Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

IMG_5045_hires by charliebravo77, on Flickr
Kinda wish the grasses weren't in the foreground, maybe I'll attack them with photoshop at some point.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

charliebravo77 posted:

IMG_5045_hires by charliebravo77, on Flickr
Kinda wish the grasses weren't in the foreground, maybe I'll attack them with photoshop at some point.

This is gorgeous, I love the moody lighting.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

The Rat posted:

This is gorgeous, I love the moody lighting.

Thanks! Figures a thunderstorm would find me in the high desert of southern AZ, but at least it made for a cool photo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Choppy dark clouds are the best time to be in nature with a camera, the texture in the sky always looks cool.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Lincoln City by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

These are from Glacier National Park

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Landscap(ing)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
There's a british landscape photography conference that's being livestreamed. It's also running tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5wTX1IyxRI

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 3, 2018

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

IMG_9458

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

A few more neggies developed today.

Gnarled Tree by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

One Tree Hill Obelisk by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Woodhill by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Central Library by Cacator, on Flickr

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

just in awe of that toyota

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Routeburn Track - Lake Mackenzie

Kinda wish I took a tripod so I could have avoided all that noise, but they're not exactly easy to carry on a three day hike, and my pack weighed enough as it was

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 17, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Wafflecopper posted:

Kinda wish I took a tripod so I could have avoided all that noise, but they're not exactly easy to carry on a three day hike, and my pack weighed enough as it was

I like this one. The mountains peeking through the mist are lovely.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
First time actually doing exposure bracketing. Does this feel to "HDR" to anyone else? I can't decide .. some of me leans toward yes.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

mAlfunkti0n posted:

First time actually doing exposure bracketing. Does this feel to "HDR" to anyone else? I can't decide .. some of me leans toward yes.

its very uneven

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Can you elaborate more? I'm trying to nail down what it is in my head that I don't like. :(

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The light and dark parts are quite uneven and unnatural.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

It looks oddly dodged and burned in spots.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

alkanphel posted:

The light and dark parts are quite uneven and unnatural.

Yeah I guess that's what bugs me about it as well. The most decently exposed of the set just lacks the detail in the darks which is why I went for the blend. I need to play around more with the original to see if I can get what I want.

Edit:

Worked with another photo and I have better feelings about this one.

Green Mountain Trail by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 9, 2018

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yeah I guess that's what bugs me about it as well. The most decently exposed of the set just lacks the detail in the darks which is why I went for the blend. I need to play around more with the original to see if I can get what I want.

Edit:

Worked with another photo and I have better feelings about this one.

Green Mountain Trail by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

This photo feels a little flat to me but it is much easier to look at than the last which was HDR'd to the point of looking unnatural.

Your previous photo seemed to swap the focal points of the image by reversing the shadow/highlights. Your eye wants to look at the peak which should naturally be brighter than the dark green trees. But somehow the exposure bracketing made the peak dark and the dark trees really bright, especially for being in the lower right corner of the frame. It causes a weird dilemma where your eye now isn't quite sure where to go. I get drawn to the highlight areas of the image and end up staring at a bunch of trees that look like they're being shot up with light.

Your next image is 10x more pleasing to the eye because it seems natural. The lighting is flat but playing with slight exposure/luminance levels could easily change that.

Verman fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 9, 2018

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Verman posted:

This photo feels a little flat to me but it is much easier to look at than the last which was HDR'd to the point of looking unnatural.

Yeah it's much easier on the eyes, I am ashamed of the HDR one at this point. It was super overcast the day this was shot so I am not sure if there is any bringing it back from the brink of flatness. Happy to hear suggestions if there are.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I am ashamed of the HDR one at this point.

Ah, good, the system works.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

GrandpaPants posted:

Ah, good, the system works.

I honestly wasn't going for the normal hdr look. Somehow it just ended up that way. I don't know why I didn't pay attention to my gut in the first place, it didn't feel right from the moment I started working on it.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I want to say I'm improving, but looking through the past couple pages has me floored. Some genuinely amazing photographers in the thread.

Here's the few shots from my last trip I thought turned out well.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
It may seem like the crap all over the artist's sensor would portray his carefree nature but if you look closely you will notice the hidden symbology that clearly shows the artist is a member of the Cult of the Fart Huffer.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
That's in the lens, sadly. But I'm poor and that was the cheapest 28mm I could get at my local shop. Get what you pay for.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Vinestalk posted:

That's in the lens, sadly. But I'm poor and that was the cheapest 28mm I could get at my local shop. Get what you pay for.

It's on your sensor. It wouldn't be that sharp or defined if it were in the lens. Clean your sensor.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I trust the advice and I'll get it cleaned. But I don't see the same thread or dust in this shot. Same day, different lens (worse photo)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's because dust moves around, especially if the camera has an auto cleaning function.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Vinestalk posted:

I trust the advice and I'll get it cleaned. But I don't see the same thread or dust in this shot. Same day, different lens (worse photo)

Because you only see dust when the lens is stopped down to a small aperture. It looks like that photo used a larger aperture, judging by the shallow depth of field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Probably don't have to get it cleaned by someone else if its just dust. Use whatever cleaning mode your body has to open the shutter and lock the mirror up. Point the body facing down so that gravity is your friend and give it a few puffs with a bulb blower. Don't use that canned air crap, you don't want propellant all up in your camera's guts.

Verify your cleaning by attaching a lens, stopping your aperture down real small and pointing the camera at something bright and uniform like the daytime sky. Specs of dust will be quite visible with a tiny aperture.