Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

AntimatterSpork posted:

There's a more recent chapter you might be interested in

e: that is, Jones doesn't really steal her names so much as she takes them up as a gesture of respect/affection for people she's close to.

Yes, I know? I was saying that it was cool that Tom was hinting at it earlier. That whole foreshadowing thing that he's good at, y'know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

mr. stefan posted:

I should clarify, I don't mean it's all going to end with Kat shrugging and saying "some people are just dicks, Annie!" before cutting to City Face 3, but a bit more in depth. Yeah, Anthony might have altruistic motivations for acting the way he does, but it doesn't change the fact that he dumped his only daughter at a boarding school and didn't even try to contact her for two years (and, depending on how you interpret the "still" in this page, was not a particularly doting father before then), and when he did contact her it was an incredibly terse message that was by all appearances just part of some bizarre coded message.

I'm sure the 'still' in that page is some mystery that will be revealed when we've all forgotten about it in a year or so. I always wondered about what the heck is going on in that last panel. Dad is sad, mom is being consoling, here is an animal skull. I wonder if there's a list of all the unexplained things in GC somewhere? It would be a pretty huge list.

Also, I kind of wonder if we're ever going to hear what Anthony's message was when he called. I mean, I know it was code, but it seems like it could have been interpreted as something vaguely meaningful since Annie wasn't sure how to take it until Donald told her it was a code. So I'm assuming it wasn't just him calling and saying, "Antimony, rabbit monsoon cigar tortilla dishwasher novella absinthe," and then hanging up, since there's no way you could think there was any meaning in that. Although Annie was clearly so messed up by hearing from him that she probably didn't know what to think.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm sure the 'still' in that page is some mystery that will be revealed when we've all forgotten about it in a year or so. I always wondered about what the heck is going on in that last panel. Dad is sad, mom is being consoling, here is an animal skull. I wonder if there's a list of all the unexplained things in GC somewhere? It would be a pretty huge list.

Those kind of have been explained though? Or at least have plausible enough explanations that they aren't really mysteries. Starting from the animal skull- that's Coyote intruding on her dream, as said in the very next page.

The moment depicted is likely a low point where Anthony realized that whatever he was doing wasn't working, and that he was going to lose Surma, or at least a moment where he's despairing about about that possibility even if he hasn't totally given up. What with the whole 'Annie taking on Surma's power/essence/whatever' deal it's possible that he'd have some resentment towards Annie for 'taking' his wife. When he thought he could save Surma he didn't have that resentment though, because he thought he could make everything better, but once he lost hope(?) his outlook and relationship towards Annie probably changed, which leads to Surma saying that he 'still' loves her.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 2, 2013

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Mazerunner posted:

Those kind of have been explained though? Or at least have plausible enough explanations that they aren't really mysteries. Starting from the animal skull- that's Coyote intruding on her dream, as said in the very next page.

The moment depicted is likely a low point where Anthony realized that whatever he was doing wasn't working, and that he was going to lose Surma, or at least a moment where he's despairing about about that possibility even if he hasn't totally given up. What with the whole 'Annie taking on Surma's power/essence/whatever' deal it's possible that he'd have some resentment towards Annie for 'taking' his wife. When he thought he could save Surma he didn't have that resentment though, because he thought he could make everything better, but once he lost hope(?) his outlook and relationship towards Annie probably changed, which leads to Surma saying that he 'still' loves her.

Those are pretty good explanations, and I feel kind of dim-witted now for not picking up on the skull being related to Coyote. :downs:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Its worrying that I see bits of myself very clearly in Antimonys father. Fact is he might be obsessive, not just in terms of having a thing he is obsessed with but with actually possessing the full OCD problem. The urgent need for certainty is sure as the nine hells a big thing because of that.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!
It has already been well established that Anthony does not express strong feelings well at all.

He no doubt eventually managed with Surma. And he could in front of Donnie, so once he really knows and trusts someone, he can be much more open. Two powerful new emotions (grief and parenthood), especially since they are in conflict, probably shut him right down again.

That still makes him an abusive rear end in a top hat. He's probably going to be an important villain, but not a willfully malicious one. He will probably find a way to cure Annie in a way that would fundamentally change who she is.

Zimmy is a pioneer in the methods necessary to explain to him that she does not want this. That would tie that chapter nicely together, since acceptance is already its core theme.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

D'awwww, he's so proud of his political cartoon :3:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The comfiest fox.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

His room does feel a little lonely (though he doesn't seem likely to lack for books to read). Maybe Kat should have left him some of her action figures (http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=96)?

EDIT: We're definitely due for a Renard-centric chapter. Has he ever been the primary focus since his introduction way back when?

Quinton fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 3, 2013

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I'm a total dog lover and Renard resembles my dog in a lot of ways so this page is pretty much peak :3:.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Renard's got himself a pretty sweet set-up there.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I dunno how Renard would be able to get to some of those books...

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Note the similarities between the porthole above his head and the crossed-out eye symbols from earlier chapters.

Also I am super psyched for a renard story. Maybe it'll explain how he got trapped in the court?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Fecha posted:

Jump up as a fox, then change into teddy-bear form to pull books off the shelf?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Wouldn't mind living like that fox

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!
I'm not sure why, but this strip makes me compare Reynard to Brain from Family Guy.

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?
Anyone else imagining Renard doing little flinches in the second panel as he dreams :3:?

This is not his natural habitat at all. I suspect he's going to be pining for the forest.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I wonder if Renard will respond poorly to the notion that he is domesticated

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Begemot posted:

D'awwww, he's so proud of his political cartoon :3:

The first thing I noticed. :)

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Fecha posted:

Probably like this: http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=227

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

The first thing I noticed. :)

Same here! :mmmhmm: I love how, deep down, Renard is a huge dork with his drawings and action figures.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
That's a pretty sweet pad you got there, Renard.

I was half expecting to see Kat's action figures lying around somewhere, haha.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

Froodulous posted:

Anyone else imagining Renard doing little flinches in the second panel as he dreams :3:?

This is not his natural habitat at all. I suspect he's going to be pining for the forest.

With the chapter title being "Quicksilver", maybe it'll be about how he's being reshaped to fit the vessel he's in?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

A sleepy fox.

The sleepiest fox!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Wittgen posted:

The relationship between Zimmy and Antimony is pretty awesome, I'd say. Even just from a literary analysis viewpoint, yeah? Antimony/Kat and Zimmy/Gamma make pretty interesting mirrors of each other.

BobTheJanitor posted:

The page where Zimmy etherically punches his lights out is still probably one of my favorite pages so far. "Message from your little girl, mate!" indeed. I want to high five that creepy little spike-toothed psychopath. :3:

Has there been any speculation on the possibility that Zimmy & Annie might be half-sisters.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I wonder if Renard's tendency to stay in his bigger wolf form is indicative of some sort of character development, or just that Tom likes drawing him that way more. I prefer the bigger form versus the little fluffy toy form anyway. The toy always seemed just a bit too webcomic-y to me. You know, here is our 'strange' character who is a shape-shifting demon trapped in a cute fuzzy stuffed toy. Fortunately GC is on the opposite end of the spectrum from those sorts of cliched comics.

His ability to change shape hasn't ever really been explained though, has it? Like why is it that he can make that toy turn into the shape of a normal sized wolf without simply ripping all the seams and spilling stuffing everywhere? Maybe we'll get some hint on that in this chapter.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

fritz posted:

Has there been any speculation on the possibility that Zimmy & Annie might be half-sisters.

I can not see that being the case. Their common parent could not be Surma, for obvious reasons, and from what we've seen of him I doubt that Anthony was involved with anyone other than Surma.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Oneiros posted:

I can not see that being the case. Their common parent could not be Surma, for obvious reasons, and from what we've seen of him I doubt that Anthony was involved with anyone other than Surma.

The real secret is that Anthony is actually a huge lothario and has been away for so long because he's out managing all his various girlfriends and wives. He can't call Annie because he's busy wooing Zimmy's mom, and next he's got to check up on Brinnie. (Whatever happened to her anyway?)

Random non sequitur, does anyone else think that Steadman from the early GC times with Diego and Jeanne may be a distant relation of Smitty? His apparent ability to shoot an arrow from a tower in the Court and have it land accurately all the way across the gorge in the forest seems reminiscent of Smitty's control over probability. Also he looks kind of similar, although blonde and much less gifted in the eyebrows department.

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Steadman seems more like an ancestor to Winsbury, what with him training with arrows as a rival of the Headmaster's daughter, Llanwellyn.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

BobTheJanitor posted:

The real secret is that Anthony is actually a huge lothario and has been away for so long because he's out managing all his various girlfriends and wives. He can't call Annie because he's busy wooing Zimmy's mom, and next he's got to check up on Brinnie. (Whatever happened to her anyway?)

Random non sequitur, does anyone else think that Steadman from the early GC times with Diego and Jeanne may be a distant relation of Smitty? His apparent ability to shoot an arrow from a tower in the Court and have it land accurately all the way across the gorge in the forest seems reminiscent of Smitty's control over probability. Also he looks kind of similar, although blonde and much less gifted in the eyebrows department.

I think being able to shoot an arrow hundreds of meters is just a cool thing that cool archer dudes can do.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The real secret is that Anthony does not exist.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Kennel posted:

The real secret is that Anthony does not exist.

Also: kind of a jerk.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Damnit, it was Coyote the whole time wasn't it. It was an elaborate prank on Eglamore.

In that case, how awkward!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Blackheart posted:

Damnit, it was Coyote the whole time wasn't it. It was an elaborate prank on Eglamore.

In that case, how awkward!

If Coyote was Surma's lover, I think we'd find out who could win in a fight between Renard and Coyote.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think being able to shoot an arrow hundreds of meters is just a cool thing that cool archer dudes can do.

Yeah, I think this is what it is. Remember this is a world where Eglamore can "jump good" apparently just from being a badass and Parley can fairly evenly swordfight a robot programed to fight with swords.

And Antimony has a Stand but that's magic poo poo and Kat builds antigrav drive out of scraps but I think she works off of Lex Luthor rules.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's been said that Jimmy Jims can't use magic himself, but he does have "special" tools and weapons, which explain his superjumps; I don't think he does it out of sheer badassitude. And robot was beating Parley fairly consistently until she started thinking out of the box(bot) and using teleportation to her advantage. I think.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Blackheart posted:

It's been said that Jimmy Jims can't use magic himself, but he does have "special" tools and weapons, which explain his superjumps; I don't think he does it out of sheer badassitude. And robot was beating Parley fairly consistently until she started thinking out of the box(bot) and using teleportation to her advantage. I think.

Jimmy has done his superjumps just out of nowhere, no magic armour or anything, I'm sticking with him just being that good. I seem to remember robot was holding back until he was told not to, and he caught Parley totally off guard because of the difference in his skill when he cut loose. Then she was ready for him and they were evenly matched, now I need to double check.

Power levels discussion :v:

Edit: Double checking you are right about Parley teleporting, I guess I missed all the bip sound effects before.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 4, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I just checked, and The official answer is a bit vague anyway:

quote:

Q:Does Eglamore's "high jump" ability (as well as the former games teacher) is naturally developed, or is it some sort of court technology/etherical intervention?

A: It's part of his training, which was not purely natural.

So apparently he does it by himself, but there's still some mystic explanation.

Edit: just reread the Parley-Robot fight again and yup, she beats him by teleporting creatively.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 4, 2013

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
How could you have missed the Unsichtbarhau! I think Jimmy Jims is using some etheric means to jump that high. Same as whatever he used to bail Annie out of the forest, when Ysengrin went mad. I think the beacon was something connected with Brinnie, 'cause of the symbol, but the etheric runes during his flight were more similar to Anja's ethercomputer.

The jumps, I believe it was when James was in training with Thorn, that we were shown him being amazed at that? And later he learned it himself. Also, Tom made the point of making James' jumps significant when Coyote and Ysengrin first visited in Fangs of Summertime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sometimes when Jimmy Jims is flying through the sky you can see funky purple "trail" symbol stuffs behind him and/or around him.