Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
What would be a good alternative to Rapini? I don't think most stores (if any) carry it and I got a recipe that calls for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

What would be a good alternative to Rapini? I don't think most stores (if any) carry it and I got a recipe that calls for it.
What are you making? Broccoli is a good replacement depending on what you are making.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What are you making? Broccoli is a good replacement depending on what you are making.

Well I gotta recipe for pizza and it said to use Rapini, Black Olives, Mozzarella and such.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can put whatever the gently caress you want on pizza, so yeah, broccoli would work. Or any vegetable would work, basically, as long as it will cook in about the same amount of time.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You can put whatever the gently caress you want on pizza, so yeah, broccoli would work. Or any vegetable would work, basically, as long as it will cook in about the same amount of time.

Well I know but I was curious as per taste wise if there is any alternatives, I never even heard of Rapini until today.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It tastes like broccoli, more or less - a bit milder maybe.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It tastes like broccoli, more or less - a bit milder maybe.

Okay, I will use the broccoli I have then, thanks.

Golden Corral Massacre
Sep 8, 2008
Is bruschetta (toast with tomato/basil/parmesan on top) meant to be served warm or cold?

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I keep coming across various japanese recipes that request using both white and regular japanese soy sauce. Is there a substitute I could use for white soy or shirojoyu? The only place I could find it is on amazon for 24 bucks for 12 ounces which seems crazy expensive.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hayes posted:

Is bruschetta (toast with tomato/basil/parmesan on top) meant to be served warm or cold?
Unless you're trying to pass a culinary class or impress your Italian girlfriend's nonna, if it's warm it's bruschetta and if it's cold it's crostini.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

Unless you're trying to pass a culinary class or impress your Italian girlfriend's nonna, if it's warm it's bruschetta and if it's cold it's crostini.

"Bruschetta" also only refers to the grilled oiled bread rubbed with garlic. There are many other toppings other than the ubiquitous tomato one. I'm sure you knew this subg, so I'm not really saying it to you but for others, I guess. I dunno, the tomato bruschetta is like, the boringest of toppings, idg why it's like the most popular of all.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

"Bruschetta" also only refers to the grilled oiled bread rubbed with garlic. There are many other toppings other than the ubiquitous tomato one. I'm sure you knew this subg, so I'm not really saying it to you but for others, I guess. I dunno, the tomato bruschetta is like, the boringest of toppings, idg why it's like the most popular of all.
Yeah, that was why I started out with a disclaimer. Arbitrating culinary authenticity is always pretty much a mug's game, but with such a simple, ancient, and widespread preparation you're stuck in a situation where if you ever managed to get a consensus on the One True Version, you could travel a couple kilometres in any direction and immediately find an equal and opposite consensus there.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I'm looking up recipes for empanadas and need some advice about spices.

One recipe uses a 1/2 lb of ground beef and 1 tablespoon each of cumin, paprika, capers and parsley. Another recipe uses 2 lb of ground beef and 1 teaspoon each of cumin and paprika.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the ratios of the first recipe more than the second but can anyone suggest if that seems like the right amount of spice for empanada filling? Or if anyone has their own recipe they can post that'd be appreciated, too.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What risotto can I make with beef stock?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

cyberia posted:

I'm looking up recipes for empanadas and need some advice about spices.

One recipe uses a 1/2 lb of ground beef and 1 tablespoon each of cumin, paprika, capers and parsley. Another recipe uses 2 lb of ground beef and 1 teaspoon each of cumin and paprika.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the ratios of the first recipe more than the second but can anyone suggest if that seems like the right amount of spice for empanada filling? Or if anyone has their own recipe they can post that'd be appreciated, too.

Nearly every similar dish I cook is about 500g meat (that's about 1lb right?), for that amount of meat I usually use 1 teaspoon cumin, and would use 1/2- 1 teaspoon paprika if I was using it.
I'd go 1T of capers and 2T of parsley if I was using it at all, not worth bothering about them if you use them in smaller quantities than that anyway.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Fo3 posted:

Nearly every similar dish I cook is about 500g meat (that's about 1lb right?), for that amount of meat I usually use 1 teaspoon cumin, and would use 1/2- 1 teaspoon paprika if I was using it.
I'd go 1T of capers and 2T of parsley if I was using it at all, not worth bothering about them if you use them in smaller quantities than that anyway.

Yeah, 500g is about 1lb. I'll try 1tsp of spice per 500g and see how it goes. I can always add more spice to taste if needed.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

You can make beef flavored risotto

Idk, use mushrooms or spinach or anchovies or idk. If you're using storebought stock, it's gonna be so light in flavor you can do anything. If it is homemade stock, I would just do some nice shrooms or something in there.

Edit: Also cut out like 12 oz worth of stock and sub in dry vermouth. Your mouth will thank me.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 24, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

cyberia posted:

Yeah, 500g is about 1lb. I'll try 1tsp of spice per 500g and see how it goes. I can always add more spice to taste if needed.

Just add fish sauce :getin:

Casu Marzu posted:

You can make beef flavored risotto

Idk, use mushrooms or spinach or anchovies or idk. If you're using storebought stock, it's gonna be so light in flavor you can do anything. If it is homemade stock, I would just do some nice shrooms or something in there.

Edit: Also cut out like 12 oz worth of stock and sub in dry vermouth. Your mouth will thank me.

Spinach and mushroom risotto is one of my favourites for a veggie meal, but I usually use chicken stock.
Beef stock would go well with the mushrooms, but I haven't tried it.

Good tip with the vermouth, I've often thought about using a dry sherry instead of white wine. I don't think I'll ever have any vermouth in this house though. Dry sherry just as recommended?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 24, 2013

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I've wanted to make owl cookies forever, and Halloween finally gives me that excuse. I was thinking about cutting out the cookies, and then putting a couple sticks at the base of each for an "owl sitting on a branch" effect. I haven't done much cookie baking however and don't know if the pretzel will char or something in the process.

artichokeyou
Jul 1, 2010
I am going to be preparing a "Friendsgiving" meal in a couple of weeks. My husband is wanting to do a test run of frying a turkey, so we are going to invite all of our friends for an early holiday celebration. I am usually in charge of cooking thanksgiving dinner and have no problem producing traditional dishes, but I think we would like to go with more unconventional side dishes and desserts since I know I for one am tired of the same thing by the end of holiday season. So, how about it goons, what are your non traditional thanksgiving recipes?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

artichokeyou posted:

I am going to be preparing a "Friendsgiving" meal in a couple of weeks. My husband is wanting to do a test run of frying a turkey, so we are going to invite all of our friends for an early holiday celebration. I am usually in charge of cooking thanksgiving dinner and have no problem producing traditional dishes, but I think we would like to go with more unconventional side dishes and desserts since I know I for one am tired of the same thing by the end of holiday season. So, how about it goons, what are your non traditional thanksgiving recipes?

Well for squash, I like to roast acorn squash with Olive Oil and Kosher Salt.

But other than that here are some other things to try:
Langos: http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/hungarianbreads/r/langos.htm
For stuffing what about Chorizo Cornbread stuffing?
And Cranberry and Onion Confit with something to put it on?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Other squash idea that I like to do is to stuff the cavity with toasted breadcubes and nuts rolled in melted butter, brown sugar, and stuff like cinammon and mace and cloves. Roast uncovered at 350 until tender, like 30 minutes for both halves of one squash.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Where's the recipe for that egg nog we all made last year?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Make borscht in risotto form.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drink and Fight posted:

Stare hard at a dozen eggs while drinking bourbon from the bottle. Say "nutmeg" to yourself and chuckle.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Make borscht in risotto form.

I do have some beetroot I've been meaning to use up and that sounds more appealing than "beetroot beer."

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Stare hard at a dozen eggs while drinking bourbon from the bottle. Say "nutmeg" to yourself and chuckle.

No, that's Tuesdays.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Drink and Fight posted:

No, that's Tuesdays.

I thought Tuesday was when you stared at a bottom of rum that you had just finished and wonder what you are doing with your life.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

is there interest in an eggnog thread?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I thought Tuesday was when you stared at a bottom of rum that you had just finished and wonder what you are doing with your life.
That's lunch.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

is there interest in an eggnog thread?

We really should have started it in June or August so people could age it until Christmas.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

We really should have started it in June or August so people could age it until Christmas.

better late than never! Who wants to write it up?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Anyone who is learning how to cook should click the link below today.

quote:

For 24 hours only this Thursday, October 24, FoodDay and Rouxbe are offering a 30-day free trial to the online Rouxbe Cooking School. This opportunity is open to everyone, so feel free to spread the word!

To Get Your Free 30-Day Access to Rouxbe Cooking School by signing up on Thursday, October 24:

1. Go to http://rouxbe.com/redeem
2. Enter: FOODDAY in the redeem field.
3. Create your personal account.
4. Start learning cooking technique!

About Rouxbe:

Founded in 2005, Rouxbe Online Cooking School is the world's leading online cooking school. Rouxbe has served over 123,000 students and can be found in the kitchens of homes, schools, restaurants, hotels and professional culinary academies in over 175 countries.

I just watched a series of 8 videos that tell you how to plate. It's awesome and there are a bunch more like it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Casu Marzu posted:

I started a batch on December 21st , apocalypse nog!

I've seen a few recipes that say aged egg nog is best if you start it around April for holiday drinkage, but I knew I was going to be overseas so I started mine early.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

I started a batch on December 21st , apocalypse nog!

I've seen a few recipes that say aged egg nog is best if you start it around April for holiday drinkage, but I knew I was going to be overseas so I started mine early.

I have a batch from two christmases ago as well as a batch from last christmas. Gonna do a vertical tasting of eggnogs. :getin:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Thanks for reminding me I need to get my Dundee cake on if it's gonna be ready for Christmas.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Drink and Fight posted:

I think this is it:
http://www.chow.com/recipes/10758-best-eggnog

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I need a taller glass jar so this thing takes up less space in my fridge next year

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Yep that's the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What ages in that eggnog that affects the flavor?

I'm a little unclear as to what the aging process would actually do to it. Also, that's a LOT of alcohol. Hot drat. I'm not a big drinker; could I cut the alcohol amounts in half and substitute something else instead? What would be a good substitute, more cream/milk?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 25, 2013