Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Propaganda Hour posted:

My Zenfone 2 broke so I'm back to my Nexus 4 for the time being and I have to ask, was the N4 battery always this bad or am I crazy? My Zenfone will typically have 70-75% batteries left by the time I get home around 5 with moderate usage texting and reading SA. My N4 is at 31% batteries with two hours left until quittin' time and I haven't done jack poo poo with this phone today.
Batteries degrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Ev posted:

So this is weird and I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. I have a Nexus 6p that I really like but last night I was pairing it with the bluetooth stereo in a car I hadn't driven in since I got the phone and since then every time I connect the phone to the stereo (starting the car up after getting gas, whatever) the bluetooth volume will be all the way down so it's muted and I have to turn it up on the phone.

The really weird part is that as I try to turn the volume up by pressing the volume button on the side of the phone it will sometimes turn back down a notch or two for some really weird reason that I haven't been able to figure out, but the bigger issue is that I can't get the volume to not be muted when I connect the phone to the stereo over bluetooth (well, that plus the volume of a podcast or music I'm listening to is incredibly louder than the volume of any call I make on that same stereo so it results in the speakers being absurdly loud whenever I get off a call and the music or podcast starts up again).

Aside from turning the volume up on the phone so it's not muted, I'm not even sure that adjusting it at all makes a bit of difference in how loud the music is on the stereo, the only thing that seems to control that is the volume on the stereo itself, but as I said the volume from a call is really low so I have to turn the speaker volume up, and then when the music or podcast picks up again it's ridiculously loud.

Is my phone just being weird or is this something new with the latest version of Marshmallow or whatever the last Nexus security update did to the phone?

I haven't had a chance to test this with other bluetooth speakers so I don't know if it's limited to just this particular car stereo or if it's a wider-ranging issue.

This is a bug that google hasn't fixed yet. The ~*pure*~ android experience!!!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My wife's car loves to gently caress around with the volume of her and my phones when on bluetooth arbitrarily; hers is an iPhone 6S+ and mine's a Z5. Who knows why...

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This is a bug that google hasn't fixed yet. The ~*pure*~ android experience!!!

Well, at least it's good to know it's not just me, but all the Android "purists".

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Galaxy S7 leak drop:
http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-images-specs-video-673652/

Confirmation of MicroUSB port (NOT Type-C) and MicroSD support.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh my god that guy's hands. Is he a giant?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Personally I like microusb because I already have the chargers and they are very common everywhere. I charge my devices overnight so I don't care about the charging speed. In fact it's better for the battery to charge it slower.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ihmemies posted:

Personally I like microusb because I already have the chargers and they are very common everywhere. I charge my devices overnight so I don't care about the charging speed. In fact it's better for the battery to charge it slower.

Yeah it's win-win for Samsung, people get to re-use the chargers that are everywhere and nobody kills their device with a bad USB-C cable.

USB-C is a great idea but the rollout is really being bungled badly.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Lol is right... I stop at the shiftiest Mc Donalds from time to time and no one's ever batted an eye at Android Pay except the stoned chick that said "oh cool"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Rastor posted:

Yeah it's win-win for Samsung, people get to re-use the chargers that are everywhere and nobody kills their device with a bad USB-C cable.

USB-C is a great idea but the rollout is really being bungled badly.

Yeah, I'm thinking they actually tried USB-C in their prototypes, saw the current state of USB-C, said nope, and went right back to micro USB.

QC 2.0 and fast-Qi are good enough anyway.

Endless Mike posted:

Oh my god that guy's hands. Is he a giant?

That's a 5.1" S7, not the more Note-sized S7E. That's not a super-sized hand. I can get my hand to look like that with my work-issued S5 (same screen size as the S7)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 17, 2016

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
So I've run into a problem across devices- I only sporadically get MMS messages on my Nexus 6 (specifically pictures) from my girlfriend who is on Verizon, I'm on Cricket and if I remember correctly this has happened with other devices as well. Is this a cricket oddity? Using Textra currently...

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

New and interesting problem: my phone is stick in do not disturb mode. I can't turn it off, or access the menu to turn it off. The button just does nothing at all. Kinda makes the phone useless as a phone

Edit: fixed it. Apparently it was as simple as using the volume up button. Kinda unintuitive since I never used the volume button to put it into that mode, but apparently that did it.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 17, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Rastor posted:

Galaxy S7 leak drop:
http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-images-specs-video-673652/

Confirmation of MicroUSB port (NOT Type-C) and MicroSD support.
How is any flagship phone coming out in 2016 without type-c?

Samsung'd

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ilkhan posted:

Samsung'd

OnePlus ruined everything.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Samsung'd

Because type c is inconsistent poo poo.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ilkhan posted:

Samsung'd
Because it's like ruining/blowing up phones or whatever the gently caress so I sure as hell don't want it yet

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Captain Yossarian posted:

Lol is right... I stop at the shiftiest Mc Donalds from time to time and no one's ever batted an eye at Android Pay except the stoned chick that said "oh cool"

The only time I've ever had anyone comment on it is when I was using Samsung pay and the clerk would say 'that doesn't work here' before samsungs magic magnet thing made it go through.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Samsung'd

I don't want to fuckin buy new cables, chargers, etc, I'm glad it doesn't.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chargers you already own should work just fine with a USB A to C cable, and cables aren't expensive.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Chargers you already own should work just fine with a USB A to C cable, and cables aren't expensive.

It's just a hassle. I have zero issues with micro USB, why change.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Endless Mike posted:

Some manufacturers cribbed the adapter cable designs from OnePlus. One of them fried a Googler's Chromebook. If you're wondering why Benson Leung hasn't been doing his cable audits lately, that was him.

Samsung doesn't want to catch poo poo from people buying cheapass death cables to hook their phone into their computer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Endless Mike posted:

But those are the exact cables that can end up frying a device.

I don't really blame Samsung for not wanting to deal with the hassle.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
One lovely Chinese company swaps data and power pins and suddenly "don't you know USB Type-C cables can fry devices!!"...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

This. USB-C is the future. It's not going anywhere. Get used to it and just suck it up and spend a few bucks and start buying cables.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Alereon posted:

One lovely Chinese company swaps data and power pins and suddenly "don't you know USB Type-C cables can fry devices!!"...

Only it wasn't one. A significant percentage of A to C cables were wired incorrectly and could cause problems like that.

I agree from an end user perspective that it's not a big deal to swap out cables. But I can also see the perspective of the OEM not wanting to deal with increased warranty claims especially when the only real gain to the end user is the bidirectional plugging capability.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I spent $9 on a 2-pack of micro USB to USB-C adapters and so I'm still using the same old car charger, wall charger, and cables I always did. The USB-C charger and cable that came with the 5x are in my day bag in case I need them. USB-C is rad and I can't wait for it to be everywhere.

...and with that said I totally get why Samsung didn't go that route, considering the aforementioned issue with dumb companies not following spec and making bad A-to-C cables. Wait another product cycle for the bad poo poo to leave the market and for Type C to become a little widely adopted.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

bull3964 posted:

especially when the only real gain to the end user is the bidirectional plugging capability.

Keeping in mind that USB-C doesn't offer a significant charging rate increase on top of current technologies already built on micro-USB.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love the myopic view of "well SOME companies make bad ones so no one should use them because I'm too lazy to spend 30 seconds researching which ones are good!!!!" in here. Are you guys still using parallel ports and changing jumpers on your hard drives?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

broken clock opsec posted:

Keeping in mind that USB-C doesn't offer a significant charging rate increase on top of current technologies already built on micro-USB.

Yeah, in fact standard rapid charging over USB C is slower than QC 2.0. That's not stopping anyone from using QC in a USB C device because it's completely valid to do so, only that we can't really use higher charging rate as a benefit to the end user with USB C.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

I love the myopic view of "well SOME companies make bad ones so no one should use them because I'm too lazy to spend 30 seconds researching which ones are good!!!!" in here. Are you guys still using parallel ports and changing jumpers on your hard drives?

Except we aren't doing that. The view is that we understand why the OEM doesn't want to take the risk and that it's really not a big deal that they aren't moving to it. Samsung is the reason you shouldn't buy the S7, not USB form factors.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

bull3964 posted:

Only it wasn't one. A significant percentage of A to C cables were wired incorrectly and could cause problems like that.
A wrong resistor is a spec conformance issue. It's not "cool" to see that in a real product bundled with a phone, but it's not a problem on a random chinese cable. Swapping power and other pins will fry devices but is also extremely rare.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Alereon posted:

A wrong resistor is a spec conformance issue. It's not "cool" to see that in a real product bundled with a phone, but it's not a problem on a random chinese cable. Swapping power and other pins will fry devices but is also extremely rare.

The resistor absolutely can still be an issue though. If that cable has a 10 ohm resistor and the phone tires to draw 3A, damage could happen because you don't necessarily know how the charger is going to react (or USB port on computer.)

At the end of the day, it's a simple mathematical analysis for them. Will the revenue they gain by going USB C overcome the potential cost of issues arising from that decision? If the answer is no, then they don't really have a reason to switch since USB C isn't solving any particular problem right now.

It's still the new standard and the conversion is inevitable. Most in this thread that care would never buy a Samsung handset to begin with so it's not worth the hand wringing over it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Hey congrats you're not the average consumer. Give yourself a pat on the head.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Endless Mike posted:

That's not what the discussion is, it's more like Samsung going "lol gently caress having to expand headcount in practically all of our support departments to account for people frying their devices with gimped cables" and people saying "eh, they have a point" because 30 seconds of research would make people run screaming from OnePlus yet there they sit.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Samsung has pretty incredible fast charging. The wireless fast charging on my Note 5 is probably my #1 favorite feature of it. Plus, Samsung has proven time and time again that they don't really care in being the leader in things that matter, really only crazy gimmicks like waterproof phones and edges.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

USB Type C Pros:
You can plug the cable in either way.
It is the hot new standard specification (note, only huge spergs give a poo poo about this).

USB Type C Cons:
You can't re-use your existing chargers and cables without buying adapters.
Unless you take the time to do a bunch of internet research, replacement cables risk frying your device or whatever you plug your device into or both.

Total wash:
You can fast charge.

You guys Samsung is so horrible why did they make this business decision? Don't they know USB Type C is the hot new standard specification?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Too bad he didn't scream "it's ISIS!!" when confronted.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rastor posted:

USB Type C Pros:
You can plug the cable in either way.
It is the hot new standard specification (note, only huge spergs give a poo poo about this).

USB Type C Cons:
You can't re-use your existing chargers and cables without buying adapters.
Unless you take the time to do a bunch of internet research, replacement cables risk frying your device or whatever you plug your device into or both.

Total wash:
You can fast charge.

You guys Samsung is so horrible why did they make this business decision? Don't they know USB Type C is the hot new standard specification?
You're right. No connector should ever change ever because god forbid someone should have to spend $6 on a cable after buying a $700 phone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Endless Mike posted:

You're right. No connector should ever change ever because god forbid someone should have to spend $6 on a cable after buying a $700 phone!
What if they're buying a $3.67 phone?