Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Liberal apologies are the best. He apologizes for making the comment. Not for thinking that syrians are just kind of culturally dependent on handouts but he's definitely sorry that he said something about it.

quote:

Immigration Minister John McCallum says his suggestion there’s a cultural element driving Syrian refugees to food banks was insensitive and he regrets it.

Food banks from Halifax to B.C. have reported serving hundreds of Syrians who have come to Canada since November, the month the Liberal government launched a major resettlement program to bring 25,000 people by the end of February and thousands more by the end of this year.

The question of why came up Wednesday at a Senate committee studying the refugee resettlement program and McCallum initially pinpointed two reasons: the fact refugees do not have high levels of income upon arrival, and something else.

“There may be a cultural element,” he said. “You have to remember the refugees are coming from an entirely different world."

“Our world is very different than their world. Sometimes they have been living in refugee camps; maybe it’s the norm to be offered meals. I’m not overly concerned about this.”

But later Wednesday McCallum met with reporters outside the House of Commons to take back those remarks.

“The remark I made about food banks I think was insensitive so I regret having made that comment,” he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
We should just let all member of parliament do whatever they want with no consequences. The ultimate cutting of red tape.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

We should just let all member of parliament do whatever they want with no consequences. The ultimate cutting of red tape.

Those are called senators

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

jm20 posted:

Those are called senators

honestly what's the difference

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

elected vs patronage, but I bet back benchers do pretty much the same thing, a whole lot of nothing

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Members of parliament have to worry about being caught if they take a bribe.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Ikantski posted:

Liberal apologies are the best. He apologizes for making the comment. Not for thinking that syrians are just kind of culturally dependent on handouts but he's definitely sorry that he said something about it.

drat refugees should be more like us Canadians; too proud to utilize social programs for the poor, even when we qualify.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

JVNO posted:

drat refugees should be more like us Canadians; too proud to utilize social programs for the poor, even when we qualify.

we are all middle class, no it doesn't matter that I have to work 3 jobs to make rent WE ARE MIDDLE CLASS

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

I do like Chris Phillips as a person but a mouthful of hops isn't my idea of a good time. Pretty sure Dominion City's the name of the place I was talking about, so now I have an excuse to go by there insteaoh god some savage microwaved fish sticks I am loving out

The black IPA is pretty good and not very hoppy at all.

doesn't remind me of fin du nonde though. Weird comparison.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Had a chat with my 91 year old grandmother today and she brought up the Trudeau incident, presumably after reading about it in the Toronto Star's headline article. Her take away was that the NDP were exagerating and that Trudeau probably had cause to be frustrated about the delays on voting for the bill. Then she wistfully said how she liked Trudeau, but she really liked Pierre (Trudeau).

So based on this informal poll of 1 I'd have to say that the thread consensus is about right: this is not an issue that is gonna garner much sympathy for the NDP. If anything the hint of violence aggressive physicality that Trudeau displayed will make people like him more.

Ikantski posted:

Honestly, the real take away I have from this is that our society is so insanely hosed up about poverty and poverty assistance that we somehow think it's offensive to acknowledge the obvious fact that people who have been living in refugee camps probably aren't on the verge of bootstrapping themselves into the middle class. I don't really get why his original comment should be seen as offensive rather than obvious.

Did people really think these Syrians were going to quickly integrate into society and that many of them wouldn't end up dependent on government relief? We're bringing them in as charity cases, why is anyone surprised that they're now drawing on Canada's welfare state? It's hosed up that we think it's offensive to correctly point out that people fleeing from war and devestation are taking free food from the country that just invited them.

I guess that his quote on the "cultural" difference could be seen as some kind of slur against the middle east but even so what I get from this story is that in the eyes of a lot of Canadians merely using a food bank is shameful for any extended period of time is shameful.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Ikantski posted:

Using a food bank is shameful and disgusting. It makes you look like a dirty renter, not an owner.

He should've said nothing at all and let Canadians shame Syrians for using a publicly available and hugely beneficial assistance program.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I recall a conversation I had last month with a friend, discussing potential leaders for the NDP. Niki Ashton's name floated up and I said that I wouldn't mind her as leader. As a personal guideline I'm always very favorable towards young talent and very willing to take chances on people, develop them. I'm disdainful of seniority as the be-all-end-all criteria for advancement. All else equal I'd prefer a younger leader who can grow into the position, push the party forward, and bring vitality and energy. And on top of that she seemed to be pretty clear-headed about social and economic issues.

Then this happened:

Niki Ashton posted:

"I want to say that for all of us who witnessed this, this was deeply traumatic," she said to her House of Commons colleagues. "What I will say, if we apply a gendered lens, it is very important that young women in this space feel safe to come here and work here."

"He made us feel unsafe and we're deeply troubled by the conduct of the prime minister of this country."

To blatantly exploit the language of progressivism to attack opponents, gain power, or raise social stature, that's honestly nothing new and it's been something that's been happening a lot the last few years. But to see it from an actual elected official, when we have direct video evidence otherwise? Even Hillary Clinton has more restraint than that.

What Ashton said is not only silly, it casts any and all future accusations from her and her colleagues in a very poor light. It delegitimizes actual concerns and problems when they do happen. I don't want people like this anywhere near NDP leadership.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hahaha that such a loving stupid statement from ashton

gently caress all y'all who voted ndp

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Helsing posted:

So based on this informal poll of 1 I'd have to say that the thread consensus is about right: this is not an issue that is gonna garner much sympathy for the NDP. If anything the hint of violence aggressive physicality that Trudeau displayed will make people like him more.

They probably could have gotten a small win out of it if they handled it just about any way other than the way they did.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Man, what loving happened to the NDP?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I, for one, think it's great that the federal NDP is cribbing the BC NDP playbook of being whiny bitches rather than making any attempt to form a coherent answer to the problems we are facing and look forward to their continued slide into the flaming dumpster of history.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hahaha that such a loving stupid statement from ashton

gently caress all y'all who voted ndp

Peter Julian is a fantastic rep for my riding and I voted based on that :colbert: This is a serious misstep though.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/marijuana-teens-brains-research-1.3559448

quote:

Marijuana research not reaching Canada's toking teens
Experts admit they still have lots to learn but say pot isn't harmless like most teens believe

For nearly a century, Canadian pot enthusiasts haven't let the law stop them from smoking, vaping and eating their favourite drug.

But with an end to prohibition in sight, researchers say we still have plenty to learn about the drug's potential health effects — and that's especially true for Canada's many toking teenagers.

UNICEF reports Canadian teens are among the heaviest pot users in the world. More than 22% reported lighting up within the previous year.

And yet the impact of long-term use on adolescent brains is clouded by hazy research and confused by decades of ineffective public health messages.

The pot prohibition effectively stifled studies of the drug. Clinical trials weren't allowed and in all but a few cases, long-term studies on what happens to marijuana users were impossible. As a result, both supporters and detractors have tended to cherry-pick the conclusions that reinforce their existing views.

In its latest report, the Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse (CCSA) summed up the problem: High frequency use in adolescents is associated with several poor outcomes, including lower academic achievement and loss of motivation, but most teens continue to believe marijuana is harmless.

"I smoked weed all through university and I was on the dean's list the entire time," says Samantha Martinuk, a 24 year-old who puffed away in a bikini top on Vancouver's Sunset beach during the city's recent 4/20 rally.

"It didn't turn me into a dead-brained person, like most people say."

The annual event on April 20 has seen its focus shift from a prohibition protest to a celebration of marijuana culture that features thousands of B.C. teenagers who skip school to get stoned in public. Many of them who spoke to CBC News claimed they smoke several grams of marijuana every day.

But exactly what kind of impact could that much marijuana use have on a young person's brain? Canadian substance abuse experts admit they're not much closer to answering that crucial question than they were a decade ago.

What they do agree on is THC, marijuana's psychoactive ingredient, can play havoc with a developing brain as it tries to reach optimal performance.

Researchers say higher order functions, such as cognition, academic achievement and motivation, can all be compromised. But whether the damage is temporary or reversible is still unknown.

The CCSA cites studies that claim one in six Canadian teens who use marijuana can become dependent on the drug.

Matt Ciolo of Toronto counts himself in that unfortunate club.

"I wish I never started, to be honest," says the 25-year-old, who once dreamed about a career as a golf teaching pro.

"It totally ruined my character. I don't believe in myself anymore."

A gifted golfer as a teen, Ciolo says his motivation faded as his obsession with marijuana grew.

"All my drive went out the window. All I wanted to do was be in bed and smoke weed."

He says based on his experience, marijuana's greatest harm might be that it distracts young users from more important things in life.

"You're not unlocking your true potential. It dumbs you down. It's not unlocking your mind."

Smart messaging

"The experts would agree that pot is not harmless," says Joy Johnson, vice-president of research at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, B.C., and a health sciences professor who has studied why teens use marijuana.

Beyond that, she says frequency of use, potency of the pot and how marijuana is used in conjunction with other drugs make it difficult to generalize about the possible health effects.

Considering the federal government plans to legalize marijuana for recreational use, "there is still a lot we don't know," Johnson says.

"We're going to have to get on top of this issue in a better way."

But that's unlikely to happen in the next year, which is the time frame announced by the federal health minister to introduce a bill to legalize marijuana.

Johnson says the priority in the meantime should be developing smart public health messages and education for teens until science catches up.

She says scare tactics or "denigrating" marijuana users — staples of past public education campaigns — have proven ineffective.

"We all need to get educated about marijuana in a balanced way. I don't think it's saying it's harmless or harmful. It's about knowing the facts and being willing to have that conversation with teens in life."

For the warriors of the legalization movement, squashing the perception of marijuana as harmful represents the final battle in a long fight.

"We have to address this myth of inherent harm to young people, and unless we address that issue, we're going to get stuck with a crappy version of legalization," says David Malmo-Levine, who took his fight against the criminalization of marijuana all the way to the Supreme Court.

His lawyers tried to convince the justices that prohibiting marijuana use violates his charter right to liberty, but they voted 6-3 against him.

Doctors advised kids and cannabis don't mix
Panel probes marijuana myths, effects on teens
Malmo-Levine, who owns a Vancouver marijuana dispensary, says the biggest potential consequence of marijuana use for teens is running into trouble with the law and earning a criminal record. That's why he says the fewer restrictions, the better.

"In 2002, [the Senate] released a report that recommended 16 years old as an age limit for cannabis and teen use," he says.

"I'd say that would be OK too."

The grade 11 and 12 students on the beach for 4/20 in Vancouver would probably raise a bong to that.

oh noooo stoners your unfettered access to weed may hit a roadblock :(

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/marijuana-teens-brains-research-1.3559448

oh noooo stoners your unfettered access to weed may hit a roadblock :(

quote:

"I wish I never started, to be honest," says the 25-year-old, who once dreamed about a career as a golf teaching pro.

"It totally ruined my character. I don't believe in myself anymore."

A gifted golfer as a teen, Ciolo says his motivation faded as his obsession with marijuana grew.

"All my drive went out the window. All I wanted to do was be in bed and smoke weed."

He says based on his experience, marijuana's greatest harm might be that it distracts young users from more important things in life.

"You're not unlocking your true potential. It dumbs you down. It's not unlocking your mind."

Truly it's societies loss that this man never fulfilled his potential.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Hahahaha, as if life isn't meaningless.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/kady/status/733298271645532160
https://twitter.com/GeorgeNDP/status/733298795350495233

oh my god

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Le Saboteur posted:

Man, what loving happened to the NDP?

This has always been what the NDP is like, or at least it's been this way for several decades more or less.

Structurally speaking the NDP has historically been the party of activists and unionists (or at least it's tried to be) and for reasons I've described in tedious detail I think that makes the NDP the most likely vehicle for social democratic reforms (which is, after all, how we got health insurance and lots of other nice little crumbs tossed at us by the Canadian state). But the less you look at the NDP's structural role in the electoral system and the more you actually take a hard look at who runs the party and what the internal culture is like, the more depressing it becomes.

Just think of all the major recent NDP races. The last federal election, the most recent provincial elections in Ontario and BC, Olivia Chow's bid to be mayor. Tone deafness and bad politicking are second nature to the NDP. I wouldn't advise getting emotionally invested in their success unless you have a high tolerance for disappointment.

Brannock posted:

I recall a conversation I had last month with a friend, discussing potential leaders for the NDP. Niki Ashton's name floated up and I said that I wouldn't mind her as leader. As a personal guideline I'm always very favorable towards young talent and very willing to take chances on people, develop them. I'm disdainful of seniority as the be-all-end-all criteria for advancement. All else equal I'd prefer a younger leader who can grow into the position, push the party forward, and bring vitality and energy. And on top of that she seemed to be pretty clear-headed about social and economic issues.

Then this happened:

To blatantly exploit the language of progressivism to attack opponents, gain power, or raise social stature, that's honestly nothing new and it's been something that's been happening a lot the last few years. But to see it from an actual elected official, when we have direct video evidence otherwise? Even Hillary Clinton has more restraint than that.

What Ashton said is not only silly, it casts any and all future accusations from her and her colleagues in a very poor light. It delegitimizes actual concerns and problems when they do happen. I don't want people like this anywhere near NDP leadership.

I've had a similar take away from all this, except that I wouldn't necessarily assume that this is some Machiavellian power play on her part, she probably is being genuine. It doesn't make the comment sound any less shrill nor does it exactly advertise her as a great leadership candidate but it's likely sincere.

This is going to be a really depressing NDP leadership election. We've got 15 months to see exactly how lackluster the NDP's bench is. As good as it was that they booted Mulcair there's no obvious choice to replace him. For that matter, it's really not clear how the NDP can break its bad habits. After watching the same terrible flailing campaign strategy implode so many different NDP races I am starting to wonder if they are even capable of running a different kind of campaign than the one we've been seeing since the early 2000s.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

So if Libs are gonna Lib, what do NDP do?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

Honestly, the real take away I have from this is that our society is so insanely hosed up about poverty and poverty assistance that we somehow think it's offensive to acknowledge the obvious fact that people who have been living in refugee camps probably aren't on the verge of bootstrapping themselves into the middle class. I don't really get why his original comment should be seen as offensive rather than obvious.

Did people really think these Syrians were going to quickly integrate into society and that many of them wouldn't end up dependent on government relief? We're bringing them in as charity cases, why is anyone surprised that they're now drawing on Canada's welfare state? It's hosed up that we think it's offensive to correctly point out that people fleeing from war and devestation are taking free food from the country that just invited them.

I guess that his quote on the "cultural" difference could be seen as some kind of slur against the middle east but even so what I get from this story is that in the eyes of a lot of Canadians merely using a food bank is shameful for any extended period of time is shameful.

The keyword to the whole schmozzle is "cultural". There's no unoffensive way to say a certain culture is more likely to depend on foodbanks.

I read it as the opposition asking about the food bank usage because it implies the feds are dropping the ball on supporting these refugees, they made a stupid unaffordable campaign promise and are now downloading the cost of feeding them onto municipal charities.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Amgard posted:

"Dippers gonna Dip"

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Amgard posted:

I'm gonna go for the low-hanging fruit and say that dippers gonna dip

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

You're gonna have to be a bit faster than that if you wanna clutch the low hanging fruit in this thread.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
NDP should field a soccer team.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Helsing posted:

"Dippers gonna Dip"

:golfclap:

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Justin Trudeau has just proposed a new Canadian national anthem on the floor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc1lu-WU3hI

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, good news, Motion 6 has been withdrawn. Will c-14 debate be finished before the SCC deadline?

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/stephenlautens/status/733314653065895937

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 19, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The end result of this whole debacle will be that the next time an NDP member gets sexually harassed no one will believe them because the NDP cried wolf over Trudeau giving one of them a shove.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Helsing posted:

"Dippers gonna Dip"
rudderless leadership
when i dip you dip we dip

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Perhaps I'm just cynical but I feel as though any accusation of harassment that wasn't caught on camera or that didn't immediately lead to a report being filed with the police would probably divide most people along party lines. That's not to say the NDP isn't acting stupidly but I can't really imagine a situation with any degree of ambiguity not causing Canadians to divide along partisan lines.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Helsing posted:

Perhaps I'm just cynical but I feel as though any accusation of harassment that wasn't caught on camera or that didn't immediately lead to a report being filed with the police would probably divide most people along party lines.

Didn't this literally already happen? I don't remember how people reacted to the NDP alleging that Liberal MPs harassed some of theirs (though I remember that Trudeau suspended the MPs in question), was it believed mostly along partisan lines?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Liberals threw their MPs under the bus. So I don't think that broke down along party lines. Support or disagreement with how Trudeau handled it was largely along party lines.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The thing about Canada is that because we have more than two parties, whenever something divides along partisan lines 60% of the country hates whoever did a bad thing instead of just 50%. That's why we're all so spiteful all the time.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

As I recall it Trudeau supposedly tossing those Liberal MPs under the bus without giving them "due process" was repeatedly cited as an example of his bad leadership during that brief and now forgotten period when his party dipped to third place in the polls and everyone started to think choosing him was a disaster. It probably would have been politically safer for him to have done nothing. Not that it mattered because as we learned whatever electoral liabilities Trudeau had weren't enough to distract people from what a terrible campaign Mulcair decided to run.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vyelkin posted:

The end result of this whole debacle will be that the next time an NDP member gets sexually harassed no one will believe them because the NDP cried wolf over Trudeau giving one of them a shove.

This is a risk. There are actual instances of deplorable violence, sexual and otherwise, which happen to people of any profession. To treat this as a similar thing is dangerous. An apology was in order, just as if I accidentally knocked into you on the street; Trudeau has apologized more than enough, it needs to be done, and any attempts to make a mountain out of a molehill are counterproductive for a lot of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/733379465519173634