Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Interesting- seems like they're splitting capitalists and aristocrats into separate "financial district" and "manor house" buildings which then own levels of various other buildings. This could also make industry in the periphery more interesting since the profits might flow out if the region into the richer core, and you won't need qualifications to "hire" local owners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh wow, I am incredibly hyped. This is everything I wanted to improve the game.

RPing ideological governments is gonna be so much more fun with the tools to actually affect the world.

Imagine getting a country with huge potential in your market and actually being able to build them up, but using their vast labor pool for your own economic benefit.

Oh god, imagine what the British Empire will be able to do with India.

I can't wait to get more details on how exactly this will all work!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Yeah hopefully a better degree of discriminated labor mobility gets added alongside this (if 1.6 hasn't already?) since the trade in Indian & Chinese labor was huge at the time

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

"Full Imperialism: the DLC" can seriously shake up the game if I am imagining things right

Among other things, South America can get really spicy with the many conflicts based on foreign investment, plus the power blocs thingie. I suppose the first one is going to be Metternich's post-Napoleonic order?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Persia is my go to for patches that add in a lot of new stuff so the whole region getting an overhaul sounds great. Can't wait to try to avoid getting the country spit roasted by Russia and the UK and failing!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Agean90 posted:

Persia is my go to for patches that add in a lot of new stuff so the whole region getting an overhaul sounds great. Can't wait to try to avoid getting the country spit roasted by Russia and the UK and failing!

As much as I'm excited for all the other new things, just looking at that hosed up map with like 15 different minors in Central Asia / Afghanistan makes me think how awkward and fun it will be playing as one of them :v:

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Ofaloaf posted:

They literally walked up to my desk one day and asked if I could recommend trains for an art pack, and of course I've had a Train Matrix sorted by country and historical period prepared for just such an occasion.

surprised they didn't require everyone to have a Train Matrix as a condition for even being on the Vicky 3 team

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Spheres of Influence looks like it's going to be amazing. I haven't played V3 in a bit, but drat am I going to get my money's worth this Summer.

edit: so I was just looking at the screenshots in Steam's dlc page for V3. What's this about a new building that's called a financial district?

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 6, 2024

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The outliner changes are nice but they took away the ability to collapse buildings by type, so it's just one big list. You can pin the ones that you want to keep track of, but there's no way to pin a whole building type like you used to be able to. Not ideal.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ithle01 posted:

Spheres of Influence looks like it's going to be amazing. I haven't played V3 in a bit, but drat am I going to get my money's worth this Summer.

edit: so I was just looking at the screenshots in Steam's dlc page for V3. What's this about a new building that's called a financial district?

My guess, as above, is that they're splitting ownership of buildings into "employees" of separate financial buildings

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

My guess, as above, is that they're splitting ownership of buildings into "employees" of separate financial buildings

That's a pretty good guess. I'm just wondering if there's more to it than that...something to do with currency? Private investment rework maybe? Because it sort of sounds like there's going to be some reworking of the private side too.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i was hype to try some 1.6 but now im too hype for SoI. drat u paradox...

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

It would make sense to me if the private construction queue borrowed some of the new mechanics being used for foreign investment, since conceptually they're somewhat similar. It would give a larger distinction between public and private construction which could have major political and economic implications.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Folks, the trains, are good. They make me go "choo choo" every time one shows up on the screen. And that's all I could ask for.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man I'm hype for foreign investment, that'll fix so many of my issues re: sphering as a sphere leader

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Vizuyos posted:

surprised they didn't require everyone to have a Train Matrix as a condition for even being on the Vicky 3 team

One of the questions I was asked during my interview was who should have won the Austro-Prussian War

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Enjoy posted:

One of the questions I was asked during my interview was who should have won the Austro-Prussian War

:allears:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
What did they do with migration in 1.6? I had a game as Lanfang before the patch the migrants from china were piling in so fast I didn't know what to do with them; after the patch - 0 migration

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Foreign investment is going to make the late game much nicer because you can just build rubber and oil in other countries without a war. I think its also going to have a big impact on multiplayer because bigger players can help build up smaller players and disempower their landlords by creating jobs.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Pyromancer posted:

What did they do with migration in 1.6? I had a game as Lanfang before the patch the migrants from china were piling in so fast I didn't know what to do with them; after the patch - 0 migration

China has Closed Borders now.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
As someone who always plays Afghanistan or its equivalents in Paradox games I am glad to see the area getting some attention. Now the only thing that will determine whether or not the expansion is any good is whether they correctly implement Zunism.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Warning: if you do Corn Laws as an isolationist power (this was just added in 1.6), make sure you have the law which lets you enact Free Trade researched first, otherwise you might be stuck with Corn Laws active for a while which gives you lots of bad events

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone notice performance changes in the new patch? I've seen one person saying it's considerably improved in the late game (1900 onwards)

Gort fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 7, 2024

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gort posted:

Anyone notice performance changes in the new patch? I've seen one person saying it's considerably improved in the late game (1900 onwards)

You're referring to Haresus in the Performance Benchmark thread?

I've seen a bunch of people complaining that it's gotten worse, but he's the only one that's trying to give hard numbers from (somewhat) controlled experiments, so I think I'd trust him before anyone else.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 7, 2024

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I do think the early game is slower but it's definitely faster later on though I only played to 1870 before I stopped yesterday

In case anyone cares about how cultural communities are formed someone on the PDX forums made a really good post about it

The short answer is that there's a lot of stuff to do with geography which influences it and it's going to generally be harder to get new cultural communities to spawn especially in places with turmoil or malaria or if there are already a lot of different cultures present

E:

If anyone's having problems with migration; early reports suggest that there might be a bug where the migration controls law sometimes stops allowing migration unless you also have multiculturalism active, so until it's fixed I'd suggest always passing no migration controls.

This doesn't always happen though, I was getting normal migration in my game yesterday with migration controls.

Also the cause of the bug with the private construction queue stealing government money has been identified so it's likely that this will be fixed shortly (the reason this bug seems to keep reoccurring is because anything which makes the construction cost estimate used by the private queue no longer accurate completely breaks it)

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 7, 2024

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
will they fix the migration..ever? curious listeners ask

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

RabidWeasel posted:

If anyone's having problems with migration; early reports suggest that there might be a bug where the migration controls law sometimes stops allowing migration unless you also have multiculturalism active, so until it's fixed I'd suggest always passing no migration controls.

This doesn't always happen though, I was getting normal migration in my game yesterday with migration controls.

There's definitely something wrong there - post-patch as Lanfang I wasn't getting any migration aside from internal. And that's with no migration control, and China also had no migration control.
Even became migration target of Chinese cultures couple of times but no migrants actually came. Nobody from Korea either.
I wonder what's going on in Europe?

oh, carry on

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The current working theory on migration is that if any pop within an entire market wants to migrate to a cultural community within that market but is prevented due to migration laws, then it breaks all migration inside that market (possibly only until you reload, I wasn't 100% clear on that)

There's a mod on the Steam workshop which fixes this by making no migration controls into the only migration law.

NoModsNoMasters69
May 17, 2023
for gently caress's sakes, cant pdx ever release a loving patch without breaking poo poo? the thing that gets me the most is performance. this was supposed to be the performance patch, and now it's worse! I was really looking forward to playing this weekend, but now I probably have to wait at least another week more for "hot fixes".

Keisari
May 24, 2011

NoModsNoMasters69 posted:

for gently caress's sakes, cant pdx ever release a loving patch without breaking poo poo? the thing that gets me the most is performance. this was supposed to be the performance patch, and now it's worse! I was really looking forward to playing this weekend, but now I probably have to wait at least another week more for "hot fixes".

Embrace the slideshow

Edit: Actually maybe I'll also wait and play bg3.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

There is something weird going on with performance, we think it's related to long sessions as it seems to fix itself when you load into a save. Might be a memory leak, we have coders investigating.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Wiz posted:

There is something weird going on with performance, we think it's related to long sessions as it seems to fix itself when you load into a save. Might be a memory leak, we have coders investigating.

I cannot even imagine how complex making a game like V3 must be, I have a lot of sympathy for you guys trying to keep weird bugs and performance issues at bay

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

RabidWeasel posted:

I cannot even imagine how complex making a game like V3 must be, I have a lot of sympathy for you guys trying to keep weird bugs and performance issues at bay

:emptyquote:

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

The fact that V3 works at all and isn't a horrendous slideshow all of the time is a feat of programming expertise.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:cripes:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Truly a work of (terrible, evil) art.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
What if the USA was even more evil and drunk than OTL?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Kurgarra Queen posted:

What if the USA was even more evil and drunk than OTL?

This America was smart enough not to take Texas.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Quixzlizx posted:

This America was smart enough not to take Texas.
Yes, but they kept Florida for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

It's weird, there are people in the performance thread on the official forums who are reporting that the game sped up enormously compared to previous patches.

Consensus seems to be that the early game is marginally slower while late game is faster. Given that the early game was always fine (at least for me) I'll take that trade.

All that said, I haven't actually loaded the game since the patch yet.