Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Honourable mention because it's not feature length:
Alien Abduction Caught On Tape

All honesty, thanks so much for reposting this because I remember watching it from a link you posted before in I think the General Chat thread but I couldn't find it again. This thing owns, just charming as all hell and surprisingly pretty.

I gotta say, though, I really wish I could like The Bay more than I do. Its political messages are admirable, and the ideas you've posted about it claiming that infodumps have to be mediated by genre narratives go a long way towards softening my dislike of the film, but... it mediates its Wikileaks dump with a bad genre narrative. It's so intensely self-aware, self-conscious, self-effacing that it becomes this ouroboros that constantly justifies and then criticizes and then laboriously explains its own footage. If it's doing that in order to frame its data-driven political points in a more emotionally resonant way (and in the broader sense to claim that data-driven political points HAVE to be wrapped in emotional resonance), it shoots past the target by half.

The strings are just so transparent, because a lot of the film's thrust seems to be calling attention to the necessity of the strings - and that doesn't make for an enjoyable watching experience. The Bay spends so much time apologizing for its second-rate narratability while insisting forcefully that that second-rate narratability is actually a point in its own favor. It's just such an incredibly fussy film, and one that's a lot easier for me to respect than it is for me to like or enjoy. Contrast with The McPherson Tape, which is utterly unapologetic about its limited narratability and all the stronger for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Lords of Salem is a remake of Halloween 3: Season of the Witch.

And Season of the Witch (2011) is a remake of my dreams.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

foodfight posted:

Resolution and American Mary were both recently added to Netflix. Word.

American Mary is great, go watch it people.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

Suddenly I'm in much more of a hurry to see this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's not as good obviously, but it totally is.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I really liked the lords of salem. Rob Zombie trying his best at aping David Lynch. Although unlike your typical Lynch movie it doesn't really leave you with enough questions at the end. It's very unambiguous what's happening, especially towards the end, to the movies detriment. And I actually thought Sheri did a pretty good job, her dialogue sounds a lot more natural than it did when she was Baby Firefly. Devil's Rejects still stands as his masterpiece, though.

I've been hankering to watch Devil's Rejects, such a great film. I wonder if Zombie will do anything that great ever again.
I feel like Sheri Moon would be cool to hang out with, you see and read interviews from her and she just seems so chill.:shobon:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Her last name legally got changed to Zombie... Of course she's a chill gal.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jonny Angel posted:

All honesty, thanks so much for reposting this because I remember watching it from a link you posted before in I think the General Chat thread but I couldn't find it again. This thing owns, just charming as all hell and surprisingly pretty.

I gotta say, though, I really wish I could like The Bay more than I do. Its political messages are admirable, and the ideas you've posted about it claiming that infodumps have to be mediated by genre narratives go a long way towards softening my dislike of the film, but... it mediates its Wikileaks dump with a bad genre narrative. It's so intensely self-aware, self-conscious, self-effacing that it becomes this ouroboros that constantly justifies and then criticizes and then laboriously explains its own footage. If it's doing that in order to frame its data-driven political points in a more emotionally resonant way (and in the broader sense to claim that data-driven political points HAVE to be wrapped in emotional resonance), it shoots past the target by half.

The strings are just so transparent, because a lot of the film's thrust seems to be calling attention to the necessity of the strings - and that doesn't make for an enjoyable watching experience. The Bay spends so much time apologizing for its second-rate narratability while insisting forcefully that that second-rate narratability is actually a point in its own favor. It's just such an incredibly fussy film, and one that's a lot easier for me to respect than it is for me to like or enjoy. Contrast with The McPherson Tape, which is utterly unapologetic about its limited narratability and all the stronger for it.

The trick to appreciating The Bay is to switch perspectives; it's not failing to make things more emotionally resonant - it's succeeding at making things more detached.

The film is bleak and borderline misanthropic. The individual characters are stupid, and their actions meaningless. Police, journalists, doctors... no-one understands that the disaster is caused by systemic problems beyond the scope of any one person to control. American-style individual freedom has devalued everyone's lives - hence why the film is set during independence day.

What prevents it from being totally nihilistic is the unspoken but implicit flipside: that people could be so much better if given a proper support structure.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Breanna Manning posted:

Her last name legally got changed to Zombie... Of course she's a chill gal.

Sheri Moon Zombie is the perfect name for her.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
I just watched Resolution and I have to recommend it with the others who have done so here, despite its faults. It's a nicely executed character-piece that is actually dedicated to making the dudes likable even as things go to poo poo, and for my money it's a more thoughtful riff on Evil Dead than something like Cabin in the Woods.

That said, I also agree that it loving falls apart at the end. Some more thoughts on that below.

So about ten minutes from the end, when Chris and Mike are shooting the poo poo about old times and watching the tweakers hang out in the cabin, I became so unbearably tense about what was going that I was thinking to myself "Jesus, just end already." And then I remembered the title of the film and realized, oh hey, I'm the evil force they're dealing with, cool, I guess? Except I, like, don't want them to die? I want things to turn out reasonably well and some ambiguity to be maintained about how much of what I just saw was paranoia and how much was supernatural bullshit? Then, of course, the camera actually becomes the goddamn monster, which hey, Evil Dead homage aside, feels frustrating because it didn't seem to do much other than castigate the genre in a way that feels very pointless and tired. Yellowbrickroad, which I've seen this compared to for I think good reason, had a more compelling manner of representing cinema as a fantasmatic entity intent on devouring human souls (cheesy effects aside).

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I would have enjoyed Lords of Salem a lot more if this were the case.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Has anyone seen Absence? It popped up on Netflix and I'm a sucker for found footage movies but it looks like it got reviewed really badly. I guess im asking if it does anything cool/neat with the genre that makes it worth ignoring any flaws it might have.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The trick to appreciating The Bay is to switch perspectives;

The only thing to appreciate about The Bay is the main character's physique, because, :drat:

edit: Resolution is a trip, drat good watch.

sigher fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 8, 2013

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Green Inferno is excellent, well, maybe not excellent, but certainly the best cannibal movie to drop in a while. It certainly pushes the envelope and updates a lot of cannibal movie tropes (no animal mutilation here) while seeming really authentic by using actual tribespeople and actually shooting the whole thing in the Amazon. Lorenza Izzo has the chops to be a great scream queen, especially after her turn in Aftershock last year.

Oh and Roth confirmed at the premiere last night that they're already working on a sequel, Beyond The Green Inferno. Really surreal to be at a screening of an Eli Roth world premiere with Alex Aja, Ti West, and Bobcat Goldthwait all in attendance.

e: Tonight I've got OCULUS, the second feature from ABSENTIA director MIke Flanagan. I'm a little burned out on supernatural poo poo but I liked Absentia a lot so I'm willing to give it a chance.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 8, 2013

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Why was SMG put on probation for that post?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

Why was SMG put on probation for that post?

Because Koos was temporarily a FYAD admin.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Oh and I was kind of disappointed with the new McKee (Only Cheerleaders Die). It's a good idea but I wish they'd put a little more time into the effects than they did. It's honestly like a SyFy movie or first-season Power Rangers level of cheesy. There's still a lot to like about it but those effects really keep me from solidly recommending it to anyone. It's a remake of McKee/Sivertson's first film out of film school.

I also saw The Station which is an Austrian film that's in the vein of The Thing. It's a solid little creature feature that keeps things fairly light. There's aspects of it that could develop a little more but it works, for the most part. Interestingly, one of the most standout performances comes from the director's mom.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

Green Inferno is excellent, well, maybe not excellent, but certainly the best cannibal movie to drop in a while. It certainly pushes the envelope and updates a lot of cannibal movie tropes (no animal mutilation here) while seeming really authentic by using actual tribespeople and actually shooting the whole thing in the Amazon. Lorenza Izzo has the chops to be a great scream queen, especially after her turn in Aftershock last year.

Oh and Roth confirmed at the premiere last night that they're already working on a sequel, Beyond The Green Inferno. Really surreal to be at a screening of an Eli Roth world premiere with Alex Aja, Ti West, and Bobcat Goldthwait all in attendance.

e: Tonight I've got OCULUS, the second feature from ABSENTIA director MIke Flanagan. I'm a little burned out on supernatural poo poo but I liked Absentia a lot so I'm willing to give it a chance.

What fest are you at? Are they playing West's latest?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
My favorite thing about The Bay is that when they're explaining how the parasites came to be being due to run-off from the steroid pumped chicken, but also threw in nuclear waste just for good measure.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I still maintain The Bay would've been a shitload better if they would've just been subtle and let the audience connect the dots instead of writing their message on a billboard and bashing the audience's face into it repeatedly.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

JP Money posted:

I still maintain The Bay would've been a shitload better if they would've just been subtle and let the audience connect the dots instead of writing their message on a billboard and bashing the audience's face into it repeatedly.

Yeah this made me come to a point. SMG, you made a claim about The Bay...

The individual characters are stupid, and their actions meaningless. Police, journalists, doctors... no-one understands that the disaster is caused by systemic problems beyond the scope of any one person to control.

Could you talk a little about what role that places us as the audience in? We see the whole picture, or at least we're consistently led to believe that we are. There's so many expository dumps about the scientific and political/economic causes of the outbreak that we're placed in the opposite situation of the characters: they don't hear the whole story enough times to understand it, we hear it enough times that it's practically a rhythmic repetition. Is it as simple as "We the audience are the character, given a proper support structure"? Almost a call to action when seen in theaters, sort of a "You're all here in the same place, you've all been given the story, now accomplish what the characters in the film you just watched couldn't"?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

foodfight posted:

What fest are you at? Are they playing West's latest?

The Toronto fest. And yeah, Sacrament premiered tonight and one friend of mine said it was her favorite film of TIFF so far. I'm trying to avoid reading much about it because I'm seeing it Tuesday but I'm fuckin hyped.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I could not have been more wrong about OCULUS. This is far and away my favorite horror of the year so far. It's Paranormal Activity with the brains of loving Primer.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Hrrnnggghh Resolution is an amazing film. Resolution owns. I wanna get an effortpost about Resolution up tomorrow. Since it just recently hit Netflix, I should spoilerblock most of it right?

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.

Jonny Angel posted:

Hrrnnggghh Resolution is an amazing film. Resolution owns. I wanna get an effortpost about Resolution up tomorrow. Since it just recently hit Netflix, I should spoilerblock most of it right?

There's hardly anything to spoil. Resolution is the movie that happens when someone wants to make a movie about drug addiction but can only get funding for a horror movie and is pissed off about it. Also it loving rules-- this is some of my favorite dialogue from any movie, regardless of genre.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
"Hey, you know that cave I sent you to? There's a lot of homeless drug addicts in that cave. Don't go to that cave."

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Could anyone provide any suggestions for films like May, Teeth, and American Mary? I really like the shared structure of these films in which the horror is derived from the protagonist becoming something monstrous through their own actions and accord. I'm not really looking for movies in which the twist is that the hero was secretly the villain. I mean particularly an off-beat story about a normal person dealing with becoming a monster.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

Could anyone provide any suggestions for films like May, Teeth, and American Mary? I really like the shared structure of these films in which the horror is derived from the protagonist becoming something monstrous through their own actions and accord. I'm not really looking for movies in which the twist is that the hero was secretly the villain. I mean particularly an off-beat story about a normal person dealing with becoming a monster.

While it's not a movie and not exactly horror, Breaking Bad is all about this. Like, it's arguably one of the main themes of the show.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

Chronicle seems to be what you're looking for though it's not really horror.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

May's sister film, Roman, is excellent.

Ginger Snaps also sounds kinda like what you're looking for.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

Lovely Molly has some of these themes going on.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I didn't enjoy The Bay because it did too good of a job looking like an amateur conspiracy documentary on Youtube, and I hate those.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Add Excision to the list.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kramjacks posted:

I didn't enjoy The Bay because it did too good of a job looking like an amateur conspiracy documentary on Youtube, and I hate those.

I didn't like it because it felt like horror was a vehicle for saying something about a issue, rather than the issue being a scaffold for a good horror story. Also, yeah it does feel like a youtube conspiracy movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kramjacks posted:

I think that's why I liked it. I mean, while I do think the Illuminati youtube doc and Loose Change and Zeitgeist and everything is the stupidest poo poo imaginable, I'll take veteran director Barry Levinson trying to figure out the idiom he's working in rather than De Palma not caring and loving it up (see: Redacted).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 9, 2013

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I think that's why I liked it. I mean, while I do think the Illuminati youtube doc and Loose Change and Zeitgeist and everything is the stupidest poo poo imaginable, I'll take veteran director Barry Levinson trying to figure out the idiom he's working in rather than De Palma not caring and loving it up (see: Redacted).

Yeah I respect the movie because it did it so well, but the parts of it where it would go black and white and show the mayor drink a cup of water in slow motion while the narrator did a voice over were so perfectly done that I couldn't help but associate it with stuff like Loose Change. Maybe I need to watch it again and suppress my raging bias against its faux-underground documentary style.

Kramjacks fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 9, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't know what to call that kind of thing, a dramatic spoof? When they pull it off really well, I can't help but be amused by it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

I don't know what to call that kind of thing, a dramatic spoof? When they pull it off really well, I can't help but be amused by it.
Your take is interesting, but it just seems so ineffective. The truth is that the political position of the movie is a worthwhile one, but the Loose Change like presentation and the blind spots in the movie's plotting seem to diminish that message in the same way that the over-intrusive narrator diminishes the tension and horror.

Any thoughts on how see lice are actually something a lot of people know about with the tongue eating variety being an internet meme despite the CDC's need to contact a professor to find out about them?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The especially amusing thing is that Loose Change was created for entertainment (i.e. just some guy loving around) and 5 years later or whatever, there are still people who take it deadly seriously. The Bay started off as a documentary about the environmental consequences of industrial scale farming and turned into a horror movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kramjacks posted:

This is exactly how I felt about it. It did such a good job that I couldn't tell whether this was a good or a bad thing, but the awful acting did edge it slightly over the line into "bad thing".