Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

have they made a really fun movie i'm not aware of? i recall some soulless husk resembling star wars dropping into theaters last december but i'm not really "plugged in" to the latest releases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Homework Explainer posted:

have they made a really fun movie i'm not aware of? i recall some soulless husk resembling star wars dropping into theaters last december but i'm not really "plugged in" to the latest releases

You must've walked into the wrong theater; The Force Awakens was neither soulless nor a husk.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Look at us watching The Force Awakens, having fun -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> :dance:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Serf posted:

Yeah, I don't see the problem with it. Here's hoping I can go see a fun Star Wars movie once a year until the day I drop dead.

I am thinking it will be a fun Star Wars movie every other year, along with the occasional good episode in the alternating-year Ongoing Saga.

They're gonna have problems if Jyn Erso ends up being popular, because then they have a potential money-maker in the wrong continuity. But then they could carbon-freeze her, I guess, and have her wake up a very slightly less-long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It averages out to one good Star Wars movie every 6.66 years, and I'm ok with that.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 7, 2016

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

I just readjusted my glasses so hard that a sonic boom destroyed my room

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I hope Episode 8 reveals that Rey actually failed hard in TFA when Luke chastises her for giving in to hate when she lost her poo poo on Kylo. You can almost hear Sheev cackling with glee at her murderous rage.

In the OT, Luke (and Obi-Wan) achieve victory only by being in control of themselves and their emotions, not by being MAD SKILLED with light sabers. The prequels totally forgot about that and turned everything into Ninja Laser Sword Superhero Brawl. But "this will begin to make things right."

Rey was definitely too conveniently perfect in TFA, but I think there's an arc still possible. She has much to learn.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

jivjov posted:

You must've walked into the wrong theater; The Force Awakens was neither soulless nor a husk.

oh ok then

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It averages out to one good Star Wars movie movie every 6.66 years, and I'm ok with that.

I didn't do the math but I think you're implying the prequels were something better than utter dogshit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's funny watching people force themselves to hate this movie or really anything at all for that matter.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

High Lord Elbow posted:

I hope Episode 8 reveals that Rey actually failed hard in TFA when Luke chastises her for giving in to hate when she lost her poo poo on Kylo. You can almost hear Sheev cackling with glee at her murderous rage.

I do want to see that followed up on. There's this odd mix of her listening to the Force and also going into full beatdown mode. Hopefully that's significant.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Okay that was 2033 Star Wars. Very nice hints for the next movie. Can't wait to see where they're going with this."

jivjov posted:

It managed to utterly demystify Star Wars. It finally finished the job the EU started. Now we know exactly that "more Star Wars" is just that: the same motifs, props, and plot beats repeated and stretched out into identify. Rogue One looks like it'll be competent, just like The Force Awakens - they will all be competent because this scheme does not allow for failure. It's the perfect line assembly.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 7, 2016

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

I said come in! posted:

It's funny watching people force themselves to hate this movie or really anything at all for that matter.

it's true, people who disagree with you don't do so in good faith, no one but you arrives at the opinions they have independently

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Okay that was 2033 Star Wars. Very nice hints for the next movie. Can't wait to see where they're going with this."

It managed to utterly demystify Star Wars. It finally finished the job the EU started.

You seem to want everything to be completely self contained and for there to never be plot threads and sequels ever. I have some bad news for you; the primary inspiration for Star Wars are old serialized stories.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
It's just opinions guys, you need to chill about Star Wars

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It managed to utterly demystify Star Wars. It finally finished the job the EU started.

Sure you're not getting EP7 mixed up with the prequels...?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Who gives a poo poo about canon anyways. The Lucas Story Group guy put it best.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/713056528253595649
You realize he's not saying "gently caress canon", right?

If someone has an "Amazing Story" that actually reveals that Luke and Leia are in fact Obi-Wan's kids, the Story Group is not going to say, "Yeah, go hog wild!"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

High Lord Elbow posted:

In the OT, Luke (and Obi-Wan) achieve victory only by being in control of themselves and their emotions, not by being MAD SKILLED with light sabers. The prequels totally forgot about that and turned everything into Ninja Laser Sword Superhero Brawl. But "this will begin to make things right."

Rey was definitely too conveniently perfect in TFA, but I think there's an arc still possible. She has much to learn.

Wasn't that obviously going to be the arc what with Snoke literally saying during the fight "Kill him".

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

High Lord Elbow posted:

The prequels totally forgot about that

No, they didn't.

High Lord Elbow posted:

and turned everything into Ninja Laser Sword Superhero Brawl

Yes, they did.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 7, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The prequels subtract the videogame stuff from the force, and leave the pure spirit. They are more powerful religious statements, not less.

Episode 7 is entirely videogame stuff.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

You seem to want everything to be completely self contained and for there to never be plot threads and sequels ever.

You're defining "sequel" as "repetition". Competent sequel-writing adds to a story. Incompetent sequel-writing doesn't. TFA is a competent movie, but it adds ultimately nothing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TFA is a competent movie, but it adds ultimately nothing.

You didn't pay attention then.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

You're defining "sequel" as "repetition". Competent sequel-writing adds to a story. Incompetent sequel-writing doesn't. TFA is a competent movie, but it adds ultimately nothing.

I define sequel as "story that comes after a previous story", and TFA added plenty.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

I define sequel as "story that comes after a previous story", and TFA added plenty.

Reusing elements and giving new names to pre-existing concepts isn't adding to a story.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It saddens me that people in this thread have managed to convince themselves that TFA is bad, this teaser is anything but loving thrilling and the prequels are good. It was a joke years ago that has turned into a real belief somehow.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kiimo posted:

It saddens me that people in this thread have managed to convince themselves that TFA is bad

TFA is an entertaining movie. Rogue One will also undoubtedly be entertaining. So will EP VIII, EP IX, the movies between them, the second sequel trilogy, etc.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

The second image looks like the base of the radar tower in the four image. I bet that's where they transmit the plans to Princess Leia's ship.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

kiimo posted:

It saddens me that people in this thread have managed to convince themselves that TFA is bad, this teaser is anything but loving thrilling and the prequels are good. It was a joke years ago that has turned into a real belief somehow.

well poo poo, people have different opinions i guess? There's some holes in TFA for sure.
New teaser looks neat, I have big hopes for it, with a cast and director like that

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

adding to a story.

What is "adding to a story"?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Imperial Walkers and palm trees. I like it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
From the rebels thread, light season 2 spoilers in the Kallus video:

drunkill posted:

So, the first lines of the trailer, presumably by some Imperial person who is detaining/interviewing Jyn Erso (lead actress) sounds an awful lot like Agent Kallus... Cameo anyone? It'd be really cool if that were the case, although the voice actor for Kallus is black so it'd have to be lipsynching, or someone else impersonating, hence it being the not quite the same voice.

Kallus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiHXZl3pqj8
Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wji-BZ0oCwg
Could just be a coincidence. Agent Kallus is an Imperial Security Bureau officer, so it'd make sense for an interrogation.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

kiimo posted:

Imperial Walkers and palm trees. I like it.

It is the biome of the planet Both

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
how can everyone look so cool in this movie

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

kiimo posted:

it's possible for a movie to be proficient, even thrilling, while at the same time holding no phenomelogical value and ultimately functioning as high-gloss white noise

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

cargohills posted:

What is "adding to a story"?

Including or exploring an element that was not present or fleshed out before.

Like how Empire Strikes Back complicates the simplistic Good Guys vs Bad Guys story of ANH.

The Prequel Trilogy revolves around the Senate, which was never present in the OT.

The Odyssey turns the war epic of Iliad into an exciting and mournful adventure.

Go Set A Watchman turns up the moral universe of To Kill A Mockingbird upside down.

Terminator II has a heroic terminator etc

it's possible for a movie to be proficient, even thrilling, while at the same time holding no phenomelogical value and ultimately functioning as high-gloss white noise

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

drunkill posted:

From the rebels thread, light season 2 spoilers in the Kallus video:

Could just be a coincidence. Agent Kallus is an Imperial Security Bureau officer, so it'd make sense for an interrogation.

I did think it sounded like him but why they think Agent Mullet or any of the other ineffectual villains from the show are worth a cameo is beyond me

e: I guess the episode where him and the cat got stuck on a planet was okay

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 7, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Reusing elements and giving new names to pre-existing concepts isn't adding to a story.

Good thing TFA did more than that, then.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The prequels subtract the videogame stuff from the force, and leave the pure spirit. They are more powerful religious statements, not less.

Episode 7 is entirely videogame stuff.

Wut

the prequels full of jedis super running & jumping & force pushing robits around and literally boiling the force down to a power level esque number? the force is used for more insignificant, mindless battle in the prequels than any of the other movies.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I like bothans in the EU because they're all huge assholes from what I remember and I hope they show up in a movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havelock Ellis
Oct 21, 2010

Yes...hmmm.
I'm just gonna say again that Donnie Yen as Space Zatoichi is cool and v. Lucas. Gareth Edwards is also good, this will be a good film.

• Locked thread