Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
we've already established this thread knows gently caress all about what box office numbers mean except "big ones are good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

fruit on the bottom posted:

It was actually one of the better Daredevil runs if you embraced the absurdity of it all. The way he gets Doom to switch them back is that since everyone believes he is Doom, he uses his new authority to immediately declare war on every surrounding country, so Doom has to abandon his plan to keep people from nuking the poo poo out of Latveria.

That's incredible.

Lobok posted:

The whole idea of Marvel's Silver Age shared universe was shameless marketing.

Yeah, but it was smart. DC putting most of its heroes in their own separate cities is part of why they're constantly unraveling and restitching their universe together. Not that Marvel doesn't do their own wild crossovers, but nobody has had to punch reality yet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

nobody has had to punch reality yet.

Except Franklin Richards like 4 times.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aphrodite posted:

Half your budget domestic opening weekend is actually pretty good.

Yeah but Sony wanted this to be huge apparently.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Haha that was great. I've been reading old silver age marvel stuff and it's amazingly campy.

Daredevil is really bad though

E: I'm a wise-cracking hero, with red as a primary color. I primarily fight with agility and acrobatics while swing around buildings, aided by a powerful superhuman sense that lets me pick up on things others might miss and often helps me avoid danger. Also my personal life is a complete mess. Who am I?

To be fair maybe DD didn't know his costume was red.
Also wasn't Silver Age DD costume yellow and red?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Jamesman posted:

Emoji Movie is at $25 million for the opening weekend. It cost over twice that.

Gear up for more of Marvel's Spider-Man, everyone.

I'm extremely disappointed in anyone who gave any part of that $25 million, especially Trolls 2 star Justin McElroy.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sgt. Politeness posted:

So Atomic Blonde is based on a graphic novel, can we talk about how "amazing" that movie is holymyfuckinshit!

I liked it. It was a spectacle movie, and definitely best seen in theaters.

It made me really want to see Velvet on the big screen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked it but the plot gets a little overly complicated by the end.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That’s an even more dick move from Matt. I really need to look this run up.

The arc goes from Daredevil #35-38, and concludes in Fantastic Four #73.

I actually just got there in the reading order yesterday so it was easy enough to find.

Madkal posted:

To be fair maybe DD didn't know his costume was red.
Also wasn't Silver Age DD costume yellow and red?

Originally yeah, but that got changed really early in, like within the first 10 issues.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

muscles like this! posted:

I liked it but the plot gets a little overly complicated by the end.

It really does. I had to sit down and write everything out to get it straight in my head after I saw the film.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

Emoji Movie is at $25 million for the opening weekend. It cost over twice that.

Gear up for more of Marvel's Spider-Man, everyone.

Probably didn't have enough humblebragging or snapchatting or EDM.

Would've been very buzzworthy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Apparently the eggplant emoji was one of the ones banished to the "room of unused emojis" which tells me that the scriptwriters really didn't respect the lore.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Apparently the eggplant emoji was one of the ones banished to the "room of unused emojis" which tells me that the scriptwriters really didn't respect the lore.

You have to let people know that it's thick, purple, and constantly pointed upwards

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SonicRulez posted:

Yeah, but it was smart.

Definitely smart. I just said that because the goon I quoted seemed to think that the one Annual was blatant about it but that's how Marvel rolled back then in general.

It eventually became a joke how much Spider-Man or Wolverine were used to bump up attention and sales of other titles but Spider-Man was given that treatment himself by the then-more-popular FF in his own first issue. Super obvious tie-in marketing right from the get-go.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

Yeah but Sony wanted this to be huge apparently.

Exactly. Sony was basically banking on this movie to be a huge success and were putting all their eggs into this basket.

We'll see how the international box office goes, but right now it's not looking so great for Sony.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

So by amazing being in quotes, I assume you didn't like it?

No I loving loved it but I'm no longer certain I know the definition of amazing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Amazing was the music selection.

99 luftballoons twice.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Jordan7hm posted:

Amazing was the music selection.

99 luftballoons twice.

Also Voices Carry twice.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Aphrodite posted:

Half your budget domestic opening weekend is actually pretty good.

Generally they have a strong weekend. This had a strong Friday plus Thursday night. If it hangs on a bit, it could be 'ok'. If it keeps falling off [Word of mouth and reviews have been horrific, but that doesn't always matter with a movie like this] then it's going to be bad. Which is to say: Literally nothing of any worth can be said this early on except for that fact it's probably going to do amazing for a movie where one of the main characters is poo poo.

e: And also one them is Patrick Stewart playing a poop emoji.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 31, 2017

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Here's Domino from Deadpool 2

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

Hmmmm. My "that's loving amazing" sense is tingling.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Dacap posted:

Who is playing her?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

New Wave Jose posted:

Who is playing her?

Zazie Beetz from Atlanta.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Flipping the scheme to a white dot on her face is brilliant. She looks so goddamned good.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That rules

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can someone explain what the eye thing is, since it doesn't seem to have cover the entire area like under her eyes? Is it cosmetic or *a thing*?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

ufarn posted:

Can someone explain what the eye thing is, since it doesn't seem to have cover the entire area like under her eyes? Is it cosmetic or *a thing*?

She's Barf's daughter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ufarn posted:

In the comics she has white skin (but she's not albino) because of her mutation, and a black eye patch tattoo.

I assume it's a tattoo in the movie too but we don't know yet.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dacap posted:

Oh yeah that's the stuff.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Never heard of this character or actress. I wouldn't have even guessed she was non white (didn't even see the dot) until someone pointed it out.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Never heard of this character or actress. I wouldn't have even guessed she was non white (didn't even see the dot) until someone pointed it out.

She IS light-skinned, but you couldn't tell that a black woman with a giant afro was non-white?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thought the afro was a wig

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The way she's lit in the photo may have something to do with it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also I'm seeing this in a thumbnail on a phone

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I hope the contrast between her skin and the white tattoo is a bit more stark in the film itself. I like the idea of reversing the colour of Domino's tattoo, but I think it should be a little more pronounced.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I just noticed the Deadpool rug.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

From this picture it looks like she doesn't have a tattoo over her eye, she has vitiligo:

I really dig it.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

rantmo posted:

From this picture it looks like she doesn't have a tattoo over her eye, she has vitiligo:

I really dig it.

That looks much better than the first picture. Although, the effect would look much better contrasted with a darker skin tone, but it's Hollywood casting so that would never happen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, that's doing it for me. That hair is majestic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I suppose this works. I'm a bit disappointed because I have a crush on classic Domino I liked her comics appearance.

I'm not going to protest or anything.

• Locked thread