Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Rabid Snake posted:

Playing, I just realized the Indian dude from Big Bang theory is voicing one of the aliens.

His voice acting is so bad

No he's the Pakistani actor from Silicon Valley you GIGANTIC loving RACIST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rabid Snake posted:

Playing, I just realized the Indian dude from Big Bang theory is voicing one of the aliens.

His voice acting is so bad

No, it's Kumail Nanjiani. The guy from Big Bang is Kunal Nayyar.

Funny thing, Nanjiani isn't a bad voice actor. He did a guest spot on Archer a while back and sounded just fine.Chalk it up to whoever was doing the voice direction, I guess.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Turtlicious posted:

I guess this is easier for you, then for you to believe I have different opinions than you.

you've got plenty of streams to pick a good example from, hopefully a preview like those streams have. if you wanted to argue in good faith you'd have done it pages ago; you also wouldn't focus on saying you're not trolling, you'd just go do it

but either way: you're the one that said that's why you argue :psyduck:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vermain posted:

Part of it seems to be that the Frostbite tech they're using just isn't up to 2017 standards (Aloy blows any single character in this game out of the water, and it's not like the HZD engine doesn't struggle with convincing facial animations in places), but I'd put a lot of money on the rest of it simply being an inexperienced team using unfamiliar tools.

well frostbite(at least to my knowlege) was never made originaly for rpg/talky types of games, its built for big bang explosions and games like battlefield. its why it looks fine in combat for the most part in andromada but probaly why all the faces and normal stuff looks off. least i hope. i am not a tech person so i am assuming this poo poo.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Vermain posted:

I am, of course, going to take the best of all possible options: wait for this game to go on sale a year down the line and enjoy all of the weird glitched moments people post on YouTube in the meantime.

if the reports about the multiplayer coming in are true that it's relatively decent i can see myself dropping $10 just for that. i did like me3 multiplayer a lot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well frostbite(at least to my knowlege) was never made originaly for rpg/talky types of games, its built for big bang explosions and games like battlefield. its why it looks fine in combat for the most part in andromada but probaly why all the faces and normal stuff looks off. least i hope. i am not a tech person so i am assuming this poo poo.

Inquisition was made in Frostbite three years ago and doesn't look nearly this bad.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I wish I was one of the five PC gamer reviewers assigned to mass effect andromeda, and I could hang out with the other four and just talk poo poo on the trash game all day

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Funny thing, Nanjiani isn't a bad voice actor. He did a guest spot on Archer a while back and sounded just fine.Chalk it up to whoever was doing the voice direction, I guess.

Yeah, he's fantastic in almost everything else, his delivery here is just REALLY phoned in for some reason.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ya multiplayer is fine, but your mileage may vary depending om how lovely a peer the game host is

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Inquisition was made in Frostbite three years ago and doesn't look nearly this bad.

That's why I suspect it's a case of the changing of the guard not going smoothly, for whatever reason.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Skippy McPants posted:

Maybe it's because he has to do the "salarian voice." It sounds like he has a cold.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good Dumplings posted:

you've got plenty of streams to pick a good example from, hopefully a preview like those streams have. if you wanted to argue in good faith you'd have done it pages ago; you also wouldn't focus on saying you're not trolling, you'd just go do it

YOu haven't posted a single example in this thread, and only started posting when I started posting? How do we know you're not just trying to rile up the people who like the game?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
MEA is bad and I am bad so of course I pre-ordered the deluxe edition with a hardcover guide (this was especially dumb) so I'm $100+ in on a bad game.

I also bought a xbox one elite controller for $130 thinking it would be better than m&kb for a game that was primarily developed for a gamepad.

$230 for bad game in 2017.

the elite controller is loving awesome tho so :snoop:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

eonwe posted:

ya multiplayer is fine, but your mileage may vary depending om how lovely a peer the game host is

hoo boy they didn't change that huh

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Vermain posted:

Part of it seems to be that the Frostbite tech they're using just isn't up to 2017 standards (Aloy blows any single character in this game out of the water, and it's not like the HZD engine doesn't struggle with convincing facial animations in places), but I'd put a lot of money on the rest of it simply being an inexperienced team using unfamiliar tools.

That's the sense I get from level design as well. It's just kind of there, it's not like the Citadel or Feros where the level design is pushing thematic content and contributing to a specific sense of place and providing gameplay opportunities. It doesn't look bad, but it also doesn't seem to have been made by an experienced professional.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Skippy McPants posted:

yeah, it seems like the voice direction as a general rule is just bad. bad writing can be salvaged with good voice actors, and a good script can make up for sub-par voicing... but both? it's just bland characters reciting generic expositions at each other.

i can't say much about cora or vetra because we didn't see much of them on the stream, at least the parts i saw, but liam seems to be a perfect storm of badness in particular.

watching the stream, you can tell there really is more dialogue than ME3 because the are so many sequences that are like:

RYDER: Guys, we need to do the thing.
CORA: Let's do the thing, Pathfinder.
LIAM: I'm ready to do the thing.
SAM: Pathfinder, here is a guide to doing the thing.

Walking into a research outpost, finding a glyph, powering up a conduit, powering down a generator... over and over again.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Turtlicious posted:

YOu haven't posted a single example in this thread, and only started posting when I started posting? How do we know you're not just trying to rile up the people who like the game?

pics or gtfo, I can't be any less (more? I am posting in the ME:A thread) sadbrained than a guy that pretends to be a dumbass

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good Dumplings posted:

pics or gtfo, I can't be any less sadbrained than a guy that pretends to be a dumbass

of your post history?

That'd be weird dude.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Skippy McPants posted:

he isnt even awful really. he is talking way way to slow for the salarian character. that and he is kinda trying to swallow an accent. that and the direction.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Milky Moor posted:

yeah, it seems like the voice direction as a general rule is just bad. bad writing can be salvaged with good voice actors, and a good script can make up for sub-par voicing... but both? it's just bland characters reciting generic expositions at each other.

Jack from ME2 would have been such a lovely character if her VA didn't totally sell it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Scott Forstall posted:

the elite controller is loving awesome tho so :snoop:

Yeah, playing games designed for gamepad on gamepad is good and fun.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

also, you find the mako replacement in a crate

like, it doesn't come standard on the ship like you might assume, you just happen to find it on eos

why

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Milky Moor posted:

like, it doesn't come standard on the ship like you might assume, you just happen to find it on eos

why

Every time I read a post like this I just assume it's a joke but it never is.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kumail Nanjiani is an excellent comedian with great comedic timing, and he's voicing a character that isn't very funny and is also an alien

so it's not exactly in his wheelhouse, and not a great choice for his debut into drama

but i still like him

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

why

There's a really hilarious contrast between the tremendous amount of time and detail that goes into the planet zoom-in sequence on the galaxy map versus Ryder teleporting into and out of their car and shutting the door in a single frame.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Have we figured out which companions are going to be even mildly close to as good as ME2's companions yet? The Krogan seems really generic Krogan, which means good, but all of the other companions revealed so far seem like the worst ones introduced in the entire series.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

why

lol the 600 year expedition into another galaxy didn't think to bring a jeep

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah there sure are a lot of those across the entirety of the internet right now 🤣

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Jack from ME2 would have been such a lovely character if her VA didn't totally sell it.

i think jack's face model helped a lot, too because her face seemed like it could have so much more expression than others because of her super sharp structure

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Utnayan posted:

Yeah there sure are a lot of those across the entirety of the internet right now 🤣

I think there are a lot on both sides, and not everyone who doesn't like it is arguing in good faith. Just like everyone who does it like are arguing in good faith. It's dumb to just assume people are arguing in bad faith about things subjective like art.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ainsley McTree posted:

lol the 600 year expedition into another galaxy didn't think to bring a jeep

what the gently caress?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Urthor posted:

Have we figured out which companions are going to be even mildly close to as good as ME2's companions yet? The Krogan seems really generic Krogan, which means good, but all of the other companions revealed so far seem like the worst ones introduced in the entire series.

the kerr guy will be the best, since he'll be the Javik of the group

this game loving clicked when I realized it's Mass Effect: Voyager; don't know who's the Neelix yet tho

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Milky Moor posted:

but what if i don't like anime upskirt little girls

then go play Zelda or Horizon. Still far superior games. With so many truly great games out and coming out in Early 2017 there is zero excuse to throw $60 in the toilet and put up with EA's crap over this game.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Good Dumplings posted:

the kerr guy will be the best, since he'll be the Javik of the group

this game loving clicked when I realized it's Mass Effect: Voyager; don't know who's the Neelix yet tho

Hopefully. Javik got by on his sociopath mode tho, iirc the lore for the Kerr is they are the oppressed natives by the big bad race

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

i think jack's face model helped a lot, too because her face seemed like it could have so much more expression than others because of her super sharp structure

They could do a lot with the moody lighting as well in the cargo hold. Just a lot of good solid artistic decisions on how to present the character in a way that wasn't completely embarrassing as it appeared on script.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowcaster posted:

hoo boy they didn't change that huh

not a bit

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Played sp for a couple of hours and I'm pretty much sold.

Game good so what?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Welp, I installed the trial and it's ON my hard drive, but it still says "Install" in Origin and now I just keep getting that loving VC++ redist package not installed error every time.

I've gone into the actual game vc folder and re-ran all the installer .exes and they install, but Origin still doesn't give a poo poo. Awesome.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Urthor posted:

Hopefully. Javik got by on his sociopath mode tho, iirc the lore for the Kerr is they are the oppressed natives by the big bad race

no, jaal is an angaran

the kett are the bad rock people

the confusion is understandable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DrNutt posted:

what the gently caress?

They did bring a jeep, it was just in a space garage. It seems like Ryder's Riders gets up and running about a year after arrival, for some reason.