Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

IceAgeComing posted:

This is part of a wider study: in which Indonesia was 28th, one place ahead of France. That's the reason why there are gaps in the numbering btw!

Uh, something to do with recreational opioids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

That's bullshit, the whole western part we took from Mexico was almost uninhabited by Mexicans. They "owned" it but only a few thousands of families actually lived there. They were vastly outnumbered by English speakers.

English speakers in California before 1800? What on Earth are you talking about? Spanish immigration, and the colonization and conversion of the locals began as far back as the start 18th century when France & Britain were still duking it out over the Eastern US and Canada, the Russians began colonizing Alaska and Spain rushing north to meet them.

It wasn't until the gold rush that American, English, and Chinese immigrants began to show up in any significant numbers.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

IceAgeComing posted:

talking of Denmark being good at something

Guess what they are very good at!

Percentage of pieces of ikea furniture per household.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Boiled Water posted:

Percentage of pieces of ikea furniture per household.
Since it's proficiency bands, it would have to be proficiency at assembling IKEA furniture.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Can't be that with the low score of Germany.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Boiled Water posted:

Can't be that with the low score of Germany.
Germany is full of Turks, who are of course notoriously shoddy builders of IKEA furniture.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is that why Turks end up sitting on the floor?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

TheImmigrant posted:

I wasn't clear that I meant Spanish as a language. Spanish-speakers (term distinguishable from Spaniards) are only considered unequivocally white in Europe.

I don't actually think a black or nearly-black Spanish or Portugese speaker from South America would be considered white in Europe

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Where does that leave people from the French Flanders (Chtis!)

Catholic, therefore untermenschen

At least by American WASP standards. I'm not sure if the Nazis considered Lutherans More White

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Its apparently English Language proficiency: its a random study I found this evening that I lost the link to which looked at how well English was taught as a language in certain countries and thus how good the general standard of English is in certain countries around the world. It fits my biased misconceptions: the Poland thing I can vouch for a bit since I have a weird accent (part Central Scottish, part Southern English) and I usually have trouble getting people to understand me yet I didn't really in Krakow. Incidentally Poland is the most improved nation in the latest version of the study...

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

I don't actually think a black or nearly-black Spanish or Portugese speaker from South America would be considered white in Europe

I'm having trouble getting this idea across. Only European Spanish-speakers (Spaniards) are as a rule considered white. Yes, there are white Mexicans (my ex is one), but they probably number no more than 10% of the population. The vast majority of Spanish-speakers in the Americas are mestizo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think Europeans wouldn't be so obsessed with classifying them as white / not white? At least I don't remember any Latin American ever having trouble fitting in.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I think Europeans wouldn't be so obsessed with classifying them as white / not white? At least I don't remember any Latin American ever having trouble fitting in.

In Europe? Ever been to Spain? Tell me how well Ecuadoreans fit in there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheImmigrant posted:

In Europe? Ever been to Spain? Tell me how well Ecuadoreans fit in there.

I don't know about Spain - I know about Central Europe, and that I've met lots of people from across South America who fit in seamlessly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

IceAgeComing posted:

Its apparently English Language proficiency:
That explains why the UK didn't even get on the list :haw:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

IceAgeComing posted:

Its apparently English Language proficiency: its a random study I found this evening that I lost the link to which looked at how well English was taught as a language in certain countries and thus how good the general standard of English is in certain countries around the world. It fits my biased misconceptions: the Poland thing I can vouch for a bit since I have a weird accent (part Central Scottish, part Southern English) and I usually have trouble getting people to understand me yet I didn't really in Krakow. Incidentally Poland is the most improved nation in the latest version of the study...

That's what I thought at first, I know France has significantly worse English than you would expect, but Poland seemed odd to me. I guess they just have really good English education there

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

icantfindaname posted:

That's what I thought at first, I know France has significantly worse English than you would expect, but Poland seemed odd to me. I guess they just have really good English education there

The reason former Soviet bloc countries have improved their English proficiency so fast, is because they look up to USA after being under the Russian yoke for so long.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Poland in particular hates Russia and is enthusiastically pro-US.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

karl fungus posted:

Poland in particular hates Russia and is enthusiastically pro-US.

So they finally ran out of countries in Europe to look up to until they're inevitably betrayed? :v:

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Pretty much everyone's been loving with or loving over Poland for centuries, so yeah.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Anosmoman posted:

They should do it for Europe too but wars have broken out for less over here.

Down with... Idaho? :raise:

Also, lol at the sudden darkening of New Jersey.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

IceAgeComing posted:

LEGOs per capita.

As an aside, I find the color scheme and off-white background used in this map to be extremely soothing. It's a really nice looking graphic!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Anosmoman posted:

They should do it for Europe too but wars have broken out for less over here.

Shocked by how low Florida is here.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

IceAgeComing posted:

I on the other hand find the disappearance of northwestern Africa to be very unsettling.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Badger of Basra posted:

Shocked by how low Florida is here.

Despite everything half of the east coast still vacations regularly in Florida and associate it with good feelings.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah. As unpopular as Florida is in the public consciousness it's still the playground/retirement home of the whole east coast.

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

karl fungus posted:

Pretty much everyone's been loving with or loving over Poland for centuries, so yeah.

This, except every country in Europe with a victim complex. So every country in Europe.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Panas posted:

This, except every country in Europe with a victim complex. So every country in Europe.

This is hilariously true.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So they finally ran out of countries in Europe to look up to until they're inevitably betrayed? :v:

A couple of years down the line Putin invades Poland on his way to restoring the Soviet Union without the pretend-communism; America, totally drained by internal unrest and half-dozen more unnecessary brown people murder-sprees (a healthy mix of domestic and overseas varieties) peaces out. Poland completes the betrayal deck and reaches apotheosis.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Panas posted:

I dunno, how did Monaco gently caress over Poland?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
By being a tax haven, but that's how Monaco fucks all of Europe so Poland shouldn't feel too special about it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

DrSunshine posted:

I dunno, how did Monaco gently caress over Poland?

Stole their flag.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

steinrokkan posted:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

What's up with that Brazilian guy.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

the jizz taxi posted:

What's up with that Brazilian guy.

It's Ronaldo.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Trench_Rat posted:

-Big Picture-
The conflict of "White or not-white" makes more sense if you think about the white race as less of a genetic heritage, and more like a kind of cool boys club that everyone wants to be a part of. The rules of the club say that you need to have an ancestor who was part of the club at some point to be a member, so everyone makes up convoluted stories about how their great grandparents were part of the club. But regardless of the authenticity behind the stories, nothing actually really changes, because in reality the ancestor rule is just a bunch of made up bullshit to justify not letting everyone into the club, and staying a member is all about how the powerful people in the club happen to feel about you on that particular day. :ssh:

If you want to bring this back to the whole "Are Hispanics white or not" thing: The European Spanish are white because they are "cool" with the rest of the nations in the EU and AFAIK they aren't immigrating in large numbers to other Euro countries (Or at least, not large enough numbers to beat other primary immigrant groups). However, in the United States, Hispanic people form a large part of the immigrant population, which makes them not cool with our resident wealthy WASPs who dislike the idea of scary looking poor people walking nearby their gated communities. The natural conclusion of this is that Hispanics aren't really "white" anymore in the United States.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VerdantSquire posted:

If you want to bring this back to the whole "Are Hispanics white or not" thing: The European Spanish are white because they are "cool" with the rest of the nations in the EU and AFAIK they aren't immigrating in large numbers to other Euro countries (Or at least, not large enough numbers to beat other primary immigrant groups). However, in the United States, Hispanic people form a large part of the immigrant population, which makes them not cool with our resident wealthy WASPs who dislike the idea of scary looking poor people walking nearby their gated communities. The natural conclusion of this is that Hispanics aren't really "white" anymore in the United States.

Considering many Southern/Eastern European groups began to be considered "truly white" around the time their migrations slowed down, this checks out.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I really hated this until it got to Georgia and then I laughed.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

computer parts posted:

Considering many Southern/Eastern European groups began to be considered "truly white" around the time their migrations slowed down, this checks out.

My take on it is that they started being considered "white" when people from more geographically/culturally distant ethnic groups starting immigrating in great numbers. In France (to which a lot of immigrants came from Italy, Spain and Portugual), that's people from the Maghreb and Sub-Saharan Africa. Which isn't to say that it's the only reason.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Peanut President posted:

I really hated this until it got to Georgia and then I laughed.

I don't get the elf joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kurtofan posted:

I don't get the elf joke

Skyrim, I think.