Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Minimal sax is good but once someone starts blaring a Clarence Clemons solo I'm out. There's just something about it that makes people want to go hog wild. As soon as I hear a sax I'm thinking there's a high probability this song just went in the shitter.

I guess didgeridoo is up there too for me but has claimed way fewer victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

8/9 string guitar.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
6 string guitar

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Snowy posted:

We've been having a friendly debate at work about which instrument is most likely to ruin a song by its presence. So far the leading contender is saxophone. The only guy who passionately argues otherwise has a son who started sax lessons last year. I say it's not too late to steer the kid away, I mean he can't go much worse besides getting into some hardcore harmonica soloing.

Is there any instrument that has ruined more songs on average than the sax?

Ukulele

Dirt
May 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/kennyg/status/802577740180418569

Sax is cool sometimes

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I love my JEM, but this is just too much. The new JEM 77 Woody :barf:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
The ratio of good to bad saxophone is like 1:10000000000 though. It is by far the most annoying popular instrument.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaoLU6zKaws

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Fats Domino has tons of sax and I won't hear anything bad about him.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfRxeD34unQ

That's some sax.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Lost boys saxophone guy
https://youtu.be/LpuwcINDHnQ

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
sax makes me think of Snatcher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O7VTw1E3b4

which also features awesome 80s synth

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tim Cappello's shtick is always appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSNg_cV2m0

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Daric posted:

I have no idea where to ask this but I played saxophone all through middle school and now, 15 years later, I'd like to pick it back up. I know nothing about the industry though and don't know where to start looking for a tenor sax to learn on.
What kind of budget do you have? If you need to keep it under a grand your best bet is probably to find a Chinese-made tenor from a reputable seller in the US (or wherever you are). There are plenty of good Chinese-made saxes out there now, but quality control from the factory is spotty, and they usually ship more or less unplayable due to setup issues. But there are plenty of shops that import them in bulk, ship the duds back to the factory, take care of the setup, and then sell them with the shop's name on the bell.

Step up from that is something like a used Yamaha. Stable, reliable, can get it worked on anywhere, but not necessarily the most exciting thing out there. if you're buying new and have the money, the best-made saxes today are coming out of Yanagisawa. Easy to blow, flawless mechanicals, good ergos (assuming you like the Mark VI-style table and that kind of poo poo, which virtually everybody does), and just all-around great saxes. Pricey, though.

You can always check out the various places to find used instruments until you find that perfect tenor for you personally, but that's mostly based on luck and happenstance and you won't necessarily even know what you're looking for until you find it.

And then you start loving around trying different mouthpieces....

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Is there anything Yamaha can't do?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

...and the pitch! posted:

Is there anything Yamaha can't do?
They started out in the music business. That's why their logo is three tuning forks.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

For horns watch the shopgoodwill auctions. I nabbed a sweet old conn trumpet for a friend off there for pretty cheap.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

oh my god

just how dead inside do you have to be to shoo that man away

oh right rentacops lol

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

For horns watch the shopgoodwill auctions. I nabbed a sweet old conn trumpet for a friend off there for pretty cheap.
Yeah, but with poo poo like that it's a huge crapshoot if you can't see it for yourself before buying. Just getting new pads/basic overhaul of a tenor is going to run you another couple hundred bucks. If you've got to repair keywork or do other mechanical work in order to get it in playable condition---a hosed-up neck, neck socket, and/or octave key are a pretty standard surprise for a used mystery sax---then that can rapidly turn a bargain sax into a money sink.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SubG posted:

They started out in the music business. That's why their logo is three tuning forks.

Just because a company started out in the music business doesn't mean they continue to care to make good things.

Yamaha is a weird beast.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shugojin posted:

Just because a company started out in the music business doesn't mean they continue to care to make good things.

Yamaha is a weird beast.

Yamaha has made some truly weird products over the years. I don't think they've made very many that were just outright crap.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Shugojin posted:

Yamaha is a weird beast.
Yeah, but it turns out that they're weird because they also make other poo poo. They've always been primarily an instrument company (like even today if you look at their financials today 65% of it is the instrument business, 25% is audio equipment, and around 10% everything else), and for most of their existence they've been the world's largest instrument company.

I don't know what their reputation was back in the Nineteenth Century or whatever, but for decades and decades they've been pretty much the king of pawn shop instruments because they make the default student instrument (or one of the two or three standard choices) for so many different instrument types. Not really known for high-end poo poo, though. Like yeah there are diehard Yamaha guys that will swear by their particular instrument (in saxes this is particularly true with the older purple logo instruments, which have the kind of cachet that say '80s MIJ Squiers have). But mostly it's amazing cheap instruments, really solid and reliable step-up instruments, and then well-for-that-money-you-could-get-a-[whatever]-instead high end instruments.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Their drums/drum hardware line is pretty solid - ballhead adjuster snare stand, mmmmmmm yeahhhhh. Recording Customs are a joy to behold if you can afford them, and true to the name they seem to shine in a nice studio space with just enough dampening. Very "natural" sounding drums that reflect the player's intention.

I wish I had Recording Customs :negative:

On that note, can I post Stupid Drums poo poo?

That's a Staccato Drums kit - fibreglass shells with flared open resonant "horns" instead of a traditional resonant head. They're loving LOUD - i mean, really, room-rattlingly loud - if you like that sort of thing, and not poo poo at all, really. Very '70s, arguably extremely tacky and kind of stupid, but not poo poo.

But this one is somehow attached to a motorbike?

With rototoms?

:psyduck:

Here's a more, umm, traditional Staccato setup with ALL THE TOMS IN THE WORLD.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 28, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I think I already posted :yarg::drum::gary: in response to Staccato drums before, but it still applies.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Octobans, technically, rototoms are basically just the heads mounted on a metal frame, these have tube shells.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

Octobans, technically, rototoms are basically just the heads mounted on a metal frame, these have tube shells.

Oh right. I forgot what those were actually called.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
As a guitar player I love massive drum kits because they're so gaudy and stupid but now that I've been writing my own drum parts using drum machines I can laugh at them from a practicability standpoint because most people use about 7 drums tops.

For example, here's the full setup that I found stock and keep cluttered like this for having options in case I feel like getting spicy with crashes. I have some goofy poo poo running behind the scenes with stuff blended together like four different snares mixed together and each tom is actually two toms but you get the idea.

And here's realistically what a normal person uses 99.9% of the time for songs:

And a real, actual drummer would likely cut out the right crash (the one over the toms) because that's one less stand to worry about and one less $200 cymbal to crack.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
They would also just get a double bass pedal instead of adding a second bass drum if they needed it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Gringostar posted:

They would also just get a double bass pedal instead of adding a second bass drum if they needed it.

A drummer I worked with lamented that on every double bass pedal he had tried, the second one feels wrong compared to the standard one.

I mean he chose the double pedal anyway because it was either have a slightly weird feeling pedal or have to gently caress with a second bass drum and all the boring work that entails

e: vvv Yes exactly that stuff.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 29, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gringostar posted:

:ssh: I cut out the second bass drum because I got tired of EQing and mixing a second one so instead I just mimic a left pedal with slightly weaker midi hits. So basically the software version of a double bass pedal vs two bass drums.

With some fancy packing, most people's drum kits can fit into a honda civic but throw another bass drum in there and you're looking at a van just for one dude, let alone having to worry about buying, tuning, and not losing yet another piece of equipment.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
When i was drumming i always wanted to try 2 bass drums rather than the pedal as trying to balance the tension of the 2 pedals was a pain in the arse. And it looks cool. Thankfully space, money and motivation prevented me from doing this.
I miss playing drums but as I'm a lefty the few gigs i did do years ago were a nightmare, only one bill did we share with another lefty drummer. Yet i play guitar normally. My co-ordination is the Stupid Music poo poo.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

NonzeroCircle posted:

When i was drumming i always wanted to try 2 bass drums rather than the pedal as trying to balance the tension of the 2 pedals was a pain in the arse. And it looks cool. Thankfully space, money and motivation prevented me from doing this.
I miss playing drums but as I'm a lefty the few gigs i did do years ago were a nightmare, only one bill did we share with another lefty drummer. Yet i play guitar normally. My co-ordination is the Stupid Music poo poo.

The only time I worked with a lefty drummer he could alternate between open handed and traditional, and it was a godsend for changeovers. He played lefty for preference but if we were pushed he would just suck it up and open hand for the show so we didn't have to tear everything down.

I've also worked with guys who do the two kick thing and it sucks and soundmen will hate you. Almost as much as they did when we used to rock up with two drummers. They really hate that.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I can fudge it right handed on the lovely electric kit at work for keeping time/doing breakbeat type stuff (though i do swap the pedals round) but punk or metal and anything requiring toms kinda goes out the window.

Having that sort of general knowledge of how to drum does help a lot with programming drums I've found- when my mate does demos he'll have two toms, a snare and a ride all playing at once throughout the track, drives me nuts

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

darkwasthenight posted:

I've also worked with guys who do the two kick thing and it sucks and soundmen will hate you. Almost as much as they did when we used to rock up with two drummers. They really hate that.

Most drummers I've put on shows with who play two kick drums have been using triggers anyway.

We put on punk/metal/hardcore shows where there's usually three to five bands on the bill and the bands can borrow our backline. Switching amp heads, cymbals, snare and kick pedals is usually the extent of how much changeover we accept, so if someone needs their drum setup with 20 toms and two kicks they have to bring their own and accept that their drums are used by all the bands.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

kjetting posted:

We put on punk/metal/hardcore shows where there's usually three to five bands on the bill and the bands can borrow our backline. Switching amp heads, cymbals, snare and kick pedals is usually the extent of how much changeover we accept, so if someone needs their drum setup with 20 toms and two kicks they have to bring their own and accept that their drums are used by all the bands.

that's a good policy

nothing's dumber in a small room than having like three different backlines lined up like a matryoshka doll and the opener has to basically stand in place

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

The Muppets On PCP posted:

that's a good policy

nothing's dumber in a small room than having like three different backlines lined up like a matryoshka doll and the opener has to basically stand in place

I was stage manager at a local festival once and one of the five bands on my stage that day was a popular soft, melancholy pop act here in Norway. In their tech rider they had these demands:
- all instruments on the stage floor, set up in a tight circle facing the front man
- preferably close to the edge of the stage
- nothing on moveable platforms, or even platforms at all
- no instruments or mics could be moved or touched by human hands between sound check and gig time
- Their 32 channels on the mixer should NOT be used by any other acts

LUCKILY it was a big stage and ditto mixer. So we managed to set them up a little left of stage center and make a plot where we wheeled all the other just as big artists in and around their drums, amps, hammond, leslie, persian rug and table lamps. If we had had two bands with the same demands it would have been a logistical nightmare.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I am digging the Ronnietar

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Agile continues to be drunk

That fuckin multiscale Kahler is throwing the rest of it even more drunk lookin

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So would that be more or less horrible than a 12 string to keep in tune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Kilometers Davis posted:

So would that be more or less horrible than a 12 string to keep in tune.

As long as two lowest strings are in tune, it won't matter.

• Locked thread