Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you don't want the whole ones search for "ume paste", there are a bunch of them available. I've only used the one in the tube. The Eden Foods brand is probably good, their stuff usually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I wanted them chopped to mix with rice, but the paste might work.

I could definitely just chop them myself, but I'm lazy and don't want to deal with the pits :v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Umeboshi are so mushy that chopping them up just ends up being paste anyway. If you're looking for rice flavoring specifically maybe check out an ume furikake.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
all east asian cuisine, notwithstanding the bread-eating regions like heilongjiang, is basically rice flavoring

if you're looking for rice flavoring specifically, look at eating literally any east asian food whatsoever

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Imo food > supplements for fiber sources. You just cant take that much powder/pills.

15g isnt a lot of fiber, its literally under half your RDA. But if youre coming from no fiber, you may have to work up to it.

Vegetables are a great source, obviously, and some fruits. Lentils are fantastic, I make a batch on the weekend and put it in stuff / put stuff on it all week. Lately Ive gotten into low-carb tortillas, I dont care about low-carb, but they have a bonkers amount of fiber and I love the spinach flavor. Popcorn, cereal, there are a ton of options.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Qubee posted:

Does anyone have any simple and easy recipes that incorporate flax and chia powder? I'm in desperate need of extra fibre in my diet and could use the help they provide. I just don't know the best way to eat them other than mixing in a cup of water and downing...

Update: mixing flax and chia powder in water with a little flavoured protein powder actually goes down a treat. Had to be careful not to drink the entire thing at once because I'm pretty sure 15g of fibre in one shot would cause my intestines to fall out of my rear end.

Look up no-meatloaf recipes. This is the one I've used a couple times. It may take a little bit of trial and error to dial in the hydration to get the right texture, but since you're going for fiber and not an actual vegan meal you can use beef stock or Better Than Bouillon or something to better imitate the flavor. For that recipe, if you specifically want chia flour, I'd just sub it in place of the oat flour.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Shooting Blanks posted:

Look up no-meatloaf recipes. This is the one I've used a couple times. It may take a little bit of trial and error to dial in the hydration to get the right texture, but since you're going for fiber and not an actual vegan meal you can use beef stock or Better Than Bouillon or something to better imitate the flavor. For that recipe, if you specifically want chia flour, I'd just sub it in place of the oat flour.

Meatloaf without meat is a sin in the eyes of god.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
bro is making Loaf

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
My wife made a full 6 portion meal of a shredded chicken/pesto pasta meal in an instant pot. It was pretty dry when I had it fresh, but now it's in a Tupperware in the fridge and I need to eat it for lunch at work with only a microwave to reheat it.

Help me cooking goons, you're my only hope.

Can I make a simple sauce myself to bring that I can dump into the Tupperware/mix and help bring this to life?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Crunkjuice posted:

My wife made a full 6 portion meal of a shredded chicken/pesto pasta meal in an instant pot. It was pretty dry when I had it fresh, but now it's in a Tupperware in the fridge and I need to eat it for lunch at work with only a microwave to reheat it.

Help me cooking goons, you're my only hope.

Can I make a simple sauce myself to bring that I can dump into the Tupperware/mix and help bring this to life?

IMO. Just bring some more olive oil (with a little salt in it), dump it in and stir it. The flavor will all still be there, but you get some sauciness back from the oil.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You could also probably just add a teaspoon or two of water to the container before nuking it. It'd be a hell of a lot better than nothing, anyway.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you want more pesto, add more pesto?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Sounds like a plan. I'm gonna make a little tiny Tupperware of olive oil/pesto to mix/dump in before I zap it.

Gracias

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Whenever I nuke a dry starch, I add 1 ice cube per ~1/2 cup of food. Helps keep it from turning into plastic. Makes the biggest difference with rice, but I'd do it in your case too.

Seems to help better than a splash of water, not sure why though, I think maybe a higher mass to absorb extra microwaves. Discard the cubes after done heating.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Doom Rooster posted:

Simple fresh fava bean pure served with good toasted bread is amazing. Google fava bean pure and the Taste recipe looks pretty spot on. I agree with their less is more approach.

Scientastic posted:

Theyre pretty amazing pickled

Mintymenman posted:

Sauté in olive oil with cumin seed, fresh oregano and garlic, serve over rice. Fresh Ful Medames, approximately. You can also pulse cooked favas with bread crumbs, Parm and herbs as a agnolotti or ravioli filling.

Thanks all, tried them pureed and straight sauteed, all were very good. Will grow some extra next year to try them pickled, any recipe?

BrianBoitano posted:

Nabbed some at the farmer's market this weekend and this is my plan: succotash

How was your succotash?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Carillon posted:

Thanks all, tried them pureed and straight sauteed, all were very good. Will grow some extra next year to try them pickled, any recipe?

How was your succotash?

Been meaning to try this too: https://www.seriouseats.com/egyptian-bissara-recipe-7109529

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Qubee posted:

Does anyone have any simple and easy recipes that incorporate flax and chia powder? I'm in desperate need of extra fibre in my diet and could use the help they provide. I just don't know the best way to eat them other than mixing in a cup of water and downing...

Update: mixing flax and chia powder in water with a little flavoured protein powder actually goes down a treat. Had to be careful not to drink the entire thing at once because I'm pretty sure 15g of fibre in one shot would cause my intestines to fall out of my rear end.
An easy way to eat more flaxseeds is to use 1 Tbsp flaxseed powder + 2.5 Tbsp water, mixed and left alone for 5 minutes, in place of 1 egg in baked goods. You can do something similar with chia I think but I've never done it.

For actual recipes, though:
https://ethiopianroots.com/telba-ethiopian-flaxseed-beverage-recipe/
https://profusioncurry.com/flaxseed-garlic-chutney-superfoods-chutney/

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've never dried them before, do you them in shell?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ive been making this weird cabbage soup, that will last me about seven to ten meals. I basically cook it from what takes the longest to the shortest time. Everything literally just gets thrown into a pot.

Cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, potatoes, Bell peppers, golden, beets, celery, brussels sprouts. Salt, pepper, vegetable, bouillon, chicken bouillon. Olive oil as a topping.

I dont know how much fiber is in this, or how healthy it is, but I cant imagine that its not relatively healthy compared to like anything else I have made. Maybe next time Ill add in some cut up chicken thighs and add some couscous rice. Baby I might have myself a stew going.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
That sounds good and quite healthy, but dear lord don't overcook it or your entire life will smell like trucker farts.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Qubee posted:

Breakfast bricks!
I made these for three seasons as the Backcountry quartermaster and cook for a huge summer camp. Shelf stable for a couple of weeks, nice flexible recipe, only one tricky ingredient to find.

2C oats
1/2C of puffed quinoa, flax seed, hemp seed, chia seed, cocoa nibs
1C chopped nuts
1/2C dried fruit of choice, chopped

Toast all ingredients in a 300° oven for 20 minutes, stirring every 5-7 minutes

In medium sauce pot, heat on medium
1C nut butter of choice
1C Pomegranate molasses

Combine wet and dry ingredients in a large bowl, mix vigorously to combine, then spread on a 1/2 sheet so the mixture is approximately 3/4" thick.
Return to oven for 20 more minutes.
Remove from oven, let cool and slice into 1"x3" portions. Keeps indefinitely wrapped in foil in the fridge, good for about two weeks at room temp. You don't really need the psyllium husk, but you could easily toss some in for the two bowls of All-Bran experience.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
This page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku42Iszh9KM

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mintymenman posted:

only one tricky ingredient to find.
Which one is tricky - the puffed quinoa, the hemp seed, the cocoa nib, or the pomegranate molasses? I feel the the first four a pretty tricky if you don't have a bougie/fancy health food store to shop at. Pomegranate molasses is tricky if you don't have a Middle Eastern place.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Carillon posted:

Will grow some extra next year to try them pickled, any recipe?

Why, certainly!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Qubee posted:

Putting it over some granola and yoghurt has been my go-to for flax. No faff.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

obi_ant posted:

What are some of your guys "go to" olive oil brands? I typically only go for the California Olive Ranch, but looking to expand my horizons.

A bit behind here, but get Al Wazir or other Lebanese olive oil if you can. It's really good.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Carillon posted:

How was your succotash?

Fantastic! First time with fresh fava beans, way better than dried. But I didn't buy nearly enough, what with the double hulls.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A bit behind here, but get Al Wazir or other Lebanese olive oil if you can. It's really good.

Good to know, thanks! Just checked my local Mediterranean market and they carry this brand, when my current bottle runs out I'll give it a try.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Shooting Blanks posted:

Good to know, thanks! Just checked my local Mediterranean market and they carry this brand, when my current bottle runs out I'll give it a try.

Tunisian olive oil is also really great - Terra Delyssa is a big brand that's popping up in supermarkets now, so you'll probably be able to find that locally too.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

Fantastic! First time with fresh fava beans, way better than dried. But I didn't buy nearly enough, what with the double hulls.

Hell yeah, looks great. If they are fresh enough and you're not like pureeing, I find you can get away with not doing the double shell, depends if course of their size too.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I'm currently watching some really early Gordon Ramsay and Marco Pierre White videos on Youtube, and was wondering about other super-ego psycho chefs from the 20th century. Any good ones that have a biography worth reading? While googling I discovered Marie-Antoine Carme (18th century, but still), but sadly there's not much written about his life.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Annath posted:

So, I want to make some bean soup.

:words:

Any suggestions on either something with a similar flavor profile, or a way to use the smoked neck bones while not letting them fall apart/get mixed into the soup?

I do the same thing, but that morning, early, I will start simmering the bones or ham hock in water for about four hours. I let the stock cool some or add ice so it's less of a scalding risk then ladle the stock into a bowl through a strainer. this also makes it easier to pick out any meat to chop up and save for the soup

you can also do it the day before, refrigerate the strained broth, and skim the solid fat the next day

it takes more time and you dirty more dishes, but I think it's worth it for a bone-free soup, and I always feel like an idiot when I am trying to scrape beans or greens off boiling hot seasoning mean if I skip this step

if sodium is not a concern, country ham chips are a lean alternative that give you a nice meaty soup with a lot of flavor

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Qubee posted:

I do a lentil loaf thats got a good bit of fiber, easy to mix more into it imo https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961263&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=3#post536034841

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

DasNeonLicht posted:

I do the same thing, but that morning, early, I will start simmering the bones or ham hock in water for about four hours. I let the stock cool some or add ice so it's less of a scalding risk then ladle the stock into a bowl through a strainer. this also makes it easier to pick out any meat to chop up and save for the soup

you can also do it the day before, refrigerate the strained broth, and skim the solid fat the next day

it takes more time and you dirty more dishes, but I think it's worth it for a bone-free soup, and I always feel like an idiot when I am trying to scrape beans or greens off boiling hot seasoning mean if I skip this step

if sodium is not a concern, country ham chips are a lean alternative that give you a nice meaty soup with a lot of flavor

Lots of good suggestions, especially the country ham.

One of the perks of living in Virginia is there's no shortage of very high quality country ham.

Also, the best peanuts, but those are less relevant for bean soup.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

busalover posted:

I'm currently watching some really early Gordon Ramsay and Marco Pierre White videos on Youtube, and was wondering about other super-ego psycho chefs from the 20th century. Any good ones that have a biography worth reading? While googling I discovered Marie-Antoine Carme (18th century, but still), but sadly there's not much written about his life.

Elizabeth David was one of the best food writers to ever live. Most of her books are worth reading for all the little fragments of culinary history she unearthed.

Carme is the source of one of my favourite quotes: when his boss complained the food was so delicious that he felt like eating himself to death, Carme replied "Sire, it is my duty to provoke your appetite, not to regulate it".

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Annath posted:

Lots of good suggestions, especially the country ham.

One of the perks of living in Virginia is there's no shortage of very high quality country ham.

Also, the best peanuts, but those are less relevant for bean soup.

Boiled peanuts are bean soup. Topic locked

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Soul Dentist posted:

Boiled peanuts are bean soup. Topic locked

:hmmyes:

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

busalover posted:

I'm currently watching some really early Gordon Ramsay and Marco Pierre White videos on Youtube, and was wondering about other super-ego psycho chefs from the 20th century. Any good ones that have a biography worth reading? While googling I discovered Marie-Antoine Carême (18th century, but still), but sadly there's not much written about his life.

Life ala Henri by Henri Charpentier and The Apprentice by Jacques Pepin give a really great view of the French kitchen through the entire 20th century. Both are autobiographies, with all that entails. There's also White's memoir The Devil in the Kitchen which is also a great read. For more contemporary, Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton and Notes from a Young Black Chef by Kwame Onwuachi.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My favorite bit from Pepin is how when he was just entering a kitchen he heard the restaurant had some "alligator pears" in the fridge. Since he loved pears he snuck back and stole one and just bit right into it and that's how he first tried avocado

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

prayer group posted:

bro is making Loaf

Funniest post in this thread, full stop.