Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

This reminds me of every eastern washington town I drive through when I'm going pheasant hunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The Lake District is pretty awesome, I'd recommend hitting Helvellyn and Scafell if you get the chance.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I wanted to do Scafell but that hike around Buttermere wiped me. I didn't realize that the lake district was full of loving mountains.

It is gorgeous though.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
I went hiking in the Northwest Territories.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Lankster NZ
Jul 21, 2007

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

rawimg (659).jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

gently caress yes. Love this.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

_DSC3757 by Maciej, on Flickr

Bought a 500mm mirror lens from a fellow goon few years back and never really had a chance to play around with it much. It is pretty bad rear end. Bokey is all weird, and without stabilization/support it makes you feel like you have parkinsons, but I was still able to use it free hand with some pushed tri-x. This is a photo of the top of empire state building from the ground below. Now I just have to use it to make interesting photos.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Yeast posted:

gently caress yes. Love this.

Thanks, that place was cool as hell. It's a ~100 y/o house in Nara built by an old tea master, and now it's being run by some of the local college students as a backpacker hostel. The house wraps around that interior garden and its got all hand rolled glass windows and paper walls. It's like right across the street from the park and big temples and was cheap as hell, I kinda wished I stayed there more than one night.

Hiroshima atomic bomb dome, last building standing from the blast

That's way cool, it has that old rear end intelligence photo look to it. Also surprised that a 500mm mirror lens looks ok.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Putrid Grin posted:

Bought a 500mm mirror lens from a fellow goon few years back and never really had a chance to play around with it much. It is pretty bad rear end. Bokey is all weird, and without stabilization/support it makes you feel like you have parkinsons, but I was still able to use it free hand with some pushed tri-x. This is a photo of the top of empire state building from the ground below. Now I just have to use it to make interesting photos.

drat, that's surprisingly good. Is that one of those Opteka/Bower mirror lenses? Those things are so cheap I almost feel obligated to buy them just to have around.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Putrid Grin posted:

That’s awesome. I’m also wondering what kind it is - I was looking for a cheap dumb long lens to adapt to my a7ii and haven’t decided on one yet.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

rio posted:

That’s awesome. I’m also wondering what kind it is - I was looking for a cheap dumb long lens to adapt to my a7ii and haven’t decided on one yet.

It is a Makinon MC Mirror Reflex Lens, 500mm F8. Reading up on it, it seems that Makina was generally known to make not so stellar lenses. Curious what it would look like on a high resolution modern dslr....

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is the photo with the mirror lens that got posted a crop from the center?

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Is the photo with the mirror lens that got posted a crop from the center?

Nope. Thats a full frame. Tri-X at 1600. Handheld. So the actual quality of the lens might be better than pictured, when used at lower iso and on a tripod. If there is interest I can slap it on my dslr and post samples tomorrow.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Some mirror lenses were very sharp. They just have weird bokeh and fixed aperture. I think Minolta made one of the best, in MD and alpha mount.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

What does the bokeh look like? Cool weird or poo poo weird? I tend to like weird bokeh but if I got one I would probably be shooting stuff that did have bokeh since I wouldn’t just be using it for things in the sky.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

rio posted:

What does the bokeh look like? Cool weird or poo poo weird? I tend to like weird bokeh but if I got one I would probably be shooting stuff that did have bokeh since I wouldn’t just be using it for things in the sky.

Squirrely. Light points become doughnuts.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Putrid Grin posted:

Squirrely. Light points become doughnuts.

Oh, that would make sense due to the construction. I think I could deal with that (not like I’m going to use the photos professionally). Thanks for the info.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Made it to work before sunrise the other morning and had my camera.
Chicago Loop Sunrise by charliebravo77, on Flickr

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

this is unpleasant to look at in a bad way.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Buriram Province, Thailand.

IMG_9158.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_9140.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Phanom Rung,a 10th century Hindu temple built by the Khmer.

IMG_9096.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_9114.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

iSheep fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 12, 2018

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Finally back from the trip, haven't processed anything yet.
Took over 1k photos though, here are some early choice ones.

Had a lot of reflections available.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

This is rad.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I love this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Thanks!