Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Looks like they aren't, or at least mine isn't according to the cut sheet.

I don't see why they ever would.

Look, I don't know exactly why that's not a thing. Maybe it's safety, maybe it's just market. But have fun with your homeowners insurance if something goes wrong at any time and they find that poo poo. Whether you were running on generator or not.

Bottom line: plan ahead, do it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Can I mix LED light types with an LED dimmer? I am assuming all lights on the dimmer should be LED as a given and I'm trying for that. We have three switches in the bathroom that I am moving and I'm wondering if I can make it two. There's a light switch for the vanity and one for the vent light. The vent light's been recently replaced with a Broan Roomside with an 11W LED light. The bathroom is small enough that's actually silly to have these separate switches if we could instead consolidate them and perhaps dim them so it's not rise-and-shine-hell-bright at making GBS threads-o-clock-AM.

As a reference, I'm looking at the Leviton reverse-phase switches like the DSE06 and 66EV.

Edit: God drat Broan's documentation on this looks really overengineered. Those sliders appear to support something like 300W and here I am with 11W off the blower and probably something like 40W total.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 21, 2022

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
We want to have a TV in a space where there is no outlet, but there is an existing outlet on the other side of the wall. Therefore I have connected wire to the existing outlet, drilled through the wall, and connected the wire to a new outlet. It seems to work 🤷 but a few things came up I am not sure about.

This is in Europe and previously I had only done things like this in the US. It is all so different.

1. The electrical wire I bought at the hardware store here is very flexible and has lots of tiny strands like speaker cable. I am used to US electric cable where each wire is a stiff single strand. Is this just something they do differently here or did I buy the wrong type of wire?

2. Since the wire is not stiff it doesn't really lend itself to twisting together with wire caps (or whatever they are called). So to connect the new wire in the existing socket I just connected the new wire to the socket in the same way the existing wire is connected (it is done with a screw). Is this okay?

3. This is a crazier question. This apartment has a number of outlets that are not grounded and the one I took power from is one of those. But when I opened it up I saw there is in fact a green/yellow wire hanging out in there. So maybe I could buy grounded sockets and connect this wire? But apparently the way this apartment is wired is odd in that even on the grounded outlets, a simple tester shows they are not grounded. We found this out when a technician was here to install A/C and he tested the sockets. We had an electrician come to check it out and after doing a lot of tests he said actually the grounding is fine, just the way it is done means it doesn't pass the simple grounding test. So due to that, if I try to use this ground wire I am not sure how I would ever know it was working...

I am not an electrician but this is how the electrician described it to me (translated): "It is not exactly this two-phase system, in fact it is a three-phase system at 220 V in which 2 phases are taken. In the past, houses in Spain used to operate at 125 V. In a modern system the buildings go to 400 V three-phase and each house gets 230 V single-phase. Your building as it is at 220 V three-phase must take 2 phases (hence the two-phase) for the house to reach 220 V."

Does that explain why the ground test doesn't work? I have no idea.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

H110Hawk posted:

I mean literally home running an extension cord from the generator to the cord on the furnace. Like if it's in your garage, put the generator in your driveway, a 25' 12awg outdoor extension cord, unplug the furnace from utility power, plug into the extension cord, plug into the generator.

This assumes that the furnace+forced air comes from the factory cord-and-plug and is gas fired. Electric resistance you might as well do it right for the size generator you would need.

No wire cutters involved.

This is how I set mine up; I'm one of the trades guys who does the wacky poo poo at home. The furnace plugs into a switched outlet. When the power goes out I unplug from the outlet and plug that into an extension cord to the generator. It may not be code, but I consider it safe. I used to see this setup occasionally when I was a helper doing residential and light commercial HVAC two decades ago. This is not meant to be advice.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
furnace-disconnecting-means-chat

Out here in the west, we do it this way :clint:

This was a permitted and inspected install, I can't find my municpality's addendum to the building codes, but here's LA's (and AZ seems to crib a lot from California). It does note motronic's observation that no manufacturer would get one approved for cord connection-- and why would they, you don't move it once installed.

https://dpw.lacounty.gov/BSD/lib/fp...0Appliances.pdf

quote:

Presently, there are no Forced Air Units known to be marked for cord connection. Section 422.16(A) would, therefore, require a Forced Air Unit to be connected with an approved wiring method other than flexible cords. A disconnecting means required and complying with Sections 430.101, 430.102(B), and 430-109 would also be required.

As an alternative installation method for a Forced Air Unit, a flexible cord would be allowed provided the ampacity of the cord conductor is not less than the rating of the branch circuit protective device. The following is a summary of the requirements when installing a Forced Air Unit with a flexible cord:

15A Branch Circuit Rating
• Minimum # 14 AWG branch circuit conductor
• Minimum 15 Amp rated receptacle outlet
• Minimum 15 Amp rated cord cap
• Minimum # 14 AWG extra hard usage cord with Ground

20A Branch Circuit Rating
• Minimum # 12 AWG branch circuit conductor
• Minimum 20 Amp rated receptacle outlet (15Amp rated receptacle outlet is allowed only if two or more receptacles are connected to that specific branch circuit)
• Minimum 20 Amp rated Cord Cap
• Minimum # 12 AWG extra hard usage cord with Ground

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001

glynnenstein posted:

This is how I set mine up; I'm one of the trades guys who does the wacky poo poo at home. The furnace plugs into a switched outlet. When the power goes out I unplug from the outlet and plug that into an extension cord to the generator. It may not be code, but I consider it safe. I used to see this setup occasionally when I was a helper doing residential and light commercial HVAC two decades ago. This is not meant to be advice.

I want to do this with my natural gas hot water boiler so that I can run it during a power outage. I think the only thing electrical is the control board. The way it is set up today is there is 24v ac transformer that plugs directly into a breaker. I would replace this with a 24v wall wart. Is this a terrible idea?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
While setting up Christmas or Halloween decorations, I often run into situations where a string of lights or simple light up decoration (nothing motorized, etc) won't daisy chain with each other because one is polarized and the other isn't. Is there a reason something like a string of LEDs would need to be polarized, or are plug decisions in some cases just like, whatever they had laying around?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Qwijib0 posted:

furnace-disconnecting-means-chat

Out here in the west, we do it this way :clint:

This was a permitted and inspected install, I can't find my municpality's addendum to the building codes, but here's LA's (and AZ seems to crib a lot from California). It does note motronic's observation that no manufacturer would get one approved for cord connection-- and why would they, you don't move it once installed.

https://dpw.lacounty.gov/BSD/lib/fp...0Appliances.pdf

No pictures of mine because I'd have to climb a ladder into the attic, but same here - my indoor air handler is plugged into a receptacle mounted to one of the rafters right next to it, and as my installer noted when I asked about it - it satisfies our code for a local disconnect.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
My breaker switch flips when I try to play a moderately demanding game on my laptop while it's plugged into the wall. It's fine if I'm just typing or browsing the web or whatever. Works fine on other outlets in the house.

I'm mostly ignorant of electricity so I did some internet searching. My charger says it's 240w. The output is 195v == 12.31a, but the input says 100-240v ~35a. I am not clear what the difference between output and input is. I looked at the breaker box and the switch for my office is 20... which I am to believe is 20...a? But the ones in my kitchen where I tested the laptop are 50. Is it as simple as... when playing games it's hitting that higher input value (35) and breaking the limit of 20?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ultrachrist posted:

My breaker switch flips when I try to play a moderately demanding game on my laptop while it's plugged into the wall. It's fine if I'm just typing or browsing the web or whatever. Works fine on other outlets in the house.

I'm mostly ignorant of electricity so I did some internet searching. My charger says it's 240w. The output is 195v == 12.31a, but the input says 100-240v ~35a. I am not clear what the difference between output and input is. I looked at the breaker box and the switch for my office is 20... which I am to believe is 20...a? But the ones in my kitchen where I tested the laptop are 50. Is it as simple as... when playing games it's hitting that higher input value (35) and breaking the limit of 20?

:stare:

Can you post the make and model of this laptop? And a clear picture of the label on the power brick where you see these numbers?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Also post a picture of your panel, because just about nothing in any panel labeled "kitchen" should say 50 except the circuit for an electric range or oven.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

corgski posted:

Also post a picture of your panel, because just about nothing in any panel labeled "kitchen" should say 50 except the circuit for an electric range or oven.

The one he's flipping is the 20a one I think. The 50a one probably is for the range/oven and is badly labeled or he misread.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
^Yeah, I'm likely misremembering. I know one of them said 50 or 70 but it might not have been the kitchen. I wasn't studying the others, but I am certain the office is 20. If this is useful info, I can check.

H110Hawk posted:

:stare:

Can you post the make and model of this laptop? And a clear picture of the label on the power brick where you see these numbers?

Sure, it's a G15 series Dell alienware laptop. Like 1.5 years old? Can't remember exactly.

(I see it says 3.5 now with the close up camera pic and not just staring at it by my feet, so I guess that's not the problem.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
There are decimals in there friend. 19.5v is a common laptop output, 3.5a is a :eyepop: amount of input but that's fine for the kickin rad graphics you're doing.

Anyway - what else turns off when your breaker turns off? Is it a GFCI/AFCI/CFCI breaker? Are there any other outlets that are gfci on that turn off? Is there say a space heater or air conditioner on that turns off?

If you are overloading the breaker then you have to move loads around as you have found. Add up the loads that turn off with your breaker and come back. If they are well below 20A (well, 20A - 3.5A) then your breaker may be shot. For that you will need an electrician (or to call your landlord if renting) to repair it.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 22, 2022

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

There are decimals in there friend. 19.5v is a common laptop output, 3.5a is a :eyepop: amount of input but that's fine for the kickin rad graphics you're doing.

Anyway - what else turns off when your breaker turns off? Is it a GFCI/AFCI/CFCI breaker? Are there any other outlets that are gfci on that turn off? Is there say a space heater or air conditioner on that turns off?

If you are overloading the breaker then you have to move loads around as you have found. Add up the loads that turn off with your breaker and come back. If they are well below 20A (well, 20A - 3.5A) then your breaker may be shot. For that you will need an electrician (or to call your landlord if renting) to repair it.

I still saw it as 35 while I was taking the picture and had to study the pic itself to see the decimal. Prob should be wearing my glasses.

It says CAFCI on the breaker. Nothing big like an AC or heater, it's just the monitor and a few lamps. The breaker says "downstairs bedroom outlets" which seem to be accurate other than the fact that an outlet in the next room (with just a lamp on it) also goes off. My next-door neighbor is an electrician but I wanted to get my poo poo together before I asked him for help.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Danhenge posted:

The one he's flipping is the 20a one I think. The 50a one probably is for the range/oven and is badly labeled or he misread.

I'm covering all bases because I have been in houses where idiots have split a 50A range circuit out to 20A receptacles after installing a gas range.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ultrachrist posted:

I still saw it as 35 while I was taking the picture and had to study the pic itself to see the decimal. Prob should be wearing my glasses.

It says CAFCI on the breaker.

Where your glasses for troubleshooting.

Go plug this thing into a bathroom or kitchen gfci outlet and use it. Game. Make the fans sound like they're going to lift off.

In the meantime put a lamp in the outlet (exact plug) you use for the laptop. Let it run a bit (hours). Jiggle the plug a bit while the light is on - eventually unplugging it. Any snap crackle and pop? Any scorching? Does it grab and hold your plug in firmly or loosely?

Next time it pops, carefully take the outlet cover off and give it a whiff. Smell acrid? Shine a flashlight in there, any scorching? Black smokelike residue, any wires look melty? DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING.

You could have a shot outlet as well. Put the cover back on and reset the breaker.

Your electrician friend probably loves beer and cash.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Your laptop is probably the straw that is breaking the camels back. I'd agree with H110Hawk about trying it on another GFFCI circuit in the house and see if it also trips the other circuit. If the other circuit also pops when you're gaming, then something is wrong with the laptop. If the laptop itself is running fine otherwise, I'm guessing there's a short in the power supply brick that only happens when it's hot under load.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

corgski posted:

I'm covering all bases because I have been in houses where idiots have split a 50A range circuit out to 20A receptacles after installing a gas range.

Very nice.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Motronic posted:

Installation to the manufacturer's instructions/cut sheet IS the code in almost all codes. Who is testing/listing fixed oil or gas heaters with detachable power cords?

I mean, where I grew up (Texas), our gas furnaces used a cord and plug. The cord wasn't detachable from the furnace (it went through a K/O with a clamp), but it did plug in to a regular 3 prong outlet.

I don't think it's allowed in new construction today, but my dad's house (built in the mid 80s) is still this way, despite getting a new furnace a few years back. I mostly grew up in 50s-80s houses, and they were all that way. But these were old enough to have a standing pilot and no induction draft motor; just a gas valve, 24V transformer, and a blower. Usually a doorbell transformer was nearby, and if the house had an alarm, the alarm transformer was usually plugged into the same duplex outlet.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 22, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

STR posted:

I mean, where I grew up (Texas), our gas furnaces used a cord and plug. The cord wasn't detachable from the furnace (it went through a K/O with a clamp), but it did plug in to a regular 3 prong outlet.

I don't think it's allowed in new construction today, but my dad's house (built in the mid 80s) is still this way, despite getting a new furnace a few years back. I mostly grew up in 50s-80s houses, and they were all that way. But these were old enough to have a standing pilot and no induction draft motor; just a gas valve, 24V transformer, and a blower. Usually a doorbell transformer was nearby, and if the house had an alarm, the alarm transformer was usually plugged into the same duplex outlet.

You're describing pre-modern-code situations. Texas didn't adopt the i-codes until the early 2000s.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

meanwhile, in scots land:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
One weird trick POCOs hate

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm looking into a new EV charger. The electrician was unsure at first about the max amp sizing, partly because I have an electric oven circuit at 30a already leaving only roughly 20a "spare" at a glance. So I started investigating.

First, the oven only actually draws 10a nominally and 14a max load. Next, load calc forms assume lighting is pulling tons of amps, but all my bulbs housewide are ~2.4a max in total.

Would the oven be happier on a 20a breaker instead of 30a?
Is the lighting discrepancy due to old bulbs vs LED?

In an ideal outcome, I'd like to put in a 50a breaker and have a 40a EV charger dynamically adjust to live panel load. The local inspection desk didn't seem to give a single gently caress when consulted. Is that legit or a fire waiting to happen? :ohdear:

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

I'm looking into a new EV charger. The electrician was unsure at first about the max amp sizing, partly because I have an electric oven circuit at 30a already leaving only roughly 20a "spare" at a glance. So I started investigating.

First, the oven only actually draws 10a nominally and 14a max load. Next, load calc forms assume lighting is pulling tons of amps, but all my bulbs housewide are ~2.4a max in total.

In an ideal outcome, I'd like to put in a 50a breaker and have a 40a EV charger dynamically adjust to live panel load. The local inspection desk didn't seem to give a single gently caress when consulted. Is that legit or a fire waiting to happen? :ohdear:

Your electrician looked at your breaker panel, and determined there wasn't capacity? Uhh, find a different electrician, that's a huge red flag.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Chronojam posted:

Hire a different electrician. Can you post a picture of your panel? Your oven has a spec breaker it requires and you should use exactly that one. Same with your charger. Unless your panel is <100a main or extremely old I bet it will be fine with a 50a charger.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Checking again here there are 9x 15a breakers, 6x 20a breakers for kitchen/laundry, and 4x 30a labeled as oven/HVAC -- these are joined together into pairs in the lower right.

Previous owner renovated the kitchen, switching from a full-electric oven/range to an electric/gas combo. The oven is rated as 3.8 kw @ 240v, so 15a which wants a 20a breaker?
E: googling the manual, amp rating at 208 & 240 are listed 20a

This is a 100a panel

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 25, 2022

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Your electrician should be very happy to quote you a service change along with the EV charger.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

other people posted:

We want to have a TV in a space where there is no outlet, but there is an existing outlet on the other side of the wall. Therefore I have connected wire to the existing outlet, drilled through the wall, and connected the wire to a new outlet. It seems to work 🤷 but a few things came up I am not sure about.

This is in Europe and previously I had only done things like this in the US. It is all so different.

1. The electrical wire I bought at the hardware store here is very flexible and has lots of tiny strands like speaker cable. I am used to US electric cable where each wire is a stiff single strand. Is this just something they do differently here or did I buy the wrong type of wire?

2. Since the wire is not stiff it doesn't really lend itself to twisting together with wire caps (or whatever they are called). So to connect the new wire in the existing socket I just connected the new wire to the socket in the same way the existing wire is connected (it is done with a screw). Is this okay?

3. This is a crazier question. This apartment has a number of outlets that are not grounded and the one I took power from is one of those. But when I opened it up I saw there is in fact a green/yellow wire hanging out in there. So maybe I could buy grounded sockets and connect this wire? But apparently the way this apartment is wired is odd in that even on the grounded outlets, a simple tester shows they are not grounded. We found this out when a technician was here to install A/C and he tested the sockets. We had an electrician come to check it out and after doing a lot of tests he said actually the grounding is fine, just the way it is done means it doesn't pass the simple grounding test. So due to that, if I try to use this ground wire I am not sure how I would ever know it was working...

I am not an electrician but this is how the electrician described it to me (translated): "It is not exactly this two-phase system, in fact it is a three-phase system at 220 V in which 2 phases are taken. In the past, houses in Spain used to operate at 125 V. In a modern system the buildings go to 400 V three-phase and each house gets 230 V single-phase. Your building as it is at 220 V three-phase must take 2 phases (hence the two-phase) for the house to reach 220 V."

Does that explain why the ground test doesn't work? I have no idea.

1. Most installation wire in europe is the hard, single core kind. It varies per country if stranded wire is up to code or not. But it's pretty unusual. That said, it also varies per country if the code is a guideline, or whether it's essentially a law. Personally i think you should use the stiff kind of wire for permanent installations of wall outlets etc.

2. To connect stranded wire to terminal blocks, wagos etc you pretty much always use a crimped ferrule. For small loads (like permanently connected light fixtures) you can get away with putting the stranded wire under screw terminals. Wire nuts on stranded wire are not allowed in most european countries (i have a box of them, iirc the box says that only in norway it's allowed)
Do NOT tin the stranded wire with some solder. Lots of old folks used to do this, but tin is a metal that can creep, slowly loosening the connection over the course of months/years, and then causing all kinds of sparky smokey trouble.

My recommendation is to get some proper stiff installation wire, because a GOOD crimper for ferrules costs a large amount of money, and bad crimps are a recipe for disaster. The crimpers that cost less than 70 euro usually suck. Stranded wire under a screw terminal with just a TV as the load will not cause trouble, but one day you (or the next person who lives in your place) will forget about it, use it for a kettle, gaming pc setup or space heater, and burn out the outlet after everything worked 'just fine' for a year or so.

3. I can't tell.

Finally, in Europe you indeed have the 3 phase system in most countries. 2 phase 180 degree shift, like in the USA does not exist. In most places you get either 1 phase and neutral from the street cable, or all3 phases and neutral, with 230v between phase and neutral and 400v between the phases.
However, it is indeed possible that you live in a place with really old infrastructure. Back before the 1960s the lower voltages were very common. You'd have 3 phase + neutral running through the street, but with 110-130v between phase and neutral, and 220-240v between the phases. Post WW2, the standardisation of power in Europe to 220-240v started to take place.

Your place might originally have had a single phase 110-130v cable going to it. The cheapest way of converting it to 230v, was to hook it up between two phases giving you close to 220v - you'd get 2 out of 3 phases to your house.
That way the existing transformers could stay in place. By now, this system has gotten quite rare but there are still a handful of places that have it.
You'll probably measure about 130v between each live wire and ground. It is possible that your ground tester expects a voltage of 230v between live and ground, and if it only measures 130v it assumes there is something wrong. But i cannot tell that for sure without knowing how the ground tester works precisely.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 25, 2022

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

I'm looking to purchase an electric resistance heater for use in emergencies - I'm swapping my home over to heat pumps in the spring and expect some issues during the first winter (Wisconsin) while I iron stuff out. I have a wood stove going in, the electric resistance heater is the back-up for the back-up to buy time if needed. Open plan basement with one level above, so air will circulate well.

This is the unit I want to purchase:
https://www.mcmaster.com/3688K72/

It has a NEMA 6-30 plug.

If I ever need to use it, I'd like to use my existing electric dryer receptacle which is a NEMA 14-30.

Can I cut the NEMA 6-30 plug off the heater and replace it with a NEMA 14-30 plug? If so, should I buy the NEMA 14-30 plug from McMaster or is there another recommended vendor? McMaster is $65 for the plug, not sure if that is typical or not:
https://www.mcmaster.com/8035K56/

Thanks for the advice!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tezer posted:

I'm looking to purchase an electric resistance heater for use in emergencies - I'm swapping my home over to heat pumps in the spring and expect some issues during the first winter (Wisconsin) while I iron stuff out. I have a wood stove going in, the electric resistance heater is the back-up for the back-up to buy time if needed. Open plan basement with one level above, so air will circulate well.

It has a NEMA 6-30 plug.

If I ever need to use it, I'd like to use my existing electric dryer receptacle which is a NEMA 14-30.

Can I cut the NEMA 6-30 plug off the heater and replace it with a NEMA 14-30 plug? If so, should I buy the NEMA 14-30 plug from McMaster or is there another recommended vendor? McMaster is $65 for the plug, not sure if that is typical or not:

Thanks for the advice!

This is a thing: https://www.evseadapters.com/products/nema-14-30p-to-6-30r-adapter/

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Tezer posted:

It has a NEMA 6-30 plug.

Thanks for the advice!

You can do this. We have a couple of these units (from Grainger): https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Portable-Electric-Jobsite-3VU36. I typically also get my NEMA plugs from Grainger https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Angle-Straight-Blade-Plug-49YY41. Do not connect the neutral pin on the plug to anything. Use the two hots and the ground ONLY.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Ya, I saw those - I wasn't sure if they were OK to use. McMaster doesn't sell them, and I couldn't tell if it was because it was too niche, or because you aren't supposed to use that kind of adapter. I know enough about wiring to know there's a lot I don't know.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

You can do this. We have a couple of these units (from Grainger): https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Portable-Electric-Jobsite-3VU36. I typically also get my NEMA plugs from Grainger https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Angle-Straight-Blade-Plug-49YY41. Do not connect the neutral pin on the plug to anything. Use the two hots and the ground ONLY.

Got it - so it's OK to leave a neutral pin unused in a plug that has one? I wasn't sure if perhaps I needed to label it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tezer posted:

Got it - so it's OK to leave a neutral pin unused in a plug that has one? I wasn't sure if perhaps I needed to label it.

100% kosher. It's all your heater is doing. You're not losing anything.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I've always been a fan of McMaster-Carr and admired their good quality website and smartphone app from afar. I sadly do not Operate A Plant or do other cool things their target clients do, so I haven't specifically needed anything yet. Anything the Wiring Thread folks like (or Grainger) to have on hand or have done cool projects with? Fun fact, both McMaster and Grainger are HQ'd in a suburb of my city. If anyone is getting screwed on shipping I can ship it instead if there's profit in it!

I also like what I heard is McMaster's style where, if you want something on their website and need it to get there quickly, you're willing to pay all reasonable costs to do that, so they don't say how much shipping will be but they'll figure it out and bill you later. (If it's a ridiculous amount I'm sure they call you and discuss etc.)

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 26, 2022

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

McMaster is a mixed bag. They're good for quickly finding decent quality commodity things and getting them quickly (but expensively). They're quite bad for anything complicated or controlled because they won't tell you the actual manufacturer or part numbers for anything. They also won't show you any of the real datasheets or drawings for parts, just descriptive McMaster-created CAD and drawings with no tolerances or any extra mfg-supplied information, plus occasional errors. They also won't always give you the same part for the same catalog number, so if you reorder something you may or may not get the same thing.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I am replacing a single pole light switch in my fiances office. There are three black wires running into it. The switch does not control any outlets, only the one light. It seems like the common advice is to pigtail two of them after figuring out which is the actual load. I would assume the hot wire and the wire that goes elsewhere are the ones that need to be pigtailed and the lone wire is the one that continues on to the actual light? Is there a way to tell from the switch which is which? Or do I need to wire two of them without the third to see what happens? Kinda guessing the top two need to be pigtailed just based on how I assume the screws and backstabs are linked?

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 28, 2022

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah I would pigtail them.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I am replacing a single pole light switch in my fiances office. There are three black wires running into it. The switch does not control any outlets, only the one light. It seems like the common advice is to pigtail two of them after figuring out which is the actual load. I would assume the hot wire and the wire that goes elsewhere are the ones that need to be pigtailed and the lone wire is the one that continues on to the actual light? Is there a way to tell from the switch which is which? Or do I need to wire two of them without the third to see what happens? Kinda guessing the top two need to be pigtailed just based on how I assume the screws and backstabs are linked?

The wire at the top and the one backstabbed at the top are already connected to the same terminal inside the existing switch so while there's no telling why there are two of them, pigtailing them together will not change the status quo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

LimaBiker posted:

1. Most installation wire in europe is the hard, single core kind. It varies per country if stranded wire is up to code or not. But it's pretty unusual. That said, it also varies per country if the code is a guideline, or whether it's essentially a law. Personally i think you should use the stiff kind of wire for permanent installations of wall outlets etc.

2. To connect stranded wire to terminal blocks, wagos etc you pretty much always use a crimped ferrule. For small loads (like permanently connected light fixtures) you can get away with putting the stranded wire under screw terminals. Wire nuts on stranded wire are not allowed in most european countries (i have a box of them, iirc the box says that only in norway it's allowed)
Do NOT tin the stranded wire with some solder. Lots of old folks used to do this, but tin is a metal that can creep, slowly loosening the connection over the course of months/years, and then causing all kinds of sparky smokey trouble.

My recommendation is to get some proper stiff installation wire, because a GOOD crimper for ferrules costs a large amount of money, and bad crimps are a recipe for disaster. The crimpers that cost less than 70 euro usually suck. Stranded wire under a screw terminal with just a TV as the load will not cause trouble, but one day you (or the next person who lives in your place) will forget about it, use it for a kettle, gaming pc setup or space heater, and burn out the outlet after everything worked 'just fine' for a year or so.

3. I can't tell.

Finally, in Europe you indeed have the 3 phase system in most countries. 2 phase 180 degree shift, like in the USA does not exist. In most places you get either 1 phase and neutral from the street cable, or all3 phases and neutral, with 230v between phase and neutral and 400v between the phases.
However, it is indeed possible that you live in a place with really old infrastructure. Back before the 1960s the lower voltages were very common. You'd have 3 phase + neutral running through the street, but with 110-130v between phase and neutral, and 220-240v between the phases. Post WW2, the standardisation of power in Europe to 220-240v started to take place.

Your place might originally have had a single phase 110-130v cable going to it. The cheapest way of converting it to 230v, was to hook it up between two phases giving you close to 220v - you'd get 2 out of 3 phases to your house.
That way the existing transformers could stay in place. By now, this system has gotten quite rare but there are still a handful of places that have it.
You'll probably measure about 130v between each live wire and ground. It is possible that your ground tester expects a voltage of 230v between live and ground, and if it only measures 130v it assumes there is something wrong. But i cannot tell that for sure without knowing how the ground tester works precisely.

Thank you much for this!