Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It's terrifying how quaint Bridgegate seems anymore. Oh, a governor shut down a major bridge for political revenge? Just one governor, and just one bridge? Ho hum.

e: are we still doing dogs? I forget.

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
So from 98-100, how much of a regressive shitheel is that guy?

Note you can go above 100, but please try to be reasonable.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
I haven't been following, which human rights laws is May referring to?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PhazonLink posted:

So from 98-100, how much of a regressive shitheel is that guy?

Note you can go above 100, but please try to be reasonable.

I can't wait to see how he answers "Did Trump ask you to kill the Russia investigation" during his confirmation hearings.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

All of them

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

Whichever ones are inconvenient.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That...is...hosed.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Yeah but what does she think about a liveable wage

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Last night was NJ primary to see who from each party will run for Chris Christy's replacement and numbers are very interesting.

quote:

Roughly 240,000 people participated in the Republican primary this year, which is down from 2009, the last time the position was contested on the Republican side. In 2009, 334,000 people voted in the Republican gubernatorial primary, according to the New Jersey Department of State, meaning there was a drop of nearly 100,000 votes this year compared to six years ago. On the other hand, in 2017, 493,000 people voted on the Democratic side, up from 200,000 in 2009.

http://www.nj.gov/state/elections/election-results/2009-official-primary-elect-governor-tallies-062909.pdf

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Caufman posted:

Of course he'll try, but once the gears of the ankle-deep state turn, they cannot brake that quickly.

You keep thinking this guy can play chess when in fact, you need to think 'finger painting.'

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I can't wait to see how he answers "Did Trump ask you to kill the Russia investigation" during his confirmation hearings.

There's no way he won't be asked by democratic senators and there's no way Trump didn't ask him about doing so when selecting him.

Comedy option is for the GOP to avoid putting him under oath for the hearings.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Last night was NJ primary to see who from each party will run for Chris Christy's replacement and numbers are very interesting.

http://www.nj.gov/state/elections/election-results/2009-official-primary-elect-governor-tallies-062909.pdf

Holy poo poo :aaaaa:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/872423124050083840

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

It's just a primary etc. etc. but that seems to be very telling of voter engagement or lack therof.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/872429756574298113

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/pseudonymousrex/status/872428864416268289

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

When North Korea attacks your egoism.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/872415347386830848

quote:

In a statement Tuesday, Pyongyang said Washington's move represented "the height of egoism and moral vacuum seeking only their own well-being, even at the cost of the entire planet."

The selfish act of the US does not only have grave consequences for the international efforts to protect the environment, but poses great danger to other areas as well," a spokesman for the North Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, according to state news agency KCNA.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Way to put us on the wrong side of the glorious Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Timeless Appeal posted:

Obama might be the first US President who becomes more powerful after his presidency. I think stuff like the video in support of Macron is a sign of things to come. Trump might be President. Obama is still a leader if not the leader.

Jimmy Carter.

Or Reagan (if you count power attributed to him and not power he personally wields)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Night10194 posted:

So is this like, the first time in the last 16 years GOP politicians have ever, ever admitted they were wrong about this poo poo.

No, because the people who originally passed the cuts still insisted they were right. Democrats voted for moderate Republicans in primaries (plus backlash by suburban Republicans over cuts to their schools) and the Brownback supporters were kicked out.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Woah, talk about firing up the opposition!

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

PST posted:

It's just a primary etc. etc. but that seems to be very telling of voter engagement or lack therof.

I'm getting flashbacks to the 2016 presidential primaries, where the much higher than normal turnout for the Republican contests was hand-waved away by very knowledgeable people. Don't you know that the number of primary voters isn't correlated with turnout during the election?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

No statement from Wray or his staff makes me wonder if they even knew he was getting the nomination.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/872431865931735041

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

I mean, wouldn't NK be receiving funds from developed nations? Don't they have a stake in ensuring everyone signs the Paris agreement?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/ReutersTech/status/872183197362212865
Oh my god please let there be some sort of dumb supreme court case about why that goon calling Trump an inbred dogfucker can't be constiutionally blocked on Twitter

I'm trying!

I've moved up to calling him an incestuous child molester for his relationship with his daughter.

No response yet.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

oops conflict of interest guess you can't investigate me anymore :smith:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, if he appoints a guy whose whole schtick is 'use the FBI to protect me/my buddies' after making GBS threads on the FBI as much as he did, the leaks will grow more and more.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phoix posted:

No statement from Wray or his staff makes me wonder if they even knew he was getting the nomination.

Haha, but surely, Trump would have made sure to prepare the guy for this well thought out, calculated decision... Oh right. Yeah, they never told him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It'd be really hilarious if he didn't tell Wray, and when they actually offer it to him he says no.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Sinteres posted:

Yesterday Trump made Spicer tell everyone his tweets are official White House statements, so I think that line of defense has been abandoned. Trump didn't like his surrogates telling everyone to ignore him.

Spicer said both "Trumps tweets are important" and "Seriously, the media needs to stop focusing on his tweets" in the exact same sentence yesterday. They have not abandoned that line of defense in the slightest.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

You know, if he appoints a guy whose whole schtick is 'use the FBI to protect me/my buddies' after making GBS threads on the FBI as much as he did, the leaks will grow more and more.

Probably. I'm sure a ton of agents feel it's their Constitutional and moral duty to uphold the law by leaking conversations and knowledge of the investigation rather than involve themselves in the nepotistic predilections of an increasingly senile fat rear end like Trump.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Well, they're the kind of stories that signal how the US is a failed state, or more accurately a loose confederation of states with radically different ideologies, only glued together by their common belief in exceptionalism and the convenience of a combined military might.

Nobody wants to talk about that.
You've literally described the intent of half of the founders of the country. It took two-and-a-half centuries, but it looks like the Anti-Federalists are finally getting their day in the sun. :911:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
And THERE IT IS. THE RUSSIAN CONNECTION. The man the President wants to be the FBI head's law firm is a consultant for Rosneft.

http://www.energyintel.com/pages/articlesummary/895380/us-firm-to-consult-rosneft-on-lng

quote:

LNG Intelligence

US Firm to Consult Rosneft on LNG
Friday, August 7, 2015
Summary
US law firm King & Spalding LLC has won a tender to become a consultant of Russian blacklisted Rosneft on its future LNG projects, according to Russian press citing the materials of the state-controlled oil major.

And who, you may ask, is Rosneft? This article from 2 hours ago:

quote:

Russia's sale of one-fifth of its state-owned oil company to Qatar and commodities giant Glencore PLC last year had an unusual provision: Moscow and Doha agreed Russia would buy a stake back, people familiar with the matter said.

Russian President Vladimir Putin hailed the EUR10.2 billion ($11.5 billion) sale of the PAO Rosneft stake in December as a sign of investor confidence in his country. But the people with knowledge of the deal say it functioned as an emergency loan to help Moscow through a budget squeeze.

Moscow agreed with Qatar that Russia would buy back at least a portion of the stake from the rich Persian Gulf emirate, the people said. The Qatar Investment Authority and Glencore, the Swiss-based commodities giant, formed a partnership to buy the 19.5% stake in Russia's energy jewel at a time when Mr. Putin's government needed cash.

The people with knowledge of the deal say the buyback arrangement was negotiated with involvement from Mr. Putin and the emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani. Russia and Qatar saw it as an opportunity to build a bridge between countries that had taken up opposite sides in the Syrian civil war, the people familiar said. One of the people said the buyback would happen in the next 10 years.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said he didn't agree with the characterization of the deal as an emergency loan. He didn't respond to further questions.

Glencore and the Qatar Investment Authority said the deal's contract contained no right for Russia to buy back Rosneft shares from the consortium they created.

"The transaction did not include an option or agreement for Rosneft, Rosneftegaz or the Russian state to buy the stake or parts of the stake acquired by the consortium," Glencore said.

"The consortium alone controls the future ownership of these shares," the Qatar Investment Authority said through a London public-relations firm.

Rosneft, the world's largest listed oil producer, is traded publicly in Moscow, but it isn't easy to buy and sell large pieces of the company because it remains majority-owned by the Russian state and is an instrument of economic power for Mr. Putin.k

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 7, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

More people voted for the winning Democrat than voted in the entire Republican Primary.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Raylen posted:

Probably. I'm sure a ton of agents feel it's their Constitutional and moral duty to uphold the law by leaking conversations and knowledge of the investigation rather than involve themselves in the nepotistic predilections of an increasingly senile fat rear end like Trump.

I think it's less that and more that the FBI is ferocious about being 'independent'. Remember that Deep Throat didn't leak because he was pissed about Nixon's threats to the constitution, just his attempts to point a toady as director of the FBI.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

I don't exactly know, but on NPR shortly after the attack, a lot of people interviewed were saying that the U.K. Government needs to do more, and if increases in surveillance are needed, then that's what the government needs to do. So at least increasing surveillance talking points we're going around, so privacy may suffer.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Comstar posted:

And THERE IT IS. THE RUSSIAN CONNECTION. The man the President wants to be the FBI head's law firm is a consultant for Rosneft.

http://www.energyintel.com/pages/articlesummary/895380/us-firm-to-consult-rosneft-on-lng

I'm confused by the word blacklisted in regards to rosneft. Wouldn't that mean Russia has banned them? Or is there a different meaning in this context?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

nachos posted:

Has she always been this broken?

Yes, Theresa May has always been a Tory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm confused by the word blacklisted in regards to rosneft. Wouldn't that mean Russia has banned them? Or is there a different meaning in this context?

The US (and EU) have blacklisted Rosneft and a few other Russian monopolies.

• Locked thread