Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm going with The Natural Born Thrillers being worse than MIA.

What a loving awesome but wasted stable name. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

There's an argument for "worst stable" in terms of wasted potential but most of those (League of Nations, Nexus, Latino World Order)

dude what

the lWo was great

OK not really "great" but at least they were doing something with those guys and it was memorable. Honestly I'd argue for the Filthy Animals being much worse than the lWo. The Animals were talented and should have been an awesome group, but I can't remember any of their promos even remotely making sense or what the point of the group existing was. With the lWo, they made sense, there was a point to it, I understood what the group was about and what their goals (or really Eddy's goals) were.

ETA: Also, the Filthy Animals fall under the "pretty much everything under Russo was bad" category. I remember he had a lot of stans back in the day too. To this day I think it is under-stated just how terrible Russo and all of his ideas were.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The problem with the Filthy Animals was that...
A) Eddy left.
B) Unmasked Rey.
C) It went on too drat long even after it became an afterthought because the alternative was pushing them as individual talents and gently caress that apparently.
D) Their feud with The Revolution went on far too long and everybody was an rear end in a top hat in it (That's not 'shades of gray' that's 'everybody is a goddamn heel and there is no rooting interest')

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

rujasu posted:

dude what

the lWo was great

OK not really "great" but at least they were doing something with those guys and it was memorable. Honestly I'd argue for the Filthy Animals being much worse than the lWo. The Animals were talented and should have been an awesome group, but I can't remember any of their promos even remotely making sense or what the point of the group existing was. With the lWo, they made sense, there was a point to it, I understood what the group was about and what their goals (or really Eddy's goals) were.
Maybe I'm mixing up storylines but didn't the Latino World Order basically last about two months and the only real storyline was "Eddy and interchangable lucha guys who didn't really do anything except gang beat Rey Mysterio for refusing to join the Latino World Order."

Eddy beat Rey, Rey was forced to join, and then two weeks later Eddy was out with an injury and the NWO Wolfpac told everyone to take off their LWO shirts because they were the only group in town, and everyone agreed except Rey, who cannot deny MIS COLORES that he did not want to be a part of, so he got beat down by the Wolfpac and that started the angle that led to him losing his mask to Kevin Nash and Scott Hall.

I'm not sure any of it counts as doing anything with any of them, except Eddy and Rey. It is mostly memorable to me for the shirt (which is great, I still have one) and the entire vibe of the scene who lost a match to be forced into a stable glumly wearing the stable's shirt for 4-5 weeks and then refusing to take the shirt he was forced to wear off.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

What I'm saying is, they could have done a lot more with lWo, but at least I got the point of it. You had a bunch of lucha guys who couldn't do promos and you put them behind a guy who was good on the mic. Those other stables shouldn't have existed to begin with.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

lWo was hosed by their name, but "all the Mexicans are heels" was a poo poo idea anyway, particularly because it started out with Eddie telling off Eric Bischoff, which was huge considering midcard guys didn't get to interact with the uppercard ever in WCW at the time and Bischoff was managing the main-event heels.

It also had a worked-shoot element to it, because I don't think until that moment, it was ever acknowledged that Bischoff was the president of WCW, so that was a little confusing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

An Actual Bear posted:

What's great about Luger is even in late 99 when WCW got Russo'd he was still entertaining as one of many who stopped giving a single poo poo about anything. No fucks given Lex is best Lex. Try and tell me that that time he pretended to have fallen over and hurt his knee isn't the best bad acting in wrestling history.

That's the sad part, the "Total Package" Luger was a really fun promo but by that point his body was shot.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

Other Worst Stable Facts:

[Yo You Dealin' With the] X-Factor managed to get wins over a bunch of jobbers, the Dudley Boys, K-Kwik, Steve Blackman, the Hardyz ft. Eddie Guerrero, and the APA.

In their brief run, the Natural Born Thrillers went over against Rey Mysterio, Diamond Dallas Page, Kevin Nash, Kanyon, Lex Luger, Rick Steiner, Tank Abbott, Lance Storm, Mike Awesome, Jim Duggan, Booker T, Bam Bam Bigelow, Curt Hennig, Buff Bagwell, Ernest Miller, etc. etc.

I think that's a solid argument for "worse than any of the other groups mentioned" on that level. There's an argument for "worst stable" in terms of wasted potential but most of those (League of Nations, Nexus, Latino World Order) are cases of mishandling good talent as opposed to pushing awful talent.

X-Factor and Misfits in Action I would argue, while being dumb, are at least using most of the people involved to their potential.

NBT have to be the worst stable among these for almost killing Paul Orndorff.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Lone Goat posted:

i remember liking LeRoux at the time and it was mostly based on the sideburns

His finisher, a floatover cravate Russian legsweep thing, was pretty dope. I'm kind of surprised nobody else has picked it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0UAwkl9Li8

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

LividLiquid posted:

lWo was hosed by their name, but "all the Mexicans are heels" was a poo poo idea anyway, particularly because it started out with Eddie telling off Eric Bischoff, which was huge considering midcard guys didn't get to interact with the uppercard ever in WCW at the time and Bischoff was managing the main-event heels.

It also had a worked-shoot element to it, because I don't think until that moment, it was ever acknowledged that Bischoff was the president of WCW, so that was a little confusing.

It would have been a better idea if said main-event heels were willing to work with the lwo.
But they weren't.
So they were left to twist in the wind.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
NBT at least had a legitimate prospect in Sean O'Haire and were all really green so you could excuse them being bad.

The MIA were veterans and seriously the last 3 months of that stable are beyond atrocious. If you are watching along with Bryan and Vinny you'll be stunned how long they stay together and how dumb the ending is.

And before that you get the moment where Huge Erection wins the US title and gets this big tribute moment in the ring and the crowd does not give a poo poo.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Major Stash should have joined The Filthy Animals so he could team with Juvi some more.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

And before that you get the moment where Huge Erection wins the US title
Do you think that's funny? Do you think that's humorous?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MassRafTer posted:

NBT at least had a legitimate prospect in Sean O'Haire and were all really green so you could excuse them being bad.

The MIA were veterans and seriously the last 3 months of that stable are beyond atrocious. If you are watching along with Bryan and Vinny you'll be stunned how long they stay together and how dumb the ending is.

And before that you get the moment where Huge Erection wins the US title and gets this big tribute moment in the ring and the crowd does not give a poo poo.

Natural Born Thrillers also had Coach Nash, until they turned on him.

I feel like Jindrak and Palumbo were also pretty decent prospects.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's the sad part, the "Total Package" Luger was a really fun promo but by that point his body was shot.
the totalled package

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Halloween Jack posted:

Do you think that's funny? Do you think that's humorous?

I don't want to admit how old I was when I realised that Hugh Morris was Humorous but it was older than 20. I was a full grown adult.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrBling posted:

Coach Nash was great.

MIA was also better than the Social Outcasts and DOA.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

forkboy84 posted:

I don't want to admit how old I was when I realised that Hugh Morris was Humorous but it was older than 20. I was a full grown adult.

I was 30+ when I realised that Paul Bearer was a pun name, but my defense is always that English isn't my first language.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MrBling posted:

Jindrak ended up having a good career for himself even though he was always pretty bad so I can accept that. I was shocked when I rewatched how short Coach Nash lasted. The Insiders vs NBT resulted in one really good match too.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

the only truly bad part of NBT was he who shall not be named, and everyone else was as you said green guys who were thrown into the upper midcard because they needed bodies.

the only good part of MIA was Chavo, but he was almost never used. and to give DeMott some credit, he was a goddamned physical mess that the company kept successfully goading him into sticking around so that at least had a veteran guy to book after most left. Demott in 2000 could not climb a staircase because of all of his concussions

also you make me remember that during the bangtown wat h of triumphant Hugh Rection tribute, they also had the entirety of the babyface locker room on the stage and when we watched in Bangtown we identified literally every wrestler except for Robbie Rage because we forgot High Voltage still worked for WCW in 2000

Edge & Christian posted:

Maybe I'm mixing up storylines but didn't the Latino World Order basically last about two months and the only real storyline was "Eddy and interchangable lucha guys who didn't really do anything except gang beat Rey Mysterio for refusing to join the Latino World Order."

it was like 3 months, it was started in October and then forcibly ended after Eddie got into that horrible car accident around New Year's that got him hooked on pain pills and led to his later issues and death

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Magnificent Seven, New Blood, and nWo 2000 are all worse than MIA or the NBT, so I don't know why we keep debating this.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

The Magnificent Seven, New Blood, and nWo 2000 are all worse than MIA or the NBT, so I don't know why we keep debating this.

None of those stables lasted more than 4 months and at least had some good talent and matches associated with them.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

the only truly bad part of NBT was he who shall not be named

Wait, who's this? I feel like I'm missing something big. Or is that :thejoke:?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The New Blood was led by three of the worst bookers in wrestling history. I'll grant that they were big enough that they could have matches where JJ was not even mentioned on commentary.

nWo 2000 contained JJ and actual Nazis. The only way they could have been any worse was to bring in Buck Zumhofe as their manager.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Wait, who's this? I feel like I'm missing something big. Or is that :thejoke:?

I assume he means Mike Sanders but he could also mean Reno. Both were really bad but Sanders was the one WCW fell in love with and put all over the shows even though he wasn't ready.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

MassRafTer posted:

I assume he means Mike Sanders but he could also mean Reno. Both were really bad but Sanders was the one WCW fell in love with and put all over the shows even though he wasn't ready.

Ah okay, fair enough. And yes, you're right, they were both real bad.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Did The Cat get better over time, or did everything around him just get worse?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

He was better as a face authority figure than a heel authority figure, but whether it was just being less bad or good depends on how much you like the racist skits with the Dragons.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
The best Mike Sanders story is the fact that he got fired from WWF for not shaking HHH's hand backstage.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Is there a particular episode of Nitro that was so great you just think “oh man if only it had always been like this”. I mean there are probably a bunch but is there one that really sticks out

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

Is there a particular episode of Nitro that was so great you just think “oh man if only it had always been like this”. I mean there are probably a bunch but is there one that really sticks out

i can't remember a specific one, but some of those 97 ones were loving awesome.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah there was a short time frame there where Nitro was exciting to look forward to each week because you legit had no idea what crazy poo poo would happen or who would show up - and you also knew you'd see some of the best cruiserweights in the world along with tag teams and performers from everywhere etc

They had something for everyone for a year or two there

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah there was a short time frame there where Nitro was exciting to look forward to each week because you legit had no idea what crazy poo poo would happen or who would show up

And the random amazing lower card matches from the best collection of talent the industry had ever seen.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I have fond feelings towards the lWo and Filty Animals. Of the two, I kinda wish lWo would come back in some form and act as a US booking office for luchadors independent of their home offices. Just cut out all the political bullshit and get these fuckers paid.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP posted:

Nitro 100 where Luger won the belt.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Reno mostly, Sanders got an over push but that was because he was the only one who was a bad promo, compared to everyone else who was horrible to abysmal

Halloween Jack posted:

a little of a, a little of b

being a babyface authority really was his calling, since he could dance for a cheap pop, look like a badass against the lower card, and not have to wrestle a lot

that being said everything else went off a cliff in 2000, as it put more eyes on him

jesus WEP posted:

it's really hard to find any in 2000, probably the Australia tour for Nitro in September, since it was a reminder to what it used to be. Unfortunately that was also the tour that saw Juvi go on a PCP field hotel rampage, leading to him getting canned. And then to make matters worse in the US, this was when they stopped booking separate dates for Thunder, leading to 4 or 5 hour TV taping sessions (Nitro first, Thunder second)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fart blood posted:

The best Mike Sanders story is the fact that he got fired from WWF for not shaking HHH's hand backstage.

It wasn't even backstage. According to Sanders, he was at a diner with a couple other guys, was using crutches at the time, and didn't get up because it was super physically awkward for him to do so.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I liked Chuck Palumbo and his big hair

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It wasn't even backstage. According to Sanders, he was at a diner with a couple other guys, was using crutches at the time, and didn't get up because it was super physically awkward for him to do so.

HHH was the one on crutches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
This Mike Sanders/Triple H handshake story comes up every few years in the Wrestling Questions thread and it's hilarious that it goes the same way every goddamn time.