Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Blasted it with some muc off and a hose. That stuff is seriously magic, doesn't even need scrubbing to get most dirt off.

I genuinely forgot how good my bike looks when you can actually see the paint :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Continuing the winter of Ducati riding, I put one of these on there. I have one on my Road Glide, but I figured adding it to the bike that doesn't weigh a thousand pounds would be better for winter riding.

The weird thing is I'd been searching everywhere for the same one I had, made by First Gear, and couldn't find anything. I was finding stuff by "Warm & Safe Heated Gear LLC" but that's a different company, right? Well RevZilla sent me the Warm & Safe heated controller/lead and it turns out they're exactly the same. Warm & Safe's website is considerably more of a piece of poo poo, but they apparently sell the same equipment. I'm half expecting to peel back the label and find a faded First Gear sticker on there.

So if you're looking for one and can only find the other, apparently it doesn't matter.

And if you've never used heated base layer stuff, I was riding today in 34° and had to pull over and turn the poo poo down because I was sweating and fogging up my visor.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Strife posted:

Continuing the winter of Ducati riding, I put one of these on there. I have one on my Road Glide, but I figured adding it to the bike that doesn't weigh a thousand pounds would be better for winter riding.

The weird thing is I'd been searching everywhere for the same one I had, made by First Gear, and couldn't find anything. I was finding stuff by "Warm & Safe Heated Gear LLC" but that's a different company, right? Well RevZilla sent me the Warm & Safe heated controller/lead and it turns out they're exactly the same. Warm & Safe's website is considerably more of a piece of poo poo, but they apparently sell the same equipment. I'm half expecting to peel back the label and find a faded First Gear sticker on there.

So if you're looking for one and can only find the other, apparently it doesn't matter.

And if you've never used heated base layer stuff, I was riding today in 34° and had to pull over and turn the poo poo down because I was sweating and fogging up my visor.

As you already figured out, Warm n Safe OEMs heated gear for a few brands, FirstGear among them

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

threw an adjustable clutch sl*ve on the KTM since my better half got me a milwaukee fuel stubby and a fuel ratchet and I love projects :D

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

right arm posted:

threw an adjustable clutch sl*ve on the KTM since my better half got me a milwaukee fuel stubby and a fuel ratchet and I love projects :D

I've wanted one of the ratchets for a while, but it'd be the only Fuel tool I have that uses the cylindrical batteries, meaning I'd have to keep a second charger around just for it. Hand tools, it is

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

I've wanted one of the ratchets for a while, but it'd be the only Fuel tool I have that uses the cylindrical batteries, meaning I'd have to keep a second charger around just for it. Hand tools, it is

:hellyeah:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I'm trying to replace a broken foot peg on my 401 and losing my poo poo. Can anyone explain how to remove this pin? I've removed the ciip at the bottom but it will not loving budge. I've tried hitting it from the bottom using a punch and a hammer and got nothing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spray with wd-40 and hit it harder, there's nothing else keeping it in there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s possible the spring is grabbing it I guess, but yeah. Hit it harder. If the clip is off, that’s all that would be stopping it normally

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Sure enough, I just had to bang the poo poo out of it (after removing the exhaust can so I had room to do so).

Also, the OEM footpeg I ordered is of a completely different design than the one that came on my bike. Is this normal practice for manufacturers? I double checked the part number and year and everything. Is it fake or something? I got it from ebay.

I mean it fits fine, it just don't match the rest.

e: tell me it's not because i ordered the KTM part instead of the Husqvarna part.. surely they don't use the same part numbers with different designs for different bikes... right?

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 27, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Almost certainly it is two different parts because (1) KTM and Husqvarna were different companies until a few years ago, (2) Lol KTM, (3) Lol Husqvarna, and (4) Lol even Honda pulls that poo poo where a part number could refer to several different undocumented versions of the same part throughout the product lifecycle. Just be glad it's a footpeg and not something like a camshaft

that said if it fits it fits so there's no problem leaving it there. Change it if the look bugs you

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

CheddarGoblin posted:

Sure enough, I just had to bang the poo poo out of it (after removing the exhaust can so I had room to do so).

Also, the OEM footpeg I ordered is of a completely different design than the one that came on my bike. Is this normal practice for manufacturers? I double checked the part number and year and everything. Is it fake or something? I got it from ebay.

I mean it fits fine, it just don't match the rest.

e: tell me it's not because i ordered the KTM part instead of the Husqvarna part.. surely they don't use the same part numbers with different designs for different bikes... right?

I've had the same thing happen but fortunately it was with a chain slider, not a part of which there's two on the bike. It's weird though because often they do change the part number when a part is modified.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Another thing with peg pins is that they can have horizontal groves at the in them after years of use, making them harder to get out. But that's on high milage/old bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a 401 so the two holes weren't quite the right size or in the right place, the pin was made of plated pewter and the part number supercedes to a duke 390 peg because the factory in mumbai cbf making two different ones anymore.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
At $15 it's far from my most expensive lesson, just more annoying than anything. I wonder what the logic is behind reusing part numbers instead of making them globally unique.

e: i'm guessing it's marginally more convenient for the factory with zero fucks given about everyone after the fact

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 29, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Probably some goofy poo poo stemming from an extremely old and/or broken erp

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

VFR carbs were leaking so they got new tube o-rings, new bowl gaskets, and new float valves. Had to separate one of the carbs from the rack to get at the tubes but did not have to touch the sync screws. Going to sync it anyway due to mileage and years.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

changed the oil (28000mi) last night (I love my milwaukee fuel ratchet :D)

I also love the snow :D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Brapping in the snow is the most forbidden fun

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My M12 fuel ratchet gets the most use out of any power tool I have. It's not going to remove suspension bolts on a car, but it will remove more than you'd expect if you tighten the bolt first to break it loose then switch back to the removal setting. I just moved my power rack from my back yard to my garage with it and it would have taken 10x as long without it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

My M12 fuel ratchet gets the most use out of any power tool I have. It's not going to remove suspension bolts on a car, but it will remove more than you'd expect if you tighten the bolt first to break it loose then switch back to the removal setting. I just moved my power rack from my back yard to my garage with it and it would have taken 10x as long without it.

it's so loving good lol

I did the brakes and diffs on our forester over the new years weekend (do not recommend using an impact hungover :D) and while I barfed a couple of times, I still got the job done waaaaay faster than I would have if I didn't have the ratchet

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right arm posted:

it's so loving good lol

I did the brakes and diffs on our forester over the new years weekend (do not recommend using an impact hungover :D) and while I barfed a couple of times, I still got the job done waaaaay faster than I would have if I didn't have the ratchet

Legendary

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

After replacing some questionable purchases (some of my own making), I took my DRZ to get its annual inspection.

All OK, except Rear tyre and chains needed replacing, so bought a DID sprocket/chain set, and Dunlop (sportmax) Mutant rubber.

And an ultrasonic cleaner for the used FCR carb I bought.

:homebrew:

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 11, 2021

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I ended up buying a 2020 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT this weekend:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

:drat:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Skreemer posted:

I ended up buying a 2020 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT this weekend:

:hellyeah: the lc8 is so good lol

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

Added some storage capacity to my (first) bike. Now I can pack provisions etc. & extend my range a bit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m kind of bummed that the OEM panniers on my N650 don’t play well with a tail tidy because it brings the turn signals in too far. My options are either put the whale tail back on or get a horrible integrated turn signal tail light which I’m fundamentally against :(

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
New shift lever arrived so I swapped that in. Also removed and disassembled the rear brake switch, cleaned the contacts, and put it back.

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

Got it home from the Previous owner, hosed it off and parked it. More pictures of crazy czech tech is probably coming in the next days.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What's all that white stuff?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

In between throwing a ball down the yard for an hour and a half, I got a set of procycle side racks onto the DR.

Now I just gotta find some bags that aren't stupid expensive but are dust/waterproof enough, and maybe another dog to distract this one while I'm trying to do stuff.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I made some indicator mounts for the swinggarm plate carrier.

https://imgur.com/x3rmG5o
https://imgur.com/8EDu2z4
https://imgur.com/qsNQUod

Shin-Yo Cube3 lights housed in 3D printed PETG.

I was originally trying to mount them to a bit of alu bar but couldn’t find anywhere to mount the bar to. So stuck it to the plate with 3M VHB.

Hopefully it survives. Not a long term solution, the bikes getting exported in a few months and will need a different plate.

[Edit] can’t get the thumbnails to work on mobile

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 23, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

3m VHB seems like it will hold pretty much anything to anything

Horse Clocks posted:

[Edit] can’t get the thumbnails to work on mobile

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Decided it’s time to put the FCR carb back together.

Before:

After:

Ended up with three identical O-rings from the rebuild kit that I’m. It sure where they go. And a small washer that I have no idea where it came from.

Unfortunately, I still have no idea what jets to buy for the DRZ. And the intake adapter doesn’t seem to fit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If it's a tiny washer like the one in the tray in the last pic, it goes between the spring and o-ring on the pilot screw, you won't get a good setting without it.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

If it's a tiny washer like the one in the tray in the last pic, it goes between the spring and o-ring on the pilot screw, you won't get a good setting without it.

There’s already a washer there. And yes, it’s that washer.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Replaced my front brake pads at the last possible minute, they were so far down they were starting to freeze. Distinct possibility I've hosed the o-rings by not cleaning the pistons properly but that's a problem for future me.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Put some Oxford heated grips on and :eyepop: wow are they worth it for Colorado winters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
A while back I was finally able to convince my boss to sell me this 1988 Honda Elite ES50 scooter that's been sitting buried in the back room of the shop for past 10-12+ years. It was once used as a parts shuttle between the shop and a local parts distribution warehouse just up the street; but it quit running one day and was simply put off to the side and forgotten about. Until now. I picked up a simple motorcycle service lift from Amazon and a service manual from eBay, and have begun the process of going through the entire bike; top to bottom and in and out. I was able to get a few things sorted with it before the Winter lockdown put a hamper on everything.

- The battery that came with it was stone dead, but I was able to get it to hold a charge long enough to confirm that the electrical system is still in good working order. Including lights, turn signals, horn, starter motor and ignition.
- The throttle valve in the carburetor was completely stuck closed and the front brake actuator lever was sticking badly. They are now free and functioning properly after cleaning and flushing with carb cleaner and WD-40. Only other issue is the pull lever on the handlebar is bent outward and must be replaced.
- Other than needing a new drive belt, the clutch and drivetrain are solid and will clean up just fine. Same with the brakes, just sticky and dirty from lack of use.
- The fuel tank was home to three decades worth of filth, sludge, varnish and rust. I couldn't believe the nastiness that came out of it; and it's my firm belief that the completely clogged filter screen inside is why the engine stopped running in the first place:

Short potato vid of the liquid remnants in the drain pan. Linked for size and :barf:

I don't have any after pics yet, but I was able to save it using several flushes of acetone with handfuls of cheap stainless hardware and vigorous shaking. It now has a fresh coat of ceramic paint, and new valve and screen along with all new fuel and vacuum hoses. I also drained and flushed out the oil tank and its screen as well.
Hopefully within the next month or so if/when the weather lets up a bit I can get back out there with some fresh fuel and 2-cycle oil and try to get it started.