Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Loot Indicator mod :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

For some people who are able to calculate what the chances of successive misses are, they sure are bad at recognizing that there are black swan events.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Reik posted:

This was on commander. How does the aim buff work? That would only make this less likely to happen.

Don't stop, if you keep complaining that improbable events should actually be impossible maybe it will really happen

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Reik posted:

This was on commander. How does the aim buff work? That would only make this less likely to happen.

yes, less likely

not impossible

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

One of my mods displays something weird after the displayed percentage chance, like it'll say "80% but actually 75%". I don't know what any of it means but I think it's implying that the displayed percentages can be wrong, and if that's correct then at least on Commander difficulty they can be either above or below the stated chance.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
Guys, I just missed two 50% shots. That adds up to 100%, who the gently caress came up with these algorithms?!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Prop Wash posted:

One of my mods displays something weird after the displayed percentage chance, like it'll say "80% but actually 75%". I don't know what any of it means but I think it's implying that the displayed percentages can be wrong, and if that's correct then at least on Commander difficulty they can be either above or below the stated chance.

Do you have this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=634754304&searchtext=luck

It shows your "real" chance to hit based on past performance of the trooper

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Do you have this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=634754304&searchtext=luck

Hahaha that is the silliest thing.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Haha, I guess that's it. What a great mod. Not from a mechanical standpoint, obv, but it's fun for some extra characterization especially since stat growth isn't random.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I know, I was gonna put it on my next campaign. "Fuckin' Jones, man. Can't hit poo poo!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I completely forgot how in Enemy Within every pod on a given map was standing within three tiles of each other. Just did a battleship, and fighting one cyberdisc led to fighting mechtoids, sectoid commanders, and heavy floaters. Sadly for Zhang, the heavy floaters have zero percent chances to miss. RIP Zhang. :shepicide:

It's like that every other map though too. I can finish almost all of them with two rockets. I'm playing vanilla, has it always done that and I just never noticed? I keep getting very difficult abductions, they all activate at once on a single blue move (usually the first or second), then half my units end out of cover because they just shot them all and went home.

e: Also not getting a single unit with lightning reflexes with training roulette on is terrible.

e: Losing a mec trooper destroys the suit too? Wow, I never knew that. That's rough.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 19, 2016

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Is there any good reason to not leave the Black Site mission until you're riding the Avatar timer? It seems like the enemy composition is always the same (i.e. not like the EW Alien Base where you have stronger enemies based on the aliens' progression), but that may just be due to me always waiting until the Avatar timer naturally pops. It's always been Vipers/Mechs with one or two Mutons and/or Archons among the regular Advent troopers. I've never really bothered to go for it earlier or later, but it doesn't seem like there's much benefit to not putting it off until you can tech out/level up as much as possible, since it's still a slog regardless and I'll usually want to have magnetics/plated if possible along with other goodies (special ammo/mimic beacons/etc.).

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I've done it early before and it's just been advent and sectoids there, not even mecs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've never taken In the Zone before and wow it sucks. It doesn't work against flanked AND in cover enemies, only flanked and out of cover. It's only triggered once this campaign. :(

NAT-T Ice posted:

Is there any good reason to not leave the Black Site mission until you're riding the Avatar timer? It seems like the enemy composition is always the same (i.e. not like the EW Alien Base where you have stronger enemies based on the aliens' progression), but that may just be due to me always waiting until the Avatar timer naturally pops. It's always been Vipers/Mechs with one or two Mutons and/or Archons among the regular Advent troopers. I've never really bothered to go for it earlier or later, but it doesn't seem like there's much benefit to not putting it off until you can tech out/level up as much as possible, since it's still a slog regardless and I'll usually want to have magnetics/plated if possible along with other goodies (special ammo/mimic beacons/etc.).

Not really, the enemies get a little tougher but you can crush it in predator armor with mag weapons pretty much no matter what.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Does blowing up the floor out from someone and killing them with the fall destroy their loot?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Is there a way to stop the game from yelling at you about missing content? I ditched a few cosmetic mods and now it warns me every loving time when I want to load a save from where that stuff was around :argh:

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
I started my first Legendary campaign. On Gatecrasher, I started right up the rear end of two pods, one including a sectoid. (The sectoid's appearance on Gatecrasher blew my mind, too.) My troops are out for a month from injury. Research is taking forever.

I love this game so loving much

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

-Dethstryk- posted:

I started my first Legendary campaign. On Gatecrasher, I started right up the rear end of two pods, one including a sectoid. (The sectoid's appearance on Gatecrasher blew my mind, too.) My troops are out for a month from injury. Research is taking forever.

I love this game so loving much

I've heard that the one upside of Legendary is that aliens also upgrade much, much slower overall, making it possible to out-tech them for once, provided you've got enough scientists and a laboratory.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

RBA Starblade posted:

I've never taken In the Zone before and wow it sucks. It doesn't work against flanked AND in cover enemies, only flanked and out of cover. It's only triggered once this campaign. :(

Squadsight flanks don't count for ITZ.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Speedball posted:

I've heard that the one upside of Legendary is that aliens also upgrade much, much slower overall, making it possible to out-tech them for once, provided you've got enough scientists and a laboratory.
Nah, you tech way too slow on Legendary for that to be feasible, and if you rush a laboratory (which would also mean sacrificing power that could've went to a Proving Grounds/AWC) chances are you don't have the resources to actually get the weapon/armor upgrades when you finished researching them.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Exodee posted:

Nah, you tech way too slow on Legendary for that to be feasible, and if you rush a laboratory (which would also mean sacrificing power that could've went to a Proving Grounds/AWC) chances are you don't have the resources to actually get the weapon/armor upgrades when you finished researching them.

Yeah, you probably can outpace the enemy if you eschew the AWC, but with wound timers and build timers what they are you'll be rolling the dice for a long time. Very risky when a more balanced approach is probably more effective overall.

Dongattack posted:

I'm not gonna narc on you or anything, but a stray mod might see this as shilling your youtube channel. I've seen people ask and get mod permission to run a LP in a non LP forums thread before if a lot of people liked it, you have a nice voice tho and might actually do well in the LP forums themselves with a normal series if you are interested in that kind of stuff.

Ah, wasn't aware of that as a rule, not really trying to shill, more interested in trying it out and seeing what people think more than anything without pushing for lots of people to see it, but I can see how the distinction is probably academic.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Whoever said Anarchy's Children was basically XCOM Borderlands was correct. Most of the props just look goofy to me. The aviator's helmet with goggles is going to be excellent for H.M. Murdock in my A-Team A-Team though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Staltran posted:

Squadsight flanks don't count for ITZ.

Well drat. It was a flank by the sniper in most cases, but from a distance. Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Prop Wash posted:

Whoever said Anarchy's Children was basically XCOM Borderlands was correct. Most of the props just look goofy to me. The aviator's helmet with goggles is going to be excellent for H.M. Murdock in my A-Team A-Team though.

Yeah, there's a few nice props in there, but a lot of it is more for fun, it doesn't gel particularly well with a more conventional squad. That said though, it probably paves the way for extra mod rigging points for more mix and match.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

RBA Starblade posted:

I completely forgot how in Enemy Within every pod on a given map was standing within three tiles of each other. Just did a battleship, and fighting one cyberdisc led to fighting mechtoids, sectoid commanders, and heavy floaters. Sadly for Zhang, the heavy floaters have zero percent chances to miss. RIP Zhang. :shepicide:

It's like that every other map though too. I can finish almost all of them with two rockets. I'm playing vanilla, has it always done that and I just never noticed? I keep getting very difficult abductions, they all activate at once on a single blue move (usually the first or second), then half my units end out of cover because they just shot them all and went home.
I'm only playing a Normal Ironman XCOM:EW at the moment, since I'm not very good at strategy games, but I've been running into this as well. One mission involving a large scout UFO was a particular barrel of laughs. Sent my MEC forward into the UFO to find the second Meld container. No resistance, until I arrived just outside the cockpit area and golly imagine my surprise - I ran straight into two mechtoids with sectoid hangers-on, and managed to pop a triplet of heavy floaters too. The MEC only ended up eating two floater blasts though, because I made it fart out an EMP pulse next to the 'toid brigade, but that was not a fun surprise.

RBA Starblade posted:

I suppose it might not be wholly worthless if you've got a MEC with you or a Heavy with a surplus of explosives, so you can blast away enemies' cover.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Reik posted:

I just lost my entire A team in an Ironman run because they missed 6 85%+ shots on the last Muton as he ran around and knocked everyone unconscious with melee swings. That's 0.001% chance of happening. This game must have garbage math.

You have garbage strategy.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Zigmidge posted:

You have garbage strategy.

Yep. There's a bunch of ways that risk would've been mitigated. Withdraw beyond melee range as you're firing, use a flashbang, close distance to increase to build up the aim chance with weapon bonuses.

Some of these are contradictory, and sometimes XCOM gonna XCOM, but you don't lose an entire squad without making bad decisions along the way.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Yes, how dare you rely on 80% shots in the early game...

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
If you have a chance to miss and you don't plan for that miss, reconsider that post you're furiously typing out to whine in here. Nobody gives a gently caress what the % said when you made your bad decision.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Bholder posted:

Yes, how dare you rely on 80% shots in the early game...

Pretty much, if you can't absorb the chance that you miss, you make it more safe. That's why leaving cover to take the guaranteed 90% is quite often a very dangerous choice. You'll pull it off sometimes for sure, but the times where you don't will lose you soldiers you could've saved. 80% chance to hit means 20% chance to miss and get killed by a Muton in melee range. You should take a lower percentage chance if it means the Muton isn't in melee range, you need to be actively mitigating the consequences of failure. That's why the sword gets a bad rap, because it's very difficult to mitigate what happens in the 12% miss case given you've just run out of cover.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
These people are definitely humanity's best

:laffo:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Maluco Marinero posted:

Pretty much, if you can't absorb the chance that you miss, you make it more safe. That's why leaving cover to take the guaranteed 90% is quite often a very dangerous choice. You'll pull it off sometimes for sure, but the times where you don't will lose you soldiers you could've saved. 80% chance to hit means 20% chance to miss and get killed by a Muton in melee range. You should take a lower percentage chance if it means the Muton isn't in melee range, you need to be actively mitigating the consequences of failure. That's why the sword gets a bad rap, because it's very difficult to mitigate what happens in the 12% miss case given you've just run out of cover.
Even the skulljack gives you a single move back if you miss your 70% kill chance. If it had more than one charge per mission it would be a better melee option than the sword, which is kind of sad.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Lunethex posted:

These people are definitely humanity's best

:laffo:

:mediocre:

I guess Firaxis is going for a dichotomy, where the ADVENT cities are all nice and clean and sparkly, but the rest of the world is basically one big Thunderdome?

I did kind of find it strange that for a hard-scrabble guerilla operation, most of the possible looks for XCOM before the DLC were very spit-and-shine military...

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.
I poo poo thee not, a faceless has just swiped my guy, MISSED and killed the advent officer I was TRYING to skulljack in the SAME swipe, KILLING him. What the gently caress Jake

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

MorsAnima posted:

I poo poo thee not, a faceless has just swiped my guy, MISSED and killed the advent officer I was TRYING to skulljack in the SAME swipe, KILLING him. What the gently caress Jake

Yep, faceless have splash melee so play it careful, don't take cover near cars if you're expecting faceless.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 20, 2016

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008
You know what never misses? Grenades. Out of grenades? Bring more grenadiers. No room for grenadier? Kick some other useless scrub class out of your team.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yep, faceless have splash melee so play it careful, don't take cover near cars if you're expecting faceless.

More getting at the stupid mechanics that allow the same swipe to miss one guy and hit the other.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Jackhammer posted:

You know what never misses? Grenades. Out of grenades? Bring more grenadiers. No room for grenadier? Kick some other useless scrub class out of your team.

Also, stocks. And Combat Protocol. And a bunch of other crap.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jackhammer posted:

The XCOM Commander being Mr. Torgue makes a lot of sense, come to think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

MorsAnima posted:

It's the new combat AI routine, it killed the ADVENT dude so you couldn't mindrape him and find out the location of the Empire's new superweapon.

RBA Starblade posted:

The XCOM Commander being Mr. Torgue makes a lot of sense, come to think of it.

"Welcome back, Mr. Torgue"

WEOWWEOWWEOWKERBLAM

e: So now in a couple places I've seen people say that dashing while concealed attracts nearby pods (from sound I assume) but a blue move followed by a gold move doesn't. This is pure bullshit, right?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 20, 2016