Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hestia's in this? I love Hestia! Yay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omobono posted:

Two runs in, first impressions:

1) It's Hades, but TWO :woop:
2) Melinoe has way better offensive options and damage output than her brother right out of the gate;
3) In comparison though Zagreus is a tank. How much HP do centaur hearts give this game? I wasn't paying attention but no way it's still 25;
3bis) Melinoe is extremely fragile and I'm fairly sure enemies have higher DPS than equivalent biome enemies from 1;
4) MP regen of any kind is gonna be vital with how powerful the omegas are;
5) More Skelly Captain Skelemeus. The shades going O_O in the training arena is an awesome touch;
6) Hestia is cool, grandma's boons still got no metaphorical chill (while their chill status effect got upgraded to freeze);
7) Why you gotta taunt us with fishes but no rod (yet) why.

Mel is about as tanky as her brother but unlike him she has a cooldown between dodges so you can't just mash dodge 24/7. You have to time it better and rely on Sprint for rapid movement instead of dodgespam. On the other hand Cast is an on-demand incredibly powerful slow/hold for free so she is more than capable of handling large crowds without dodging.

Once you get your First arcana as well she gains a looooot of 'free' time, especially using the second weapon.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That ain't tanking, that's not getting hit in the first place*. I was referring to how much Zagreus can take directly to the chin without keeling over.
I've won completely botched sloppy slugfests final fights against dad in 1 because when you roll in with 400 HP and all death defiances even if you suddenly forget how to properly time your dashes and get hit by half of everything you'll still walk out of that fight with 30 HP and one DD left.
(Super Saiyan dad fight not included in this assessment)

*Also colloquially referred to as dodge-tanking, I know

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I mean, yeah. Zag at his most powered up is going to be tankier than the character at the very start of the sequel lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omobono posted:

That ain't tanking, that's not getting hit in the first place*. I was referring to how much Zagreus can take directly to the chin without keeling over.
I've won completely botched sloppy slugfests final fights against dad in 1 because when you roll in with 400 HP and all death defiances even if you suddenly forget how to properly time your dashes and get hit by half of everything you'll still walk out of that fight with 30 HP and one DD left.
(Super Saiyan dad fight not included in this assessment)

*Also colloquially referred to as dodge-tanking, I know

Oh, if you mean in general, Mel gets a lot tankier once you start getting Arcana and upgrades going, especially once you start getting some Hexes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Y'all makin' me wanna buy this game in EA...

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Hades II posted:

It already includes more environments, foes, and fully-voiced characters than the full version of the original game

Dang that’s crazy, right? Seems like a ton of content already

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I figure for balance I should probably mention some of my criticisms of the EA:

Weapon Balance: Weapon Balance does need more passes. Some weapons just feel way better than others. Aspects can help a little with this.
The Tool System: Just don't like it. Having to pick a tool to farm with feels crappy. I get the idea of trying to encourage you to swap for different playthroughs but every time I see a fishing pond and can't fish because I brought the pickaxe it feels bad.
Overimportance on mana regen: Mana regen is so immensely critical that you have to take it regardless of cost or feel immensely gimped. Especially once Hexes come into play you're actively penalized for trying to do a relatively low mana build.
Crossroads: The home base doesn't feel as fun as the Hades 1 one. They've already said this is something they're fleshing out so hopefully that helps, but for the moment it just feels a bit lacking.
Dora: There is simply not enough Dora. She needs to be louder and to have access to a flamethrower.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Gave it a look but didn’t see it — does buying Hades 2 in EA lock us in for 1.0? Or will we be asked to spend some more on launch?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

Gave it a look but didn’t see it — does buying Hades 2 in EA lock us in for 1.0? Or will we be asked to spend some more on launch?

You're locked in.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I had just started playing Hades again and got up to the third area after around a dozen runs. I’ve done three runs of Hades 2 so far and this seems far, far harder. I clearly need to be playing differently.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I had just started playing Hades again and got up to the third area after around a dozen runs. I’ve done three runs of Hades 2 so far and this seems far, far harder. I clearly need to be playing differently.

A major thing difference in Ladies vs Hades is that you really do need to be using your Cast a lot. In Hades 1 it was kind of like ignorable for the most part whereas in Hades 2 you should be using it on cooldown. Also once you get passive sources of MP regen (in particular one of the earlier Arcana or any of the MP regen boons) you will have a much easier time dealing damage in huge chunks. MP Regen is probably the most important stat in the game.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Neon Belly posted:

EA always locks you in, as far as I know

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BabyRyoga posted:

I don't think participating in EA makes sense for a lot of games, in fact, it might ruin some of them in a lot of cases if you play too much before the full game is out, and it ends up having a negative impact on your will to play the final game when it eventually comes around.

It's incredibly variable, in that I think there are games where the best experience is to be playing in EA the whole time because the game gets more complex but the tutorials / learning ramp never matches it. The people playing in EA just learn each new twist as it gets added and it's not overwhelming.

I tried out Against the Storm just recently because I have a friend who likes it a lot and has been playing for ages. I'm finding it pretty frustrating because the game is about adapting to random circumstance, but then you get some surprises that are pretty annoying if you're still early and don't know what's up. I doubt they every got feedback that certain mechanics were frustrating from the EA players, they wouldn't be for those people. Meanwhile I'm super into Satisfactory which probably has the same problem, but I can't tell.

Anyways I doubt this will be an issue for Hades 2 because Supergiant are incredibly conscious game designers.

roomtwofifteen posted:

Dang that’s crazy, right? Seems like a ton of content already

They clearly only spend a couple weeks swimming in the vault of money they made from the first game before getting back to work.

The question is: was their money vault not deep enough to high-dive into like Scrooge, so they decided to make a sequel to fill it up? Or is swimming in money just not that fun?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I'm the opposite, took me a dozen runs or so to get through Tartarus in the original game, but I was able to beat the first zone boss on my 2nd run here, albeit dying later in the middle of the second zone due to the enemies being way too tanky there. If anything, apart from wanting to get more clears on the first zone boss itself, I feel like I might be running ahead of the game a little bit too much. You really do have to embrace the wizard mindset with Melinoë (use Casts to trap enemies, explode them with big flashy spells), as opposed to Zagreus' more speed/dodgy rogue playstyle.

I didn't have the Sister Blades for the run when I got the Selene Hex that let me slow down enemies, but I appreciate that the game lets you build Dio Brando with the right setup: stop time, throw knives, rapidly punch-stab enemies in the face.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's hard to judge but to me the first boss felt a bit undertuned. She could probably do with some buffs TBH, but I suppose they don't want to gate the second area too hard.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Area 2 feels about 5x harder than area 1. I got out of area 1 after I think 7 runs or so. So far I haven't made it more than 3 rooms into area 2 in the same number of runs.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The music in this game!!!!!

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Just reached area 3 and where the gently caress am I. What is going on. Holy poo poo.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I haven't beaten the boss in the second area yet, way too much stuff to dodge and keep track of

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I kept expecting it to end at the same points early Hades did (at the end of acts basically) and it just keeps going. Got all the way to Chronos himself and unlocking the way up and still haven't come across the classic "Ah yes pretend we had gameplay here and you died horribly" screens. It feels like right now it's as big as Hades 1 at 1.0.

Final zone spoilers: Fighting backwards through a Chronos-ified Tartarsis so loving cool compared to the weird rat warrens from H1. Figthing through the same zone Zag had to fight up except everything is filled with the literal sands of time and the music is going hard as hell as the zone markers count down is crazy.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 6, 2024

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Pierson posted:

It feels like right now it's as big as Hades 1 at 1.0.

they outright said it's already bigger

i've made it to the act 3 boss so far, also found a bunch of curiosities like asphodel?

has anyone found anyone who will actually go to the hot springs with you? everyone i've tried refuses

i'm impressed that there already seems to be a bit more variety between runs than the first - not that it really got to be a problem in 1 until you were like 50 hours in, but it's very welcome

lih fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 7, 2024

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

soooo excited to get home and play this ☺️👍

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lih posted:

they outright said it's already bigger

i've made it to the act 3 boss so far, also found a bunch of curiosities like asphodel?

has anyone found anyone who will actually go to the hot springs with you? everyone i've tried refuses

i'm impressed that there already seems to be a bit more variety between runs than the first - not that it really got to be a problem in 1 until you were like 50 hours in, but it's very welcome

Dora and Moros will.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Oh hello, Ultrawide resolution

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Gods this song slaps so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T10-e2zgcTk

FYI, looks like the full soundtrack is up on Supergiant's Youtube!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Nybble posted:

Oh hello, Ultrawide resolution

Playing it in ultrawide resolution did something weird to my monitor, though, and I'm not sure I've got it back to normal yet.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

ImpAtom posted:

Dora and Moros will.

moros refused just like the others, maybe i just need to have done something else before anyone will go in the hot springs

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Did we get no story setup whatsoever in this or did I accidentally skip something.

I'm fine with piecing it together but iirc even in hades we got a "you zag, you hate your dad and are running away."

Other than story nitpicks tho it's great so far. I miss double dash and I've got to use the stun more.

Zeta Zetton
Nov 2, 2012
Maaaaan the act 2 boss is WAY too bulky. Don't know if I like how reliant the game is on MP for decent damage, makes it feel real bad to play when you're out and using one of the weaker weapons. And even when you do some of these enemies take way too much to wear down. Difficulty in general seems kind of uneven so far? Probably my only major complaint, rest of the game owns.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Kris xK posted:

Did we get no story setup whatsoever in this or did I accidentally skip something.

I'm fine with piecing it together but iirc even in hades we got a "you zag, you hate your dad and are running away."

Other than story nitpicks tho it's great so far. I miss double dash and I've got to use the stun more.

idk I felt like it had a pretty quick "Chronos killed Hades/Zag/The Queen*, and that's your family. everyone now exists in a liminal space away from the Underworld, and you need to go kill Chronos to reset the balance of power" vibes

That said, I even think that particular setup is not all that it seems to be, so I'm curious how that'll unravel.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wait, so aside from ending stuff they basically dropped the entire game? :psyduck:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
There's still a lot of placeholder art, but yeah there's a lot of game there.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Unlucky7 posted:

Wait, so aside from ending stuff they basically dropped the entire game? :psyduck:

That's how the first game was for most of its early access lifespan, I think. The entire gameplay loop was there but none of the Persephone scenes were in, so you couldn't progress the actual metaplot and certain sidequest chains like Achilles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zeta Zetton posted:

Maaaaan the act 2 boss is WAY too bulky. Don't know if I like how reliant the game is on MP for decent damage, makes it feel real bad to play when you're out and using one of the weaker weapons. And even when you do some of these enemies take way too much to wear down. Difficulty in general seems kind of uneven so far? Probably my only major complaint, rest of the game owns.

The Act 2 boss has three separate targets who can all be hit to damage the health bar, meaning that anything that hits AoE will hit it multiple times. Since the drum player is stationary you can just lure the others over to them and drop nukes for absolutely cartoonish amounts of damage.

(Also if you haven't gotten Arcana leveled up yet that's going to change a whole lot, it's akin to Zag's various mirror things from Hades 1 in terms of how big a change it is.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 7, 2024

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah I was not going for Psyche enough earlier and now it’s all I go for.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kris xK posted:

The first game had a cold open too and you had to put it together from things people said to you. This has a bit less because you know a bit less, as far as I can see.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I just unlocked the torches and took them out for a spin. I really dislike the torches, as it turns out! They just feel bad to use, like I'm throwing foam darts at enemies. I get that they wanted to balance the "ranged" weapon but loving hell this weapon feels awful. Only weapon I've actually died to the first zone miniboss with.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I just unlocked the torches and took them out for a spin. I really dislike the torches, as it turns out! They just feel bad to use, like I'm throwing foam darts at enemies. I get that they wanted to balance the "ranged" weapon but loving hell this weapon feels awful. Only weapon I've actually died to the first zone miniboss with.
I hate em lol.

I'll be honest I don't like how any of the weapons' attacks and specials work together they feel like completely independent abilities that don't seem to animation cancel into each other at all - they feel like you're supposed to spam one in melee range and spam the other at range but they don't feel good together. The game gives you a ton of reasons to want to attack+special on the same enemy but it just doesn't feel that good to do at least on the first 3 weapons. That said I am still very much enjoying the game even if I'm just using the weapon that's most like Hades 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
This game is already awesome. The mechanics, both combat and out of combat, are way deeper and outside of one bug that literally froze my computer (couldn't even ctrl+alt+delete), it's been butter.

I'm still getting used to the new Boons. As I said before, I like the new Tool system. I think when I went with the Ancient Tablet, my last run netted me 130ish Psyche. Massive boost for all the Arcana cards. Next run I went with the Pickaxe and got 12 Silver, which unlocked a weapon. Yes, you miss out on stuff but it also distills what you want down into a single run.

I'll echo what others have said: the difficulty spikes pretty fast. The 2nd area has enemies with significantly more HP. The 3rd area is...totally different. Didn't get past the boss on that one yet. I actually have gotten the furthest with the default weapon but have made it to the 3rd area with the Knife and Torch. Still haven't unlocked the Axe. I think I'm only on run 8 or 9 so I haven't quite farmed quite enough to have basic just overall more power.

Still, for only playing a few hours, I'm already digging this as much as the original. There's a few "WTF" moments, too.