Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
There’s a reason he got the D in his meats class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

:golfclap:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

PostNouveau posted:

Ah yes, I remember the days in Austin where everyone knew someone who knew someone who was loving Rick Perry on the DL.

Rick Perry: easiest piece of rear end on 6th St?

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

:gowron:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Panty Saluter posted:

Rick Perry: easiest piece of rear end on 6th St?

:gowron:

4th St.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rip Charlie's, the only good gay bar

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Texas Politics: I don't think you grasp how wet this governor is yet

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online posted:

rip Charlie's, the only good gay bar
it was more, uh, real

one time i was walking in with a friend and the door guy went "hey, did y'all hear that ellen degeneres died?"

us: "WHAT"

him: "yeah, she drowned going down in ricki lake!"

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

This exchange in the Austin thread is worth a quote:

Badger of Basra posted:

trying to imagine what an eyewitness account of the city of seattle sending a homeless person to austin would even be

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it was more, uh, real

one time i was walking in with a friend and the door guy went "hey, did y'all hear that ellen degeneres died?"

us: "WHAT"

him: "yeah, she drowned going down in ricki lake!"

lmao. first and only time i've seen a fistfight between women, and probably the last place in austin to have dollar pints

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Altuve for governor

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

lmao. first and only time i've seen a fistfight between women, and probably the last place in austin to have dollar pints
i was talking to these two middle-aged straight women in there once, when this trans woman came up and got in one's face: "DID YOU GRAB MY rear end"

"BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE MY rear end BEING GRABBED BECAUSE IT MAKES ME WANNA START SOME poo poo"

the straight woman suddenly has a frightened, panicked look in her eyes and has no idea what to say. she's totally stunned.

then the trans woman goes: "... oh my god. i am so sorry! i think i confused you for someone else... i am really, really, really sorry. oh my god."

then leans it for a hug, really apologetic, and keeps apologizes. and hugs the straight woman, who returns the hug, just wanting the whole encounter to end. then the trans woman books it.

five minutes later the woman realized a piece of jewelry, a broach, that she had attached to her dress was missing

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
also met rick perry's gay butler in there. i could not get him to confirm or deny that perry is

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

five minutes later the woman realized a piece of jewelry, a broach, that she had attached to her dress was missing

hahaha gently caress yes

i think Charlie's was the original haunt of that old guy who would do tarot readings

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
hachi machi an EF2 just went right through north dallas

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
We are on standby for this next line of storms but that one sucked a ton of atmospheric energy out of the system.

Only one wind change away from that changing.

I hope who can be ok is ok. There's no current route in from the north.

I had an ef-0 touch down on the back of my property while I was mowing and didn't realize it till the roof came off my shop.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 21, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

should hit austin just before dawn, batten down some hatches if you need to

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this is going to complicate rebuilding

https://twitter.com/jdmiles11/status/1186118355784228865

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/OP_YellowFlash_/status/1186133783881420801

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god lol

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The election begins

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1186256980404572161

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
Are there any reliable deep dives into why the constitutional amendments came to be? Seems odd we took nearly 30 years to have a specific tax levied actually allocated to the entities intended to receive it (prop 5), but why the hell are we exempting gold from ad valorum taxation if it's stored in certain locations (prop 9)? Who is that a favor for?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Logic Probed posted:

I just remembered that the Houston mayor election is happening now. Any good references that I could glance through to get an idea of who to vote for?

These are the candidates. I'm voting for Turner - reluctantly - there just are no other choices

Sylvester Turner - He is the incumbent and has been Mayor since 2015. He's generally a pretty bad Mayor, he's petty, thin-skinned, and is a creature of the existing status quo of Houston politics which is funded largely by real estate developers and engineering and contracting firms that do business with the city. Prior to being Mayor, he was a state legislator for 28 years, so more than anything, he is a reflection of the nature of our horrid legislature and the types of insider dealings that come out of that. That being said, he's a Democrat, reflects Democratic priorities and has taken some good steps - the White and Parker administrations were big on economic development agreements (the city basically gives money to a developer through property tax abatement in order to get a project done), Turner has stopped that and basically said that if you want an agreement like that, you have to build in truly poor and underserved communities and be mindful of gentrification (no one has taken him up on the offer). He is in a remarkably stupid fight with the firefighters where they got a measure on the ballot in 2018 to require the city to give them a raise, with no funding mechanism in place to pay for the raises (Houston is under a revenue cap, so they can't just raise taxes to pay for the raises). The ballot initiative was eventually thrown out on a lawsuit filed by the police officer's union, so Turner withdrew the raises. I don't particularly like Turner, I don't think he has been good for the City and I long for the days of Annise Parker - but the other options are GOP standard - one Trump guy, and one "fiscal conservative".

Tony Buzbee - Extremely wealthy trial lawyer - one of Judge Kent's former clerks who made it big when a corrupt federal judge informed litigants that they better settle big with his favored sons or face dire consequences in the court room (note that Judge Kent was nearly impeached after being arrested and sentenced to prison for Sexual Assault, but resigned before the Senate could remove him). Rich dude who saw what Donald Trump did and decided that he could do that too. Big time Trump supporter, and was one of the state's largest donors to the Trump campaign and Trump inaugural committee. He's just a bored annoying rich guy spending $10MM of his own money to try and buy the Mayoral seat by appealing to conservative Trump supporters who don't live in the city limits.

Bill King - basically just a Republican Sylvester Turner, ran in 2015 and lost a close rate. Because he's an old white guy, conventional wisdom is that he's just a no nonsense budget and fiscal hawk ready to tighten our belts and blah blah blah. In reality, he was the managing partner of Linebarger, a collections law firm that survived on massive donations to city officials in exchange for collections contracts. He made his millions hounding poor people for overdue parking tickets - due to his whiteness, this has translated to the general public as "successful small business owner". His line with Turner is to say that he wants to end pay for play politics, which sounds good, except when you realize that he's only saying that because the usual suspects won't give money to someone challenging an incumbent - he took their money without question in his 2015 race (and funnily enough, there were no concerns about pay for play politics there). Also, he spent his entire life and amassed his fortune on pay for play politics - having him as the anti-corruption candidate is like asking a fox how to design a safe hen house. I really despise him as a candidate because it's pure racial resentment, he looks the part and the black man must be corrupt - so vote for this old white man who will make you feel safe again. There are no significant policy differences between him and Turner other than Bill King fundamentally opposes transit infrastructure, he thinks it's wasteful when we're all just going to have autonomous cars anyway. He's your boomer shithead dad and sucks the worst.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I have been a bad and lazy citizen is there a good summary of what the amendments actually mean anywhere? I know they love to word them as misleading as possible.

Looking at my ballot and the local insane homeschool lady who always runs for school board is at it again. Like my comment on the amendments above if you just read her own copy she sounds reasonable but dig deeper and you find out by “parental choice” she actually means teach the bible in public schools and let homeschoolers teach that liberals are demon possessed or whatever. One of these days she is going to win it on a fluke.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

This was easy to find when I lived in austin, but is there a breakdown or even a sample ballot of the pf city council races?

edit found a sample ballot, now to google some names to find the libertarians

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 21, 2019

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

This was easy to find when I lived in austin, but is there a breakdown or even a sample ballot of the pf city council races?

edit found a sample ballot, now to google some names to find the libertarians

I always use the LWV guides for elections in Houston, so I just googled the Austin chapter and they have the October/November 2019 guide up:

https://lwvaustin.org/votersguide/201911-ENG.pdf

The Houston one isn't up yet :(

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I'm voting against all the amendments. Most are bad, and even the ones that are good should be laws, not constitutional amendments. The idea of putting mundane stuff up for a vote to make it a superlaw is dumb.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

someone running for city council is 81 years old and calls pflugerville "apartmentville"

saintonan posted:

I'm voting against all the amendments. Most are bad, and even the ones that are good should be laws, not constitutional amendments. The idea of putting mundane stuff up for a vote to make it a superlaw is dumb.

haha what

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

someone running for city council is 81 years old and calls pflugerville "apartmentville"

haha what

The point behind making these constitutional amendments is that it would take another constitutional amendment to reverse or eliminate it. This is just stupid as gently caress. For example, Proposition 2 reads:

quote:

“The constitutional amendment providing for the issuance
of additional general obligation bonds by the Texas Water
Development Board in an amount not to exceed $200 million to provide financial assistance for the development of
certain projects in economically distressed areas.”

This is a simple appropriation that should be done through the legislature. It doesn't need to be in the Texas Constitution. Most of the poo poo on the ballot is stuff that should go through the lege, not through idiot low-information voters, especially in an off-election year.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah, everyone itt knows that, but i don't think anyone came to the conclusion that voting no is the correct course of action. that's still picking a side; if you're truly opposed to the (bad) constitutional revision process, why not just abstain

jurassic
Sep 20, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

These are the candidates. I'm voting for Turner - reluctantly - there just are no other choices

Sylvester Turner - He is the incumbent and has been Mayor since 2015. He's generally a pretty bad Mayor, he's petty, thin-skinned, and is a creature of the existing status quo of Houston politics which is funded largely by real estate developers and engineering and contracting firms that do business with the city. Prior to being Mayor, he was a state legislator for 28 years, so more than anything, he is a reflection of the nature of our horrid legislature and the types of insider dealings that come out of that. That being said, he's a Democrat, reflects Democratic priorities and has taken some good steps - the White and Parker administrations were big on economic development agreements (the city basically gives money to a developer through property tax abatement in order to get a project done), Turner has stopped that and basically said that if you want an agreement like that, you have to build in truly poor and underserved communities and be mindful of gentrification (no one has taken him up on the offer). He is in a remarkably stupid fight with the firefighters where they got a measure on the ballot in 2018 to require the city to give them a raise, with no funding mechanism in place to pay for the raises (Houston is under a revenue cap, so they can't just raise taxes to pay for the raises). The ballot initiative was eventually thrown out on a lawsuit filed by the police officer's union, so Turner withdrew the raises. I don't particularly like Turner, I don't think he has been good for the City and I long for the days of Annise Parker - but the other options are GOP standard - one Trump guy, and one "fiscal conservative".

Tony Buzbee - Extremely wealthy trial lawyer - one of Judge Kent's former clerks who made it big when a corrupt federal judge informed litigants that they better settle big with his favored sons or face dire consequences in the court room (note that Judge Kent was nearly impeached after being arrested and sentenced to prison for Sexual Assault, but resigned before the Senate could remove him). Rich dude who saw what Donald Trump did and decided that he could do that too. Big time Trump supporter, and was one of the state's largest donors to the Trump campaign and Trump inaugural committee. He's just a bored annoying rich guy spending $10MM of his own money to try and buy the Mayoral seat by appealing to conservative Trump supporters who don't live in the city limits.

Bill King - basically just a Republican Sylvester Turner, ran in 2015 and lost a close rate. Because he's an old white guy, conventional wisdom is that he's just a no nonsense budget and fiscal hawk ready to tighten our belts and blah blah blah. In reality, he was the managing partner of Linebarger, a collections law firm that survived on massive donations to city officials in exchange for collections contracts. He made his millions hounding poor people for overdue parking tickets - due to his whiteness, this has translated to the general public as "successful small business owner". His line with Turner is to say that he wants to end pay for play politics, which sounds good, except when you realize that he's only saying that because the usual suspects won't give money to someone challenging an incumbent - he took their money without question in his 2015 race (and funnily enough, there were no concerns about pay for play politics there). Also, he spent his entire life and amassed his fortune on pay for play politics - having him as the anti-corruption candidate is like asking a fox how to design a safe hen house. I really despise him as a candidate because it's pure racial resentment, he looks the part and the black man must be corrupt - so vote for this old white man who will make you feel safe again. There are no significant policy differences between him and Turner other than Bill King fundamentally opposes transit infrastructure, he thinks it's wasteful when we're all just going to have autonomous cars anyway. He's your boomer shithead dad and sucks the worst.

What are your thoughts on the timing of the elections? It has always bothered me that they don't line up with the Fed and State wide races.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ut755ln posted:

What are your thoughts on the timing of the elections? It has always bothered me that they don't line up with the Fed and State wide races.

that's intentional to suppress turnout; virginia is probably the worst example because the statewide offices are elected in odd years

edit looking it up, a clear majority of states elect governors in non-presidential years. that sucks

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 21, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

The point behind making these constitutional amendments is that it would take another constitutional amendment to reverse or eliminate it. This is just stupid as gently caress. For example, Proposition 2 reads:

This is a simple appropriation that should be done through the legislature. It doesn't need to be in the Texas Constitution. Most of the poo poo on the ballot is stuff that should go through the lege, not through idiot low-information voters, especially in an off-election year.

It all went through the legislature because that's how it works in this state. All kinds of laws and proposals have to be ratified by referendum. Luckily the "idiot low-information voters" of the state pretty much rubber stamp this stuff.

114-27 in the House; 22-8 in the Senate. I'm sure the people of Texas who live in economically distressed areas will appreciate your support in ensuring clean water and sewer services and not vote against a measure based on a misapprehension of process.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 21, 2019

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

yeah, everyone itt knows that, but i don't think anyone came to the conclusion that voting no is the correct course of action. that's still picking a side; if you're truly opposed to the (bad) constitutional revision process, why not just abstain

Because their position is that those proposals should not be constitutional amendments.

Like, regardless of someone's position on the issues, a key part of putting amendments on the ballot is asking "should this be a part of the state constitution?" and "no" is a perfectly valid answer to that question.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 21, 2019

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

ut755ln posted:

It just is what it is - I don't mind them because as a person who enjoys and participates in municipal politics more than any other level of government, it allows for the focus to be on the Mayor and council races and municipal issues rather than being caught up in broader national narratives.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Keeshhound posted:

Because their position is that those proposals should not be constitutional amendments.

Like, regardless of someone's position on the issues, a key part of putting amendments on the ballot is asking "should this be a part of the state constitution?" and "no" is a perfectly valid answer to that question.

But i don't think it is a valid question, because there is constitutional language that prevents these items from working as non-amendment laws because they violate a section about Texas state debt. By not doing it this way (via constitutional amendments), the law would basically be DOA because the most rudimentary challenge to its constitutionality would strike it down.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

But nobody reads the results that way. Nobody says "sure it was 54% no, but our polling shows that 20% of that was people opposed to the formulation of this legislation as a constitutional amendment". And thus, it doesn't affect any change in the process. All it does is make something you would like to have happened through other channels not happen at all.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Hawkline posted:

But i don't think it is a valid question, because there is constitutional language that prevents these items from working as non-amendment laws because they violate a section about Texas state debt. By not doing it this way (via constitutional amendments), the law would basically be DOA because the most rudimentary challenge to its constitutionality would strike it down.

Ok, *you* think the language should be in the constitution and you can vote accordingly. My response was to the question "why don't you just abstain [from voting]?"

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Please vote for Prop 2 and 8. Prop 2 is $200MM of bond authorization for the TWDB - a vote is required before bonds are issued and authorized and, imo, the TWDB is the most important agency in the state right now and are charged with building the infrastructure necessary for the future of the state including flood resiliency and drinking water.

Prop 8 allows for the creation of a Flood Infrastructure Fund, which will be a revolving fund that allows for the construction of extremely necessary flood infrastructure. Approving it will allow the state to have the local matching dollars needed for federal money and can seriously accelerate the process for these projects.

Please vote in favor of Prop 2 and Prop 8.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Hawkline posted:

I feel like you're missing the point. With Prop 2, it's a bond authorization, a vote is always needed to authorize bonds (whether it's city, school district, county, state, whatever) - it's not creating a new law, it is just allowing the state agency to borrow money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

Please vote for Prop 2 and 8. Prop 2 is $200MM of bond authorization for the TWDB - a vote is required before bonds are issued and authorized and, imo, the TWDB is the most important agency in the state right now and are charged with building the infrastructure necessary for the future of the state including flood resiliency and drinking water.

Prop 8 allows for the creation of a Flood Infrastructure Fund, which will be a revolving fund that allows for the construction of extremely necessary flood infrastructure. Approving it will allow the state to have the local matching dollars needed for federal money and can seriously accelerate the process for these projects.

Please vote in favor of Prop 2 and Prop 8.

I'm sorry I don't believe the voters should have the power to vote yes or no on a proposition, which is why I'll be voting no for all of them.