Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Agreed posted:

goldangit sish my randall preamp has no aesthetics to speak of and is boring compared to that multicolored dream machine. It will go to the grave unnoticed. thanks a lot :cry:

Still... Wowee nice guitar!

:3 sorry Agreed. I got lucky, got it for about 1/4 the price it was cost to make. I have come to terms that I will never own a nicer guitar. I will guard this stupid thing with my life. Need suggestions for a guitar strap. Thinking purple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Levy's Purple 2-inch shag carpet guitar strap

Dooo iiiit

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Smash it Smash hit posted:

:3 sorry Agreed. I got lucky, got it for about 1/4 the price it was cost to make. I have come to terms that I will never own a nicer guitar. I will guard this stupid thing with my life. Need suggestions for a guitar strap. Thinking purple?

Yeah I saw that on eBay a few times when looking for JMs.

Not a fan of the lights in the guitar but it looked like a really nice guitar otherwise.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This is pure beauty, I think I need one.

Wouldn't mind that weird funky guitar either, looks so fun!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

booshi posted:

Yeah I saw that on eBay a few times when looking for JMs.

Not a fan of the lights in the guitar but it looked like a really nice guitar otherwise.

yeah I spoke to him off ebay and did a deal off it. I REALLY dig the lights, but if I ever get burned out on them :keke: I will just either paint the pickguard or get a new one. But, I love atmospheric/visual presentation when I play.

Also, he is still selling that orange JM with strat style pickups. If it's anything like this dude, you wont be disappointed.

DONT TEMPT ME.

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 10, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
edit double post.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Also, he is still selling that orange JM with strat style pickups. If it's anything like this dude, you wont be disappointed.

I got a VMJM last week. New bridge from Warmoth will be here today actually!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I ordered these two yesterday:

Spent a lot of time browsing through Perris Leathers on Amazon, seems to have a lot of stuff, reviews are good and prices can't be beat.
(I may or may not have ordered more than that, but those are the purple ones I picked out for now.)

JOIN US DO IT DO IT
Fuzz is very chic these days. ;)

(It's awesome this one has literally pissed people off on more than one occasion.)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Wait, Jesus Christ, that's loving gorgeous! loving hell jealousy time now.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

VT-22

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

iostream.h posted:

Wait, Jesus Christ, that's loving gorgeous! loving hell jealousy time now.

Yeah I am super excited about it. With the LED system, I feel the battery getting pretty hot when its running. I am guessing that is because its a 9v running a bunch of LEDs? Its not burning to the touch but definitely not just warm.

Leaning to the purple leather stuff, looks alot more classy then i thought. Just have to see if its reclaimed leather or actual or what, have a slight morality issue there but, if its one of those two, gunna be pulling the trigger.

That FUZZ tho.

gently caress yeah. My favorite amp(s)!

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 10, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Leaning to the purple leather stuff, looks alot more classy then i thought. Just have to see if its reclaimed leather or actual or what, have a slight morality issue there but, if its one of those two, gunna be pulling the trigger.

That FUZZ tho.
Mine are scheduled to arrive tomorrow, I'll post up some pics and a little review of the quality when they do.
I just called them, they're going to call me back with details about whether it's reclaimed leather or not (and I'm feeling kind of guilty now over not considering that). I'll post up after they call.

Funniest thing about that drat pink fuzzy strap:
I bought it a while back as a laugh to go with one of my purple LPs and we had a good laugh about it in the GC where I snatched it. Didn't really think much about it, seriously, it just keeps the headstock on, right? But it's loud, and bright and hell anything that's fun and obnoxious.

I think I've done 2, MAYBE 3 gigs where someone didn't come up to me at some point bitching about the drat strap for one reason or another.
'Looks like some queer poo poo up there', 'That's a LP you need to put something NICE on that guitar treat it with the respect it deserves' and so on (no, I'm not making GBS threads you, incidentally no one in Boston says poo poo about it other than 'cool', this is all in Alabama).

Walk back into GC a bit later and a couple of the guys come running over, laughing their asses off about a couple of guys who came in, saw the pink straps on the rack and immediately started bitching about 'the human being who had one on stage on his LP'. It's awesome.

Queue forward a couple of months, I pick up the PRS Al DiMeola Prism from them, walk over while we're chatting, looking for a strap. Helpful new guy starts pointing out really nice, subdued and 'normal' straps while I'm chatting with my buds. I say something along the lines of 'nah man, that's some rainbow poo poo on that guitar, I want something out there' so he immediately picks up another pink fuzzy and with a smug look of condescension says 'well, IF you're awfully secure in your manhood and you REALLY don't give a poo poo what people think, you could ALWAYS try something like THIS' and holds it out with a look of 'I loving dare you'.

Facepalms all around as I pull out my phone and show him a pic of one already on my LP.

I've seriously had entirely too much fun with that strap.
Then again, having an oddly colored LP is a trip on its own, too.
Not taking music seriously enough just pisses people off.

Rainbow guitar crew reporting in:

And yes, THIS sumbitch REALLY makes people twitch.

And hell, on the subject of LED's, they're too much fun:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I wish I had a pedal that would give me depth and character.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

massive spider posted:

I wish I had a pedal that would give me depth and character.
Haha, that's my lovely, made-myself 'chorus' pedal that's not really a chorus pedal.
It's bizarre but I dig it.

I HAVE gotten more descriptive with my label maker tho'.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

iostream.h posted:

Haha, that's my lovely, made-myself 'chorus' pedal that's not really a chorus pedal.
It's bizarre but I dig it.

I HAVE gotten more descriptive with my label maker tho'.

making people upset over nothing is one of my favorite hobbies. I can't wait for people to try to tease over a guitar and just laugh in their face. All that is great, actively trolling people on stage without them knowing.

Sick! yeah i fully understood going into it some people are going to HATE that guitar, showed it to my funeral doom bud and he just rolled his eyes.

I really dig that led set up, how do you power it? like I said the 9v in my guitar gets a bit hot so curious if you have similar problems. going to grab a lithium pedal and see if that helps any.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

making people upset over nothing is one of my favorite hobbies. I can't wait for people to try to tease over a guitar and just laugh in their face. All that is great, actively trolling people on stage without them knowing.

Sick! yeah i fully understood going into it some people are going to HATE that guitar, showed it to my funeral doom bud and he just rolled his eyes.

I really dig that led set up, how do you power it? like I said the 9v in my guitar gets a bit hot so curious if you have similar problems. going to grab a lithium pedal and see if that helps any.

That guitar is the first I've been actually truly jealous of in years, it's the bee's knees and anyone that thinks differently needs their head examined.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

It's the best thing ever. Especially when you ask them what they wear/use onstage. ;)

It's just a partial set of some cheapo motorcycle LED's that I soldered a plug on and jacked into the 18v outlet on my ISO-5. They're 12v lights, so far 18v hasn't hurt them at all.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Wait, was this on eBay? Post a link to the listing pls.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Remulak posted:

Wait, was this on eBay? Post a link to the listing pls.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Style-Jazzmaster-Custom-LED-Light-Guitar-/231180679912

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

himajinga posted:

That guitar is the first I've been actually truly jealous of in years, it's the bee's knees and anyone that thinks differently needs their head examined.

I'm a broken human being that just can't get into a rainbow guitar. Though, the lights are pretty cool, and I love JMs so ultimately it wins out. He kept listing it on ebay too so Smash it probably got a killer deal.

A 9V under load is always going to get warm, so don't worry about that. If it gets really, really hot I'd be more concerned, but yeah that's just 9V's.

iostream.h posted:

Rainbow guitar crew reporting in:

That's not rainbow that's Germany Burst!

No photos yet (need to get some to show how much better it is) but I dropped the Modified Mustang bridge in my VMJM, threw on some 10's, and now I'm buzz free and down to the gauge I wanted to play on this guitar.

... and my parents are coming to visit for the weekend in ~1 hour and I won't get to play it much at all.

booshi fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 11, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

booshi posted:

I'm a broken human being
Nah youre still swell. :unsmith:

Yeah, I almost went with either the VMJM or Mascis but, really didn't feel like adding/swapping out the needed stuff to make it super awesome. Rather spend the extra bucks and get a super :gay: guitar. Plus with the case/extra pickups really did not spend that much extra than a new squier JM.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

booshi posted:

Nah, you're still alright man (but only because I know what you did to that other guitar ;) ).

And nope, that's straight up rainbow, good old Roy G Biv, even if it starts in the middle and wraps around the tail.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Got my Perri straps in today and they're pretty nice, especially for how little they cost. Overall I'm pleased.

I dig it, quite a bit.
The padding isn't 'wool', it's a heavy, fairly dense felt (or something very similar) and doesn't feel like it's going to unravel or fray anytime soon.
The leather itself is a bit stretchy, not 'boingy' but has enough give in it so I can move around easily.

The middle one here I'm pretty 'meh' on.
Not their fault, however. It's just wider than I expected (or rather, I ordered a wider one than what I actually WANTED), so totally on me, it's still made well, solid stitching, no issues that I can see. I'll put it on SOMETHING, but yeah, it's huge.

My only real gripe so far. I really like the strap, like the others it's put together well, feels sturdy and isn't at all fragile (that I can tell).
There was no color description in the listing and, like the person who left the Amazon review, I expected it to be MUCH whiter than it is.
It's really more of a 'beige/grey' sort of color, and doesn't look BAD, but it's not white, at ALL.

I'm not quite disappointed enough to return/exchange it tho', so there's that.

I spoke with one of their reps yesterday and they're NOT using any reclaimed leather at this point.
We actually ended up talking for quite a while, he was asking me what I thought and would I rather purchase reclaimed leather straps and just picked my brain for a bit.
They're very open to the idea based on what he was saying, so I guess just keep looking at their stuff and/or send them an email.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

iostream.h posted:

I spoke with one of their reps yesterday and they're NOT using any reclaimed leather at this point.
We actually ended up talking for quite a while, he was asking me what I thought and would I rather purchase reclaimed leather straps and just picked my brain for a bit.
They're very open to the idea based on what he was saying, so I guess just keep looking at their stuff and/or send them an email.

they all look dreamy :allears: I guess I should just message them with the same inquiry and make it plane to them that I WOULD purchase it if it was reclaimed leather. Might as well, thanks for the heads up!

Just going ahead and order a cheap EB purple strap because I need one at the moment. Going to keep my eyes peeled for the perfect match for my JM.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

they all look dreamy :allears: I guess I should just message them with the same inquiry and make it plane to them that I WOULD purchase it if it was reclaimed leather. Might as well, thanks for the heads up!
Shoot Trevor an email, sales at perris.ca

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

booshi posted:

I was going to say it looked like an ocean sunset, but then I noticed the tiny hint of green a the bottom. So pretty!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Yeah, like people who hate pickguards and poker chips on Les Pauls.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

Yeah, like people who hate pickguards and poker chips on Les Pauls.
There's trolling and then there's just plain wrong.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

iostream.h posted:

There's trolling and then there's just plain wrong.

And there's in the middle. The pickguard was a self-evident offense when I got my Faux Paul, but I never thought about/heard the term "poker chip" until it came up in this thread recently. I still need to see how she looks without it, but the rhythm/treble legend just seems somehow essential to the LP character to me.

e: And I just made my newest gear purchase, the musician's friend stupid deal of the day is the tascam dp-006 six-track pocketstudio for $80.

e2: Wow, and you can get a $30 mail-in-rebate.

Manky fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 12, 2014

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

I was going to just flip my poker chip (the lettering is pointless imo) but I just kept it off. Looks a lot better.

Pick guard is still on the LP for now though.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
if I ever own a LP I will let y'all know who is right. :smug:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
That Jazzmaster multicolour beast is amazing.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Manky posted:

And there's in the middle.
In all seriousness I don't really care. I generally prefer the look of a naked LP but the whole it's wrong thing is just for the fun of taking sides over something harmless. Like my position on posting the cap of a fountain pen.

Don't.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

iostream.h posted:

In all seriousness I don't really care. I generally prefer the look of a naked LP but the whole it's wrong thing is just for the fun of taking sides over something harmless. Like my position on posting the cap of a fountain pen.

Don't.

Yeah it's kind of a running joke almost. Ultimately I've noticed everyone in ML (I recently started posting here, I used to post on other guitar boards) has a "to each their own" attitude, which is exactly how it should be for musicians!

Honestly what was bugging me about the poker chip was the lettering, and I was going to flip it but there was a bunch of glue on the other side and I left it off for a bit and I like it more. I'm considering taking off the pickguard because I love the finish on my guitar but sometimes when I rock out I lose it and start hitting my pickguard a lot.

Off to intonate my JM's new bridge then I'll post photos. 9s on my JM :)

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Funny this came up, I was planning to put 9's on my Squier Mascis JM. I liked the half-round 10's when I played mostly acoustic, but now that I play my XII most of the time they seem ludicrous.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I've wanted a Diamond Compressor since they first came out with the damned thing, and I finally got one - I think I already posted it, but I may not have, who knows. However, I looked around and decided that I would be better suited with the Bass Compressor model... Here's two pics, one by somebody competent with a good camera, and then mine which I had to rotate and crop and which looks like poo poo but at least shows that it's mine gat drat it.

This is how to properly take pictures, unlike my half-assed old 3GS phone camera attempts :v:

That said, there are ~1340 like it, but this poorly captured image shows that this one is mine (serial number 1339):

Everything nice about the Diamond Comp is nice about this, too. It has a character that is unlike any other opto-comp I've ever used, including the Teletronix LA-2A repro by UA, as well as other optical compressors more explicitly designed for instruments and put forward in a pedal format (whether vactrol package or discrete LDR, think BBE Opto-Stomp, Bjorn/Bearfoot PGC and FGC, Strymon OB-1, and probably my favorite previously used opto-comp, the Earthquaker Devices Warden - that's a hot fuckin' pedal, lots of control).

This is my favorite. It just sounds completely amazing. I'll just do a quick pros/cons so you can get an idea of why I returned the Diamond Compressor and got the Diamond Bass Compressor instead. The short version is "they're the same, except the bass one does more."

Pros:
1. Two separate frequency centers for the badass tilt EQ. 900Hz is great, but it pretty much just adds or reduces some treble, which is only so useful; having the option to take it down to 250Hz is fantastic as that allows you to add some oomph to the lower midrange (or emphasize the bass more). It is not trivial to change a tilt EQ frequency center, read the link for more on why if you're electronically inclined, so this is a cool option for them to include (and does, as it says, make it more useful for bass as well, if that's your instrument of choice or what you're tracking at the time).

2. Higher voltage operation; it ships with an 18V adapter and that's where it's comfortable at but it can run up to 24V for the highest headroom operation. Handy for active pickups or really really high output.

3. Beefy caps make it great for handling bass frequencies, but it also helps with dropped tunings and just in general makes it handle whatever material comes its way really well.

4. It maintains every control option and feature from the Diamond CPR-1 Compressor, including the internal option to remove the EQ from the circuit if you wish (don't! the EQ is so good), and the ability to swap a jumper over to put in a lowpass filter at around 4.3KHz to help control higher treble and presence; defaults to being out of the circuit, but putting it in and setting the EQ to the 250Hz center and boosting the mid-bass can help fatten up brighter guitars nicely. This is, again, a feature that it brings over from the original model, but it's cool enough that I felt like it was worth mentioning :)

Cons:

1. Doesn't allow battery operation. Sorry 9V friends.

2. Importantly, runs with a positive polarity instead of the muuuuch more common negative polarity. Get the adapter confused with something else in your board when assembling in a hurry and you might kill the pedal and whatever you accidentally plugged its higher voltage, center-pin positive adapter into. That'd be a serious fuckin' oopsie if you happened to accidentally plug the positive polarity adapter into a daisy chain feed, hope all your pedals are using either MOSFET protection circuitry or at least a diode/resistor combo (which is an imperfect but common means of protecting a circuit; common because it's cheap, imperfect because it's essentially an electrical race to see if the diode will die and stop supplying damaging power to the circuit before said power does any damage TO the circuit). This is probably the biggest drawback, though they do supply a handy polarity reversing little cable so that you can use your preferred power supply with it and not kill it.

3. It does have a fixed, somewhat low ratio - if you want the benefits of the smooth vactrol/ldr comp sound but feel the need to adjust more than just the threshold, get an Earthquaker Devices Warden, as that's another killer optical compressor. Nonetheless, this comp has a great deal of character with the EQ engaged and the lowpass active, but can be quite transparent apart from the compression itself with the filter and EQ taken out of the circuit. There's a reason people seem to love these things and it clicked with me immediately. Oh poo poo this isn't a "con" anymore oops :allears:

Basically this thing is great and I highly recommend it. Unique sound, they advertise it as being sort of a guitar/bass channel strip, and while it isn't balanced, that's pretty accurate in terms of its features. Extremely low noise, way more versatile than a three-knob comp has a right to be, the layout inside is absolute art (seriously, the guys at Diamond are reeeeally good with layouts and it goes a long way toward minimizing noise to the absolute lowest possible level).

The only reason I can think that you might want to get the regular one instead of this one is if you MUST use a 9V battery with it, and you're afraid of positive polarity. Otherwise, it's basically just an improvement in every way over the original Diamond Comp, for not all that much more dough.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Agreed posted:

Diamond Compressor

Might have been a different thread, but you brought up tilt EQ before. Glad you finally got your hands on one :)

As an aside, I'm still planning on working on a tilt EQ pedal because after you posted about it it sounds awesome.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

gently caress you Mr Soundguy, I'll handle my mix myself, thanks.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

iostream.h posted:

gently caress you Mr Soundguy, I'll handle my mix myself, thanks.

Nice! although you should be nice to the sound guy :( he's trying his best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Ericadia posted:

Nice! although you should be nice to the sound guy :( he's trying his best

I actually bear no ill will to sound guys, it's a thankless job and I DO do my best to help (I have various spots on my cab marked for different frequency response, I'm always ready to flip my cabs backwards to avoid laser beams, etc) and while we generally get a pretty good overall floor mix, I've had absolute poo poo luck getting myself in the monitors for the past year.

The final straw was the last guy who had no clue what sub mixes were and how to set them up.

I'm honestly not some horribly picky prima donna, I just want to hear myself in the mix too. :smith: