Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was actually kind of wild. I have never had a defective apple product in my life before that. I just assumed it was some sort of user error until it became clear the pencil was defective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
btw there are Awful App OLED-centric black layouts you can use, and you probably should if you have a pro.

OLED turns off where there's true black, so you can gain a bunch of battery life (and contrast) by making sure the apps you're using have, I guess you would call it "black space".

Normally I wouldn't worry about it too much but with the battery reductions on the pro, and how bright the screen gets, you can save quite a bit of battery this way.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

brydge made a keyboard for earlier versions of the mini: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085Q61PGH/

lol I'm actually considering getting this thing because it is $30 now instead of $100 or whatever

It’s down to $30 because Brydge made an incredible amount of business mistakes.

https://9to5mac.com/2023/05/04/brydge-keyboards-out-of-business-update/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

veni veni veni posted:

It was actually kind of wild. I have never had a defective apple product in my life before that. I just assumed it was some sort of user error until it became clear the pencil was defective.

It happens. At work we'll get batches of hundreds of MacBooks and sometimes there's a couple that are just DOA.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I might have to go check MacRumors forums for an answer to this, but does anyone know if magnetic folio-style cases for the older 10.9”/11” iPad Pros will work with the new 11” iPad Pro? Specifically the Bullstrap case? They haven’t update their store page to say one way or another if it’s compatible.

https://bullstrap.co/products/leather-ipad-pro-case-sienna

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Does anyone else find themselves sitting the OLED on 100% brightness most of the time?

I was always a "low brightness" kinda guy when it came to the past ipads (I upgraded from an M1 pro 12.9). The searing backlight made it difficult to stare into at length, even at, say, 60% brightness or whatever, let alone anything near 100%. I probably averaged like 35% brightness overall. Anything more was too much strain, typically.

It felt similar when I got the M4, but after doing all of the OLED conversions (turning on dark and OLED modes on my apps and backgrounds) the overall eye strain is way, way down.

This could be due to the processor that controls the interaction between the OLED layers to achieve a balanced image. I've been noticing that it's really, really good at making sure things are appropriately bright. Even at full brightness, the ipad is showing you what feels like a much more "intentional" level of brightness than when you cranked the 12.9 miniLED to the max, which made you feel like you were stepping directly into the sun.

That ends up making the brightness knob feel more like a "vibrance" setting than a "crank max lumens" setting. And I like it way more, though i suspect based on testing that it may currently darken the HDR highlights in movies and show content a bit much. I suspect that they are still tweaking the top level functionality.

Anyways, my point is, something is going on here that is a lot more nuanced, which makes sense, because there is now a dedicated processor to handle the overall display presentation as it works to constantly balance the two overlapped displays.

To be clear, you need to dial in the ipad with OLED-friendly dark interfaces before this really becomes true, because it can still be too bright if you're constantly invoking all-white backgrounds and whatnot. iPadOS is very good at enforcing dark themes across apps though, so everything I use has a dark mode.

If you really dial it in, you can mostly just sit that bad boy at 100% brightness and it's such a good experience imo. I love this display so much, and I think Apple is doing something really interesting here that no one is really talking about.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’ve deleted and redownloads vinegar and still can’t watch YouTubes with it enabled. It’s just a black screen and audio from the ad playing. Still works on my iPhone though. Wish I could find out how to fix this.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Is the Apple Game Center thing supposed to carry saves in between games and devices? I can’t get unpacking to recognize my iPads saves from iPhone and vice versa. When I load the game it shows all the achievements I’ve unlocked but still makes me start a new game. Tried uninstalling / clearing all data…

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m a bit worried that my dumb rear end is going to accidentally chew on the Apple Pencil

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Unless you’re an eight month old puppy you should be fine.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Is the Apple Game Center thing supposed to carry saves in between games and devices? I can’t get unpacking to recognize my iPads saves from iPhone and vice versa. When I load the game it shows all the achievements I’ve unlocked but still makes me start a new game. Tried uninstalling / clearing all data…

game center is an amorphous blob of game-adjacent features that does not include cloud saves, that has to be supported by the game itself i believe

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

sleepwalkers posted:

game center is an amorphous blob of game-adjacent features that does not include cloud saves, that has to be supported by the game itself i believe

ya it’s a game centre icloud tie-in

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Game Center is such trash. I don't even know what it's for.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's from one of the many many times when Apple "Got Serious About Gaming"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am having a LOT of trouble adjusting to these dynamic volume buttons. Dear Ghost of Steve, please just let me revert them back to the way it's been done for the last 15 years.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Checked out the pro in store today. Not that thin.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Boris Galerkin posted:

It used to be that if you didn't login to GC, the toast would actually stop showing up when you launched a game.

One of the 17.X updates "broke" that and now you get the stupid GC toast covering up your screen every single time. :argh:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

sleepwalkers posted:

lol that’s insane. Love to spend $9 on a mobile game that can’t sync across apples latest most expensive devices.

Microsoft needs to license Xbox live and kill the Xbox console so it’s not a threat to competitors. No one else bothered to make a real online infrastructure it seems.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
honestly i don’t play mobile games much and at the moment don’t really have multiple ios devices but cloud saves have worked fine for me on the platform for years so it sounds like a dev issue imo

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mildly irked that at the moment Apple's own puzzles in News.app don't even sync status between different devices :|

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's definitely CRAPPLE's fault that the dev didn't use a free API in their game

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Is there a best practice to block ads on a browser? Something like just using AdGuard with Safari?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Professor Wayne posted:

Is there a best practice to block ads on a browser? Something like just using AdGuard with Safari?

yeah, a browser extension (I use adguard but wipr and a few others are popular) and a filtered dns server like pihole or nextdns

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I ponied up for adguard pro(dunno if that was dumb or not) and it seems good for browser stuff but the YouTube ad blocking ain’t so hot. It blocks ads but causes the videos to take 10 seconds to even start playing. Any recs for better YT ad blocking? I’m spoiled with ublock origin on browser where I just get to forget ads exist.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I bought a lifetime license for 1blocker. Seems to do a pretty good job.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

It's definitely CRAPPLE's fault that the dev didn't use a free API in their game

They could mandate it. They mandate a bunch of other poo poo, so why not that? :colbert:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’ve been enjoying Wipr for my browser ad blocker. No complaints and I don’t see a ton of ads, so mission accomplished?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Thanks for the recommendations, all! I'm trying adguard now and can tell a huge difference.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

OldSenileGuy posted:

Costco has the new M2 Air for $569 and the last generation M2 Pro for $650. Seems like with this small a price difference, the last gen Pro is the way to go? I don't really care about the updated pencil and the better screen seems worth the price difference to me. Anyone disagree?

OldSenileGuy posted:

Looks like I was too slow anyway. Went to my Costco today and they were sold out, and it's no longer listed on Costco's website, either. Ah well

I spent most of last week being bummed out for missing this deal and walked into a local Costco (Federal Way, WA) and they had it back. Just left the store with one. Your mileage may vary (at least locally, Lynnwood and Covington did not have this deal as of last week. Haven’t been there since to check).

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Is there a way to turn off the keyboard and dictation shortcut icons when the Magic Keyboard is attached? It seems a little redundant being there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXNsfb1vmL8

Ah yeah, this is almost EXACTLY what I wanted out of a case. I'm not wild about the kickstand for lap use, but just being able to flip the keyboard around or attach it backwards is the selling point here.

Logi says I can pre-order one and they ship on the 23rd so I guess the reviews are just influencer seeding at this point? Hope they have this in-store at the fruit stand or BestBuy in Canada so I can just pick one up this week.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Referee posted:

I spent most of last week being bummed out for missing this deal and walked into a local Costco (Federal Way, WA) and they had it back. Just left the store with one. Your mileage may vary (at least locally, Lynnwood and Covington did not have this deal as of last week. Haven’t been there since to check).

Thanks for the update, I'll check my warehouse again later this week!

Though I think I've talked myself into shelling out for the new 11" Pro. I have absolutely no need for that much power in an iPad, but with the M4 chip I probably won't need to buy a new iPad for like a decade, which is worth it to me.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Fairly sure my iPad pro has no Ms in it, is 4 years old and shows no signs of needing to be replaced for easily another six years. Maybe a battery replacement at some point. Honestly I'm surprised the battery still works at all, I've had it in some pretty frosty weather.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The General posted:

Fairly sure my iPad pro has no Ms in it, is 4 years old and shows no signs of needing to be replaced for easily another six years. Maybe a battery replacement at some point. Honestly I'm surprised the battery still works at all, I've had it in some pretty frosty weather.

Yup. I maintain that my 2020 was still a fantastic workhorse. I don't feel bad in the slightest about selling it to my buddy. They'll get years out of that thing.

I guess we'll see whether Apple starts to function-lock certain things behind the Ms in the upcoming round of OS updates, but as a daily use media consumption tablet I can't see the value diminishing.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

some kinda jackal posted:

Ah yeah, this is almost EXACTLY what I wanted out of a case. I'm not wild about the kickstand for lap use, but just being able to flip the keyboard around or attach it backwards is the selling point here.

Logi says I can pre-order one and they ship on the 23rd so I guess the reviews are just influencer seeding at this point? Hope they have this in-store at the fruit stand or BestBuy in Canada so I can just pick one up this week.

I've had this case on my m1 Air for over a year now and it's great. I've tried a lot of other keyboard cases including Apple's own Magic but none of them are as versatile. As you suspect, the kickstand isn't great for lap use while you're sitting in a chair, but it's great when you're lounging or sitting at any angle other than 90 because it allows for tons of adjustment. And the "flip the keyboard to make a tent" option is great, I use it all the time no matter where I'm using the iPad. The fact that the case powers off the iPad and doesn't need to be charged/connect via bluetooth is priceless.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

The General posted:

My iPad is the 10.5" Pro that I bought in 2018. It has an A10X Fusion chip, aka a beefy version of the chip in the iPhone 7. It is currently 6 years old and slow as poo poo. I thought maybe it was because it was a 64GB model and filled to the brim, but I did a deep cleaning, freed up about 20GB of space, and it's still slow as poo poo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beauty! Yeah, honestly NONE of the options are amazing for lap use. Even my beloved keyboard folio on my old 2020 was kind of.. clumsy in my lap. iPad would sit fine, but typing would make it jitter about.

My keyboard use case is typically when I need to type something quickly and it's too frustrating to jab at my screen with fingers for a minute. Flip out the keyboard, type what I need, then flip it back into tablet mode.

It looks like I can flip back the keyboard AND extend the kickstand to make a triangle base and hit the other major use for my old keyboard folio, so this will have my bases covered IMO.

Plus the ability to flip the keyboard upside down means it's not sitting keys down on a surface all the time. Feeling pretty great about this one.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

My iPad is the 10.5" Pro that I bought in 2018. It has an A10X Fusion chip, aka a beefy version of the chip in the iPhone 7. It is currently 6 years old and slow as poo poo. I thought maybe it was because it was a 64GB model and filled to the brim, but I did a deep cleaning, freed up about 20GB of space, and it's still slow as poo poo.

Apple probably throttling you to make you buy a new one.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

OldSenileGuy posted:

The iPad is throttling performance to make sure the power draw doesn't make the thing turn off. You *could* just get a battery replacement, assuming Apple still services that model.

As long as it has at least 4gb of Ram, it's still fine for any normal tasks you can throw at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

some kinda jackal posted:

I might have to look at a Combo for my new M2 11” Pro. I’ve been looking around since I bought it yesterday for some kind of sleeve or thin case that’s compatible with the Magic Keyboard and it looks like there’s two brands that keep popping up (Pitaka and SwitchEasy). Has anyone had experience with using either of those with a Magic Keyboard?

I’m not looking for a massive amount of protection here because I understand there’s a limited amount of room possible for it to still be compatible with the MK. Just wanted some kind of protection.