Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Blakkout posted:

Anyone ever written an addendum to their law school application? I didn't disclose a few moving violations on my original application, and I need to write one before I apply for the bar. I'm specifically wondering what kind of detail I should provide, and how I should format it. I also know that I got a speeding ticket that doesn't appear to be on my record anymore. Can I just say "Approximately May of 2005, this isn't on my record and I don't know why," or what?

On my bar application, I disclosed a speeding ticket that dropped off of my record, and stating an approximate date and location wasn't an issue. It was probably overkill, but I didn't want to be accused of failing to disclose. It's definitely overkill for law school, but I don't think that it would hurt you to list it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ersatz posted:

On my bar application, I disclosed a speeding ticket that dropped off of my record, and stating an approximate date and location wasn't an issue. It was probably overkill, but I didn't want to be accused of failing to disclose. It's definitely overkill for law school, but I don't think that it would hurt you to list it.
Minnesota Bar specifically requires documentation of even minor moving violations. I had a stop sign violation dismissed and had to disclose it and almost had to get court papers to prove it.
That said, I don't think UMN asked about traffic infractions. If they didn't ask you didn't have to disclose.
UMN will let you look at your application, so just look at it. If you didn't disclose, fix it. If you didn't have to, stop worrying.

The Gnome
Sep 8, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Alright, I'm in serious need of some lawyer help right now. This is killing me and I'm not sure if it's right or wrong, or what else I can add to it to make sure I cover EVERYTHING. Please lawgoons you will help me so much with this!

code:
Joe the accountant is hired by American Land Trust (ALT), a midsize corporation that sells limited 
partnerships to investors.  ALT buys and fixes up distressed commercial and residential properties, all over the country.

Each time ALT purchases a property, they submit financial statements in order to secure loans and to attract investors.

Joe, the accountant, uses and old accounting statement from the previous accountant, Tom Skinner, who is currently in
 jail for falsifying business records and other financial crimes.  None of the crimes dealt with ALT.

Joe says "screw it".  ALT is not paying me enough to do a full accounting so I have decided to use Tom Skinner's numbers and update them.

Joe is asked by ALT for financial statements for a new investment group called Amalgamated Funding Based on Joe's report, 
Amalgamated lends ALT over 10 Million Dollars.

Joe also prepares a new financial statement for ALT in order for ALT to get a "factor" loan from Amalgamated Factor Bank (AFB).  
A factor loan is a loan against account receivables.  Joe makes up the numbers from thin air.  AFB Lends ALT Five Million dollars.

Jim Farrell a very disreputable investor likes to cut corners by breakers into accountants offices and copying financial statements.  
Jim Farrell broke into Joe's offices and photocopied the ALT accounting statements.  Those reports were not made public for several weeks.  
Jim bought shares of ALT based on Joe's financial statements.

ALT goes bankrupt.  There is no money for anyone.  All of the players, including ALT, Skinner, Amalgamated Factor Bank, Jim Farrell all want 
to know what their rights are and what claims do they have against Joe the accountant.  Also explain Joe's liability in common law and statutory law.

One of the ALT investors, Phil Plantere, used his statement that he had over $500,00.00 in assets with ALT as the reason to buy a summer home.  
Phil can no longer pay the mortgage on the summer home asked you if Joe the accountant can be liable for his mortgage or investment.

My findings are very limited, as I'm so lost, but I have found the following information and unsure as to if it's correct or what else I'm missing:

Joe is asked by ALT - Actually Named Third Parties (Negligence) (Travelers Casualty and Surety Co. v. Ernst & Young)

Joe prepares for AFB…Fraud (Overton v. Todman & Co)

Under Common Law, an accountant can be held liable to some third
parties who are damaged by a negligently prepared financial statement.
Accountants are also liable to some third parties if they
deliberately make fraudulent statements.

ALT can seek damages from Joe the accountant on the basis of
negligence and fraud.

Tom Skinner can seek no damages, as there was no crime committed for
his part. He was already serving time for what he did, and cannot be
tried again for the same case.

AFB can seek damages on the bases of fraud on the basis named third party

Jim Farrell can seek nothing because a company’s stock price is not
influenced by the accounting firms, but by market forces. (Oregon
Steel Mills, Inc. v. Coopers & Lybrand, LLP,
)

Phil can recover damages due to Fraud (Travelers Casualty v. Earnst & Young)

Thank you so much!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Yeah, this isn't the legal advice or the help you with my homework thread.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

nm posted:

What law school made you disclose moving violations? Just because the bar wants it doesn't mean you need an addendum if the question didn't ask for it.

I got bitched out for not disclosing that I got written up freshman/sophomore year for having a beer in my room a couple times. Had to write an addendum to my application explaining how I paid a $10 fine six years ago. :jerkbag:

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

I got bitched out for not disclosing that I got written up freshman/sophomore year for having a beer in my room a couple times. Had to write an addendum to my application explaining how I paid a $10 fine six years ago. :jerkbag:

lol

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

The Gnome posted:

Alright, I'm in serious need of some lawyer help right now. This is killing me and I'm not sure if it's right or wrong, or what else I can add to it to make sure I cover EVERYTHING. Please lawgoons you will help me so much with this!

code:
Joe the accountant is hired by American Land Trust (ALT), a midsize corporation that sells limited 
partnerships to investors.  ALT buys and fixes up distressed commercial and residential properties, all over the country.

Each time ALT purchases a property, they submit financial statements in order to secure loans and to attract investors.

Joe, the accountant, uses and old accounting statement from the previous accountant, Tom Skinner, who is currently in
 jail for falsifying business records and other financial crimes.  None of the crimes dealt with ALT.

Joe says "screw it".  ALT is not paying me enough to do a full accounting so I have decided to use Tom Skinner's numbers and update them.

Joe is asked by ALT for financial statements for a new investment group called Amalgamated Funding Based on Joe's report, 
Amalgamated lends ALT over 10 Million Dollars.

Joe also prepares a new financial statement for ALT in order for ALT to get a "factor" loan from Amalgamated Factor Bank (AFB).  
A factor loan is a loan against account receivables.  Joe makes up the numbers from thin air.  AFB Lends ALT Five Million dollars.

Jim Farrell a very disreputable investor likes to cut corners by breakers into accountants offices and copying financial statements.  
Jim Farrell broke into Joe's offices and photocopied the ALT accounting statements.  Those reports were not made public for several weeks.  
Jim bought shares of ALT based on Joe's financial statements.

ALT goes bankrupt.  There is no money for anyone.  All of the players, including ALT, Skinner, Amalgamated Factor Bank, Jim Farrell all want 
to know what their rights are and what claims do they have against Joe the accountant.  Also explain Joe's liability in common law and statutory law.

One of the ALT investors, Phil Plantere, used his statement that he had over $500,00.00 in assets with ALT as the reason to buy a summer home.  
Phil can no longer pay the mortgage on the summer home asked you if Joe the accountant can be liable for his mortgage or investment.

My findings are very limited, as I'm so lost, but I have found the following information and unsure as to if it's correct or what else I'm missing:

Joe is asked by ALT - Actually Named Third Parties (Negligence) (Travelers Casualty and Surety Co. v. Ernst & Young)

negligence and fraud.

)

Phil can recover damages due to Fraud (Travelers Casualty v. Earnst & Young)

Thank you so much!

kill yourself hope this helps

P.S. you're missing a lot

J Miracle fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 21, 2011

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
You have made a few mistakes, which I've stricken through below. New additions are in underline. It's been a while since law school, so maybe some other lawgoons can jump in and correct my citations and/or issues I failed to spot. Good luck on your exam!

quote:

However, Joe may have a "Work for hire" defense in that he was underpaid to prepare the financial statements, as long as the quality of the work he performed was commensurate with the amount he was paid to prepare the documents. (see Palsgraf v. Williams)

negligence and fraud. ALT cannot seek damages on the basis of negligence because they are sophisticated clients, and are responsible for vetting their numbers with an independent third party. (see State Street v. AIG)

)

Phil cannot recover damages due to Fraud (Travelers Casualty v. Earnst & Young) unless he initiates a shareholders derivative lawsuit against ALT charging Joe as an executive of ALT (Citi v. Ernst & Young). Joe may be liable as an executive due to the "pass-through" doctrine articulated in Gissel v. Carter.

Thank you so much!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Repeating what I said last time we had a goon ask for help on his exam:

If you cheat on your law school exams and get caught, you will probably be denied admission to the bar. Don't do this, you're going to get a B anyway.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Sounds like a 1L exam? lol, this is just trouble.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Blakkout posted:

Anyone ever written an addendum to their law school application? I didn't disclose a few moving violations on my original application, and I need to write one before I apply for the bar. I'm specifically wondering what kind of detail I should provide, and how I should format it. I also know that I got a speeding ticket that doesn't appear to be on my record anymore. Can I just say "Approximately May of 2005, this isn't on my record and I don't know why," or what?
I did this. I just e-mailed our admissions department person and said "Hey I forgot to mention this and want to make sure my law school application matches my bar application. Can I supplement?" and they told me to just email them a short statement that they'd stick it in my file. It never came up during my bar admission process.

10-8 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 21, 2011

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Partner dropped by my office today with a holiday gift. He gave me a little speech, and I think he was trying to be supportive, but it sounded a bit like a veiled threat.

"[HiddenReplaced], you've been doing great work, and we're really happy to have you here. One way to get on my bad side is to cut corners and not work hard, but you haven't done that yet. If you want to stay on my good side, keep doing what you're doing." ::hands me the gift::

"uhh...thank you..."

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HiddenReplaced posted:

Partner dropped by my office today with a holiday gift. He gave me a little speech, and I think he was trying to be supportive, but it sounded a bit like a veiled threat.

"[HiddenReplaced], you've been doing great work, and we're really happy to have you here. One way to get on my bad side is to cut corners and not work hard, but you haven't done that yet. If you want to stay on my good side, keep doing what you're doing." ::hands me the gift::

"uhh...thank you..."

hahahaha.

Yesterday my supervising partner asked me how I was handling the work, and whether I felt like I was fitting in. All of this was said with a smile, and then he said "You know, because it takes a certain type of personality to fit into our team. Some people can't stand the chaotic way we do things."

And I was left wondering... does he think I am fitting in, or not? I may ask him today.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

"uhh...thank you..."
Vaguely malevolent partners are the best partners

entris posted:

hahahaha.

Yesterday my supervising partner asked me how I was handling the work, and whether I felt like I was fitting in. All of this was said with a smile, and then he said "You know, because it takes a certain type of personality to fit into our team. Some people can't stand the chaotic way we do things."

And I was left wondering... does he think I am fitting in, or not? I may ask him today.

Do not do this you sperg

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I had a partner call me completely unprofessional today because I had the wrong address on a cover letter to him and because I used the word "either" when I should have used "each" or "any". Gah.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

entris posted:

I had a partner call me completely unprofessional today because I had the wrong address on a cover letter to him and because I used the word "either" when I should have used "each" or "any". Gah.

I seriously cannot understand how people get this way. I used to get yelled at all the time for things like the # of lines between "Sincerely" and the partner's name.

Is it just a ploy to add billable hours? Why aren't they worried about actual revenue producing things?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, the address thing is kind of a big deal in my field. If I had actually mailed the package to that address, the wrong person would have gotten drafts of the partner's estate planning documents - which is obviously a bad thing.

And he was correct about the "either" thing, which wasn't a big deal in my mind but he commented that "because of those two errors, I assumed that the actual documents were wrong as well." (they weren't!)

I think the idea is this: if you can't spot and fix the simple errors like a wrong address or a wrong word, then you will probably miss more important errors. It is also an indicator that you weren't paying attention, or you didn't revise, or you didn't double-check the facts, all of which suggest that you are a careless attorney that can't be trusted with more important things.

At least, that's what I'm assuming the take-away lesson is.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

entris posted:

Well, the address thing is kind of a big deal in my field.

At least, that's what I'm assuming the take-away lesson is.

I just don't buy it. Humans make errors all the time (even partners). You don't want a document that will get laughed out of court but I could spend 10 hours on a document making sure everything is absolutely perfect or I could spend 5 hours on a document that is just fine. I'm not talking about screwing up the facts of a pleading or failing to plead a cause of action or defense. It's the accidental triple space after a period and poo poo like that. Yes I get that I should have only had two spaces (or one depending on blah blah) but it's not a game changing earth shattering opportunity to heap shame upon an Associate.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I passed partial sig!

e: Now I have to work more for the same money! :suicide:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Roger_Mudd posted:

I just don't buy it. Humans make errors all the time (even partners). You don't want a document that will get laughed out of court but I could spend 10 hours on a document making sure everything is absolutely perfect or I could spend 5 hours on a document that is just fine. I'm not talking about screwing up the facts of a pleading or failing to plead a cause of action or defense. It's the accidental triple space after a period and poo poo like that. Yes I get that I should have only had two spaces (or one depending on blah blah) but it's not a game changing earth shattering opportunity to heap shame upon an Associate.

I love going into court and watching the partners next to me waiting for cases getting their double-billing on by going line-by-line over an associate's brief, pointing out typos or changing around phrasing, not even really looking at the underlying legal arguments that actually matter.

Seriously, neither the judge nor the clerk that actually reads your poo poo cares whether you used an em dash or an en dash, and it's disgusting how much time, energy and money is spent on that sort of thing.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Man firm life sounds like pure poo poo. My boss handed me a few rolled up bills a few days ago and called it my Christmas bonus, telling me it was courtesy of some crooked Somalis.

Crim law owns y'all.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Abugadu posted:

Seriously, neither the judge nor the clerk that actually reads your poo poo cares whether you used an em dash or an en dash, and it's disgusting how much time, energy and money is spent on that sort of thing.
I dunno. There is one or two judges in every court around here who cares about picky poo poo (not that picky)
Nice not to have some jerk pick apart technical crap when you have a solid argument.

I have to admit one thing that annoys me. When people use double spacing on 28 line paper (which makes it have like 26 line). this annoys the poo poo out of me. Oh god, what have I become? :ohdear:

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Man firm life sounds like pure poo poo. My boss handed me a few rolled up bills a few days ago and called it my Christmas bonus, telling me it was courtesy of some crooked Somalis.

Crim law owns y'all.

Sweet sweet money laundering.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Abugadu posted:

I love going into court and watching the partners next to me waiting for cases getting their double-billing on by going line-by-line over an associate's brief, pointing out typos or changing around phrasing, not even really looking at the underlying legal arguments that actually matter.

Here's the thing: when I see work product that pays a modicum of attention to page layout and typography, I tend to treat that work product with at least a little more deference than when I see work product that clearly just used Word's default settings for everything, without regard to whether those settings were appropriate for the task.

I tend to assume that someone who cares enough to put effort into these small details also probably put some effort into the bigger issues, like underlying legal analysis. It's not a universal truth, but I've had very few occasions where this theory hasn't held up.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

10-8 posted:

Here's the thing: when I see work product that pays a modicum of attention to page layout and typography, I tend to treat that work product with at least a little more deference than when I see work product that clearly just used Word's default settings for everything, without regard to whether those settings were appropriate for the task.

I tend to assume that someone who cares enough to put effort into these small details also probably put some effort into the bigger issues, like underlying legal analysis. It's not a universal truth, but I've had very few occasions where this theory hasn't held up.

Ok, but I've never seen a case decided in the opposite direction of where it was headed due to typography, even in the most egregious examples.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Real Lawyers use the appropriate em dash or en dash to signal to other Real Lawyers that they, too, are Real Lawyers so that the Real Lawyers can Lawyer for Real together after court over some drinks. The Law is a Profession, not a Business: grammar and typography is what Real Lawyers Profess.

No but seriously how does the dash size not bother you holy gently caress that's annoying, especially if it's inconsistent throughout the piece.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Green Crayons posted:

Real Lawyers use the appropriate em dash or en dash to signal to other Real Lawyers that they, too, are Real Lawyers so that the Real Lawyers can Lawyer for Real together after court over some drinks. The Law is a Profession, not a Business: grammar and typography is what Real Lawyers Profess.

No but seriously how does the dash size not bother you holy gently caress that's annoying, especially if it's inconsistent throughout the piece.

It doesn't bother me because I have better things to do with my loving time than preen over the difference between dashes

like drink myself into oblivion or cut myself so I can feel something. anything.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

10-8 posted:

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, feast your eyes upon this typography! How could their side have any case at all?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, feast your eyes upon this typography! How could their side have any case at all?

"Comic Sans, Judge! COMIC SANS!"

I have no idea of the context.
It was with a collection of law and lawyer cartoons from 1978 and 79.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

It doesn't bother me because I have better things to do with my loving time than preen over the difference between dashes

like drink myself into oblivion or cut myself so I can feel something. anything.

I bet you italicize your commas, too. Monster.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

joat mon posted:

"Comic Sans, Judge! COMIC SANS!"

I have no idea of the context.
It was with a collection of law and lawyer cartoons from 1978 and 79.

New thread title right there folks.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Abugadu posted:

Ok, but I've never seen a case decided in the opposite direction of where it was headed due to typography, even in the most egregious examples.

The theory behind this isn't that you make a concious decision based on the typography, but that it sets the mindset you evaluate the rest of the work in. Maybe because of the sloppy typography you assumed there were other errors and went over the legal arguments with a more skeptical eye, and wound up on the other side of a close issue. You'd never actually even realize that's the reason though.

That said, there's some crazy-rear end poo poo when it comes to formatting.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

zzyzx posted:

I bet you italicize your commas, too. Monster.

well no I'm not a philistine

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

evilweasel posted:

The theory behind this isn't that you make a concious decision based on the typography, but that it sets the mindset you evaluate the rest of the work in. Maybe because of the sloppy typography you assumed there were other errors and went over the legal arguments with a more skeptical eye, and wound up on the other side of a close issue. You'd never actually even realize that's the reason though.
This is what I was trying to say. It obviously isn't an issue in jury trials, but if your practice is mostly motions and briefs, as mine is, I think that taking a few extra minutes to care about the formatting is a signal to the judge that you take pride in your work and pay attention to details. If nothing else, it makes a good first impression that may have at least some minimal residual effect in the judge's mind while he's reading your argument.

The way I see it, I owe my client a duty to put his best case forward. Turning in work product with myriad fonts, inconsistent headers, tables that flow off the page, etc., isn't putting his best case forward.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

evilweasel posted:

That said, there's some crazy-rear end poo poo when it comes to formatting.

This is generally good life advice -- image and appearance is really, really important when it comes to interacting with strangers. Everyone could benefit from making themselves and their work-product a little bit prettier if they can swallow the shallowness of it all.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Business card chat:

Gonna have two batches printed up, one for the public and one for attorneys. I've been looking up ethics rules and can't see anything prohibiting me from doing this.

However, would it be smart to list the areas I'm targeting for each (Criminal, family and probate for the public, professional liability and personal injury for attorneys) or to leave each as a broad "Attorney and Counselor?"

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

CaptainScraps posted:

Business card chat:

Gonna have two batches printed up, one for the public and one for attorneys. I've been looking up ethics rules and can't see anything prohibiting me from doing this.

However, would it be smart to list the areas I'm targeting for each (Criminal, family and probate for the public, professional liability and personal injury for attorneys) or to leave each as a broad "Attorney and Counselor?"

I wouldn't include practice areas if you don't plan to specialize. You don't want an attorney/potential client thinking you only practice in the areas listed on your card. You don't want some juicy referral not calling you because they don't think you can help them.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

10-8 posted:

This is what I was trying to say. It obviously isn't an issue in jury trials, but if your practice is mostly motions and briefs, as mine is, I think that taking a few extra minutes to care about the formatting is a signal to the judge that you take pride in your work and pay attention to details. If nothing else, it makes a good first impression that may have at least some minimal residual effect in the judge's mind while he's reading your argument.

The way I see it, I owe my client a duty to put his best case forward. Turning in work product with myriad fonts, inconsistent headers, tables that flow off the page, etc., isn't putting his best case forward.

I know a judge who straight up told me that if a shoddily-written motion comes across her desk she instantly views it with a negative eye and they have to work harder to convince her.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/life/education/tuition-rises-value-law-degrees-questioned

quote:

Bob Moon: There was a time when law school all but guaranteed a ticket to a good life. There's a reason Mom always wanted you to be a doctor or lawyer.

But as plenty of recent grads will tell you, today that golden ticket might just buy you a boatload of debt and a temp job. So how to deal with this oversupply of lawyers? From the Marketplace Education Desk at WYPR, Amy Scott reports.

Amy Scott:How about giving would-be law students a more realistic view of their future? Todd Kelly graduated from the Massachusetts School of Law in 2009.

Todd Kelly: Of my class of about 50, there’s a half a dozen, let’s say, working in the legal field, that I know personally, and only a couple that are actually working as attorneys.

When Kelly couldn’t find a job, he started his own firm, and folded it when he couldn’t make enough money. He’s now working as a software sales engineer.

Kelly: I think what I didn’t fully appreciate was how difficult it would be to get that first job.

Julie Margetta Morgan wants to change that. She’s a policy analyst at the Center for American Progress, a left-leaning think tank. In a new report, she says the federal government should publish data on what workers can expect starting out in any field. Right now, if you looked on the Bureau of Labor Statistics website, you’d see that the average lawyer makes more than $125,000 a year. But Morgan says most new lawyers can expect to make half that, and they owe, on average, upwards of $90,000 in student loans.

Julie Margetta Morgan: The problem is, that there just aren’t jobs out there to support that kind of debt for students at this point.

The American Bar Association, which accredits many law schools, recently changed its standards. It’ll require members to report more detailed job placement data for their graduates. But law grad Todd Kelly says they’ll be up against a little denial.

Kelly: I believed I would be an exception to the rule.

Don’t we all.

I’m Amy Scott for Marketplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Marc Randazza is such a loving baller.