Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nofather posted:

Oh yeah but you did get comics delivered to you.

The DCU site says "The full DC Comics digital library will be available for purchase in October."

I think the big two have had a way to subscribe to individual comics for decades. I subscribed to Ultimate Spider-Man when Mark Bagley was the artist and I remember trying to convince my parents to subscribe to every Spider-Man comic during the original Clone Saga (shut up, I was like 10 and there's some actual good stories in there) because it would save them money.

Jokes on them, they ended up buying every Spider-Man comic for me anyways so my plan would have saved them money (in fact, my dad bought 2 of most of the books with the idea of me reading one and keeping the other in mint condition because it'd eventually be worth a ton of money, so they really wasted a lot of money by ignoring the financial advice of a ten year old).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The comic selection right now is crap and if they don’t plan on marvel unlimited levels of back issues I won’t be renewing.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Vince MechMahon posted:

The comic selection right now is crap and if they don’t plan on marvel unlimited levels of back issues I won’t be renewing.

They don't and it's never even been suggested that they are.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Norwegian Rudo posted:

They’ve been incredibly vague about the comic poo poo. If the current plan is selling them then why am I paying them every month? The tv and movie selections are also woefully incomplete so surely it’s not that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Then what is the point

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

To get you to buy their comics.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endless Mike posted:

To get you to buy their comics.

That’s.....insanely dumb.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm shocked! Utterly shocked!

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09/16/heroes-in-crisis-1-death-confirmation-major-spoilers/

Nobody called this one.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
:cry:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s.....insanely dumb.

I honestly can't tell who this app is for.

If it's for casual fans then not having stuff like the CW shows and "new" movies (seriously they didn't even put Dark Knight Rises up with the other Batman stuff) is going to make it useless for them.

If it's for hardcore fans then not having a comic library similar to Marvel Unlimited, and missing a ton of older video stuff (no Smallville, no Shazam show, none of the old animated series other than super friends, etc.) makes it useless for them.

It feels like it's trying to serve two different masters and has no purpose or identity because it's failing at both. Honestly they should have made either a really good video service or a really good comic service, not a half rear end thing that does both badly.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Please keep HIC spoilers under your hats for the next week, even if DC promotes the thing by spilling the beans like usual. Cheers :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 17, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I honestly can't tell who this app is for.

If it's for casual fans then not having stuff like the CW shows and "new" movies (seriously they didn't even put Dark Knight Rises up with the other Batman stuff) is going to make it useless for them.

If it's for hardcore fans then not having a comic library similar to Marvel Unlimited, and missing a ton of older video stuff (no Smallville, no Shazam show, none of the old animated series other than super friends, etc.) makes it useless for them.

It feels like it's trying to serve two different masters and has no purpose or identity because it's failing at both. Honestly they should have made either a really good video service or a really good comic service, not a half rear end thing that does both badly.

In regards to CW poo poo, they have a 5 year contract that started in 2016 that I assume has an exclusivity clause originally intended to make sure Hulu and Amazon Prime wouldn't have that poo poo, but ended up shooting WB in the foot.

I think DC Universe is going to live or die on it's original programing, so, yeah, they're hosed unless Titans is way the gently caress better than it looks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

In regards to CW poo poo, they have a 5 year contract that started in 2016 that I assume has an exclusivity clause originally intended to make sure Hulu and Amazon Prime wouldn't have that poo poo, but ended up shooting WB in the foot.

I think DC Universe is going to live or die on it's original programing, so, yeah, they're hosed unless Titans is way the gently caress better than it looks.

Shouldn't at least season 1 of Arrow be up then?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Well there is also Doom Patrol and Young Justice S3. The latter could possibly carry it for a season or two giving time for the first two to get better. And honestly the elevator scene between Jason and Dick gives me a sliver of hope that maybe it won't be as bad as screenshots have hinted)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

At least they've got a DC Daily Show with John Barrowman and a bunch of nobodies anyone has ever heard of. Surely that must be worth the price.

No amount of shows or movies could make want to subscribe to this service. I already own any of the ones I'd want to watch. Literally the only draw for me would be a comic selection comparable to Marvel Unlimited.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Shouldn't at least season 1 of Arrow be up then?

I think it means they have exclusivity to all the CW poo poo for 5 years from 2016, including older poo poo. It's like if you had a 5 years exclusivity to The Godfather, it's yours for 5 years, nevermind that it was made 40 years ago.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I’m gonna get it for Doom Patrol (and probably regret it) and then immediately cancel.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I was a big idiot and did the pre-order thing so I'll give them this year to turn poo poo around. But if they really want me to give them money every month to be able to buy comics from them they can gently caress right off and won't ever get another cent from me.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://twitter.com/NerdGerhl/status/1041762574843502592

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean we've seen all the Batmobiles. It's obvious there's some overcompensation going on there.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

I am disappoint.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

People freaked the gently caress out of Spider-Man's balls in Reign enough that they changed the art for reprints, so Batman's cock being a big deal isn't surprising.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I wasn't expecting Kate to show up

quote:

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #29

Written by Scott Lobdell, art and cover by Pete Woods, variant cover by Yasmine Putri.

Batwoman joins the fight! Both Kate and Jason find themselves exiled from Gotham for taking the law into their own hands. But just because they both angered Batman doesn't make them allies...does it? Maybe not, but both are on the trail of a rogue player in the Underlife -- the secret cabal of criminal conspirators who play by a shared set of rules -- and teaming up could be the only way to take him down. What's actually hiding under the seemingly perfect surface of Appleton? The Red Hood might not live to expose it!

32 pages, $3.99, in stores on Dec. 5.

Rest of the solicits

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1809/17/dcdec.htm

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
From the Flash solicit, ...the Strength Force? This sounds like something dumber than the lantern spectrum is cooking...we going to see claims that Lex Luthor is channelling the Smarts Force next?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Flash, you may have the speed force, but I, Solomon Grundy, have the slow force. Have at you!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Thranguy posted:

From the Flash solicit, ...the Strength Force? This sounds like something dumber than the lantern spectrum is cooking...we going to see claims that Lex Luthor is channelling the Smarts Force next?

It's something that's popped up from the recent Flash War, which was really good. Not sure how I feel about all of these Forces, but it has been tying into the recent Justice League series.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Flash, you may have the speed force, but I, Solomon Grundy, have the slow force. Have at you!

That's the Turtle. :flashfact:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

DC Universe has been okay for me playing catchup to some movies, both live action and animated. The latter Christopher Reeve Superman movies (3 has a lot going for it okay), Gotham By Gaslight...

The comic selection is pretty weird with its arbitrary limitatons, but reading through Batman: Year One + Two, Batman and the Outsiders, and Impulse has worked fine so far.

The DC Daily show makes no goddamn sense. What is John Barrowman doing on this glorified QVC? Just show off creative teams via interviews and studio visits, I'll gobble that up no problem.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 17, 2018

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Would Bizarro have the Ecrof Force?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I just noticed that Action Comics, Batgirl, and Heroes in Crisis are missing from December solicits.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I just noticed that Action Comics, Batgirl, and Heroes in Crisis are missing from December solicits.

Batgirl and superman confirmed dead

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Batgirl and superman confirmed dead

So is the concept of crisis.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Crisis crisis

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Excited to see another King/Gerards Batman issue and a Tom Taylor/Otto Schmidt Batman Annual.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Looks like the 'missing' books are all shipping Jan 2, bumped out of December by the holiday skip week.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Thranguy posted:

Williamson actually also made something called the Sage Force which, yes, is the smarts force.

It's as absolutely loving dumb as it sounds. It's one of the worst ideas any Flash writer has had and he's basing the next like year's worth of comics, if not more, on it. That and having Barry dethrone Wally.

Not only is it bad and dumb, Flash since Flash War has the irredeemable failure of being utterly boring beyond belief. The only value it has is going "hey look at this character you haven't seen in awhile." Which, looking back on it now, is basically the only value it's had under Williamson. Shade, Zolomon, Jay, Max, Bart. All just references with no good stories or payoff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder what Mark Waid thinks about all this and if he regrets creating the Speed Force.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Williamson actually also made something called the Sage Force which, yes, is the smarts force.

Nah, those are two different. Going to be the Strength Force, Speed Force, Sturdy Force, Smarts Force, Sage Force, and Sexy Force. D&D stats named with 'S'.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I wonder what Mark Waid thinks about all this and if he regrets creating the Speed Force.

Everything I've ever read just has him regretting that the name was lazy.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Rhyno posted:

Speed Force was a great idea. It was responsible for and represented all the best things about Modern Flash. Ever since Barry's return it's been relegated to a stupid McGuffin.

The worst thing about it is the only reason it's called "Speed Force" is that Wally named it that mockingly because he thought the idea was preposterous when Max Mercury first told him. But now we got loving idiots from Monitors to New Gods calling it that. When no one but Wally and his tight circle of friends should call it that. That alone shows how removed from the original good concept it's been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
when you give something a name and then only ever use that name it's going to stick