Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Google argued that it was too financially burdensome and logistically challenging to compile and hand over salary records that the government has requested, sparking a strong rebuke from the US Department of Labor (DoL), which has accused the Silicon Valley firm of underpaying women.

Google officials testified in federal court on Friday that it would have to spend up to 500 hours of work and $100,000 to comply with investigators’ ongoing demands for wage data that the DoL believes will help explain why the technology corporation appears to be systematically discriminating against women.

Noting Google’s nearly $28bn annual income as one of the most profitable companies in the US, DoL attorney Ian Eliasoph scoffed at the company’s defense, saying, “Google would be able to absorb the cost as easy as a dry kitchen sponge could absorb a single drop of water.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well obviously it's not about the cost, but the workload. 500 hours of work? they could make like half a dozen new versions of android in that time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

well obviously it's not about the cost, but the workload. 500 hours of work? they could make like half a dozen new versions of android in that time

that's at least 2 new chat/video messaging platforms

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

select * from employees;

pay me 100k google

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh please if they just had all of the employees' personal data and wage information and payment schedule and benefits in a computer somewhere, they obviously would have been able to make it available.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
it's all been input into tensor flow and to find out what they are they have to deep dream them out of there and filter out all the dog-caterpillars

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

AWS should advertise it would be cheaper to calculate the data in their :yayclod:

It's just like a big anti-advert for Google: not even Google can push Oracle data easily to services and simplify basic processing needs.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
they could just do it with a couple lines of code but that wouldnt be very googley. first they need to write a new markdown parser for the messaging app they'll create to discuss the status of the latest "employee records" sprint and no ones even created the wiki for that yet

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Goog had 57k employees 2015 according to Wikipedia, so that's less than 1 minute per person. Not that expensive imho

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zokie posted:

Goog had 57k employees 2015 according to Wikipedia, so that's less than 1 minute per person. Not that expensive imho

if this is still about the initial data the DoL requested the DoL only wanted the data for the mountain view HQ.

but the DoL isn't being unreasonable and is giving google another option if it is too hard: pay back all federal government contract money, pay the penalties stipulated for breaking he contracts, and be permanently banned from bidding on such contracts in the future.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
right, google's whole focus is to collect and organize all the information in the world, a noble goal. their second focus is to turn that information into money and power, nothing wrong with that

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

When all the megacorps militarize you just know google will have the meanest robots. People will hope for enslavement under amazon or facebook or whoever instead, their robots will be less stabby

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

When all the megacorps militarize you just know google will have the meanest robots. People will hope for enslavement under amazon or facebook or whoever instead, their robots will be less stabby

google can't commit to projects like that though

Apple on the other hand...

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

the apple robots will require 5 separate dongles to be able to engage in any meaningful combat

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Wheany posted:

also you cant get one 6 months after release because google only manufactured a total of 20 pixels

sounds pretty low rez

Pryor on Fire posted:

amazon is already on this by using them to torture factory workers

hobbesmaster posted:

apple rover. complete freedom in complete imprisonment

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mishaq posted:

the apple robots will require 5 separate dongles to be able to engage in any meaningful combat

they'll laugh all the way to the bank

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

they'll laugh all the way to the bank

i loving hate smug robots and will do everything in my power to take one out with me

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

syscall girl posted:

i loving hate smug robots and will do everything in my power to take one out with me

4channers aren't worth it man

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hobbesmaster posted:

they'll just get tavis to steal the government's robots

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/leemkuilschu/status/875001455815659522

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

six figgie computer touchers relegated to a literal trailer park

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

maybe if they're lucky

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

maybe if they're lucky

this is the before picture for that refugee camp in deus ex human revolutions

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

can you think of a better way to get mountain view to let them build housing?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

They're pretty much following Korean Chaebol's now, corporate branded apartments to go along with the gwarosa/karoshi job.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

can you think of a better way to get mountain view to let them build housing?

it's mountain view, they'll just rezone the lot or something

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

MrMoo posted:

They're pretty much following Korean Chaebol's now, corporate branded apartments to go along with the gwarosa/karoshi job.

Where do I sign up to be a juicy girl

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Blue Train posted:

Where do I sign up to be a juicy girl

hangouts message me :wink:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
we've containerized our employees

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

The Management posted:

booo!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

The Management posted:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm an engineer modular housing is good because

Oh wait gently caress it's terrible I need to find a new job what the gently caress is wrong with me

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

why doesn't google string dedicated fiber between all its major offices around the us exclusively for use in a bunch of telepresence conference rooms and "pods" designed for 1:1 employee meetings and have an entire team dedicated to developing and maintaining it

seems cheaper than trying to house every six figgie fucktard in mountain view, california

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mishaq posted:

why doesn't google string dedicated fiber between all its major offices around the us exclusively for use in a bunch of telepresence conference rooms and "pods" designed for 1:1 employee meetings and have an entire team dedicated to developing and maintaining it

seems cheaper than trying to house every six figgie fucktard in mountain view, california

you have to be in the bay area to be disruptive. it's the ~culture of innovation~ that you just can't get anywhere else.

-- literally a thing i read in an article by some idiot VC

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mishaq posted:

a significant chunk of google's employees never work or have routine meetings at the bay area campuses

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if they could all physically fit in the Google plea they probably would do it though

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mishaq posted:

do you love being in meetings or something

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the container houses look cool but where is the liquor store. the cheap chinese food place. the nearest INTIMATE THEATRE? probably pretty far. Sounds bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
imagine living a life without live theatre, wow. a hollow life indeed. sad

• Locked thread