Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

mentholmoose posted:

The CraigK League.

I don't know about the other one.

scruffy seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Here is the link to the latest version of the script for Smasher's convenience

http://super-league.tk/SuperLeague.ahk

If you ever want to change the number of teams in the league, look in the first section of the script, there is a line that says "Loop, 24" just change the number to whatever you want.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

TMM: Any interest in pursuing trade talks per the PM I sent you?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mr. Cool rear end posted:

Here is the link to the latest version of the script for Smasher's convenience

http://super-league.tk/SuperLeague.ahk

If you ever want to change the number of teams in the league, look in the first section of the script, there is a line that says "Loop, 24" just change the number to whatever you want.

I guess someone could create something like statslab for baseball mogul (that's just one league), which would save you all hours every time a sim happens, but then this thread wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

tadashi posted:

I guess someone could create something like statslab for baseball mogul (that's just one league), which would save you all hours every time a sim happens, but then this thread wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

I like you tadashi, but that's objectively the worst idea ever.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Mogul actually has something like that built in, but it doesn't output the team schedules. Also, as I recall, it is kind of buggy. Also, I think the last time I used it, it overwrote all my league builder rosters for some reason.

Anyway, the script is pretty easy. You just set it off, go make a sandwich, and when you come back your images are all ready for upload. That's when you make the second sandwich.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
I finished inputting the rosters into the save file, and while I appreciate the fact that many of you appear to have spent an inordinate amount of time crafting your rosters with this season, planning as many platoon as humanly possible and figuring out the exact stadium dimensions and sliders your team needed for success, it occurs to me that, after I give you all a Week 0 look at your teams tomorrow, you're all going to make me do a bunch more working tweaking those rosters even more.

If only I could relegate all of you.

ForeverBWFC!

The RNG is a TTO Center fielder for April. Enjoy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

I finished inputting the rosters into the save file, and while I appreciate the fact that many of you appear to have spent an inordinate amount of time crafting your rosters with this season, planning as many platoon as humanly possible and figuring out the exact stadium dimensions and sliders your team needed for success, it occurs to me that, after I give you all a Week 0 look at your teams tomorrow, you're all going to make me do a bunch more working tweaking those rosters even more.

If only I could relegate all of you.

ForeverBWFC!

The RNG is a TTO Center fielder for April. Enjoy.

I solemnly pledge to not adjust my roster, outside of grotesque and painful-sounding injuries, until May.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Pander posted:

I solemnly pledge to not adjust my roster, outside of grotesque and painful-sounding injuries, until May.

I wouldn't believe him. He's a White Sox fan. Expect micro-management of Cthulhu levels.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I solemnly swear to not touch my roster at all.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I solemnly swear to not make moves based on small sample sized until like July, where i will start to play to the hot hand like the big dumb idiot i am like every season

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I solemnly swear nothing because I said that I would never trade in my first season at all and then did it anyway so clearly my word is worth nothing.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Is the RNG a leftie, rightie or (more appropriately) a switch hitter?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I promise: no trades until the super draft at earliest. And probably not even then.

...this is not difficult. I have zero trade able assets.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Hey, you keep wanting me to play Jose Rijo over one of my deadballers so I reserve the right to listen to your advice until Rijo implodes midseason, as usual :colbert:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

And I solemnly swear to destroy all of you.

Logistics: I had been thinking we would have a similar process to the EC, where I would put the save file on Dropbox or whatever and people with Mogul could just open it and find games to write about. But if we did that, then those people would not be able to do pick'em, and of course people with teams in the league couldn't do it either, and so there would be no point.

So instead, if you want to write, just let me know your email, or if you have PM that works too, and I'll send out games to people who volunteer to write. Hopefully there will be enough that I won't have to do any writing at all! Then I can concentrate on my first love: the spreadsheets.

Sub-Par League XIII, Week 0: Unsatisfactory Numerals

Remember: If something looks wrong with your roster or lineups, it's because you didn't post your intentions clearly enough. But don't worry, you have a couple of days to self-flagellate until you learn your lesson.

Analysis

If Josh Gibson plays up to his potential, this team should have the best offense in the league. But it remains to be seen whether they have enough pitching to take down the Corp.

Analysis

Helton and Fisk's rolls are concerning, but you still have Pete and Matty in the rotation, so I wouldn't worry too much yet.

Analysis

Champions... but for how long?

Analysis

35 really isn't all that old when you're Nolan Ryan. I still don't understand why Mon was so excited about Donn Pall.

Analysis

This team might end up with the highest strikeout rate of all time, but long balls will be a problem. Wait, four lefties and two Marmols in your bullpen? That strikes me as not such a good idea.

Analysis

Michael Young wants a spot! And hey, he's a marginally better fielder than Derek Jeter, right?

Analysis

The addition of Thome should help, but I don't know if it'll be enough.

Analysis

Kenny Lofton is the chosen one!

Analysis

That rotation is still terrifying, but did the bats improve enough to win a division? You still have no real impact players on offense.

Analysis

Pedro is old, but I don't think he's too old yet. For a definition of "too old", see the Chicago Corruption.

Analysis

Could this season be the last time we see the Gumshoes?

Analysis

I like Tulowitzki, I hope he does better this time around. And if it doesn't work out, you always have "Best Hitter In Baseball" Alexei Ramirez.

Analysis

The team that manages to kill these two scawalags for good will be handsomely rewarded.

Analysis

Please get a new catcher, soon. As for Al Rosen, yours is a 1947 model, and Rosen didn't play his first full season until 1950, so I can't say I'm all that surprised.

Analysis

I think a 95/100 rating is the best possible outcome for a 19 year old Alex Rod. Just make sure you never have to use your bench for anything.

Analysis

You may need to acquire a couple more Barry Bonds, to put in your starting rotation.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Things look great for me, but is there a way I can see my lineup vs RHP as I assume that where my team will get most of its playing time, except against the Corruption I guess... I am running 5 platoons afterall...

Also thanks for all the hard work!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

ForeverBWFC posted:

Is the RNG a leftie, rightie or (more appropriately) a switch hitter?

He's a leftie. For now.

McFreeze

You seem to have posted your Sub-Par league Week 0 before mine, because you have no sense of your station, sirrah!

But, seriously, do you want your Week 1 update to go up first, or mine? I don't care either way, but it's something we probably should coordinate.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Actually, I was going to post it yesterday, but I got distracted by a shiny penny.

Let's see, you have an off day at the all-star break, so it might make sense for me to go second. Then there's the fact that you have 7 (8?) playoff updates and I only have 3, but there's also the Gauntlet at the same time, so I guess we'll figure that part out when the time comes.

Pash posted:

Things look great for me, but is there a way I can see my lineup vs RHP as I assume that where my team will get most of its playing time, except against the Corruption I guess...

It is the one you asked for.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I can't sit here and ignore some of these rolls since at least one of them might have a significant impact on my pitching.

Please do the following:
Swap Carlton and Ellis
Swap Dibble and Cordero

I promise this is all I'm going to do for a while.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Four Lefties and Two Marmols: A New Fall sitcom only on CBS!

Should I set a DH lineup, mcfreeze? I wasn't sure if they were needed yet.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Swap Fingers and Reed again since it seems that I overreacted there. Fisk and Helton could have gotten better rolls but it's probably nothing to heartbreaking I hope.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Almost everything looks fine. Maybe due to ratings I'll consider abandoning my CF platoon later, but not now; I'll overreact come week 1, probably. For now, just switch Wally Moon to the bench and Lyman Bostock to the minors, like I had in my roster post. I have a slight feeling this was because Mogul rated Bostock a single point higher overall and it auto-sorted the two.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Pander posted:

Should I set a DH lineup, mcfreeze? I wasn't sure if they were needed yet.

You'll need one eventually, but I don't think it is until May or so.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Analysis

Champions... but for how long?

that depends, when do you plan to sim week 1

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Would like to change the following about the stadium now that I've actually put more than a few minutes thought into it.

Pander posted:

code:
Field

Stadium		
General Info		
Name:	The Mob Hut	
Structure	Domed	
Surface	Turf	

Dimensions		
Left Field Wall	        369	
Center-Left Alley	411	
Center Field Wall	422	
Center-Right Alley	400	
Right Field Wall	350

Playing Field		
Infield Quality	Average
Infield Grass	Very Short	
Visibility	Fair	
Foul Ground	Huge	
code:
Strategies		
Hit and Run:		-4
Sacrifice Bunt:		-2
Squeeze Play:		-3
Trying for extra bases:		3
Stealing Bases:		3
Aggressively Tagging Up:		2
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases):		-4
Giving Intentional Walks:		-4
Pitching Around Good Hitters:		-4
Bringing the Infield In:		-2
Guarding the Lines:		1
Making Cutoff Throws:		0
Bringing in Pinch Hitters:		0
Bringing in Pinch Runners:		0
Bringing in Defensive Replacements:		0
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest:		-1
Letting Pitchers pitch through trouble:		-1
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts:		2

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Also it's nice to know that McFreeze's copy of Mogul's AI vomits out the same paint-garglingly moronic lineup that mine does, I thought I had hosed it up by modifying the wrong file somewhere

I take that back McFreeze's started 08 Chipper Jones at second, it's worse

CraigK fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 30, 2014

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Also because you idiots don't know how this poo poo works and I do:

:siren: PLEASE DO NOT PANIC ABOUT THE FACT THAT YOUR PEDRO MARTINEZ IS STARTING AT SHORTSTOP FOR YOU AS MR COOL rear end ESQUIRE HASN'T YET RECOVERED FROM READING YOUR TERRIBLE LINEUPS THAT YOU HAVE POSTED AND HAS YET TO INPUT THEM INTO MOGUL PROPER :siren:

except you mon, that bullpen of yours is hopeless (like my posting)

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

CraigK posted:

Also because you idiots don't know how this poo poo works and I do:

:siren: PLEASE DO NOT PANIC ABOUT THE FACT THAT YOUR PEDRO MARTINEZ IS STARTING AT SHORTSTOP FOR YOU AS MR COOL rear end ESQUIRE HASN'T YET RECOVERED FROM READING YOUR TERRIBLE LINEUPS THAT YOU HAVE POSTED AND HAS YET TO INPUT THEM INTO MOGUL PROPER :siren:

except you mon, that bullpen of yours is hopeless (like my posting)

Hello, Craigory, you did not post a DH lineup, which is not a problem right this second, but it seems to be what you are looking at, so I just thought I would let you know.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Hello, Craigory, you did not post a DH lineup, which is not a problem right this second, but it seems to be what you are looking at, so I just thought I would let you know.

ssh, i thought i could lie to them to keep them from making random lineup decisions

and you RUINED IT

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Are the player ratings a pretty decent indicator of performance?

Wondering if I should start Dye (90) and bench Holliday (87?)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Wondering if I should start Dye (90) and bench Holliday (87?)
As a rough indicator they can be. A 90 player is pretty much always going to be worth playing over a 70 player.

But when the difference is a few points it's debatable, because the points may be coming from different sources. Maybe Dye is worse at contact and drawing walks but a much better defender and faster.

Who do you start?

In cases like this you're GENERALLY better off starting the guy with the better real life history (in this case Holliday) assuming no massive age discrepancies.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Yeah, furthermore Holliday seems to have a better SL history than Dye.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ok cool, thanks for the info gents.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I got excited for Pope Donn Pall because he's actually a halfway decent reliever and as Craig notes I am on short supply of those.

Now that I've seen how rolls shake out, I'm gonna post my lineup like a big dummy:

code:
#1 LF Raines
#2 3B Santo
#3 CF Mays
#4 1B Hurt
#5 RF Sosabreu Platoon
#6 C Lombardi
#7 SS Grich
#8 DH Wheat
#9 2B Doyle

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Monathin posted:

I got excited for Pope Donn Pall because he's actually a halfway decent reliever and as Craig notes I am on short supply of those.

In fact, he's sort of blandly average, but without strikeouts. Only his name is fun.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The only things the rating number can tell you within an acceptable range without the context of performance is whether a player is just too old (if the rating is depressed) or too young (e.g. 79/91) to perform well, if that player has improved or declined in the minors, or if that player suffers an injury and comes back with reduced ability.

Pander posted:

TMM: Any interest in pursuing trade talks per the PM I sent you?

It's not a bad deal in a vacuum, but my only sticking point is the decline I would suffer from losing one starter would almost offset the gain.

Grinnblade posted:

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

Why did my GPS app just start up?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Yeah, furthermore Holliday seems to have a better SL history than Dye.

Note that those are some small sample sizes, and you really don't get a sense for Holliday's fielding since he's often DHing (there's a reason for that).

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Also in response to the week zero question of did I improve my bats enough, while I may not have any offensive stars I upgraded every position except catcher, rf vs lhp, and 2b. I got this. Maybe...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Pander posted:

Note that those are some small sample sizes, and you really don't get a sense for Holliday's fielding since he's often DHing (there's a reason for that).

On the other hand, Dye had all of 27 games in LF, so it's not like he's guaranteed to be better defensively there.

The real lesson from all this is that you need a new LF guy, because neither Holliday or Dye are really worth starting at a premier offensive position.