Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

9 years? already happened to me on 2 devices. I'm using PS4 controllers now because xbone ports break way to easy.

Even before they break they get loose and they'll disconnect and re-connect mid-game which fucks up Windows big time. .

Stop playing games by swinging sledgehammers against the charging port of your controller, ape-man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

HAT FETISH posted:

Thanks for the comparison photo, I think this might actually be the best one of its kind full stop :v: Seriously, I haven't had much luck finding detailed shots of the DS4 proto.

Triggers certainly got a lot better by the time they finalised the design, I can't imagine playing PS4 games with squishy PS3 style L2/R2 buttons.

I've been meaning to do a full side by side teardown but too busy with work :/

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I am really liking the SNES Classic after the Hakachi mod was released. Unlike the NES Classic where it super easy to put all the games for the system on it, I am treating the SNES Classic as more of a companion to the SD2SNES I have, as it can generally run all the games it can't while it's rewind/save state function is great for SNES games without battery backup, as it makes it easy to finish those games.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Sigh I really hope SNES Classic gets more stock. I want one bad

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I really want a SFC Classic. I'll probably wait until Amazon.jp gets more in stock.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Rirse posted:

I am really liking the SNES Classic after the Hakachi mod was released. Unlike the NES Classic where it super easy to put all the games for the system on it, I am treating the SNES Classic as more of a companion to the SD2SNES I have, as it can generally run all the games it can't while it's rewind/save state function is great for SNES games without battery backup, as it makes it easy to finish those games.

This is seriously the only reason I want one, at least until someone figures out how to get the remaining chips to work on the flash cart.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

fishmech posted:

Stop playing games by swinging sledgehammers against the charging port of your controller, ape-man.

How the hell else are you supposed to play Donkey Kong: Swingin' Slam?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sir Tonk posted:

This is seriously the only reason I want one, at least until someone figures out how to get the remaining chips to work on the flash cart.

We already know how, the problem is we can't yet do it without making new flashcards that would cost an additional $200 on top of the current prices to cover the costs...

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.marseilleinc.com/mcable-gaming-edition/

MyLifeInGaming is going to be doing some testing with these cables when they release their video on 4K retro gaming pretty soon. I'm real curious to see how they look, but drat sure ain't paying over $100 for an HDMI cable.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.marseilleinc.com/mcable-gaming-edition/

MyLifeInGaming is going to be doing some testing with these cables when they release their video on 4K retro gaming pretty soon. I'm real curious to see how they look, but drat sure ain't paying over $100 for an HDMI cable.

Ooh perfect! My boss asked me about these the other day but I didn't have much info so I couldn't help much. Can't wait to see how they work.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
here's something... unique

https://houston.craigslist.org/vgm/d/will-trade-sport-title-ps2/6337566648.html

timg for :chloe:

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

worthless. posted:

Ooh perfect! My boss asked me about these the other day but I didn't have much info so I couldn't help much. Can't wait to see how they work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjJzibFTaqA

This is mostly focused on modern gaming but they do use it with an Analogue NT at one point.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I wanted to hook up my TG 16 and seem to be missing the power cable for the CD part, which wraps around the turbo like a gross parasite but lets you use composite instead of RF. It's 11v center pole negative but the barrel seems to be the wrong size on everything I've tried. Anyone know a label maker or whatever wall wart that will work?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

moller posted:

I wanted to hook up my TG 16 and seem to be missing the power cable for the CD part, which wraps around the turbo like a gross parasite but lets you use composite instead of RF. It's 11v center pole negative but the barrel seems to be the wrong size on everything I've tried. Anyone know a label maker or whatever wall wart that will work?

I would have said "take it to radio shack and try adapter plugs until one fits" but you can't really go to a radio shack anymore..

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/917158776112799744

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

fishmech posted:

I would have said "take it to radio shack and try adapter plugs until one fits" but you can't really go to a radio shack anymore..

Even if you could, all they could do is sell you a cell phone contract.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Are PS2 Slim adapters that look like this legit? I lost mine and need to buy another one. Losing power bricks is kind of a theme with me.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Casimir Radon posted:

Are PS2 Slim adapters that look like this legit? I lost mine and need to buy another one. Losing power bricks is kind of a theme with me.

Yes, it's actually a Sony power brick that was also used with laptops and other Sony consumer electronics, but which provided correct output for the PS2 Slim. It's a convenient thing Sony did back then.

Similarly the PSP power supply could be replaced by chargers for Sony digital cameras for quite a while.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Get a 90001 and you don't need a brick :getin:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

fishmech posted:

Yes, it's actually a Sony power brick that was also used with laptops and other Sony consumer electronics, but which provided correct output for the PS2 Slim. It's a convenient thing Sony did back then.

Similarly the PSP power supply could be replaced by chargers for Sony digital cameras for quite a while.
Thanks. I'll also need to figure out what kind of cable goes into the Sega Trio brick. I'll have grab a picture of the plug hole later.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

The Milkman posted:

Get a 90001 and you don't need a brick :getin:

But don't get one with Date Code 8C or later, because they have a revised BIOS (v2.30) that blocks Free MC Boot.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjJzibFTaqA

This is mostly focused on modern gaming but they do use it with an Analogue NT at one point.

I know some of us spend stupid amounts of :retrogames: in this thread. But please don't buy a 150 dollar HDMI cable.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

moller posted:

I know this fits the Japanese one for a fact. I don't have the American TG 16, but the polarity is right.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DTI9CJ4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

moller posted:

azurite posted:

I know this fits the Japanese one for a fact. I don't have the American TG 16, but the polarity is right.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DTI9CJ4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's probably safe to assume that you can never assume anything about Japanese TG16/PC Engine stuff applying to American TG16 stuff and vice versa.

Anyhow, since I don't have any US TG16 stuff, moller should take these recommendations with that in mind and weight their merit accordingly:

https://console5.com/store/dc-power-adaptor-set-convert-a-standard-power-supply-to-6-different-plugs.html
https://console5.com/store/dc-2-pin-interchangeable-dc-plug-atari-5200-intv-ii-tg16-cd-dock-twin-famicom.html
https://en.retrogamesupply.com/products/power-supply-for-nec-turbografx-16-cd-rom-dock

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
I gave a five minute talk about "retro gaming in 2017" to my coding bootcamp classmates a few months ago. If any of you need to explain the ins and outs of this hobby/obsession to the uninitiated, this slideshow I made might be a decent place to start.

I don't think any of this will be new info to anyone in this thread. Feel free to liven up your next party with a goony presentation.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

plasticbugs posted:

I gave a five minute talk about "retro gaming in 2017" to my coding bootcamp classmates a few months ago. If any of you need to explain the ins and outs of this hobby/obsession to the uninitiated, this slideshow I made might be a decent place to start.

I don't think any of this will be new info to anyone in this thread. Feel free to liven up your next party with a goony presentation.

Good use of that Ryan Davis gif. One of my favorites.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I like how every second slide has an image of someone burning or otherwise mishandling money

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

plasticbugs posted:

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
It should be a surprise to no one that nearly all this info and the money burning humor came from this thread, so thank you all for this crippling addiction.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Good use of that Ryan Davis gif. One of my favorites.

I should have embedded the audio... rip Ryan.

plasticbugs fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 10, 2017

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Hell yeah I ate a Nintendo character

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
??? Birdo ???

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Did you wash it down with some soda popinski?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

This is what the Sega Trio plug looks like. Can anyone point me to an OEM cable?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Casimir Radon posted:

This is what the Sega Trio plug looks like. Can anyone point me to an OEM cable?

any two prong cable that looks like that

like your ps2 or dreamcast power cable should work

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Phone posted:

any two prong cable that looks like that

like your ps2 or dreamcast power cable should work
I don't have any that fit. The one that came with it got off to who knows where.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA98C3RC6106

i'm surprised that this thread still hasn't learned of the existence of digikey or whatever

Phone fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 10, 2017

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Casimir Radon posted:

I think that is more a generic shape. And without looking, maybe PS1 is round on both sides like that. And even laptop power supplies may work, ones that break away at the middle.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Mak0rz posted:

Did you wash it down with some soda popinski?

You did it. You got the joke. I'm so thrilled.

Goddamn it Nintendo please release both Arcade Punch-Out!! games so I can fight Vodka Drunkenski at home.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Casimir Radon posted:

If you cant find one you can use any cord from a PS1 PS2 and just carve it down with a knife to make it fit. It is AC it does not really care how it goes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Casimir Radon posted:

Pretty much every shaver I've ever owned, cheap stereo equipment, etc. A thrift store should have dozens of those cables.

Edit: Apparently it's a C7 (non-polarized). I always called 'em figure 8s.

moller fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 10, 2017

• Locked thread