Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Almost got smoked (again) today by someone at a stop sign taking a left who decided to punch it and jump out on a collision course with me as I was in the middle of turning onto the road they were on. This time it was real close too and I just barely got out of the way in time. At this rate I'm not sure if my new car is going to make it through the summer unscathed. It's definitely time for a dashcam (and start using the horn in such situations, which I usually don't like doing) before I end up on the side of the road arguing with some retard and having my car tied up in the body shop for the summer. I'd take pleasure going after the person involved and loving them over as much as possible...but I'd much rather not have random people collide with me because they lack comprehension of right of way and just continue on my way unharmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mariana Horchata posted:

Almost got smoked (again) today by someone at a stop sign taking a left who decided to punch it and jump out on a collision course with me as I was in the middle of turning onto the road they were on. This time it was real close too and I just barely got out of the way in time. At this rate I'm not sure if my new car is going to make it through the summer unscathed. It's definitely time for a dashcam (and start using the horn in such situations, which I usually don't like doing)

I'll never understand this - that's the point of the horn, an audible warning to other vehicles for situations just like yours. Not picking on you or anything, it just baffles me that so few people use a feature for its intended use - I know people get pissed when you honk, but gently caress 'em, if they were paying attention other people wouldn't need to wake their rear end up with a horn.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm generally thinking more about avoiding the accident than blowing my horn. Plus, if I do hit them, I don't really want my hand on top of my airbag.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MrLonghair posted:

This driver ignored two signs of roadwork warnings preceeding a 50 meter stretch, one sign of closed right lane, one worker flagging cars waving like mad and approaching it yelling, one road roller in action down the right lane with active signals that laid on the very powerful horn as the car cut it off, black fresh asphalt that was on the third lap of rolls and then the three workers seen here. Then the driver sat like that for 30 seconds not understanding why the workers wanted the car to gtfo.

At the time I wished it had been fresh cement instead so I could have seen the driver eat some serious punshments which brings me to my question: Is there an automotive equivalent to Darwin?

Apparently it's mustangs.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I'll never understand this

If you read this thread using your horn is just going to send a road-rager into a frenzy that will likely result in vehicular or regular homicide.

The best thing to do in such a situation is meekly wave and give that person the right of way, and if they hit you just immediately accept 100% fault and give them whatever they want because you never know what a mentally unstable person might do if questioned in any way.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Deeters posted:

Plus, if I do hit them, I don't really want my hand on top of my airbag.
I miss how my old Crown Vic had horn buttons separate from the airbag panel. Stupid automotive designers putting form ahead of function.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The issue is having any buttons at all on the center portion of the wheel. If you got a hand between you and the wheel in a wreck, it's going to get pinned between your chest and the airbag and something's going to get bruised or worse. To avoid that, all functions need to be thumb operable when you got both hands on the wheel.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Cars really need two horns; the loud horrible one that says "wake up fuckwit you're about to cause an accident" and a quieter nice one that says "hey the light's changed/you can make a right turn on red here/thanks for letting me merge". The respective buttons would have :( and :) symbols on them, of course

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Find the first one.

https://youtu.be/0rmBwCR1HVg

That could fit somewhere.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I'll never understand this - that's the point of the horn, an audible warning to other vehicles for situations just like yours. Not picking on you or anything, it just baffles me that so few people use a feature for its intended use - I know people get pissed when you honk, but gently caress 'em, if they were paying attention other people wouldn't need to wake their rear end up with a horn.

I really dont understand either, but my best guesses are: these instances where i almost get hit mid turn happen so quickly that im 100% fixated on avoiding getting hit (and honking earlier before turning would just confuse the other person and they would probably think im letting them go in their mind), I have a new car with a horn in the middle of the wheel and ive always had cars with side buttons for the horn that let you use it without moving ur hands at all, and lastly im also used to dealing with bad drivers who 'don't see you' frequently when i'm on my motorcycle which has a total joke of a horn so i do lots of motorcycle type avoidance tricks which have also become part of my repertoire in my car such as driving with lights on in dangerous spots, swerving repeatedly to increase visibility and prevent SMIDSYs, and tapping the brakes to get the attention of the phonegazer behind me when having to slow down quickly). My car (Fiesta ST) is also pretty loud so im not really sure the horn would be doing anything that the car isnt already but i definitely do agree with you that should certainly get back in the habit of using it in these frequent situations instead of mostly just when those in front of me are staring down at their phone when the light is green and about to turn red.

With my old 95M Miata I do recall installing and using a set of Nautilus air horns not long after i bought it and immediately after had my fill of close calls (but still never had an accident myself in 15+ yrs of driving) quite often due to similar factors which increased the risk of accidents (which was concerning given the Miata's lack of safety, esp in side collisions) from issues such as: tiny low car = major risk of SMIDSY as well as ppl thinking because your going >30mph with the engine wailing = definitely going straight, too fast to be turning left (nevermind both of my flashing left directionals on the corner lamp and mirror).

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 9, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

bizwank posted:

Cars really need two horns; the loud horrible one that says "wake up fuckwit you're about to cause an accident" and a quieter nice one that says "hey the light's changed/you can make a right turn on red here/thanks for letting me merge". The respective buttons would have :( and :) symbols on them, of course

Cars already come with 3 horns!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNODObAa7OU

This is the former, the latter is just one blip, the normal horn is if you hold the button down as long as required :haw:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

The issue is having any buttons at all on the center portion of the wheel. If you got a hand between you and the wheel in a wreck, it's going to get pinned between your chest and the airbag and something's going to get bruised or worse. To avoid that, all functions need to be thumb operable when you got both hands on the wheel.

This is the wheel I'm talking about (well the Lincoln variant, anyways). The horn buttons are the ones on the upper spokes, pretty much exactly where your thumbs naturally rest anyways. They were perfectly placed to always be easy to hit without any airbag danger.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Holding your hands at 10 and 2 is a great way to have two broken arms when the airbag goes off. Those buttons are not much better than a center horn.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

EightBit posted:

Holding your hands at 10 and 2 is a great way to have two broken arms when the airbag goes off. Those buttons are not much better than a center horn.

How else are you supposed to hold them?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
No steering wheel airbag crew sound off!

94 suburban

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

nsaP posted:

94 suburban

93 Passat. No airbag deployment made rebuilding it a breeze!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

nsaP posted:

94 suburban

87 Toyota FX16. If I get into some kinda front end collision at speed I won't have any legs left :(
Though I only really use it for paper routes or big grocery runs since I got the Ninja.

When I splattered a doe at 75mph in the 93 Volvo 240 wagon I did not have an airbag deploy, which was nice for maintaining control while getting on to the shoulder. It would have gotten home just fine too, if the battery hadn't been punctured by deer hoof. Scavenged a front end off a 740 and kept it for another year before it started devouring transmissions.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ambaire posted:

How else are you supposed to hold them?

I believe current driver's ed programs teach 3 and 9.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

EightBit posted:

:rolleyes:

Sounds like being near the steering wheel is the danger here. Either remove the airbag or stay at home in the basement in the dark under a blanket because everything will break your arms and kill you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Otla5157c

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Uthor posted:

I believe current driver's ed programs teach 3 and 9.

4 and 8 with shuffle steering is what's recommended now (and taught to police), but I don't think it's filtered down to all the education programs.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
3 and 9 is what race car drivers do and it is what I'll do. :colbert:.

But seriously the 8 and 4 feels completely unnatural and unsafe. You additionally are supposed to keep you hands cupped and not gripping the wheel. In other words your thumbs are to be on the outside of the wheel, not inside. This is specifically so you don't break your thumbs when the airbag rips you hands away from the wheel.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

um excuse me posted:

3 and 9 is what race car drivers do and it is what I'll do. :colbert:.

But seriously the 8 and 4 feels completely unnatural and unsafe. You additionally are supposed to keep you hands cupped and not gripping the wheel. In other words your thumbs are to be on the outside of the wheel, not inside. This is specifically so you don't break your thumbs when the airbag rips you hands away from the wheel.

Race car drivers don't have airbags =P. Though if you went with a six-point and HANS all the time that would work pretty well!

8 and 4 feels weird at first but I've been doing it for a few years now and I love, love, love it. I still do 9 and 3 on track with a bit of shuffle steering when necessary (I loathe crossing my hands up and am pretty solid with shuffle now), but on the road 8 and 4 feels great for puttering around.

Edit: I shuffle steer because my track cars both have manual racks that are pretty long lock-to-lock, and holding a heavily-weighted wheel at 100+ degrees through corners sucks.

Edit the Second: This is me on track, and yeah I shuffle steer too much but it just feels so natural to me at this point I can't help it. I'll have to really try to avoid it next time. As it is, though, I don't really have any issues counter-steering for oversteer, and I feel like if I can effectively countersteer an old 911 on track in the rain I must be doing something right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7IIZGcGXmE

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 9, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX6Msptajz8

One less Crossfire in the world and a left lane camper gets taken out. There's a little part of me that wishes he had hit the Impala who changed in to the passing lane without looking for faster approaching traffic first.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 9, 2016

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
"You can't pass me, Im a race car driver!"
/drifts into wall after gentle turn

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'm honestly surprised that doesn't happen more on that stretch of 77. Aside from Akron PD not having resources to do traffic enforcement I don't know why either, but seems like there's always some rear end in a top hat camping in the left lane who speeds up when you need to pass.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Geoj posted:

I'm honestly surprised that doesn't happen more on that stretch of 77. Aside from Akron PD not having resources to do traffic enforcement I don't know why either, but seems like there's always some rear end in a top hat camping in the left lane who speeds up when you need to pass.
Haha yea, that area is full of those kinds of idiots. The few random left exits give them a little bit of an excuse, but there's nothing of the sort near 162 so Crossfire guy just was spaced out until the yellow FoST showed up in their mirror.

I kinda wish I knew more of the ST owners in the area to figure out who the cammer was. The Youtube poster doesn't seem to be the actual source of the video, I assume it was ripped from someone's Facebook.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
As usual, everybody in that video is an idiot. Undertaking, left lane hogging, speeding, not checking mirrors, inability to recover from the slightest of oversteer, yelling at Siri instead of loving pulling over...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

bolind posted:

As usual, everybody in that video is an idiot. Undertaking, left lane hogging, speeding, not checking mirrors, inability to recover from the slightest of oversteer, yelling at Siri instead of loving pulling over...

undertaking is 100% legal in many US states, and the only way to actually get anywhere if there's a stack of loving nimrods staring at each others asses/navels in the passing lane.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I'm just surprised to see that sort of behavior from a Crossfire driver. It's one of those "sporty" cars that I've never in my life seen being driven with any sort of gusto. I remember when it came out the ads bragging about it being tested in Germany and all that but it just seemed like another ugly, overpriced and underpowered Chrysler and is usually driven like one.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I would have pulled over where it was safe, but probably react more like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2kovsuvfqg&t=69s

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

bolind posted:

Dude with the camera didn't do anything really wrong beside yelling at siri. Maybe if he got going really fast, but it didn't look like it. Undertaking is sadly a (legal) necesity in the US.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

bolind posted:

Why in the world would he pull over? Calling in the accident is more than he was morally or legally obligated to do for the guy.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If I didn't "undertake" a hundred people a day and move between lanes as necessary I'd be stuck doing 40 on the highway behind chucklefucks who think one person in the right lane means a line of cars needs to fill the left lane to a solid block of cars in the left lane and no, none of them can move back to the right because there's a car a half mile ahead too.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I pretty much don't even make an attempt to get someone to move over. Some guy is camping in the left lane, whatever, I just go around on the right. No point in wasting my time and getting angry about it.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
That's the thing that I don't get about this thread, you really sit behind someone for miles in the left lane if they won't move over? If you're cruising along in the middle lane and someone is going slow in the left do you change over behind them and make them move over so you're technically correct?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

davebo posted:

I'm just surprised to see that sort of behavior from a Crossfire driver. It's one of those "sporty" cars that I've never in my life seen being driven with any sort of gusto. I remember when it came out the ads bragging about it being tested in Germany and all that but it just seemed like another ugly, overpriced and underpowered Chrysler and is usually driven like one.

It looked less like "wanna race bro" and more like passive aggressive OH YOU WANT TO PASS ME? HOW DARE YOU PASS ME. THIS IS MY LANE AND I WILL BE IN THE FRONT gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU douchebaggery, which I am not at all surprised to see from a Crossfire driver.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Uthor posted:

What are you supposed to do when you're in a roundabout and an emergency vehicle comes up behind you? Complete the roundabout like normal and then pull over?
If I'm in a situation where there is no "good" way to pull out the path when a non-police emergency vehicle comes up behind me, I just accelerate out ahead of them to get to one.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.28

Looks like undertaking is indeed legal in Ohio.

http://youtubedoubler.com/iwHG

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 9, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'll be honest, that's a lot closer to what my reaction would have been. I deal with far too many of that sort of jackass every day to not have some schadenfreude when they gently caress up without hurting anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

kastein posted:

It looked less like "wanna race bro" and more like passive aggressive OH YOU WANT TO PASS ME? HOW DARE YOU PASS ME. THIS IS MY LANE AND I WILL BE IN THE FRONT gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU douchebaggery, which I am not at all surprised to see from a Crossfire driver.
The Cleveland Show pretty much nailed this character/car combination: