Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Revitalized posted:

Hmm, so on spark, would an incoming call nix the data connection or only upon picking up? I could always just ignore a call if something really didn't need to be interrupted.
Even if you ignore the call, the phone still does the CSFB switch to begin ringing. Even if you ignore the call, it has still occurred and your data connection will be interrupted. I just had a buddy with an SGS4T verify that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittPanther
Sep 6, 2006
Anyone use Google Voice integration with Sprint? Your Sprint number can be the same as your Google Voice number. With the assimilation of Google Voice into Hangouts, I wonder if it would be possible to use Hangouts VoIP exclusively, as Sprint's cellular service is hit or miss where I live.

Anyone try this yet?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Dead Pressed posted:

Well I went against the greater hive mind and am taking an iPhone six for a three day spin to determine if I can drop Verizon. Service is good so far in Knoxville and Internet is baking pretty good so far. Wife was super excited on the YouTube load times in the living room. I've already downloaded a ton of music from my Amazon library and it keeps churning.

I've had Sprint since 2000, and been in Knoxville since 2004. Sprint became a disaster here around the time they got the iPhone. Data was pretty much useless no matter where you went. Now with Knoxville finally getting LTE there has been an vast improvement. I live in the Powell area, and I spend a lot of time downtown too. I never really have any issues in these areas now.

That said I work on ORNL, and inside any building there Sprint service is awful. Also I've had some issues at West Town Mall with data.

Still overall I am really happy with the improvements. I can't speak of speeds versus Verizon, because Sprint is all I know. There are times I think it should be faster, but I'm just happy it mostly works now. I'm on an iPhone 5s, and I have 4 other lines all iPhone 5.

Just curious what part of Knox do you live?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

PittPanther posted:

Anyone use Google Voice integration with Sprint? Your Sprint number can be the same as your Google Voice number. With the assimilation of Google Voice into Hangouts, I wonder if it would be possible to use Hangouts VoIP exclusively, as Sprint's cellular service is hit or miss where I live.

Anyone try this yet?

I have for the most part. What you have to worry about mainly right now is a bug when sending a SMS text message. Some people send a duplicate 30 times, my phone has gone nuts and since it upwards of 60 times with the other persons phone blowing up for a while. But for the calls, they can be made and received with the cell radio off if you are connected to wifi. If it's LTE you can answer them on hangouts. If it's CDMA then I think you'll be cut off when the phone finally comes through. Usually hangouts will ring a few seconds in advance, but sometimes take 5 to 10 seconds to pickup.

There seems to be a bug where it'll keep ringing hangouts for several seconds when picking up the phone and the other person is already talking.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So I have the LG G2 and I quite like it. Only problem is, is that recently the screen has this 1 inch band across the top part that doesn't respond to any touches. I've searched around and it seems like its a defect from the early gen devices. Is there anyway to replace the device without having to shell out $150 bucks for the deductible?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

nate fisher posted:

I've had Sprint since 2000, and been in Knoxville since 2004. Sprint became a disaster here around the time they got the iPhone. Data was pretty much useless no matter where you went. Now with Knoxville finally getting LTE there has been an vast improvement. I live in the Powell area, and I spend a lot of time downtown too. I never really have any issues in these areas now.

That said I work on ORNL, and inside any building there Sprint service is awful. Also I've had some issues at West Town Mall with data.

Still overall I am really happy with the improvements. I can't speak of speeds versus Verizon, because Sprint is all I know. There are times I think it should be faster, but I'm just happy it mostly works now. I'm on an iPhone 5s, and I have 4 other lines all iPhone 5.

Just curious what part of Knox do you live?

Halls, right about where Emory hits Quarry road. I work up in Luttrell (Union co). Should watch a UT game...

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

Inside Out Mom posted:

So I have the LG G2 and I quite like it. Only problem is, is that recently the screen has this 1 inch band across the top part that doesn't respond to any touches. I've searched around and it seems like its a defect from the early gen devices. Is there anyway to replace the device without having to shell out $150 bucks for the deductible?

As long as you have TEP and the device isn't damaged they should swap it for free at the store. If you don't have TEP and it's still in warranty it should only be 75 bucks.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

uapyro posted:

I have for the most part. What you have to worry about mainly right now is a bug when sending a SMS text message. Some people send a duplicate 30 times, my phone has gone nuts and since it upwards of 60 times with the other persons phone blowing up for a while. But for the calls, they can be made and received with the cell radio off if you are connected to wifi. If it's LTE you can answer them on hangouts. If it's CDMA then I think you'll be cut off when the phone finally comes through. Usually hangouts will ring a few seconds in advance, but sometimes take 5 to 10 seconds to pickup.

There seems to be a bug where it'll keep ringing hangouts for several seconds when picking up the phone and the other person is already talking.

Interesting, can this be done with a non-Wifi calling phone? Specifically a Nexus 5.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Interesting, can this be done with a non-Wifi calling phone? Specifically a Nexus 5.

All of that was done with a Note 2; definitely not a Wifi calling phone

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Inside Out Mom posted:

That's actually a known issue and they should swap it and wave the fee but they may be assholes and charge you the $75 if you don't have TEP.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Yes. Set up with Hangouts integrated with my Sprint number right now. I can make and receive calls through wifi, and call notifications come in both through my phone and my computer, since I have the Hangouts extension. The integration also means that my SMS go through data-only now though, which is a downside if I'm camping or something and need to text - then the sends will just fail, since I have cell signal but no data signal.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to find a store around me. Hopefully they replace it.

PittPanther
Sep 6, 2006

bobula posted:

Yes. Set up with Hangouts integrated with my Sprint number right now. I can make and receive calls through wifi, and call notifications come in both through my phone and my computer, since I have the Hangouts extension. The integration also means that my SMS go through data-only now though, which is a downside if I'm camping or something and need to text - then the sends will just fail, since I have cell signal but no data signal.

Is this seamless? When I leave an area with wifi, and someone calls, will it go through the cellular network? And once I return to wifi, calls will go through Hangouts?

Would be nice if this were the case, though SMS through data only may be a problem, seeing how spotty Sprint's data network is.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Finally got the M8 -- missed the sale at Best Buy (of course it ended the day before I was going to buy it), but Amazon had the same deal and $10 overnight shipping. Now I'm doing the ol' unlock/root/etc., and I can't believe HTC's got me typing into a loving command line in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Fourteen. Though I guess making it command-line-based keeps the stupid people from bricking their phones.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003
Anyone else having problems setting up Wi-fi calling on their S5? I follow the tips to put the state code as upper case and two letters, I use the GPS to find the address, and it still says invalid.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Is there any way (short of installing another rom) to make the M8's home screen not poo poo? I don't do facebook/twitter, and the newsfeeds are just a waste of bandwidth. I removed all of them, and now have a blank white screen with "No content -- pull down to refresh" in the middle. I'd prefer, y'know, a screen with buttons for my most-used apps.

Can you even change the look of the clock?

Should this go in one of the more general threads?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Delivery McGee posted:

Is there any way (short of installing another rom) to make the M8's home screen not poo poo? I don't do facebook/twitter, and the newsfeeds are just a waste of bandwidth. I removed all of them, and now have a blank white screen with "No content -- pull down to refresh" in the middle. I'd prefer, y'know, a screen with buttons for my most-used apps.

Try a different launcher (Nova, Action, Google are the ones most suggested). The stock launcher is fine once the Blinkfeed pane is removed, but I do prefer Nova for the extra options I get. You can get them all in the Play store; no rom/rooting required.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Delivery McGee posted:

I've never used an M8, so I don't know, but can you not just drag apps from the app drawer to the homescreen?

PittPanther
Sep 6, 2006

Namlemez posted:

Anyone else having problems setting up Wi-fi calling on their S5? I follow the tips to put the state code as upper case and two letters, I use the GPS to find the address, and it still says invalid.

I use wifi calling extensively on my M8. I did have this issue with one wifi hotspot, but I just typed in a known address close by, and it worked. They ask for the address for 911 calls, but for some reason the GPS wasn't picking up a valid address, so I just typed one in that was close by.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've never used an M8, so I don't know, but can you not just drag apps from the app drawer to the homescreen?

I have an M8, and yes, that's all you have to do.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

PittPanther posted:

I use wifi calling extensively on my M8. I did have this issue with one wifi hotspot, but I just typed in a known address close by, and it worked. They ask for the address for 911 calls, but for some reason the GPS wasn't picking up a valid address, so I just typed one in that was close by.

Ugh that worked but that's pretty stupid. The address I originally entered is both my Sprint service address and comes up on Google Maps fine.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

PittPanther posted:

Is this seamless? When I leave an area with wifi, and someone calls, will it go through the cellular network? And once I return to wifi, calls will go through Hangouts?

Would be nice if this were the case, though SMS through data only may be a problem, seeing how spotty Sprint's data network is.

On mine it rings both Hangouts and Cell.

Which is annoying since Hangouts has a delay in registering that I picked up. It'll show that I've answered it, but sometimes can take up to 10 seconds before I hear the other person talking. At the same time, it'll still be ringing on Hangouts if I answer the cell instead.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

effika posted:

I have an M8, and yes, that's all you have to do.

Deleting the blinkfeed panel was the part I was hung up on. Got it now. Thanks, guys!

Edit: It's not showing up in Windows when I set it to "disk drive". What stupidly obvious thing am I missing there?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 29, 2014

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Inside Out Mom posted:

If you send it back to LG, they will replace the screen for free, assuming you're still in warranty. However, sending phones to LG is not fun. It takes 10 days or so to get your phone back, their call center is grumpy and unhelpful, and some people report cosmetic damage on their phone once returned (though that didn't happen to me).

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Delivery McGee posted:

Deleting the blinkfeed panel was the part I was hung up on. Got it now. Thanks, guys!

Edit: It's not showing up in Windows when I set it to "disk drive". What stupidly obvious thing am I missing there?

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. Sometimes switching it between mtp and ptp helps, too. I use Linux Mint now (works pretty seamlessly), but I do remember having a really annoying time getting windows to see my GS3. The Android thread may have more help if it still doesn't show up.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Delivery McGee posted:

Use Airdroid instead of usb.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

I just called over to the sero line for an upgrade and they had said that I would have an activation fee with a new phone of $36. It seems steep, is that a normal price?

EDIT: I checked around some other forums and it looks like that's the case. Just weird that I don't remember paying it before.

bar88537 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 2, 2014

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

bar88537 posted:

I just called over to the sero line for an upgrade and they had said that I would have an activation fee with a new phone of $36. It seems steep, is that a normal price?

I paid that exact amount to upgrade to my S4 last spring.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

bar88537 posted:

EDIT: I checked around some other forums and it looks like that's the case. Just weird that I don't remember paying it before.

Yeah, I paid that earlier this summer. Sometimes reps would waive the fee but I guess that's no longer the case.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What kind of deals are you guys getting offered on trade in toward new phones? I'm thinking about dumping my S3 back to sprint for a Note 4 if it's not only going to net $10.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

rock2much posted:

What kind of deals are you guys getting offered on trade in toward new phones? I'm thinking about dumping my S3 back to sprint for a Note 4 if it's not only going to net $10.

sprint's website says $72, and samsung has a promotion running to double your buyback if you preorder a note 4.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WoG posted:

sprint's website says $72, and samsung has a promotion running to double your buyback if you preorder a note 4.

Stupid question: I get to keep my phone until the Note 4 arrives for the trade-in right? :downs:

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

rock2much posted:

WoG posted:

sprint's website says $72, and Samsung has a promotion running to double your buyback if you preorder a note 4.

Where have you seen that one? I've seen one promotion that as long as you trade in a smartphone worth at least $200, Samsung will send you a check for up to $190 so you get "$200" for your trade in. If you get $50, they send you $150, etc. Some people have been hunting down prepaid android phones that are $20~$30 and then trading them in so they can keep their current phone instead.

And Best Buy also has a promotion, basically any working smartphone without a cracked screen or water damage is an automatic $200 gift card that you can use when you pick up the note 4. Both of these require a pre-order.

And you do keep your current phone until you pickup the Note 4.

Edit with links:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/samsung-galaxy-note-4-128435?ref=195&loc=663e243fc667411aafc3d712b1277460

https://samsunggalaxypromotions.com/Note4/

uapyro fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 2, 2014

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

uapyro posted:

Where have you seen that one? I've seen one promotion that as long as you trade in a smartphone worth at least $200, Samsung will send you a check for up to $190 so you get "$200" for your trade in. If you get $50, they send you $150, etc. Some people have been hunting down prepaid android phones that are $20~$30 and then trading them in so they can keep their current phone instead.

And Best Buy also has a promotion, basically any working smartphone without a cracked screen or water damage is an automatic $200 gift card that you can use when you pick up the note 4. Both of these require a pre-order.

And you do keep your current phone until you pickup the Note 4.

Edit with links:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/samsung-galaxy-note-4-128435?ref=195&loc=663e243fc667411aafc3d712b1277460

So I can use the $200 GC towards the Note 4? That sounds a lot cooler than waiting 3 billing cycles for a credit from Sprint.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

rock2much posted:

So I can use the $200 GC towards the Note 4? That sounds a lot cooler than waiting 3 billing cycles for a credit from Sprint.

That's right. And then the $50 deposit you have to give them as well when you pre-order. If you signed up at the beginning of the year with them saying you were going to get a cellphone, they gave you another $50 giftcard too that you could use.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

uapyro posted:

Where have you seen that one? I've seen one promotion that as long as you trade in a smartphone worth at least $200, Samsung will send you a check for up to $190 so you get "$200" for your trade in....

Looks like it's the same one -- I thought the sprint site said 'double', but that's where it linked (and it's flaking out trying to log in now, preventing me from checking). I left out the $200 cap because 2*72, yada yada.

The actual deal is even better, though. (If only it weren't for that "minimum $10" -- my older sprint phones are worth $1, $0, and $1, respectively)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

WoG posted:

Would this work for SERO?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

WoG posted:

Looks like it's the same one -- I thought the sprint site said 'double', but that's where it linked (and it's flaking out trying to log in now, preventing me from checking). I left out the $200 cap because 2*72, yada yada.

The actual deal is even better, though. (If only it weren't for that "minimum $10" -- my older sprint phones are worth $1, $0, and $1, respectively)

The Best Buy one would still valid though; I believe their terms say no cracked screens, and no water damage. YMMV but for the most part most people are told anything works, even if it has no value.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Guessing I didn't win the LG G3 entry sweepstakes I entered every day of September. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

uapyro posted:

The Best Buy one would still valid though; I believe their terms say no cracked screens, and no water damage. YMMV but for the most part most people are told anything works, even if it has no value.

Let me find my Samsung Moment...