Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
4-II is a bunch of separate sidestories and it has none of the content of 4 DX. The CAW mode is also a combat arena tower. It also has one extra character (Ii Naomasa). They're essentially different games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

4-II is basically the Extreme Legends add on for 4 but without the ability to link it to the original game because they lost a court case to Capcom or something

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

4-II is basically the Extreme Legends add on for 4 but without the ability to link it to the original game because they lost a court case to Capcom or something
That was Capcom having sued Koei Tecmo for infringing a patent for "methods for unlocking bonus content when the DVD-ROM of the latest title of a game series is set in a game console, by placing the DVD-ROM of the previous title of the game series into the console." Koei Tecmo counter-sued seeking to invalidate Capcom's patents (the other being for controller vibration when an enemy is nearby and off-screen), lost the counter-suit(s) when the Japan Patent Office upheld both patents, and then lost both its appeal(s) thereof at the Intellectual Property High Court and the original lawsuit from Capcom.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 19, 2024

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I kind of never understood that, since XL as a concept has been around since the PS2 era. DW3XL was released in 2003, and I don't even know what Capcom used it for. I'm guessing this is just patent fuckery?

Not to mention that XL on disc as a concept doesn't make sense in the PS3/4 era to me - SW2XL was Xbox Marketplace DLC on the 360 so I don't know why they didn't do that for games going forward. It was nice not to have to the disc-swap fuckery. If you want to sell discs, go ahead and do that and offer a download version IMO.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sometimes i'm amazed that intellectual property ever gets released at all

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

So I’m guessing I missed out on a whole lot of stuff, since I bought SW 4-II a couple of years ago (for $75 CAD :shepspends:). I was pretty disappointed by it, mainly due to how linear the stories felt and the lack of characters. Would it be worth checking out OG SW? I only have a PS4 + Switch, no PC, so it doesn’t appear I can get the DX version.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
SW4 is definitely a better game than SW4-2 in terms of story modes.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I did play the original SW4. Is 4 DX just 4 + Chronicle? Are there rebalances or more game modes at least? I did like the SW4 story and was a little disappointed with 4-II's offerings.

That said, it seems impossible to make Mitsunari Ishida cool, even if they gave him a tragic boyfriend (Otani)

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Lily Catts posted:

I did play the original SW4. Is 4 DX just 4 + Chronicle? Are there rebalances or more game modes at least? I did like the SW4 story and was a little disappointed with 4-II's offerings.

That said, it seems impossible to make Mitsunari Ishida cool, even if they gave him a tragic boyfriend (Otani)

If literally anyone but Mitsunari Ishida was the head of the Western Army history probably would have taken a very different turn, but man did a lot of people hate Mitsunari Ishida.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
https://x.com/Wario64/status/1796304451806052461?t=sjnCllUIq2wzngPPKNIodg&s=19

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU48saHVmh4

One character using multiple movesets being referred to as "a nameless hero" makes me think this is going to be focusing on a create-a-character. Curious to see how this'll turn out.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Spinoff then? Could be a good base to build a full roster DW later on the same engine.

Might be pulling a bit from Kessen/Bladestorm as well given it looks like there's a small unit following player / archer orders - though unclear if this is just NPC ally in general

lurksion fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 30, 2024

Reive
May 21, 2009

Truxton posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU48saHVmh4

One character using multiple movesets being referred to as "a nameless hero" makes me think this is going to be focusing on a create-a-character. Curious to see how this'll turn out.

This looks sick.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
John Musou

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Looks cool, but I’ll probably get it even if it’s bad

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So it's basically Wo Long: (Fallen) Dynasty Warriors, then?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The Samurai Warriors Chronicles games on 3ds did that and I enjoyed it there, so I don't mind it again. As long as they don't genderlock the movesets again, that was the only thing that bugged me.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Still not enough of a reason to get PS5 for me, but it does look great.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

Still not enough of a reason to get PS5 for me, but it does look great.

Good news! The non-Sony version of the trailer confirms Xbox and Steam.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Darth Walrus posted:

So it's basically Wo Long: (Fallen) Dynasty Warriors, then?

As long as it plays like dw and not wo long I'm down

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I saw the trailer for the new warriors game which reminded me that I bought dynasty warriors 8's pc version a while ago but bounced off it early on because the PC port handled controls pretty badly. (I hadn't played any musou games before but it looked fun)
Even when I plugged a gamepad in it was iirc just doing the min-effort-pc-game thing of "press the parry button to parry" with onscreen prompts instead of showing the actual button which is always super confusing and unhelpful. Or maybe it was saying "press gamepad button 12" which is not much better.

Is there a mod somewhere to add the regular console button prompts back in? Or else does anyone else here have any tips on wrangling DW8's pc port?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Completely random thought but I remembered that I played Bladestorm at one point and I was very surprised at how much I liked it.

I wish there was something else that played in a similar way.
I always liked the tactics and map control parts of Musou games the most, which is why DW8E is the Musou I spent the most time playing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Completely random thought but I remembered that I played Bladestorm at one point and I was very surprised at how much I liked it.

I wish there was something else that played in a similar way.
I always liked the tactics and map control parts of Musou games the most, which is why DW8E is the Musou I spent the most time playing.

Fire emblem three hopes was kinda fun for this too, you picked 4 playable characters and could swap freely between them and order them around the map, it made you feel a little more like you were in control of a battle instead of just a guy running around bonking people. The tactics layer was very thin, but it was fun flavor that it was there at all.

And yeah bladestorm is a unique game for sure, i wish more games would try to do what it tried to do. I remembered liking it too but I installed the steam version and whoof it is rough

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Fire emblem three hopes was kinda fun for this too, you picked 4 playable characters and could swap freely between them and order them around the map, it made you feel a little more like you were in control of a battle instead of just a guy running around bonking people. The tactics layer was very thin, but it was fun flavor that it was there at all.

And yeah bladestorm is a unique game for sure, i wish more games would try to do what it tried to do. I remembered liking it too but I installed the steam version and whoof it is rough

I'd love a Musou game with a more developed tactics layer like Three Hopes had, but not quite as in-depth as an Empires game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I never played DW9 or DW9E.
Are any of them even worth touching at all?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
People have said that 9 is better now, but it’s still not a good one. Probably worth it if it’s discounted enough if you really need a musou hit.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I never played DW9 or DW9E.
Are any of them even worth touching at all?

9, absolutely not. 9E maybe if you can get it for like 20 bucks or less. The way that it makes every battle a castle siege, with the option to choose an officer’s strategy that gives you optional objectives that result in rotk poo poo like fire attacks or ambushes or whatever is a fun change of pace for a while but it quickly gets repetitive. I ended up going back to 8E as the game I play when I need a musou empires fix

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
While I understand why, I was really depressed when I realized 8 Empires has no english voicing (and that the Orochi games stopped having it after 2). It really dulls the fun for me, it takes me out of the action when I have to look down and read what everyone's saying instead of being able to simply listen while I continue to go about my murder-business.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I've got 9E on my Deku Deals watchlist and it's hit $35 on PSN a couple of times. If it ever goes below $30 I'll probably pick it up and give it a shot. On the other hand, regular ol' DW9 has been on PS Extra for almost a year and I haven't even bothered to try it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have, it's bad

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

9E convinced me to give 9 another chance and yeah it’s just bad. Hopefully they learned something from making it at least

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Was 9 any good on the storytelling front, or does 7 reign supreme in that regard and none other?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played with the Chinese VO option and was too distracted by them having total two male voices and one female voice to pay any attention to the story.

From what I remember it was like trying to follow the story of an MMO told via quest pop up text boxes.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
9 is pretty bad but I think it's fascinating and I'm glad they tried to go wild even if they ate absolute poo poo

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mikeycp posted:

9 is pretty bad but I think it's fascinating and I'm glad they tried to go wild even if they ate absolute poo poo

One thing I’ll give it is that I think they’re on to something with the combat system, but it is not at all there yet. I am finding the normal normal charge attack system of musou to get a little tedious (honestly sometimes I play 8 with auto assist on to let the game pick moves for me, just as a change of pace) and i feel like 9 tried to make it a little more reactive by having so many opportunities for counter attacks but unfortunately it is very shallow and boring in its own way and just boils down to “spam abilities and press triangle when the game tells you to” for the most part.

But there’s a seed of an interesting idea there i feel like. I like the idea of wading into a crowd of mooks and having to react to what i see instead of just spamming the appropriate combo. Sort of like a light Arkham combat system I guess. I dunno I’m not a game dev

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

One thing I’ll give it is that I think they’re on to something with the combat system, but it is not at all there yet. I am finding the normal normal charge attack system of musou to get a little tedious (honestly sometimes I play 8 with auto assist on to let the game pick moves for me, just as a change of pace) and i feel like 9 tried to make it a little more reactive by having so many opportunities for counter attacks but unfortunately it is very shallow and boring in its own way and just boils down to “spam abilities and press triangle when the game tells you to” for the most part.
I believe that it got further iterated on in at least one of the SW4 spin-offs (SW4-II?) and in SW5, but by then the brand damage was done. That, and "react to what i see instead of just spamming the appropriate combo" ended up being Wo Long, which some believe the new game to have been inspired by...

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
SW4-2 and SW5 are still just using the old system. DW9's combat is just unique to itself. One thing I will say about DW9's combat though, your mileage will just kinda vary based on which character you pick, and the game kinda pushes you to pick characters who have super boring movesets to begin with in DW9 initially, and some weapons just feel bad.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 2, 2024

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Im realizing now that the game I want is just shadow of Mordor

So I guess i hope the next DW game is that, but with big aoe moves that clear out groups

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Chortles posted:

Was 9 any good on the storytelling front, or does 7 reign supreme in that regard and none other?

9 has its moments but no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

While I understand why, I was really depressed when I realized 8 Empires has no english voicing (and that the Orochi games stopped having it after 2). It really dulls the fun for me, it takes me out of the action when I have to look down and read what everyone's saying instead of being able to simply listen while I continue to go about my murder-business.

For what it's worth, I really did love the English VA work and I miss it quite a bit. I sort of tuned it out by the end (because there's only so many times you can take a character's variation on things they did), but it still sucks!