Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
What the hell font are they using that 9 looks like 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

lmao, I wanted this to look any % better at all than it turned out. what a goof

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Moon Slayer posted:

Oldie but a goodie:

FYI, for those that haven't worked in maintenance or supply, a lightbulb for a vehicle is often called a lamp.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

A.o.D. posted:

FYI, for those that haven't worked in maintenance or supply, a lightbulb for a vehicle is often called a lamp.

Given how inventory systems work in other jobs, even in other branches, I'm still disappointed that two digits off is the difference between light bulb type 1 and boat anchor and not light bulb type 1 amber, or red.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Steezo posted:

Given how inventory systems work in other jobs, even in other branches, I'm still disappointed that two digits off is the difference between light bulb type 1 and boat anchor and not light bulb type 1 amber, or red.

They were 200 items off, who knows how many light bulbs there were in between

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Malachite_Dragon posted:

What the hell font are they using that 9 looks like 7

Sans Sobriety

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
This is a very neat article about a family that was walking down the street and saw a man lying face down, bleeding. They did CPR for 9 minutes (!) until the fire department arrived, and ultimately saved his life. The dude they did the CPR on was the Commandant of the Marine Corps: https://wapo.st/3JWRYEv

The Idiots Thread part of this, though, is that the Commandant not only had a bad heart valve, but apparently knew about it for years and still did extensive cardio without having anything done to repair it. Guess he was Built Different, but, not in a good way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
a bicuspid valve isn’t really a thing that you need surgery for if it’s not causing you any problems. This guy was just very unlucky that the first symptom he experienced was cardiac arrest

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
First REPORTED symptom

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Punished Ape posted:

Sans Sobriety

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Punished Ape posted:

Sans Sobriety

:drat:

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Xakura posted:

They were 200 items off, who knows how many light bulbs there were in between

Hold on, let me summon facie, he'd know but I bet between all the vehicle and equipment typed there's at leadt 200. Most of the supply fuckups I've dealt with were someone ordering the wrong ammo, i.e tracers on dry ranges during black flag weather, or the other companies ratfucking the ammo order and the fuckwit ammo clerk in Sante fe being fine with signing out the wrong poo poo. Something that is a court martial offense in the Marines.

The NG really hated that there were standards for competency that aren't fellating the rank. I blame all the cops that are reservists.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I would assume that order codes include a check-digit, so if you mangle the number you only have a 10% chance of getting another real number?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That would be smart, so we don't do that here.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Wibla posted:

That would be smart, so we don't do that here.

If only there were someone who could explain National Stock Numbers! Goddamnit facie wake up I'm too tired to understand them, let alone explain.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Steezo posted:

If only there were someone who could explain National Stock Numbers! Goddamnit facie wake up I'm too tired to understand them, let alone explain.

I've been told that story half a dozen times. It's not always a lamp but it's always a boat anchor. It makes more sense when someone says the FSC was wrong by one digit because they determine the type of item. Changing any of the last 4 will almost always get you the same type of thing.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Leviathan Song posted:

I've been told that story half a dozen times. It's not always a lamp but it's always a boat anchor. It makes more sense when someone says the FSC was wrong by one digit because they determine the type of item. Changing any of the last 4 will almost always get you the same type of thing.

That would make sense but I'm working nights and tired so nothing makes sense right now.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
i was under the impression the anchor thing was real...

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-clerk-anchor-fort-carson/

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

i was under the impression the anchor thing was real...

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-clerk-anchor-fort-carson/

People screwing up and ordering absurdly wrong items does happen so the story has some level of truth but there's no anchor with an NSN that ends in 4772. It's not even that hard to search haystacks and verify that part is bullshit.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, the anchor thing was real. I lived in Colorado Springs at the time and I remember the local news covering it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Meh I once sent a fuel barge to the wrong boat, gently caress ups happen.

Had a guy gently caress up once, wanted to order 12 crates of det cord, ordered 12 pallets. Supplier wouldn't take it back because "We don't sell that much in a year", and I was like, my brother in Christ, why did you not confirm the order before making it?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

FrozenVent posted:

Meh I once sent a fuel barge to the wrong boat, gently caress ups happen.

Had a guy gently caress up once, wanted to order 12 crates of det cord, ordered 12 pallets. Supplier wouldn't take it back because "We don't sell that much in a year", and I was like, my brother in Christ, why did you not confirm the order before making it?

and lose out on those profits?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Leviathan Song posted:

People screwing up and ordering absurdly wrong items does happen so the story has some level of truth but there's no anchor with an NSN that ends in 4772. It's not even that hard to search haystacks and verify that part is bullshit.

It happened in 1985 so the number's probably been changed since then.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

FrozenVent posted:

Had a guy gently caress up once, wanted to order 12 crates of det cord, ordered 12 pallets.

My current command has enough picture frames to last for approximately the next hundred years due to a mix-up between "individual units" and "boxes".

A buddy of mine has a good sea story about his LPO who made a typo on an order form and, instead of ordering several thousand rounds of 9mm ammo for the ship's pistol quals, ordered several thousand hand grenades. They pulled back in to the pier to find some MA's guarding a bunch of pallets and a supply officer with a lot of questions.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It happened in 1985 so the number's probably been changed since then.

That's not how they work. The system was created in 1974 and they don't reuse numbers. If there was an anchor with that number in 1985 it's still in the system even if no one has used one in decades. If you want to be as bored as I was the day I looked for the anchor, here"s the reference:

https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/dodm/410039m.pdf?ver=2019-06-04-090814-687

I know it's a fun story but it has at most vaguely true with embellished details.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wingnut Ninja posted:

My current command has enough picture frames to last for approximately the next hundred years due to a mix-up between "individual units" and "boxes".

A buddy of mine has a good sea story about his LPO who made a typo on an order form and, instead of ordering several thousand rounds of 9mm ammo for the ship's pistol quals, ordered several thousand hand grenades. They pulled back in to the pier to find some MA's guarding a bunch of pallets and a supply officer with a lot of questions.

Bad news: Pistol qualifications canceled.
Good news: Grenade qualifications!

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

MrYenko posted:

jesus it's bad enough running a pistol range for officers and back office NCOs

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

MrYenko posted:

Whenever we had ammo or munitions-type stuff that we couldn't turn back in we'd do a spend-ex and burn it all. That's how we ended up setting a live-fire range on fire. And running for our lives as the forest shot live rounds that people had tossed into it back at us.

I'm imagining a bunch of junior enlisted sitting on the stern of a boat with crates of grenades, just pulling pins and throwing them into the water.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Who needs qualifications when you can fish with explosives.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Gorilla Radio posted:

I'm imagining a bunch of junior enlisted sitting on the stern of a boat with crates of grenades, just pulling pins and throwing them into the water.

I'm not sure if you mean throwing the grenade, or throwing the entire crate, and honestly both sound pretty fun.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you pull one pin would it be enough to sympathetic-detonation the entire crate, or are the casings too thick for that?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/kDIMdAU.mp4

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Watch above the bike, wtf went flying off straight up into the air?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stravag posted:

A shoe, I think.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Why did the bike take off like a startled horse…?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
presumably the person riding it panicked or wasn't controlling their throttle hand properly and kept the gas on even when they very much shouldn't have.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That is someone who has clearly never ridden a motorcycle before.

Nor, apparently, tied their shoelaces.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

hypnophant posted:

jesus it's bad enough running a pistol range for officers and back office NCOs

Last time I did a grenade range I had to fight the urge to pull the pin and hold it close. It was not a good year.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Stravag posted:

an insurance premium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

A shoe, I think.

This is a level of dead we don’t usually post here :(