profits at the moment (spiritwood and damask are crafted at a loss). So this change will hopefully make daily crafting worthwhile again. It also bolsters the value of T3,4, and 5 mats used in their production.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fuzzy Butt posted:

Refined T7 mats like Deldrimor Steel Ingots, Spiritwood Planks, Elonian Leather Squares, and Bolts of Damask can be sold on the tp. Although the effort for your average crafter isn't worth the profits at the moment (spiritwood and damask are crafted at a loss). So this change will hopefully make daily crafting worthwhile again. It also bolsters the value of T3,4, and 5 mats used in their production.

So...

It benefits the spergs.

Gotcha

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

SUPER COORDINATED group that did Smash the Dragon. :toot:

unironically yes, pubs are mentally incapable of coordinating to the point of breaking his defiance bar so you got lucky with that group

re: ascended price increases, lol. the craft items are only valuable to people who don't do raids/fractals because if you do either of those things you probably have more ascended crap than you know what to do with. i am currently in the process of muling a second character full of ascended junk because my first one is full. i hope this change does good but i don't see how it does

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 18, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Magres posted:

Your rotation:

Lay Traps / Yell Shouts
Press F1
Press 1
Press 1
Press 1
Repeat until Traps/Shouts/F1 come up
Apply F1/Traps/Shouts as needed (save Maw, Retreat, and SYG for appropriate situations, but pop Wrath, Fragments, and Procession on cooldown)
Keep Pressing 1 (no seriously your DPS rotation is "Mash 1 until your keyboard breaks")

Is there a point that you should not complete the auto-attack chain with the symbol with the mashing '1' ? Do the attacks go off faster if you spam the button instead of letting your character auto-attack?

Fuzzy Butt
Jan 8, 2009

(not a furry)

TeaJay posted:

Is there a point that you should not complete the auto-attack chain with the symbol with the mashing '1' ? Do the attacks go off faster if you spam the button instead of letting your character auto-attack?

You should try to get the 3rd strike in so you get the protection symbol down before using your utilities. ̶S̶u̶r̶p̶r̶i̶s̶i̶n̶g̶l̶y̶ ̶q̶u̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶c̶l̶a̶s̶s̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶-̶a̶t̶t̶a̶c̶k̶s̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶n̶e̶g̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶-̶a̶t̶t̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶m̶a̶s̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶1̶.̶ ̶ ̶I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶n̶e̶g̶l̶i̶g̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶e̶i̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶u̶l̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶p̶s̶ ̶g̶a̶i̶n̶.̶ ̶ ̶M̶e̶s̶m̶e̶r̶ ̶G̶S̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶m̶m̶e̶d̶i̶a̶t̶e̶l̶y̶.̶

I WAS WRONG/CONFUSED/DUM, IGNORE! It's cancelling the aftercast by stowing your weapon that leads to faster auto-attacks. Which is way too much effort. So auto-attack away!

Fuzzy Butt fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 18, 2017

Aug 24, 2011

Fuzzy Butt posted:

You should try to get the 3rd strike in so you get the protection symbol down before using your utilities. Surprisingly quite a few class's auto-attacks have an aftercast that can be completely negated by turning off auto-attack and mashing 1. It's not negligible either and will result in a dps gain. Mesmer GS auto comes to mind immediately.

can you give some other examples of classes that do that because i want to max my dippy s

Fuzzy Butt
Jan 8, 2009

(not a furry)

where the red fern gropes posted:

can you give some other examples of classes that do that because i want to max my dippy s

You're right, I've sperged too much for one day. Goodnight you wonderful bastards! :tipshat:

Aug 24, 2011

Fuzzy Butt posted:

You're right, I've sperged too much for one day. Goodnight you wonderful bastards! :tipshat:

i was serious

Aug 24, 2011

hardened leather up to 28 silver

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

unironically yes, pubs are mentally incapable of coordinating to the point of breaking his defiance bar so you got lucky with that group

we had two commanders from the same guild that were giving out instructions in map chat and then squad announcements directing people to put themselves in a glider-haver group, when to run to the jump pad, when to jump and bomb the head, etc. an impressive majority of people listened considering there were like 100 dudes on the map.

i've met a lot of 'regulars' that lead the same events at the same time each night.

now doing that evolved jungle wurm... that's going to take a lot of luck.

Aug 24, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

we had two commanders from the same guild that were giving out instructions in map chat and then squad announcements directing people to put themselves in a glider-haver group, when to run to the jump pad, when to jump and bomb the head, etc. an impressive majority of people listened considering there were like 100 dudes on the map.

i've met a lot of 'regulars' that lead the same events at the same time each night.

now doing that evolved jungle wurm... that's going to take a lot of luck.

http://ttsgamers.com/

http://ttsgamers.com/event-calendar/

looks like they do three triple troubles per week, join that thing and they usually shout in guild chat when they're about to do it

i have not joined them in events for several months but the success rate is quite high

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

http://ttsgamers.com/

http://ttsgamers.com/event-calendar/

looks like they do three triple troubles per week, join that thing and they usually shout in guild chat when they're about to do it

i have not joined them in events for several months but the success rate is quite high

these guys look pretty chill and have a well put together website. :v: thanks, i'll check them out.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I was mostly being facetious about the simplicity of the rotation. Mashing 1 and pressing 1 once then letting your character auto-attack do, as far as I know, the same thing.

One important thing though is specifically to not interrupt your auto-attack chain with other abilities. You depend on a lot on symbol uptime for DPS, and if you interrupt your auto chain you'll lose your symbol and be sad.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Mashing 1 only makes it feel faster, you have to actually cancel out of it. Sheath weapon is a great key to use as it doesn't lock you in animation. It's what I use in wvw for mesmer's gs1 autoattack aftercast on the third hit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nick sorry, I forgot to post this

My gear is all Marauder stat (except for uh, my underwater stuff? and who cares about that) and mostly ascended with a few exotic. I use longbow primary, and mace/shield secondary because I have moot/flameseeker and look drat good. If you wanna use something else for a secondary then swap out traits for those weapons.

Speaking of ascended, wtf is this change? Will this make crafting my last few pieces worse?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Speaking of ascended, wtf is this change? Will this make crafting my last few pieces worse?
It doesn't look like a change to crafting directly, just adding more cost to purchasing pieces off the vendors in Fractals/Raids/PvP.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Generic Octopus posted:

It doesn't look like a change to crafting directly, just adding more cost to purchasing pieces off the vendors in Fractals/Raids/PvP.

Ah, thank you.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
How are Revs in the endgame? I'm enjoying leveling one up but concerned that the gameplay might change as I get further along. Currently I've been running around with a mace and axe while doing Assassin (I hear Demon is supposed to go well with the weapon choice, but I've been happier with Assassin's utility powers).

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Conskill posted:

How are Revs in the endgame? I'm enjoying leveling one up but concerned that the gameplay might change as I get further along. Currently I've been running around with a mace and axe while doing Assassin (I hear Demon is supposed to go well with the weapon choice, but I've been happier with Assassin's utility powers).

I won't speak to raids, but everywhere else they're great. Glint/Shiro is pmuch the default PvE stance combo (you won't have access to Glint until you get the elite spec going) so you're probably going to do fine. Sword is a better mainhand weapon though, and you'll want a staff & a hammer available (for breakbars & range, respectively).

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Tsurupettan posted:

okay, my guardian is 80, it's super rad to play and I'm looking forward to continuing with it and gearing it up. i also discovered the shatterer today and that was really fun! i even stumbled into some SUPER COORDINATED group that did Smash the Dragon. :toot:

but i want to continue my 'get one of everything to 80' journey. i think i'm going to level mesmer or necro next but i can't decide. please pick for me, goons. :ohdear:

also I've literally never done a dungeon yet so i should probably try one of those, huh?

As ApeHawk said, Mesmers are the best but the leveling one isn't. They're a class that's very reliant on traits, so until you have three trait lines, they're just not as fun. If the game is still new and fresh for you and you like to just run around exploring, go ahead and do Mesmer, otherwise you can just work through Necro and save your free login tomes for your Mesmer after that. Necromancers are invincible, AoE-vomiting, walking nuclear bombs that are probably the easiest class to level outside of maybe Warrior.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Whats the name of this hat

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Serenade posted:

Whats the name of this hat

Looks like the female version of the Hexed outfit: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hexed_Outfit

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Hello Sailor posted:

Looks like the female version of the Hexed outfit: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hexed_Outfit

Yeah, it's got the beaded necklace and all. Bummer I wanted just the hat

give me this hat please, tia

Serenade fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 19, 2017

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I just found gw2efficiency and it is an amazing amalgamation of a bunch of the other resource websites in the OP. I imagine it's pretty common knowledge for most players, but could it get added to the OP for people like me who are coming back fresh?

Also I ended up trying out both the Mesmer and Necro for leveling (since i have them at 30 from boosts anyway), and yeah the Mesmer is more difficult to manage but making clone buddies and exploding them on everything is fun. The Necro feels a lot slower and less exciting. Maybe I'm just playing the Necro wrong, though.

I remade my thief as an Asura and their animations are great for daredevil. I love it. :3: Plus female Asura do flips when they dodge so it's perfect! And considering that most of the racial utilities seem like hot garbage, Radiation Field actually looks legit as hell?

Aug 24, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

I just found gw2efficiency and it is an amazing amalgamation of a bunch of the other resource websites in the OP. I imagine it's pretty common knowledge for most players, but could it get added to the OP for people like me who are coming back fresh?

Also I ended up trying out both the Mesmer and Necro for leveling (since i have them at 30 from boosts anyway), and yeah the Mesmer is more difficult to manage but making clone buddies and exploding them on everything is fun. The Necro feels a lot slower and less exciting. Maybe I'm just playing the Necro wrong, though.

I remade my thief as an Asura and their animations are great for daredevil. I love it. :3: Plus female Asura do flips when they dodge so it's perfect! And considering that most of the racial utilities seem like hot garbage, Radiation Field actually looks legit as hell?

use a dagger to level your necro

the best asura racial is technobabble, extremely strong at high end play and i use it in raids

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

the best asura racial is death

ftfy

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

treizebee posted:

Mashing 1 only makes it feel faster, you have to actually cancel out of it. Sheath weapon is a great key to use as it doesn't lock you in animation. It's what I use in wvw for mesmer's gs1 autoattack aftercast on the third hit.

In fact, a bug was found back in September showing that mashing some attacks that were part of a chain was actually less DPS

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/50qm21/major_autoattack_bug_huge_aftercast_if_you_mash_1/

The bug was fixed since.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Speaking of bugs and Asuras

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA7g5rtTozg

Aug 24, 2011

i have just performed a cool AUTO ATTACK TEST on my guardian vs the raid training golem my dps was 13k

this is with all boons, spotter buff, and frost spirit

no food or moving or any skills

i am thinking maybe it is better to drop dragonhunter in favour of virtues for 1% increased damage per boon and 20% increased damage with aegis

e: yes my damage went up to 15.8k dps

e2: adding warrior buffs (banners + empower allies) and only having boons aegis, swiftness, regen, quickness, might and fury, stationary dps is up to 18k. if i used food or the correct runes i would easily be out-damaging a lot of tempests (not the pro ones though), however this does rely on being able to keep aegis up

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 19, 2017

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I haven't touched GW2 since a bit before the expansion came out. Thinking about buying HoT and giving it a shot again. What direction has the game been going? I was a big fan of dungeons/fractals but was pretty disappointed that Anet was seemingly focusing on lame living story chapters, zerg content where you just mash 1, and cash shop items. How about now?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Vargs posted:

I haven't touched GW2 since a bit before the expansion came out. Thinking about buying HoT and giving it a shot again. What direction has the game been going? I was a big fan of dungeons/fractals but was pretty disappointed that Anet was seemingly focusing on lame living story chapters, zerg content where you just mash 1, and cash shop items. How about now?

There are 10 man raids now, can't comment more since it's not really for me, and also Fractals have been polished a bit during this time. They are at least actively updating Fractals, unlike dungeons, which they don't really support much. They did add some new mechanics though where after doing 8 paths you get a chest with 150 freely selectable dungeon tokens.

ANet's focus is still on lame living story, zerg content and cash shop items, though.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Vargs posted:

I played a ton before HoT, mostly stopped right after HoT came out, and then just picked it up again recently. I'd say there have been a ton of improvements, though it's still largely the same game. All the HoT content is a lot of fun, the fractal updates are amazing (selectable fractals, agony infusions can go everywhere, a few new ones, and a number of updates to the old ones), and the new LS chapters have at least been accompanied by some cool new map zones that all feel pretty busy and have lots of events. The raids are a lot of fun too, and we have a few goon groups that raid regularly. I'd definitely recommend getting HoT and giving it a shot again.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

i have just performed a cool AUTO ATTACK TEST on my guardian vs the raid training golem my dps was 13k

this is with all boons, spotter buff, and frost spirit

no food or moving or any skills

i am thinking maybe it is better to drop dragonhunter in favour of virtues for 1% increased damage per boon and 20% increased damage with aegis

e: yes my damage went up to 15.8k dps

e2: adding warrior buffs (banners + empower allies) and only having boons aegis, swiftness, regen, quickness, might and fury, stationary dps is up to 18k. if i used food or the correct runes i would easily be out-damaging a lot of tempests (not the pro ones though), however this does rely on being able to keep aegis up

Procession of Blades is like a 9% DPS increase and you can coordinate it with the Big Game Hunter 10%. If two buttons that aren't autoattack are too much to ask then just use staff Daredevil.

And it doesn't even lose damage from dodging. (lifesteal food buff fell off halfway through)

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

what're the dps meters and things i see on your screenshot and other's? i wasn't even aware the game had plugins like that.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
They're hacks of the game runtime to make it show more combat feedback, and were generally understood to be against the ToS for a while, so people didn't really talk about them. ANet eventually decided that a proper DPS meter is a useful tool but were unwilling to support one so they just came to agreements with the creators over details and features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8_-zFjyU00

Links to each meter in the video description there.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Lonk posted:

Jesus.

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're so stealthy in wvw now

quoting these because they're important and relevant to an on-going conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
Lonk is the only true fashion queen.

• Locked thread