Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

Reinforce the poo poo out of the neck, corian doesn't like to flex too much!

I'm cool with this as those woods have been over-harvested to poo poo, the only reason Rosewood was originally used for electrics was because it was cheap. Lots of other options out there! It's not like man-made fretboard materials are a new thing, it's been around for ages
I'll put some graphite rods in it when I do it.
I have enough of the stuff I could make the whole neck out of corian If I wanted to. I have enough to make a body as well but it would weigh a ton.
I have a fretless neck already that has a ebonol fretboard. I'm all for alternative materials and construction techniques.
Mostly because it's funny to see the blues dads lose their poo poo about it.
The coolest forum for that has been the TDPRI forums while the yearly build off is going on.
Guys there are building bodies out of anything they can get their hands on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dirt posted:

All Strats/Teles should be Antigua or Surf Green with maple.

That sure is a weird way to spell Daphne blue

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Weird BIAS posted:

Wow Paul McCartney is a prick.

What's he done now?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Shugojin posted:

Also acceptable.

Also Olympic White.

Antigua is really the best option though

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Allen Wren posted:

What's he done now?

Concatenation posted:

Bluesdads + IoSM + MILLENNNIIAALLLLLSSSSSS :argh:

As a bonus the guy replying in grey owns the largest ESP dealership in the country.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Shell Pink. :colbert:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
what's all this happy horseshit about strat colors that aren't black on black with maple fretboard

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

what's all this happy horseshit about strat colors that aren't black on black with maple fretboard

Black is a terrible color though

Antigua dude

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shugojin posted:

but that's velma not daphne

also it's kinda tacky but i really like rondo's oceanburst and i've been debating a custom LP from them for a while now...

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Bleh black or sunburst always makes me think of babbys first guitar. I'm all in for surf green or Daphne blue. Also the best fender shape is always always jaguar

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I want this with a hard tail. How hosed am I?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Shugojin posted:

That sure is a weird way to spell Daphne blue midnight wine

FTFY

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Thumposaurus posted:

I'll put some graphite rods in it when I do it.
I have enough of the stuff I could make the whole neck out of corian If I wanted to. I have enough to make a body as well but it would weigh a ton.
I have a fretless neck already that has a ebonol fretboard. I'm all for alternative materials and construction techniques.
Mostly because it's funny to see the blues dads lose their poo poo about it.
The coolest forum for that has been the TDPRI forums while the yearly build off is going on.
Guys there are building bodies out of anything they can get their hands on.

Sweet... What colour is it? I got some 'Aztec Gold' Corian a while back, makes great nuts but it looks like vomit. No one wants vomit coloured nuts :(.

TDPRI forums are pretty cool, probably the best guitar forum around. One of the forums I go on just had a bunch of people leave because ~*tonewood*~ (the original thread was about someone using rosewood for a p-90 bobbin, then someone started making one out of oak offcuts and it went nutty).

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 8, 2016

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Guys. I think we can all agree that this is the One True Strat finish:

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
:agreed:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

Sweet... What colour is it? I got some 'Aztec Gold' Corian a while back, makes great nuts but it looks like vomit. No one wants vomit coloured nuts :(.

TDPRI forums are pretty cool, probably the best guitar forum around. One of the forums I go on just had a bunch of people leave because ~*tonewood*~ (the original thread was about someone using rosewood for a p-90 bobbin, then someone started making one out of oak offcuts and it went nutty).

Solid white and a blue/black with specks of white and other blues in it.
The blue one is the one I'd use for the fretboard of course.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

I got carried away playing today and after a few hours callouses began to turn to painful blisters upon blisters, so I took a break and had a clear out. I stumbled upon something I was sent a year ago and never got round to doing anything with. Now fixed.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

If it didn't have that tacky-rear end gold hardware on it I'm really not that mad compared to some of the other poo poo I've seen in here

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Looks like some of the older Carvin custom ordered stuff :blush:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I got carried away playing today and after a few hours callouses began to turn to painful blisters upon blisters, so I took a break and had a clear out. I stumbled upon something I was sent a year ago and never got round to doing anything with. Now fixed.

I love these so much, I send them out with wiring harnesses/pickups as a freebie.

Weirdass guitar time!

Microfrets Orbirter

Apparently this is a "50's Multivox Custom"

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Dirt posted:

Antigua dude

See you and raise you:

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

The first fret block inlay is another crime against humanity

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

So I bought this Aria yesterday for silly cheap, thinking it was an old original....

it isn't. Apparently they made them again around 2010?

Anyway it feels, sounds and plays nice, I'm thinking it should go sonic blue? Don't really like dark guitars.

Any suggestions for interesting humbucker sized pickups? I was considering GFS gold foils.....

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Why are the p90s not cutting it?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Remulak posted:

Why are the p90s not cutting it?

They're not bad, but maybe a guitar like this should be more jangly/airy/jazzmastery?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TheChaosPath posted:

The first fret block inlay is another crime against humanity

I can't get enough inlay.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Sockington posted:

Oh dear.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Sockington posted:

That's the guitar version of a keyboard tie.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
This one is more audio hipster than instrument hipster, but I don't know where the kickstarter nonstarters have gone.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pinkdonut/rokblok-a-new-spin-on-vinyl

When you absolutely want to hear the doppler effect on every record you play, probably while destroying your albums as well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's not even a new concept.

https://youtu.be/aIwkhBiROQ4

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

re: synthetic woods for guitars. oboes and clarinets have been using synthetic materials (or in higher end instruments, basically sawdust/resin slurry) for years now as a result of the increasing expense and the rediculously sketchy nature of grednadilla harvesting, and frankly they sound fine. Like in guitars, I'd argue that the quality of construction, especially that of your reed/pickups (as well as your embouchure/technique/etc) have as much, if not more with your sound than the actual materials themselves.

Electric guitars are a cheap consumer item as much as they are musical instruments, and it's dumb as gently caress to me that guitarists don't really want to acknowledge that.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Octatonic posted:

Electric guitars are a cheap consumer item as much as they are musical instruments, and it's dumb as gently caress to me that guitarists don't really want to acknowledge that.

it's part dumb obstinacy on the consumer end but more importantly wood is still cheap

once that's over with, we'll see a bigger push toward engineered and synthetic materials

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

but more importantly wood is still cheap

Maybe. But not tone woodz.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

KozmoNaut posted:

It's not even a new concept.

https://youtu.be/aIwkhBiROQ4

At least the people making that had a funny gimmick.

Octatonic posted:

If you spend enough money you can pretend you are a legit musician.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

White Dog Eggs posted:

I love these so much, I send them out with wiring harnesses/pickups as a freebie.

Weirdass guitar time!

Microfrets Orbirter

of all the elements of this guitar, I can't stop staring at that tiny piece of scratchplate at the top

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Octatonic posted:

I'm with you for the most part but I think that's unfair to many of the small builders making amazing guitars full of hard work and personal touch at every level. When it comes to $2,500 Les Pauls coming off the factory though, yeah. It's silly.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

oh man I hope that's "master volume" and four "on/off" switches

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

They really hosed up by not making it 4H-green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Schpyder posted:

just give me ebony or one of those dope composite materials

unlawfulsoup posted:

That said, not the biggest fan of richlite.

Richlite is great. I was a skeptic based on the idea (and out of schadenfreude towards Gibson for being tea-party shitbirds and importing illegal ebony) until I played a couple of high-end acoustics in a row thinking they all had ebony boards. It's just perfectly smooth, dense, and black.

For my next bass build I'm going to do entirely domestic & sustainable woods, but the fingerboard options are pretty crappy under those conditions, and the build won't really make sense with anything other than ebony. (Otherwise it's going to be alder, walnut, ash, and reclaimed sinker redwood.) I'm going to go with Richlite, and my luthier is super into it. I just can't spec exotic woods anymore.

Dirt posted:

It's 2016. How do we not have cool carbon fiber or titanium fretboards that never break/chip/dry out?

Edit: and Stainless Steel frets should be loving standard. Refret jobs should be a thing that doesn't exist anymore

https://www.parkerguitars.com

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 10, 2016

• Locked thread