Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
They look a lot better in robot mode than in creature modes, but that's usually true of the Terrorcons. Blot is mainly notable because his creature mode finally looks like an actual thing of some kind, maybe. I'm waiting to see what the final combined mode looks like.

Also I think the orthrus thing is passe now, since Hasbro officially considers Sinnertwin to be a two-headed dragon, not a dog. Sinnertwin officially turns into "the same thing as Hun-Grrr but boring."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Unless there's been other Sinnertwins other than the BH ones I'd just say that was part of BH's "dragons only except for this one random Hippogriff Ursagriff" thing. I mean they turned even Blight into some sort of Dragonkin.

The combined mode proto looked very good, I dunno if they ever showed Sinnertwin on his own.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'd be kinda worried buying those given Blot seems really good then people had QA and plastic issues with the next two. Seems like a set to see finished.

But then MADLAW has a massive design flaw and I'm still tooling around with him so what the gently caress do I know.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Well even G1 Sinnertwin is clearly a dragon, and called such in the MTMTE Dreamwave bios. I never understood where the orthos thing came from.

Unique Toys Sinnertwin has been reviewed by most of the major guys. I don't remember if he's actually out yet, though. He looks pretty good to me, considering the design they have to work with. The way they get the beast legs to fold up into his robot legs is a nice trick.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Keldroc posted:

Well even G1 Sinnertwin is clearly a dragon, and called such in the MTMTE Dreamwave bios. I never understood where the orthos thing came from.

Oh, I didn't know that actually. Honestly I've never even looked that close at G1 Sinnertwin but you're totally right now that I'm taking a closer look. Now I feel like that guy I met who insisted Kickback "always turned into a fly and they changed it later".

quote:

MADLAW has a massive design flaw

What is it?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

What is it?
You can look up pictures in the TFW2005 thread, but basically the ratchet on the drill isn't fitted to the area it has to move through. So it's chewing up the plastic like a four year old's got it in his mouth.

Not sure if it influences the figure in the long term, but it's a pretty heinous slip either way. It's universal to the first run of the toy.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Keldroc posted:

Unique Toys Sinnertwin has been reviewed by most of the major guys. I don't remember if he's actually out yet, though. He looks pretty good to me, considering the design they have to work with. The way they get the beast legs to fold up into his robot legs is a nice trick.

Why's this dude got a phone cannon?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Sockser posted:

Why's this dude got a phone cannon?

He wants to call the shots, obviously.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Blackheart posted:

He wants to call the shots, obviously.

:golfclap:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well, got back to the UK today and it's been all ups and downs. A very public death in the family, but I also got to complete Superion. Little victories. :unsmith:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

It's hard to tell from the shadow, but do you have the gun mounted to his wrist? How are you pulling that off?

e: oh, yeah, it's in his fist. The minigun handfoot thing threw off the perspective for me and I didn't see it until I had looked at it again

e2: you forgot to flip up his crotchplate !

Sockser fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 12, 2015

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Looks like it's in his fist to me. If there is a way to wrist mount the gun I'd like to know about it though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sockser posted:

e2: you forgot to flip up his crotchplate !

Oh hey! Didn't know that was a thing until now. I was looking at the gap earlier and hoping that some 3p company would be coming up with a fix. Turned out there already was one. I should probably read more instructions.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
e: NM, none of my business

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 12, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Phy posted:

Don't tell me you're related to Terry.

Ok I won't.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Oh hey! Didn't know that was a thing until now. I was looking at the gap earlier and hoping that some 3p company would be coming up with a fix. Turned out there already was one. I should probably read more instructions.

I had to stare at the instructions for a while. The upside-down Autobots symbol seemed way too weird.

Also, is there a good way to get the Superion head out? I have to pop Silverbolt's head out and shove my finger into the chest cavity and force the Superion head out from the inside

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Chris Sims is losing his Transformers-virginity and writing about the comics from that Humble Bundle. I'm a sucker for trip reports/blind blogs of first viewings or readings.

Actually... would anyone be into me doing much more :effort: and brief posts about my trip through the IDW books?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sockser posted:

Also, is there a good way to get the Superion head out? I have to pop Silverbolt's head out and shove my finger into the chest cavity and force the Superion head out from the inside

No that's how you do it. But that's basically fine, especially if you're going from robot to gestalt.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Chris Sims is losing his Transformers-virginity and writing about the comics from that Humble Bundle. I'm a sucker for trip reports/blind blogs of first viewings or readings.

Actually... would anyone be into me doing much more :effort: and brief posts about my trip through the IDW books?

I would. Hell, I started reading RID recently with the Humble Bundle, after having read MTMTE a few months back.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

Why not? Go for it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

Man, by all means.

also

Chris Sims posted:

Rodimus, who appears to be to Optimus Prime what I am to Batman

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

No that's how you do it. But that's basically fine, especially if you're going from robot to gestalt.

I find it way easier to just pull Silverbolt's crotch. I was having a lot of trouble getting the Superion head out before that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Cool, three people was basically the lower limit of interest for me to actually sit down and do it. I'm not going to be doing super-long essays or anything, but I'll try and put together posts on Inflitration and Stormbringer tonight.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

The_Doctor posted:

Well, got back to the UK today and it's been all ups and downs. A very public death in the family, but I also got to complete Superion. Little victories. :unsmith:

Are you related to Rewind? Sorry to hear about that, Chrom.... OMG you have MP Rodimus and the Lego Ecto-1 and the Lego ideas book.

My Transformer's sense went off and I found the cheapest parts of both Menasor and Superion. 2/6 and 1/6 there. wooooo...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

I would be really interested in seeing someone who isn't biased by the opinions of forums discussing how they felt the various books align and gel with each other, in addition to basically any and all discussion.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Post The First: My Background

OK, as I've mentioned a couple of times, I'm currently trying to work my way through all of the IDW Transformers comics to the present day. And I don't mean MTMTE and RID from the beginning, I mean from Infiltration onwards.

I figured I should give anyone who cares to read these posts a bit of a rundown of my history with Transformers and comics. I've been a comic book fan since my early teens, so basically about half my life. Mostly a Marvel guy, but I've read and loved stuff from Spider-Man to Conan, from Y:The Last Man to Stuck Rubber Baby. My taste is eclectic, basically. I'm also a child of the 80s and 90s. I grew up with the original G1 Transformers cartoon, had a ton of hand-me-down toys (including Ironhide, Jazz, Optimus, Bumblebee, a bunch of Dinobots and OG Shockwave and Overlord) and G2 recolours. I had a period where I'd watch the 86 movie every year for my birthday. I adore Beast Wars (even had the original bat Primal and croc Megatron), and don't HATE the first Bay movie, though I pretty much loathe the second two, with the caveat that they can be entertainingly awful in the right company.

History with TF comics is pretty much limited to a single Beast Wars mini from years ago that I picked up cheap, and the tie-in books that came in the first IDW Humble Bundle. Well, and volume 1 of The Transformers, which is what piqued my interest in doing this project. I liked what I saw there, and the idea of the war being mostly over, and everyone dealing with the aftermath was neat. I wanted to see how we go there, and then how we got to these cool moments I'd seen out of context in other threads, from this More Than Meets The Eye I've heard so much about.

I've picked up a few things from general internet osmosis about the main IDW continuity and TF comics in general. (I've read a small handful of G1 Marvel comics, too)

*Simon Furman is to Transformers as Larry Hama is to GI Joe or Chris Claremont to X-Men
*Furman has a ton of phrases that he reuses over and over.
*Megatron becomes an Autobot at some point.
*Rewind and Brainstorm are lovers, I think?
*There is a planet of lady Transformers.
*Two of them are Windblade (a cool jet that I am actually looking at in my room as I type) and Chromia (likewise, but a motorcycle that's a cool remould of Prime RID Arcee)
*Arcee is basically insane, and part of that insanity is that she identifies as female because that's weird and abnormal, and that's because she was experimented on by Decepticon Mengele and god who approved that.
*Thundercracker likes TV. (OK, this I got from that one trade I read to start this)

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Lucked out and found Blackjack on my way home from work today! Haven't found the rest of Wave 2 yet, but hot drat Blackjack is pretty neat on his own. He's just such a solid little car dude with a neat ax/spoiler cannon thing/crest. Only problem is that I've tried plugging him into Ultra Prime and he keeps falling off. I could easily just be missing some vital detail because I'm tired as gently caress, but any tips for making him stay in place?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Post Deux: Transformers: Infiltration

This is going to be a little sketchier than it might get later, as I read this one a week or two ago.

OK, let's start with plot. It's pretty basic Transformers stuff, honestly. Squishy human steals palmtop with info about Decepticons, Decepticons try to frag puny human, Autobot saves puny human, thus human learns about alien robots and gets sucked into the war as POV character. Our main protagonists are Hunter O'Nion, a guy with possibly the dumbest name ever put to paper; Verity Carlo, a homeless drifter, excuse me, 'rebel living off-the-grid'; Jimmy Pink, Verity's friend and mechanic who inexplicably knows stuff about super-advanced tech and Ratchet, an ambulance. OK, we all know Ratchet. He's basically G1 Ratchet here, honestly. Not the detached Spock-like guy from the new movies, or the grumpy old man from the more recent cartoons. He's a medic, and he wants to save lives, especially of these innocent little fleshy things on this planet.

So, Verity is the thief mentioned earlier, the computer has footage of an abandoned 'con base, that shouldn't be abandoned. Add to that the fact that the Decepticons aren't being subtle any more, and it spells bad news, they're apparently entering 'siege mode' way earlier than they should. We get some neat stuff with Ratchet's hard-light hologram form, which could be a neat way to do a common fan-art idea of showing the Transformers-as-humans, but it kind of falls apart later in the mini. It does let us have some facial interaction with Ratchet while in vehicle mode, so that's nice.

Prowl's a dick about the humans being saved, they convince Ratchet and Bumblebee to let them scout the base in the footage, and we get stock horror movie stuff when Verity finds Megatron, just before the other 'cons level the place. Apparently, Megs isn't in charge anymore, and the Decepticons doing the siege stuff are following Starscream, who's found a new form of energon to soup them up. Megs and Screamer fight, there's a bunch of Furmanisms, and because Megatron is there, and this new energon is in play, Prowl makes the call to alert...

Optimus Prime!

Also there's some stuff with the Illuminati, or something?

OK, that's the plot, as best I recall, with a little aid from TFWiki.

Was it any good?

It's all right. The stuff with Verity's backstory is trite, but at least the token effort's there to make us care about the humans, and the broad set-up for getting them involved is good. It's much better to have them wanting to get involved because it's our planet at stake, than just because it's fun, or because of profit or other reasons they could use. Ratchet and Bumblebee are likeable and recognisable under Furman's pen, with the former coming off best because he gets the most focus, as a medic who doesn't really relish fighting, but will do so to protect those that would otherwise be harmed. It's a little 'loose cannon cop' with how Prowl acts, but it works, mostly. Starscream is also a joy, his usual delusional, egotistical self. Hell, he just about gets away with the most Furman of Furmanisms: "REAP THE WHIRLWIND!" due to that characterisation.

The art is a bit... pseudo-anime for my liking. Not that the general aesthetic of manga is bad, but EJ Su's pencils give all the humans a very bland, generically 'nice' look, which plays against some of the writing. Verity doesn't look like a tough loner, or even a scared little girl, she looks like a random anime girl from one of those "YOU CAN DRAW...." books, just with a cool baseball cap on.

The plot is fairly pedestrian, but we have a handful of characters involved that are defined, and have motivations I can understand: Prowl is a by-the-book soldier, Ratchet is the compassionate rebel, Bumblebee is the idealistic kid, Starscream is the deluded megalomaniac, Megatron the grizzled warlord, Verity's a scared kid with a tough facade, Hunter is... a dude. 'Cons are getting ready to wipe out earthlings, Autobots don't want that, plus the super-energon is bad, so let's call the big gun.

Next up... Stormbringer and boy, do I wish this coherence lasted.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

*a good report*

Next up... Stormbringer and boy, do I wish this coherence lasted.

Phase... Two.

At the start, Starscream and Prowl are both heads of guerrilla forces, due to the incredibly drawn-out nature of the war. Megatron is still in charge, he always has been. Starscream is... Starscream. The fact that Starscream is such a fuckup means that the plans for Earth need to be accelerated, and overseen personally.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm enjoying your posts so far Gaz-L, please continue until your brain melts.

Also I grabbed a second KREO Menasor for myself today, I think I want to have one on display in combined and single bot modes. I also need to find a good head to use for a custom Wildrider.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

XavierGenisi posted:

Lucked out and found Blackjack on my way home from work today! Haven't found the rest of Wave 2 yet, but hot drat Blackjack is pretty neat on his own. He's just such a solid little car dude with a neat ax/spoiler cannon thing/crest. Only problem is that I've tried plugging him into Ultra Prime and he keeps falling off. I could easily just be missing some vital detail because I'm tired as gently caress, but any tips for making him stay in place?

No, sadly he doesn't stay very well. I'm sure you can add something to either the pegs or the peghole to make them connect better, like floor polish or stuff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Post Tres: Transformers: Stormbringer

Oh boy. Plot... er... um... The Technobots are doing recon on Cybertron to see if the planet's stopped being a total write-off... they pick up some weird readings and go down to see what's what... Then they get captured by, Bludgeon? I think? And Thunderwing is really scary because he tried to tell Jetfire and Perceptor and Shockwave and Soundwave that the planet's environment was in a tailspin and did MAD SCIENCE to himself to stop it when they were all BIG MEANIES and wanted to actually take a rational, measured approach.

There are also some Decepticons on Nebulos, who I think are mainly the Headmaster crowd, but no indication of actually being Headmasters. And the Wreckers are introduced, but gently caress if any of them get characterisation beyond "'SPLODE = GOOD!"

Anyway, Bludgeon wants to reawaken Thunderwing, who was apparently so scary that Optimus and Megatron had to work together to stop him, and Megatron actually wanted to blow up Cybertron to stop him. Bludgeon and his crew want to A) map Bludgeon's mind to Thunderwing's so the mindless beast he's become will have some semblance of direction and B) perfect the experiments he was performing. So Thunderwing goes to Nebulos and kills everyone. Optimus and the Wreckers rescue the Technobots and Jetfire, who smashes the console controlling Thunderwing. Thunderwing instinctually goes back home to keep armgeddoning. Megatron tells the Predacons to nuke it from orbit, but Razorclaw decides the Autobots are being honourable, so he lets his boys help in the fight before the countdown on his big bomb goes off. Optimus finally wins and Thunderwing goes dormant, because Jetfire figured out his weakness was that he needed to expend power to shield himself or something?

Oh, and then Optimus gets the call from Earth, so he has to go deal with that poo poo.

This one, on the other hand, is vague and garbled because that's what the book is. I have no idea who anyone is, beyond the ones I know from other mediums. No-one gets anything beyond the barest, sketchiest characterisation. I only figured out that Thunderwing is meant to be a Pretender right at the end because Jetfire mentions something about an organic shell, and from a franchise perspective? Oy. I fuckin' LOVE me some Masterforce, and this reeks of someone, probably Furman, who likes the idea of using stuff from the G1 toys, but really, really cares too much about it 'being realistic' or 'making sense' which is ironic considering how borderline incoherent this miniseries is. The chronology of the story is all over the place, using flashbacks within flashbacks, barely letting dialogue breathe, and cramming what is there full of Furman's stock classics. Including another loving REAP THE WHIRLWIND.

Don Figuroa's art is a mess. Backgrounds are non-existent, panels barely seem to have any thought put into what happens after what. There's nowhere near any attempt to make the story flow from page to page, and all the robots blend together. I grant, that using the Technobots and Predacons does mean you might have some issues, as they are inherently similar, at least colour-scheme wise, but if Furman's not going to give distinct personalities, and Figuroa's not going to give distinct looks, why should I care about any of it?

Oh, and that Beast Wars comic I read, that I mentioned before? The Gathering. And I had the same problem with that. The story was nearly impossible to follow, and I could barely tell one character from another, not helped by most of the ones in that book being from BW2 and Neo.

God, this was a trainwreck.

Tell me Escalation is better?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's a reason The Death of Optimus Prime is a straight-up reset. Most of the poo poo in the previous stuff seems to have been made non-canon or rewritten entirely, such as headmasters.

Hell, the whole headmaster thing is literally, unceremoniously killed in... All Hail Megatron I think?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Invictus posted:

There's a reason The Death of Optimus Prime is a straight-up reset. Most of the poo poo in the previous stuff seems to have been made non-canon or rewritten entirely, such as headmasters.

Hell, the whole headmaster thing is literally, unceremoniously killed in... All Hail Megatron I think?

Well, they're doing something with clones of Thrust and Ramjet in Formerly RID now.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Blackheart posted:

No, sadly he doesn't stay very well. I'm sure you can add something to either the pegs or the peghole to make them connect better, like floor polish or stuff.

Blast and drat. I don't have any of that Future Polish or whatever because I can't tell what the hell I'm even looking for, but I'll give some clear nail polish a shot. Thanks.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

God, this was a trainwreck.

Tell me Escalation is better?

I want to remember "yes?"

If it wasn't apparent from my last post, I like what you're doing. Please continue!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

There's a reason The Death of Optimus Prime is a straight-up reset.
No it isn't. Not even vaguely. It was a re-launch to try to attract new readers and straighten the elements in play, but IDW very much actively uses elements from their own canon constantly.

They play it a little Marvel style on characterization, and I'm pretty sure the Technobots will come back alive in 2017, but that doesn't mean earlier elements of the canon are defunct.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:) Thanks!

In case anyone's wondering, I'm using Order 2 here as a broad guide to order. I'm not going insane and doing the issue-by-issue thing they're saying there, but it basically means I'll go Escalation, maybe Spotlight Vol.1, Megatron Origins, Devastation and so on...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Oh man please don't skip the spotlights. They're amazing for either being great or incredibly, brutally terrible. Same team, same era, absolute divergence. There is nothing more jarring, other than like the quality drop offs as you go through the ongoing I guess. (Heart like a wheel so good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not, just trying to figure out where to put them, and I'd rather read a whole mini/trade, rather than splitting them up.