Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Selklubber posted:

If you don't need so advanced stuff Circuitlab is pretty good, https://www.circuitlab.com. It's free if you have a student email.

That's excellent, just what I need :)

Thanks for your suggestion too SWSXP, but java and chrome aren't very good friends unfortunately :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Experto Crede posted:

Thanks for your suggestion too SWSXP, but java and chrome aren't very good friends unfortunately :(
Just download the applet and run it locally.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Am I the only one that finds it amusing that the system setting for default browser is hidden in the Safari preferences?

And some Apple apps don't even respect it and open poo poo in Safari regardless.

:argh:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Pivo posted:

Am I the only one that finds it amusing that the system setting for default browser is hidden in the Safari preferences?

For better or worse, web browsers defaults have always worked this way... in OS X and otherwise.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Security update just went out for Mavericks. It's not 10.9.3, and Apple's page detailing security updates hasn't been modified to reflect it yet.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Lexicon posted:

For better or worse, web browsers defaults have always worked this way... in OS X and otherwise.

Not quite true. While you could set it within the Safari prefs, there used to be a nice, consolidated defaults general control panel for the default mail client, browser, et cetera. It went away sometime around 10.4. I want to say it was the "Internet" pane in System Preferences.

I recall a lot of wailing when this went away because people had to (gasp) open Mail and Safari to change the defaults.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

kefkafloyd posted:

Not quite true. While you could set it within the Safari prefs, there used to be a nice, consolidated defaults general control panel for the default mail client, browser, et cetera. It went away sometime around 10.4. I want to say it was the "Internet" pane in System Preferences.

I recall a lot of wailing when this went away because people had to (gasp) open Mail and Safari to change the defaults.

Interesting. I hopped on board at 10.4 so it might have been before my time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Looks like Apple started a new OS X beta program that allows anyone to download OS X betas. Previously you needed to receive an invitation to the Appleseed program, or pay the $99 for a Developer account.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Still won't make them fix their SMB 1 or 2 file sharing bugs any faster! :v: Also won't make Radar any less of a black hole.

But if people want to run unstable software, then power to them. I've had my share of prereleases that had interesting bugs/uselessness, now everyone else can experience them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Excellent, time to get some VMs up to see if this has helped with the SMB issues I've been seeing.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I've pre-ordered a Rift DK2 (shoot me) and wonder if there's some way I'll be able to configure it to be a mirror of just my primary display. So far as I have been able to tell, OS X only supports either mirroring all attached displays as a single display, or extending onto all attached displays, but not mixtures of mirroring and extending.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I have heard that Chrome drains MacBook batteries and I am experiencing the same issue. Last night when using Chrome on battery, my estimated time left was under 6hrs. I quit Chrome and started using Safari and the estimated battery time remaining shot up to 9hrs 30min.

Seems like a lot of other people are having this issue so I guess the question is, assuming there is no simple fix, what browser should I be using? Firefox? I am not a huge fan of Safari...

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
If you're concerned about battery, Safari is the most battery conscious on Macs.

Since I use an iPhone, iPad and Macbook.. I just made the conversion to Safari. Its been just fine -- especially with iCloud Keychain.

The only thing I don't like about Safari is that Command + 1 doesn't select the first tab, it selects your first bookmark in the bookmark bar. I don't let tabs stay open too long anyways so it hasn't been a deal breaker.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ironlung posted:

I have heard that Chrome drains MacBook batteries and I am experiencing the same issue. Last night when using Chrome on battery, my estimated time left was under 6hrs. I quit Chrome and started using Safari and the estimated battery time remaining shot up to 9hrs 30min.

Seems like a lot of other people are having this issue so I guess the question is, assuming there is no simple fix, what browser should I be using? Firefox? I am not a huge fan of Safari...

Firefox will do the same thing.

The bad thing about Chrome is that it has a problem where it will use CPU after you wake your Mac from sleep and eat your battery.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

FlashBangBob posted:

If you're concerned about battery, Safari is the most battery conscious on Macs.

Since I use an iPhone, iPad and Macbook.. I just made the conversion to Safari. Its been just fine -- especially with iCloud Keychain.

The only thing I don't like about Safari is that Command + 1 doesn't select the first tab, it selects your first bookmark in the bookmark bar. I don't let tabs stay open too long anyways so it hasn't been a deal breaker.

https://github.com/rs/SafariTabSwitching

You're welcome.

Also this https://github.com/Xe0n0/FinderTweak

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

How about a solution to safari not remembering zoom levels, hot shot?

One that doesn't suck, at least.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Sounds like I just need to get used to Safari. I can deal with that.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

FlashBangBob posted:

Ctrl+tab in safari switches between tabs in order. If you have like 3 tabs open it's a way better shortcut than cmd+number.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
The biggest thing stopping me from moving from Firefox to Safari is the utter lack of closed tab history. I undo close tab a lot, and frequently several times in a row (so Safari's undo-to-reopen-tab isn't good enough).

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Axiem posted:

The biggest thing stopping me from moving from Firefox to Safari is the utter lack of closed tab history. I undo close tab a lot, and frequently several times in a row (so Safari's undo-to-reopen-tab isn't good enough).

Not in front of a Mac at the moment, but is there not a "Recently Close Tabs" section in the History menu?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

vikingstrike posted:

Not in front of a Mac at the moment, but is there not a "Recently Close Tabs" section in the History menu?

The main problem is that closed tabs don't retain their browsing history. You can't reopen a closed tab and then use the back button to go to a previous page. Sure, the page visit will (probably) be in the overall browser history but you will have to find it yourself since the browser doesn't associate it with the tab you just reopened.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Tippis posted:

The main problem is that closed tabs don't retain their browsing history. You can't reopen a closed tab and then use the back button to go to a previous page. Sure, the page visit will (probably) be in the overall browser history but you will have to find it yourself since the browser doesn't associate it with the tab you just reopened.

Undo to reopen last closed tab definitely remembers the tab's own history when restored. I'm not in front of my mac to test the menu list myself but I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least possible via an extension. Maybe SafariStand or Glims or something.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Neurophonic posted:

Undo to reopen last closed tab definitely remembers the tab's own history when restored. I'm not in front of my mac to test the menu list myself but I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least possible via an extension. Maybe SafariStand or Glims or something.

You're using a very different version of Safari then. I have no “reopen last closed tab” — just undo close tab (which I can use to restore any number of tabs), and it definitely does not remember any history.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 23, 2014

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
History is remembered in Safari when you undo close tab. Safari 7.0.3

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 23, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Then I'll have to dig around a bit because what you describe is almost the exact opposite of how my Safari operates.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So the App Store seems to be confused on whether or not I have updates to install.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

wdarkk posted:

So the App Store seems to be confused on whether or not I have updates to install.

This is the case when you have an app to update but you are not signed in under the account that that app was purchased under. If you sign out and then hit updates, it should ask you to login under the user that purchased the app.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Neurophonic posted:

I'm working in Safari Version 7.0.3 (9537.75.14). I open it fresh; the starting window shows me my top sites.

I navigate Tab 1 to nytimes.com. I middle-click on three different links, so I have 4 tabs open in my browser.

On Tab 2 (the first article I opened), I scroll to the "Most Emailed" section and click on one of the links, opening it in the same tab.

I press Ctrl-T to open up a new tab (tab 5). In that tab, I type "foobar" then enter, which brings me to a google search page. I hit the first link, opening it up in tab 5.

Now I close Tab 2 (the link from the first article I opened), Tab 3 (the second article I opened), then Tab 4 (the third article I opened) in that order.

On Tab 5 (foobar.com), I click the "Screenshots" link.

I hit Ctrl-T to open a new tab and search for "Hello", which brings up a Google search page.

Now I realize that my old Tab 2 had something on it that I wanted.

Ctrl-Z will "Undo typing", which doesn't help. I don't have anything in the "History" menu that allows me to open tabs that I previously closed. I do see the two articles from Tab 2 on that list (god forbid I clicked even more on foobar.com in-between), but clicking on either article overwrites the tab I'm currently in. I can middle-click, which does open a new tab, but it means I have a new tab, when what I wanted was Tab 2 back, with its full history stack.

In Firefox, I have in my History, a list of "Previously Closed Tabs" that I can browse through to get the tab I want. Alternately, I can right-click on the tab bar and select "Undo close tab" a handful of times to get the tab I want, because I frequently won't remember the title of the page, I'll remember what it looked like.

I have seen Glims mentioned as a possibility, but then when I go to a page to download it, I see various comments talking about ads. I will look into SafariStand.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

FlashBangBob posted:

This is the case when you have an app to update but you are not signed in under the account that that app was purchased under. If you sign out and then hit updates, it should ask you to login under the user that purchased the app.

Didn't prompt me to sign in when I signed out and checked updates again.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

After some digging around…

Axiem posted:

Now I realize that my old Tab 2 had something on it that I wanted.

Ctrl-Z will "Undo typing", which doesn't help. I don't have anything in the "History" menu that allows me to open tabs that I previously closed. I do see the two articles from Tab 2 on that list (god forbid I clicked even more on foobar.com in-between), but clicking on either article overwrites the tab I'm currently in. I can middle-click, which does open a new tab, but it means I have a new tab, when what I wanted was Tab 2 back, with its full history stack.
What ⌘Z does will depend on the context. If you have a text field in focus, it undoes typing. If you have a general page or tab in focus, it will revert to undo close tab.

quote:

I have seen Glims mentioned as a possibility, but then when I go to a page to download it, I see various comments talking about ads. I will look into SafariStand.
It turns out that Glims was my problem, and rather counter-intuitively, it was its “undo close tabs” option that prevented Safari from undoing tabs with full history. :bang:

And the ads are entirely optional.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Tippis posted:

What ⌘Z does will depend on the context. If you have a text field in focus, it undoes typing. If you have a general page or tab in focus, it will revert to undo close tab.

But it won't let me undo close tabs multiple times, which is what I want: to grab the tab that I closed 3 closed tabs ago.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Axiem posted:

But it won't let me undo close tabs multiple times, which is what I want: to grab the tab that I closed 3 closed tabs ago.

Well, maybe that's a Glims thing then (since I completely forgot that it has tab options — I only got it for the search engine mods… but it still works even if I disable that functionality so vOv), but I can do that just fine. Granted, I will have to do 3 undos to get that particular tab, so it's not the drop-down list other browsers might offer, but I can still undo my way through the stack and just re-close the ones I don't want.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Is anyone else having issues using Parallels 8 to run a Windows 8 partition as a VM?

I decided to upgrade and Parallels was previously able to see my Win7 boot camp partition. I thought I was loving up the partition formatting (I use Boot Camp Assistant but am aware you then need to reformat in the Windows installer). Parallels still can't see the loving boot camp partition.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Choadmaster posted:

Try it in a different card reader on a different computer first. This (as little sense as it makes) solves my occasional can't-read-from-card problems 100% of the time. (And it's not just my reader - my roommate has to use mine instead of his occasionally for the same reasons. It is a mystery...)
This totally worked. I am mystified by it, but thanks for the suggestion! I probably never would have even tried that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Just got a new 15" MB Pro Retina (sadly only the 2.0GHz model) and finally able to use two external monitors instead of one with the old MB Pro - I love how Mavericks handles multiple displays with Mission Control :)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

ephori posted:

This totally worked. I am mystified by it, but thanks for the suggestion! I probably never would have even tried that.

You're welcome. I just got a (burned) CD from someone today that showed up as blank on my Mac. It worked fine on my roommate's. Who the gently caress knows. I always try everything twice on different computers, now.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I have two-step verification with Gmail. Is there any way to connect Messages to my GChat in this setup?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Can you not use an application-specific password?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Didn't know that existed. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Is it possible to use asr to restore over the root partition without booting into recovery? I have ~30 minis I'd like to image with an updated image, and don't really want to baby sit each one with a keyboard/mouse/monitor to reboot to recovery, restore image over the network, reboot again, change name, move on to next computer. Instead I'd like to ssh in, asr, reboot, screenshare in and set the computer name. If that's not possible is there any easy way to do what I want? (Or a better thread than this to ask?)