Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Rilae posted:

Hopefully I am posting this question in the right thread...

I'm looking for a simple, free tool for taking screenshots. Right now I use mostly Snipping Tool and occasionally Print Screen but I am looking for a something I can essentially assign to a hot key that will take the screenshot and then automatically save it to a designated folder in one fell swoop. Even better if I had the option to designate which part of the screen I wanted to save and then as soon as my selection was made the shot was automatically saved. I have tried out a couple of Firefox add-ons and browsed CNET but haven't quite been able to find what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?

You want greenshot. http://getgreenshot.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rilae posted:

I'm looking for a simple, free tool for taking screenshots. Right now I use mostly Snipping Tool and occasionally Print Screen but I am looking for a something I can essentially assign to a hot key that will take the screenshot and then automatically save it to a designated folder in one fell swoop. Even better if I had the option to designate which part of the screen I wanted to save and then as soon as my selection was made the shot was automatically saved. I have tried out a couple of Firefox add-ons and browsed CNET but haven't quite been able to find what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?

We use Snagit and have had pretty good results.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Agreed.

OPERATE MACHINERY
Nov 11, 2012

Rilae posted:

Any suggestions?

I've been using ShareX It's quite easy to use and set up. It also allows you to very quickly upload your screenshot to an image hosting website.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I'd like to start using Access to do what everyone in my organization uses Excel and Word to do.

An easy example is a language test. I'm going to create one table with the information of every person who would ever take the test. I would like another table that contains the test information such as the name of the person who took it, the date they took it, their score, as well as previous tests and scores they received.

Is there a way to automatically bump all of the old test dates and scores to the right as new scores are entered? I would like to avoid having to create new fields every time a test id given.

Also, if you're an Access pro, pm me because I know I'm going to have plenty of questions as I go about making this database.

I'm no pro but you generally want to use multiple rows instead of additional columns inside the schema. When someone takes a test multiple times, add a row for each session. Generate the report you want by querying for all the times a given person took the test, then use logic in the presentation layer to transpose the rows to columns, or just show the rows and let the users figure it out.

Question of my own: I have no experience with Visual Basic, but I have programming experience. I have a desire to learn how to automate Visio - I've been asked to work on making diagrams showing servers, dataflows among them, etc, and I don't want to type information into Visio if I can dynamically query our inventory database for it instead. Does anyone know of a good place to start for learning how to do that?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^do people still use ODBC? I think I used that to get VB and Access playing with each other,but that was a while ago. Might give you some clues at least!

And yeah for language test amigo, you probably want to use a separate table for users and their details, with a unique ID for each person, then in your Tests Taken table just refer to the person ID for each instance of a test you're recording.

Basically you only want to actually record each piece of information once (so any change to a specific detail would only have to be done in one place, and you avoid errors and inconsistency). Then you just use references to the info (like using a person's unique ID in the People table) and use your query logic to find what you need and spit it all out as a useful whole.

Might be worth reading up a bit on normal forms if you're not familiar with databases (not that I'm an expert either) - the wikipedia stuff is a bit dry as usual, but the basic idea is pretty simple once you get the whole separation thing. It's basically a way of organising your data so the same piece of info can't be recorded in multiple places, where they might end up disagreeing, making it hard to know which is right and if you managed to fix them all

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 18, 2013

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'm no pro but you generally want to use multiple rows instead of additional columns inside the schema. When someone takes a test multiple times, add a row for each session. Generate the report you want by querying for all the times a given person took the test, then use logic in the presentation layer to transpose the rows to columns, or just show the rows and let the users figure it out.

Thanks. I think I'm still in the mindset of trying to make Access look like what I'm used to seeing in Excel which is a no-no. If I'm using the students as the primary key on the test results table and the primary key is entered more than once because the student takes the test more than once, can I create a report that will only list the student once but to the right of the student column have the results of their most recent test followed by any previous tests the farther to the right you go on the page?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Thanks. I think I'm still in the mindset of trying to make Access look like what I'm used to seeing in Excel which is a no-no. If I'm using the students as the primary key on the test results table and the primary key is entered more than once because the student takes the test more than once, can I create a report that will only list the student once but to the right of the student column have the results of their most recent test followed by any previous tests the farther to the right you go on the page?

Don't make the student the primary key. Use an automatic primary key and just index on the student ID.

Access doesn't do that sort of report automatically. You can do a pivot but it still has each test in its own row. I found someone asking much the same question in Google and the answer might be helpful to you, although it's not point and click: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11561422/transpose-a-set-of-values-in-rows-to-columns-in-access-2010. I also found http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.access/how-to-transpose-multiple-columns-int/89766 interesting.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 18, 2013

Rilae
Apr 10, 2007
Disinclined to acquiesce to your request
Thanks for the advice, I decided to give Greenshot a try, and it seems to be doing the trick!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I have a Windows 7 homegroup set up at my house. My desktop computer (where the homegroup was started in case this matters) can see my laptop listed under Homegroup in an explorer window, but my laptop can't see the desktop. I can open shares by network path though, and a shared printer is working fine as well. My network is listed as a home network in the network and sharing center. The desktop is running home premium, and the laptop is on Professional, though it is not joined to a domain. What might cause this, and how do I fix it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not sure if this is the right thread, but it seemed the closest:

I need to send the contents of various text files (several thousand lines) as ASCII over a serial port. Just as if I'd typed it in, line after line after line. Normally I use PuTTY for serial communication, but I can't figure out how to do it in PuTTY without copying and pasting, and I'm trying to avoid that process if possible. I'd rather just be able to open the port, open the file, and click "send" and have it go. Is there a free program that can do what I'm asking for?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 21, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there an add-on or option available for Excel (2010, if that matters) that highlights the entire row and column of a given selected cell? This seems like a pretty intuitive and useful feature, so I'm guessing I'm just blind or something.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/keyboardshortcuts.htm
says Select Row and Select Column are shift+space and ctrl+space. Or are you looking for a mennu option to automate a macro or something?

e: you can select rows and columns by clicking the heading too (A, B, 24 etc) in case you're looking for basic selection stuff in general

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 22, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

baka kaba posted:

This
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/keyboardshortcuts.htm
says Select Row and Select Column are shift+space and ctrl+space. Or are you looking for a mennu option to automate a macro or something?

e: you can select rows and columns by clicking the heading too (A, B, 24 etc) in case you're looking for basic selection stuff in general

I don't want to select a row, I just want a row/column highlighted when a cell is selected.

For example when I select cell U4886, I want column U and row 4886 to be colored differently (the entire row and column, not just the header which is default behavior). I don't plan on manipulating data with this functionality, I just want it for readability reasons when inputting things so I know where I am easily, rather than using my finger to trace a row all the way from the left side.

Of course, it will say "U4886" to the left of the formula bar, but that just helps me find my place without solving the readability issue.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

This is kind of a longshot, but does anyone have an all-encompassing EMET config xml file with all of the usual zero-day vulnerabilities in it they could share? I'm trying to set up a relative's PC on limited time, and this would be a real time saver.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Is there an add-on or option available for Excel (2010, if that matters) that highlights the entire row and column of a given selected cell? This seems like a pretty intuitive and useful feature, so I'm guessing I'm just blind or something.

This guy wrote a macro which I think will do what you want.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This is exactly it! Thanks!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

WorkingStiff posted:

This is kind of a longshot, but does anyone have an all-encompassing EMET config xml file with all of the usual zero-day vulnerabilities in it they could share? I'm trying to set up a relative's PC on limited time, and this would be a real time saver.

I don't think this is going to be effective for more than a few months without being constantly maintained. The executable name for Flash changes with each build, Acrobat is releasing new major builds with enough frequency that the folder structure is going to change on you (%program files%\Acrobat [9,10,11,12]), the mitigations aren't terribly effective at things like Java exploits because of JIT compiling, stuff like that. I would set the system-wide mechanisms (SEHOP, DEP Opt Out) and find something that helps them keep 3rd party software up to date.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I don't think this is going to be effective for more than a few months without being constantly maintained. The executable name for Flash changes with each build, Acrobat is releasing new major builds with enough frequency that the folder structure is going to change on you (%program files%\Acrobat [9,10,11,12]), the mitigations aren't terribly effective at things like Java exploits because of JIT compiling, stuff like that. I would set the system-wide mechanisms (SEHOP, DEP Opt Out) and find something that helps them keep 3rd party software up to date.

Yeah I'm starting to see that. EMET v3 allows environment variables and wildcards, but the default list is pretty sparse. I've already run into some snags with some unknown EMET setting crippling Logmein and I had to disable SEHOP for Lastpass to function in Chrome. I've installed Secunia PSI to hopefully keep third-party plug-ins up to date.

Thanks for your help!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is outlook.com down for anyone else? I can get to the login screen but it eventually times out saying "Service unavailable" but the status page says all systems go. Sometimes my router plays up so I I'm not sure if the problem is at my end.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is outlook.com down for anyone else? I can get to the login screen but it eventually times out saying "Service unavailable" but the status page says all systems go. Sometimes my router plays up so I I'm not sure if the problem is at my end.

Looks ok here.

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/outlook.com

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Yeah as I said I can get to the login page OK, but after that things go tits-up. It's been in the news today so it's not just me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you use dism to remove Features on Demand payload, will it still download those payloads from Windows Update if it needs to install a feature, or will it actively break?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Pilsner posted:

I get this prompt every time I try to remote to one of our servers (on the same domain):

I'm on Windows 7, use mRemote, and of course have the firewall on. And yeah, I want the clipboard to be on, I would just like to get rid of the prompt. Googling yields nothing conclusive, surprisingly. I've tried digging through the advanced firewall rules but can't find anything. :/

It sounds like you're trying to connect by clicking on an rdp:// link from outside the trusted zone, so IE is throwing up a warning because that could be exploited to trick you into doing things you don't want to do.
You should instead connect with a command line option, or with the built-in "last used connections" that Windows 7 will display if you right click on the pinned Remote Desktop application in the task bar.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I have a folder full of .bmp files. Is there a sort of barebones application I can use to just batch-convert them to .pngs? Is there something out there that allows me to just right-click them and click "convert"?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Mak0rz posted:

I have a folder full of .bmp files. Is there a sort of barebones application I can use to just batch-convert them to .pngs? Is there something out there that allows me to just right-click them and click "convert"?

Irfanview is going to be your best friend here.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah as I said I can get to the login page OK

Ohh, I missed that part, skipped straight to "Service Unavailable," sorry. :shobon:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

madsushi posted:

Irfanview is going to be your best friend here.

Wow. I had no idea it can do this. After playing around with Irfanview I figured it out. Thanks!

PPills
Oct 5, 2004
Hello, I'm looking for a dvd cataloging software/organizer. I had been using Catfish (http://equi4.com/catfish/index.html) for the longest time, but I've grown tired of how you can't see the entire folder/filenames unless you click on it. As a result, It makes for very slow browsing for what I want.

Not to mention it I've been getting a, 'insufficient resources' error from time to time because the program is Win16 I think, and I found it quite odd that it would do this out of nowhere after all this time of never having a problem.

If you don't know what it does... I basically need one to keep track of what are on my burned dvds, such as filename (obviously), size, filetype, etc. I'll be using it for movies, but if you have recommendations for a better one with advanced features such as ones for specifically for movies (that retrieves info such as year) that would be great, too.

GOOD

Disclib (Disc Library)
Gentibus CD

NO GOOD: Some that I tried that I did not like because it had a problem one way or another:

DVD Chief - Appears to be especially for movies, downloads movie info and screenshots, red X'd where the covers is supposed to go, though. Puts them all together in one long list and doesn't say what disk they come from. Seems good, but simply not what I am looking to accomplish.

WinCatalog2013 - Great! Pretty much what I want but not free! :(

Visual CD - Eh looks great on first impression, but not simple and quick enough.

Stuff Organizer - Again, looks good. But copies the files upon scan to my PC. I just want to keep snapshot information.

Browsy - Uh... English please. I have no idea how to use this one, nor do I care. Next.

Offline CD Browser - Seems crappy and cheap. Maybe has potential but I don't want to bother.

InsideCat 5.00 - (Not Responding).... Too slowwwww. I have a few dozen DVDs to process. It would take forever. (Crash)

Primitive Disk Indexer - Each DVD is a seperate catalog and no way to search through them. Useless garbage to me.

Yeah, so 2 out of 10 were any good. I'm looking for other recommendations that anyone may have... I know someone here might know something... goons always come through in the clutch!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

peak debt posted:

It sounds like you're trying to connect by clicking on an rdp:// link from outside the trusted zone, so IE is throwing up a warning because that could be exploited to trick you into doing things you don't want to do.
You should instead connect with a command line option, or with the built-in "last used connections" that Windows 7 will display if you right click on the pinned Remote Desktop application in the task bar.
Actually I'm using mRemote, but I see that using mstsc (MS' lovely Remote Desktop client) doesn't show the warning. Maybe mRemote does it in a peculiar way.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is spyware still A Thing I have to worry about nowadays? I've used Spybot S&D ever since version 1.3 or so and it did do a pretty good job of catching poo poo. Now I'm on version 2.0 and it seems to be a piece of poo poo, mostly because it doesn't seem to want to update new definitions (unless the most recent ones are actually dated to January 16, 2013).

Is this even something I need anymore? Or is there a better spyware protection software out there?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I installed Windows 8 on the SSD for a new desktop I built. I harvested the old HDD from my previous desktop to use for bulk storage, and it still has Windows 7 installed on it. I would like to get rid of Windows 7 to free up some space--what's the best way to do it? Is it as simple as deleting the Windows folder on the HDD? Will programs that I had installed on the old HDD run correctly, or will I need to reinstall programs I want to use?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Mak0rz posted:

Is spyware still A Thing I have to worry about nowadays? I've used Spybot S&D ever since version 1.3 or so and it did do a pretty good job of catching poo poo. Now I'm on version 2.0 and it seems to be a piece of poo poo, mostly because it doesn't seem to want to update new definitions (unless the most recent ones are actually dated to January 16, 2013).

Is this even something I need anymore? Or is there a better spyware protection software out there?

Spyware/malware absolutely still is a thing, but S&D is pretty out of date and a reactionary protection. If you're on your own system, I'd recommend Secunia PSI to help you keep all the weird 3rd party stuff up to date in addition to Windows Updates. From there, a good anti-virus product is going to get most of your malware, browser toolbars, and the other crud.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

I installed Windows 8 on the SSD for a new desktop I built. I harvested the old HDD from my previous desktop to use for bulk storage, and it still has Windows 7 installed on it. I would like to get rid of Windows 7 to free up some space--what's the best way to do it? Is it as simple as deleting the Windows folder on the HDD? Will programs that I had installed on the old HDD run correctly, or will I need to reinstall programs I want to use?

You will need to re-install pretty much everything for it to run under Win8. Certain programs (Adobe CS, some MS Office programs) have to be deactivated from within the program to re-use the license, but programs like Steam are pretty forgiving if you click on the executable on an old drive.

Is there a particular reason why don't you just flatten the old drive so it will be empty?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
In OS X I can type special characters by pressing the alt/option key plus something else. For example alt+u+a gives me ä (alt+u says I want an umlaut on the letter a) and alt+a gives me å and so on. How do I emulate the same functionality in Windows with the same key combinations (only because of the fact that I'm used to them).

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 27, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Spyware/malware absolutely still is a thing, but S&D is pretty out of date and a reactionary protection. If you're on your own system, I'd recommend Secunia PSI to help you keep all the weird 3rd party stuff up to date in addition to Windows Updates. From there, a good anti-virus product is going to get most of your malware, browser toolbars, and the other crud.

That's really all I would need? I already have MSE for an antivirus. From what I see, Secunia is just a batch updater and not strictly a malware detector/remover. Is that right?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Mak0rz posted:

That's really all I would need? I already have MSE for an antivirus. From what I see, Secunia is just a batch updater and not strictly a malware detector/remover. Is that right?

That's right, but keep in mind that you want to update your software to keep exploits to a minimum so it's a good idea to have this anyway. You could try SuperAntiSpyware, but as said, I doubt it'll find much except cookies when you have a decent antivirus application running.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Grawl posted:

That's right, but keep in mind that you want to update your software to keep exploits to a minimum so it's a good idea to have this anyway. You could try SuperAntiSpyware, but as said, I doubt it'll find much except cookies when you have a decent antivirus application running.

Sounds good. I'll just stick with MSE and Secunia, then. Thanks for the info!

EDIT
Okay, now I'm having two more issues related to PSI. Updating things seem to be stuck in a state of perpetual updating, and something really odd is happening to the GUI (image):

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 28, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

In OS X I can type special characters by pressing the alt/option key plus something else. For example alt+u+a gives me ä (alt+u says I want an umlaut on the letter a) and alt+a gives me å and so on. How do I emulate the same functionality in Windows with the same key combinations (only because of the fact that I'm used to them).

I don't know about anything with the same key combinations, but you can change your input language to United States-International, which will create dead keys for diacritical marks and make your right-hand Alt key into AltGr for additional fancy things like ð and µ and poo poo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#US-International

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Yeah, most of the interface is Web-loaded (and rendered with Trident because any version of Windows that supports PSI has IE with it anyway). It needs internet access to do its scans so why not, right?

It's merely a graphic issue, not a functional one. It should be fine on next load, but you can use PSI well enough even if it isn't.