Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I knew a rich kid (he wasn't really that rich just upper middle class and spoiled rotten really) and he was quite a selfish dick. Like he'd be cool most of the time... but then he'd do weird poo poo like he'd have his mom start bringing pizza on Fridays but not enough for all his friends so during the week everyone curried favor with him in order to get pizza.

I went to his house once and he started SCREAMING at his mom because the sandwich he demanded from her still had the crusts on the bread and he refused to eat it at all even if she then cut the crusts off. She made a whole new sandwich.

Must have been some really bad parenting for him to be like that by 6th/7th grade. Nobody told him no ever or he'd just throw a loving fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

COMRADES posted:

I knew a rich kid (he wasn't really that rich just upper middle class and spoiled rotten really) and he was quite a selfish dick. Like he'd be cool most of the time... but then he'd do weird poo poo like he'd have his mom start bringing pizza on Fridays but not enough for all his friends so during the week everyone curried favor with him in order to get pizza.

I sliced my finger open in the cafeteria real good in 7th grade. blood went everywhere. I will never forget watching all of my friends jump up to help me while my rich friend reflexively covered his lunch with his body, turned, and kept eating.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

most people who had a "rich friend" really knew a kid whose parents were petit bourgeois.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Hear me out here - the rich do the most damage to people they barely know (and/or who work for them), them being nice to kids in their class doesn't mean jack.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Well they would, given that you actually came into existence at the moment of upload and you’re remembering the memories of a dead person. Or a very confused one staring at the computer and asking why he’s still here.

Lmao that you believe continuity of consciousness is real

hope you don't need surgery anytime soon

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SOMA had a pretty solid perspective on the issue, pretty neat little game

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dreddout posted:

Lmao that you believe continuity of consciousness is real

hope you don't need surgery anytime soon

Is there an essential you that can be transferred into the computer ala the teleporter on Star Trek, or is it like backing up your hard drive? What happens to your hard drive when you back it up?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Is there an essential you that can be transferred into the computer ala the teleporter on Star Trek, or is it like backing up your hard drive? What happens to your hard drive when you back it up?

actually, in stark trek there is no continuity. it makes a copy and you get destroyed. as evidenced by the episode where there are two rikers thanks to a transporter glitch.

altho it may be inconsistent about this i think it's canon. also imo how it would work irl.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Whch member of Congress would you most want to eat your rear end

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Whch member of Congress would you most want to eat your rear end

an idiot might say aoc, which is dumb as hell when you've got rear end eating champions like schumer in the lineup.

DONT THREAD ON ME has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Apr 13, 2019

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

an idiot might say aoc, which is dumb as hell when you've got an rear end eating champion like schumer in the lineup.

Careful, when you gently caress Chuck Schumer you're also loving all of the suburban white families that live in his head

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

an idiot might say aoc, which is dumb as hell when you've got an rear end eating champions like schumer in the lineup.

I posted that in the wrong thread

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I don't think any thread is the wrong thread for that post

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
how can you possibly overlook ted Cruz and his wonderful beard

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
honestly trump's got some serious DSLs on him,

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

It's wrongheaded to assume there's a consistent "you" in the first place

Are you the same you that fell asleep yesterday? Are you the same you from a second ago?

This thought experiment goes in circles because the you that wakes up from the brain upload/biopsy/bed will just assume they've always been "you" in the first place

People get in the Star trek transport because it's convenient the same way people go under general anesthesia because it reduces pain they aren't thinking existential questions during it

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

As time goes on I identify more with my unconscious mind as the real"me" the notion of your consciousness being you is a pretty recent development from the enlightenment

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dreddout posted:

It's wrongheaded to assume there's a consistent "you" in the first place

Are you the same you that fell asleep yesterday? Are you the same you from a second ago?

This thought experiment goes in circles because the you that wakes up from the brain upload/biopsy/bed will just assume they've always been "you" in the first place

People get in the Star trek transport because it's convenient the same way people go under general anesthesia because it reduces pain they aren't thinking existential questions during it

Epistemologically speaking, these sorts of questions are different from the kind you’d ask a set of identical twins, whether or not one was living inside a hard drive and the other staring quizzically outside of it.

Like, if you make a copy of yourself and he walks away and you’re still standing there, you’re not him. He might be you, but not in any sense that would prevent you from wanting to get your money back from the immortality salesman.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh come on your brain doesn't shut completely off under general anesthesia

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

maybe true but it shuts off when i read youre posts!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

most people who had a "rich friend" really knew a kid whose parents were petit bourgeois.

haha. my "rich" friend made an impression on me because he lived in a big rear end 2-story house and it had a room that was dedicated to just storing a massive amount of lego sets. in hindsight I'm guessing they probably were not the Scrooge McDuck level people I had imagined them to be at the time.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Epistemologically speaking, these sorts of questions are different from the kind you’d ask a set of identical twins, whether or not one was living inside a hard drive and the other staring quizzically outside of it.

Like, if you make a copy of yourself and he walks away and you’re still standing there, you’re not him. He might be you, but not in any sense that would prevent you from wanting to get your money back from the immortality salesman.

Any "feasible" uploading will require the brain to be destroyed during the process so it's not a question of having a copy

That also means it's not going to stop anyone from having their brain chopped up and uploaded. For their uploaded self would have gotten what they payed for and not spent a second thought to the bloody gray matter being swept into a biohazard bag

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

It does however prevent the individual parts of your brain from communicating with each other. Which means that while you're under there can't be said to be a consciousness floating around in there

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

uber_stoat posted:

haha. my "rich" friend made an impression on me because he lived in a big rear end 2-story house and it had a room that was dedicated to just storing a massive amount of lego sets. in hindsight I'm guessing they probably were not the Scrooge McDuck level people I had imagined them to be at the time.

Was that rich kid me?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

To their credit some shows basically do this, willing to throw money around for status symbols but not necessarily secure

I think Daria basically implied Lawndale was a pretty upscale area since most everyone lived in big houses, and social class actually is acknowledged in the finale movie where everyone's looking into colleges or whatever they're going to do after graduation. (and Daria's late season boyfriend is from old money and notably DOESN'T go to her school)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

is this the thread for this? feels like a hot take to me

unchecked government! :doom:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
tons of white folks on the coast were itching for an excuse to put those uppity asians in their place for daring to own houses and businesses. fdr fidnt just write that order on his own

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Remember The Prestige. That movie was pretty cool

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Israel is the Rhodesia of the middle east.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Remember The Prestige. That movie was pretty cool

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ThatTimWalker/status/1117332848506228738?s=19

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

COMRADES posted:

I went to his house once and he started SCREAMING at his mom because the sandwich he demanded from her still had the crusts on the bread and he refused to eat it at all even if she then cut the crusts off. She made a whole new sandwich.

Must have been some really bad parenting for him to be like that by 6th/7th grade. Nobody told him no ever or he'd just throw a loving fit.

Presidential material. :allears:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/nfergus/status/1117233701102821377

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The author is Intellectual NATO’s Turkey.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

"You have my calipers!"
"And my 'facts'!"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jessesingal/status/1117111970761728001?s=21

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jessesingal/status/1117077434032119808
https://twitter.com/jessesingal/status/1117079084268388352

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

these tweets led me to his tl today but the cargo shorts thing was just too much

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is that guy actually a piece of performance art? He’s never written a word worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

django unmoderated