Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Deteriorata posted:

Actually, Airbnb Drives Up Rent Costs in Manhattan and Brooklyn, Report Says

So it's not harmless, it makes housing shortages worse.

As you point out, though, while Congress has the authority to act, it's an area left to local authorities as a national policy would be a rather blunt instrument for dealing with it.

I didn't say it was harmless, but speaking for the likely majority of voters, I don't really care. Whatever minor harm it may cause is worth it. Its similar to the stories of hardship from taxi drivers about Uber. It may suck for them, but you are not going to stop people from offering a ride or a room on the internet for a fee, and I'm not going to support blocking progress to preserve an outdated system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rigel posted:

Its similar to the stories of hardship from taxi drivers about Uber.

No, not at all.

Regular people needs housing more than rich people need cheap vacation pads.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 4, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Rigel posted:

I didn't say it was harmless, but speaking for the likely majority of voters, I don't really care. Whatever minor harm it may cause is worth it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that you may not live in one of the neighborhoods getting hosed by airbnb, where the local voters have a significantly different opinion.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rigel posted:

I'm not going to support blocking progress to preserve an outdated system.
Because there's nothing more progressive than union-busting and unregulated piecemeal work.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The context in which I brought it up was that my city passed an ordinance banning AirBnB altogether for housing unoccupied by the owner, so the state level pre-empted with a compromise bill, and I figure that if the state level can overrule the city level, and I figure if red states with major cities are going to keep doing this, it's "turnabout is fair play" to take it to the federal level at least for the parts that don't directly have to do with zoning laws

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rigel posted:

I didn't say it was harmless, but speaking for the likely majority of voters, I don't really care. Whatever minor harm it may cause is worth it. Its similar to the stories of hardship from taxi drivers about Uber. It may suck for them, but you are not going to stop people from offering a ride or a room on the internet for a fee, and I'm not going to support blocking progress to preserve an outdated system.

There's nothing "progressive" about either AirBnB or Uber. They exist by exploiting loopholes in labor laws and zoning regulations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

There's nothing "progressive" about either AirBnB or Uber. They exist by exploiting loopholes in labor laws and zoning regulations.

Not only that, but their entire profitability comes from regulatory arbitrage, because these loopholes are not available to their main competition. In cities where uber drivers are required to be licensed and are treated like cab drivers uber is far less profitable and most people treat it as indistinguishable from regular cabs. Airbnb, uber, and most of this gig economy would essentially disappear if there was regulatory parity with the sectors they want to "disrupt."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Rigel posted:

The "progress" you refer to consists entirely of social harm.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

perhaps arguing over uber isn't a supreme court issue

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’d be great if it were, though.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It's also loving amazing in rural areas where there's no public transit and the cabs, if they even go there, either charge you out the rear end or take forever to actually show up.

Blanket federal restrictions aren't really appropriate for this sort of heavily local issue.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

"Loopholes" is a bit of a strong word - it's more that they're just breaking laws and use their massive amounts of money to dodge and delay consequences as long as possible.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

evilweasel posted:

perhaps arguing over uber isn't a supreme court issue

However, in a tangentially related issue, the California Supreme Court just issued an opinion in Dynamex Operations West, Inc. v. Superior Court: http://www.courts.ca.gov/opinions/documents/S222732.PDF

In that opinion, California adopted the ABC test for determining if a worker is an independent contractor. It starts with a presumption that the worker is an employee, which can be rebutted only if the hiring entity establishes all three of:

quote:

(A) that the worker is free from the control and direction of the hirer in connection with the performance of the work, both under the contract for the performance of such work and in fact;
(B) that the worker performs work that is outside the usual course of the hiring entity’s business; and
(C) that the worker is customarily engaged in an independently established trade, occupation, or business of the same nature as the work performed for the hiring entity.

This essentially means that Uber et. al will have to classify all of their drivers as employees now in California - and also means it's very difficult to have any independent contractors as staff augmentation in California. Further, CA follows Massachusetts and New Jersey in this, which may start more dominoes falling.

Subjunctive posted:

It’d be great if it were, though.

It essentially just was a California supreme court issue, and it will likely be a US Supreme Court issue eventually. There's a case that is about to be appealed to the 3rd Circuit on the issue that came out the opposite way as the CA Supreme Court.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uber-lawsuit/u-s-judge-says-uber-drivers-are-not-companys-employees-idUSKBN1HJ31I

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ulmont posted:

It essentially just was a California supreme court issue, and it will likely be a US Supreme Court issue eventually. There's a case that is about to be appealed to the 3rd Circuit on the issue that came out the opposite way as the CA Supreme Court.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uber-lawsuit/u-s-judge-says-uber-drivers-are-not-companys-employees-idUSKBN1HJ31I

Can't wait for Gorsuch's take.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rigel posted:

Both can only exist by exploiting systems in the most regressive ways possible. But congrats on your entry to the Republican party, I guess?

ulmont posted:

However, in a tangentially related issue, the California Supreme Court just issued an opinion in Dynamex Operations West, Inc. v. Superior Court: http://www.courts.ca.gov/opinions/documents/S222732.PDF

In that opinion, California adopted the ABC test for determining if a worker is an independent contractor. It starts with a presumption that the worker is an employee, which can be rebutted only if the hiring entity establishes all three of:

This essentially means that Uber et. al will have to classify all of their drivers as employees now in California - and also means it's very difficult to have any independent contractors as staff augmentation in California. Further, CA follows Massachusetts and New Jersey in this, which may start more dominoes falling.

I have zero faith that the SCOTUS would uphold that ruling if/when it gets to them. In the meanwhile, congrats to Californian workers having one less way of being completely hosed over by parasite economy companies like Ube.?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

I have zero faith that the SCOTUS would uphold that ruling if/when it gets to them. In the meanwhile, congrats to Californian workers having one less way of being completely hosed over by parasite economy companies like Ube.?

The California ruling was under state law, so won't go to SCOTUS. The PA case will eventually go to SCOTUS for a federal determination. In the meantime PA or similar could adopt or pass a corresponding ABC test for use under their state laws.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

evilweasel posted:

This sort of local property use is the sort of thing that's generally reserved to local governments (not even state governments), there's no reason to regulate it on a national level.
Does it fall more under the Commerce Clause than something like Uber would, given that AirBnB specifically is often used for cross-state travel? You're literally subletting your property for a weekend to someone in another state. I don't really know if that's an actual legal argument though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Developing my new Shrtwaistr app to disrupt the sclerotic red-tape laden textile manufacturing industry with e-innovation.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Deteriorata posted:

I don't think we want to call zoning regulations progressive, or even local. Many have a deeply racist history intertwined with federal mandates for redlining.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

I don't think we want to call zoning regulations progressive, or even local. Many have a deeply racist history intertwined with federal mandates for redlining.

Cities without zoning regulations tend to be regressive shitholes, so I disagree. That they can be abused does not make them bad in general.

Zoning is fundamentally about me giving up the right to process hog manure at my house in exchange for making sure you can't, either. It keeps residential, commercial, and industrial areas separate. Without zoning, poor people end up with a petroleum refinery next door and can't do anything about it.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Deteriorata posted:

Cities without zoning regulations tend to be regressive shitholes, so I disagree. That they can be abused does not make them bad in general.

Zoning is fundamentally about me giving up the right to process hog manure at my house in exchange for making sure you can't, either. It keeps residential, commercial, and industrial areas separate. Without zoning, poor people end up with a petroleum refinery next door and can't do anything about it.
I don't think we disagree here. Those are all reasonable things.

Requirements that houses be detached with giant lawns and ample parking and never affordable are the sorts of things that got put into place because of redlining, and they largely remain.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SCORUS Thread: continued local issues

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Main Paineframe posted:

"Loopholes" is a bit of a strong word - it's more that they're just breaking laws and use their massive amounts of money to dodge and delay consequences as long as possible.

How presidential of them.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Which is more regressive: not having zoning, or banning apartment buildings from an entire neighborhood?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
On the one hand uber sucks, on the other cab companies had forever to get their loving heads out of their asses and join the 21st century. I mean you can say that their only value came from dodging regulation but that's nonsense, cab companies loving sucked to a remarkable degree.

ShadowHawk posted:

I don't think we disagree here. Those are all reasonable things.

Requirements that houses be detached with giant lawns and ample parking and never affordable are the sorts of things that got put into place because of redlining, and they largely remain.

The biggest impetus is that homeowners have strong financial intensives to keep values high, most everything else flows from that in some way. It's much harder to want cheap housing if it means you lose tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

Both can only exist by exploiting systems in the most regressive ways possible. But congrats on your entry to the Republican party, I guess?

You want to use the power of the government, to forbid ordinary people backed by the force of law, from offering a room or a ride for money. This isn't a political issue, and saying that supporting uber and/or airbnb is somehow republican or conservative is.... well, its loving weird.

It also sucked for weavers when automation took their jobs and made clothing less expensive. The luddites were wrong then, and you are wrong now. Uber works because taxis relied on a monopoly that did not offer the price or service people demand. If taxis cant adapt and they go out of business from competition, then so be it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rigel posted:

You want to use the power of the government, to forbid ordinary people backed by the force of law, from offering a room or a ride for money.
There are existing regulations for poo poo like this to prevent just the kind of abuses that these dumb apps purposefully turn a blind eye to.

No one's going to come after you for giving your buddy a ride to the airport for :10bux:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rigel posted:

You want to use the power of the government, to forbid ordinary people backed by the force of law, from offering a room or a ride for money. This isn't a political issue, and saying that supporting uber and/or airbnb is somehow republican or conservative is.... well, its loving weird.

It also sucked for weavers when automation took their jobs and made clothing less expensive. The luddites were wrong then, and you are wrong now. Uber works because taxis relied on a monopoly that did not offer the price or service people demand. If taxis cant adapt and they go out of business from competition, then so be it.

Uber didn't invent jitney cabs, nor did Airbnb invent illegal hotels. Simply ignoring local laws and regulations while throwing huge piles of money at the consequences isn't what I'd call "innovation". These rules and regulations exist for a reason, and more often than not it's a pretty drat good reason. I'm not sure how "deliberately breaking the law is the greatest corporate invention since automatic weaving machines" belongs in a thread about courts and law, anyway.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Uber isn’t “ride-sharing” but rather a jitney cab company that exploits its workers to extremes and pays a far sub minimum wage. There is nothing novel about what they do except it was the first big one with an app.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

These rules and regulations exist for a reason, and more often than not it's a pretty drat good reason.
To draw this thread back on topic, there's an interesting case of the "Scarborough 11" who are a plural marriage family; the city tried to remove them from their group home under the zoning rules requiring no more than 2 unrelated adults to live together.

Such zoning rules are usually made to suppress college students or the poor from living in a neighborhood (as it effectively bans roommates), however the family challenged such zoning rules under a constitutional theory.

It looks like it resolved with the city backing down rather than fighting it out in federal court, so it seems this theory may have some potential: http://www.courant.com/community/hartford/hc-hartford-scarborough11-withdrawal-1028-20161027-story.html

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

Uber isn’t “ride-sharing” but rather a jitney cab company that exploits its workers to extremes and pays a far sub minimum wage. There is nothing novel about what they do except it was the first big one with an app.

Uber wouldn't be nearly as popular around here if Philadelphia cabbies weren't assholes and didn't try to refuse to a) take people some places or; b) take credit cards. It's less common now that Uber is around as an alternative, but you'll still far-to-frequently run into one who won't start driving unless you say you're going to pay cash. Uber drivers are also great if you want to go from center city out to the suburbs, since they can also pick up rides outside city limits. I tip the poo poo out of them for that, though, just for the convenience of not having to wait for the next regional rail (or deal with drunken jerkwads on regional rail on game nights or, well, every other night).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’m not saying that cabs are perfect by any means. There are massive problems in the transportation industry.

Uber’s flexibility is it’s hallmark, and i can get why you appreciate the wide variety of availability and service.

The problem with Uber is they are massively exploiting labor to provide that service in wanton violation of federal, state, and local laws. Those drivers, once expenses and all are sorted out are making a sub minimum wage in most cases.

If uber actually paid it’s employees, properly background checked drivers, and didn’t do everything in it’s power to fight any regulation that rightfully applies, i could support them. As they are now, they exploit the people left behind in this country to benefit the wealthy. The entire gig economy is a symptom of the 1% leaving the rest of us to scramble for their scraps.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Y'all want the infamous tech nightmare thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3763277

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I thought that was the self-driving cars thread.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

exploded mummy posted:

On a long enough time frame, all threads in D&D are self driving car threads.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

It's the thread to quarantine all the arguments about disruptive Silicon Valley tech companies. Uber, AirBnB and Theranos being monstrous, unethical and contrary to public and social policy is pretty much the only thing the thread agrees on.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 6, 2018

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Uber wouldn't be nearly as popular around here if Philadelphia cabbies weren't assholes and didn't try to refuse to a) take people some places or; b) take credit cards. It's less common now that Uber is around as an alternative, but you'll still far-to-frequently run into one who won't start driving unless you say you're going to pay cash.

This is illegal in most jurisdictions I've ever heard of, and mentioning the local taxi regulator is often enough for them to discover that oops, it turns out their card reader actually does work after all!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

This is illegal in most jurisdictions I've ever heard of, and mentioning the local taxi regulator is often enough for them to discover that oops, it turns out their card reader actually does work after all!

And in fact better-regulated localities have requirements for posting highly-visible notifications to passengers about their right to things like that.

Cabbies are always just a blind eye away from being scam artists.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Do you not just say 'I have no cash, sucks for you eh?' Then you just leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

It's the thread to quarantine all the arguments about disruptive Silicon Valley tech companies. Uber, AirBnB and Theranos being monstrous, unethical and contrary to public and social policy is pretty much the only thing the thread agrees on.

ah, i see someone has Owl of cream cheese on ignore