Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Steven Smith 200 and 50= 9/10

What would get a 10

Could have got a few wickets if he really wanted to contribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimeWaster
Nov 1, 2011
I don't follow English domestic cricket but is there something wrong with Carberry? Why wouldn't you give him a go again instead of Lyth?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TimeWaster posted:

I don't follow English domestic cricket but is there something wrong with Carberry? Why wouldn't you give him a go again instead of Lyth?

The management are a bunch of racists.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Someone in the upper echelons doesn't like him.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
There's no way the MCC would let him use that helmet.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
They need to steal more colonials.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
you cant go much further back in drawing from the colonies to get to carberry

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Carberry is a bit old now and hasn't been setting the world on fire playing first class cricket. That said the stepup between first class cricket and test cricket is crazy huge. Remember that gif of Ponting being bowled by Kallis and retiring afterwards because he couldn't play international quality quicks anymore ? well he went back to FC cricket for a year and just destroyed bowling attacks in Australia and England. So Carberry has actually batted okish against the Australian quicks in the past and I would consider that over FC form besides the case of Bairstow where he is verging on demanding it.

I don't remember a lot about Bairstow. I seem to recall he had a very faint movement towards leg. That might be a problem against faster bowlers. I think it would be quite insane to chuck him in at three though. He doesn't even bat there for Yorkshire and Englands problem is the top order being exposed early. It is a huge ask to put a wicket keeper batsman in at three against this Australian pace attack.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We need more kids playing who aren't inbred private schoolboys.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If Root would like to play three, I'd say put him there. He was meant to be an opener originally, first drop shouldn't ruin him.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

goatface posted:

We need more kids playing who aren't inbred private schoolboys.

In NSW (the state that produces the most Australian cricketers) its seen as a bit of a disadvantage for talented young cricketers to go to private schools. That is because it takes them away from playing against adults on Saturday.

The private schools have produced only a handful of test batsmen. the GPS schools which is an elite school sporting competition has produced 130 wallabies (rugby union) and only ten test cricketers.

Steve Smith, Michael Clarke, David Warner, Brad Haddin and Mitchell Starc all went to state schools. I can't find what high school Josh Hazlewood went to for the record but he was playing for NSW by 17 anyway.

the other states its not such a disadvantage because they have shorter seasons for the school or play on another day allowing the kid to play grade cricket.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Bit of googling finds he was playing against adults as a child

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/josh-ready-for-spearhead-role-20121110-294qt.html

quote:

Athletics, however, was always doomed to struggle to keep Hazlewood who developed his lust for pace bowling when he was thrown the six-stitcher as a 12-year-old to lead the Tamworth Old Boy's first-grade team's attack against men old enough to be his father. He remembers the matches as contests in which no quarter was ever asked for and none given.

''There was sledging,'' he said. ''Not so much when I was bowling, they were pretty quiet when I had the ball, but definitely when I was batting and in general play.

hahah he played first grade at 12 as a fast bowler. That is mental

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Steven Smith 200 and 50= 9/10

What would get a 10

Playing for the English side I would guess. 9 looks like as high as the scale goes for an Australian. Judging from the scores the English players were given I'd estimate he would have been rated about 50 out of 10 if he did happen to be playing for England.

Probably my favourite part is the team totals. England 73 points. Australia 88 points. Last I checked the difference was a lot closer to 400 :laugh:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

In NSW (the state that produces the most Australian cricketers) its seen as a bit of a disadvantage for talented young cricketers to go to private schools. That is because it takes them away from playing against adults on Saturday.

The private schools have produced only a handful of test batsmen. the GPS schools which is an elite school sporting competition has produced 130 wallabies (rugby union) and only ten test cricketers.

Steve Smith, Michael Clarke, David Warner, Brad Haddin and Mitchell Starc all went to state schools. I can't find what high school Josh Hazlewood went to for the record but he was playing for NSW by 17 anyway.

the other states its not such a disadvantage because they have shorter seasons for the school or play on another day allowing the kid to play grade cricket.

Growing up in WA school cricket was basically a hit and giggle, while on the weekends you'd have club cricket on one day, and the best players played junior district cricket on the other. In addition the strongest junior players would also play senior district/club cricket on a Saturday arvo.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Fwiw, quick totting up of the England squad

Private school:

Root
Broad
Cook
Buttler
Bell
Ballance
Bairstow
Jordan

State School:

Anderson
Lyth
Stokes
Ali
Wood
Finn
Rashid

I'm not sure how it works in Australia, but over here private and state schoolboys alike play for their local clubs in league cricket too, so anyone who's any good plays against adults from an early age.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Spedman posted:

Growing up in WA school cricket was basically a hit and giggle, while on the weekends you'd have club cricket on one day, and the best players played junior district cricket on the other. In addition the strongest junior players would also play senior district/club cricket on a Saturday arvo.

Yep, I was reading an article the last time this discussion came up and Western Australia was the state listed as having the perfect balance for private school kids to still play adults. Hence why a hell of a lot of Western Australian test cricketers come through the private schools in WA.

Chris Rogers dad played FC cricket for NSW and was going to send his son to a state school in NSW because the private schools were so useless for cricket but got impressed by the standards in WA so sent him off to school there.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

The great Shane Watson went to a gps. Albeit in Ipswich.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

monkeu posted:

Playing for the English side I would guess. 9 looks like as high as the scale goes for an Australian. Judging from the scores the English players were given I'd estimate he would have been rated about 50 out of 10 if he did happen to be playing for England.

The England calibration is clearly the author going "Should they start the next test? If so, 7+". Anderson's rating for this match is justified by how he could perform in the next one, so they're not even pretending they're not just massaging the figures to make it look less bad.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
In Queensland my experience as a person who went to a GPS school is unless you played rugby you ignored GPS and pursued coaching and competition outside the system. I started competing against adults in my main sport when I was 12 and ignored the GPS system entirely.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

I'm not sure how it works in Australia, but over here private and state schoolboys alike play for their local clubs in league cricket too, so anyone who's any good plays against adults from an early age.

I can only speak for NSW

The private schools compete against one another on saturdays. That takes away any opportunity to play against adults. Ed Cowen went to a private school in NSW (Cranbrook) but his principle recognised his talent and allowed him to drop out playing for the school to participate in Sydney A grade.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Spedman posted:

theres always a few things mentioned about once a year when a boom young athlete has to pick between afl and cricket, but if they pick cricket i never really follow afterwards how they go, as i follow afl a lot closer. there are a fair few afl players who were gun cricketers in their youth, but at the end of the day i guess the question comes to the likelihood of making it at the top level vs the financial reward of choosing cricket over another domestic sport

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Byolante posted:

In Queensland my experience as a person who went to a GPS school is unless you played rugby you ignored GPS and pursued coaching and competition outside the system. I started competing against adults in my main sport when I was 12 and ignored the GPS system entirely.

Queenslands GPS season is also quite short and the players are encouraged to continue playing grade cricket up and until the season kicks off. The Sydney GPS season starts in loving october whereas in Queensland it starts in February so most of the grade season is over. Shane Watson for example could play grade cricket and then play in the Queensland GPS competition.

Also there is the fact that private schools expert more from students than just becoming cricketing robots. Steve Smith appears to only care about cricket like some kind of crazed cricket rainman. he nets for hours upon hours a day and he dropped out of school....to play cricket.

Also and this is probably the biggest story. Cricket has a bigger appeal in Australia across (and I hate to use the term) "class" lines. So some oik like David Warner is playing cricket instead of football.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Also and this is probably the biggest story. Cricket has a bigger appeal in Australia across (and I hate to use the term) "class" lines. So some oik like David Warner is playing cricket instead of football.

i think its hit a sudden resurgence with the better guarantee of a good payday with the T20 leagues. before they popped up most of the guys i knew playing amateurs felt the game was dying a slow death from the lack of young guys coming through in favour of (in perth at least) afl and soccer

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tanglewood1420 posted:

Private school:

Root (Yorkshire) Did he go to a private? I thought he went to a comprehensive, at least at first.
Broad (Rutland) Child of former player
Cook (Bedfordshire) Private on a music scholarship
Buttler (Somerset)
Bell (Warwickshire)
Ballance (t'North) Headhunted from Zimbabwe
Bairstow (York) Child of former player
Jordan (London) Headhunted from Barbados

State School:

Anderson (Burnley)
Lyth (Yorkshire)
Stokes (Cumbria)
Ali (Birmingham)
Wood (Northumberland)
Finn (Watford)
Rashid (Bradford)

I'm probably reading more into it than is there, but the South just doesn't seem to be producing cricketers.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Byolante posted:

I played Cricket in Queensland GPS and it was pretty competitive. I think just over half of the Queensland team in my age group were from GPS which was pretty funny. Obviously it's not going to be the same as playing against adults though.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

goatface posted:

I'm probably reading more into it than is there, but the South just doesn't seem to be producing cricketers.

Ballance moved to London when he was 15 (got a scholarship at Harrow), but yeah the current team is quite northern heavy.

Root went to a comprehensive till he was 16, then got a two year cricket scholarship at a public school, so I guess he's fifty/fifty.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Airstream Driver posted:

I played Cricket in Queensland GPS and it was pretty competitive. I think just over half of the Queensland team in my age group were from GPS which was pretty funny. Obviously it's not going to be the same as playing against adults though.

Maybe Grammar's cricket program was just hot garbage :iiam:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

tanglewood1420 posted:

Private school:

Root

If Joe wants to spend some of his ECB money on going to a private school after he takes his 11+ next year fair play to him I say

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Byolante posted:

Maybe Grammar's cricket program was just hot garbage :iiam:

They certainly weren't very good in my year. Had the best fields though. Them and Ipswich of all places.

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3

I can only speak for NSW

The private schools compete against one another on saturdays. That takes away any opportunity to play against adults. Ed Cowen went to a private school in NSW (Cranbrook) but his principle recognised his talent and allowed him to drop out playing for the school to participate in Sydney A grade.

In England the private schools also play each other on Saturdays, but their season ends in June. My club has had all the private school kids come back to play Saturday league cricket in the last few weeks. So they do get to play vs adults, but they won't play as many games as the state school kids who will play the whole season.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

snaeksikn posted:

i think its hit a sudden resurgence with the better guarantee of a good payday with the T20 leagues. before they popped up most of the guys i knew playing amateurs felt the game was dying a slow death from the lack of young guys coming through in favour of (in perth at least) afl and soccer

This will be different in NSW and QLD where AFL is less popular. Someone like Josh Hazlewood would have probably had to make the choice between AFL and cricket had he been say from WA but a gangly doofus isn't exactly a Rugby League body.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Cricket not on the fifth day for two tests in a row, this is pretty poo poo.

Perhaps England should doctor a pitch to make it last five days.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Watto should probably have chosen rugby, he seems well suited to NRL

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Negligent posted:

He has never hosed a dog, drank his own piss on instagram or beat his wife as far as I know so he wouldn't fit in.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Come on Monaghan only had simulated oral sex with a dog. You are making him sound like some kind of pervert :v:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Negligent posted:

Too big for League, should play Union.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

tanglewood1420 posted:

Ballance moved to London when he was 15 (got a scholarship at Harrow), but yeah the current team is quite northern heavy.

Root went to a comprehensive till he was 16, then got a two year cricket scholarship at a public school, so I guess he's fifty/fifty.

Yes Root went to a pretty standard state school (same one as Jessica Ennis incidentally). Mind you he's also from Dore, which is the posho part of Sheffield, no jokes plz

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I remember going to watch Wednesday play Newcastle on a School trip and we sat at the Hillsborough end, a drunk Geordie tried to buy our tickets off us and we got to pet a police horse.

Our Deputy Head knew Sting or something...

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
You're destined for cricket failure unless you spent your Saturday afternoons as a 15 year old having fat old 2nd XI tragics threaten to knock your head off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

snaeksikn posted:

The T20 leagues have been a big boon it was either be a part time athlete playing sheffield shield and or bouncing around county cricket hoping for a test call up while you made average money, now if you can turn the ball a little bit, field well enough and crack some boundaries you can make serious money. Shaun Tait has pretty much become a T20 only player and makes plenty of money. In the past he wouldn't have had that option.

There have been a few multiple sport athletes I've known who pretty much walked away from cricket because the money opportunities were better elsewhere. Berrick Barnes for instance was offered contracts after school with the Reds, Broncos and the Bulls but chose the Broncos who offered more money.

Drugs posted:

You're destined for cricket failure unless you spent your Saturday afternoons as a 15 year old having fat old 2nd XI tragics threaten to knock your head off.

Also tell you about how they would've played for Australia if not for the politics/knee injury/just bullshit mate.