Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

divabot posted:

the adtech industry is close to this. generated pages, clicked on by clickbots.

The first randomly generated page that really jarred me was one of those pages that are created dynamically to catch search engine queries. I was looking for a story by artist Tim Kreider about a time he'd gotten stabbed, and I figured "Tim Kreider stabbed" would be a pretty specific search term, but the "Are You Feeling Lucky?" result was a page filled with banners on the theme "WOULD YOU LIKE TIM KREIDER STABBED? WE HAVE BEST TIM KREIDER STABBED!" etc which was disconcerting, but funny enough that I sent him a screenshot. It didn't bother him because he was used to getting human-generated death threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

I would think it would devolve into static pretty quickly

You come back after only one week to find that every single comment is just the word "cuck" repeated 300 times

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

darthbob88 posted:

Current threat: "I'm sorry sir, but The Algorithm says you fit its profile for a high risk debtor, so we will not be lending to you. Also, your neighborhood looks like A Bad Neighborhood according to The Algorithm so we will not be funding your neighborhood school. No, none of these things have anything to do with your skin color, it's just The Algorithm."
Don't forget "I'm sorry, sir, but the sentencing was based on The Algorithm which found that you are more likely to re-offend. No, this has nothing to do with your skin color."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Syd Midnight posted:

The first randomly generated page that really jarred me was one of those pages that are created dynamically to catch search engine queries. I was looking for a story by artist Tim Kreider about a time he'd gotten stabbed, and I figured "Tim Kreider stabbed" would be a pretty specific search term, but the "Are You Feeling Lucky?" result was a page filled with banners on the theme "WOULD YOU LIKE TIM KREIDER STABBED? WE HAVE BEST TIM KREIDER STABBED!" etc which was disconcerting, but funny enough that I sent him a screenshot. It didn't bother him because he was used to getting human-generated death threats.

Huh so you're the 0.001% of people who used feeling lucky, I was wondering

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

Don't forget "I'm sorry, sir, but the sentencing was based on The Algorithm which found that you are more likely to re-offend. No, this has nothing to do with your skin color."

It's like that Atwater quote except updated for the 21st century

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

I am not overly fond of Sandifer, but I will say that whenever he does something right he really knocks it out of the park. This is spot-on.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I've been reading Discipline and Punish, and what do you know, these order-obsessed dorks actually have some historical precedent! Namely, 19th Century prison reformer and extremely normal person Léon Faucher:

Not an evil AI or an anime villain posted:

Go into a cotton-mill; listen to the conversations of the workers and the whistling of the machines. Is there any contrast in the world more afflicting than the regulatory and predictability of these mechanical movements, compared with the disorder of ideas and morals, produced by the contact of so many men, women, and children?

Not Eripsa or a Silicon Valley prison-disruptor posted:

Work is the Providence of the modern peoples; it replaces morality, fills the gap left by beliefs and is regarded as the pinnacle of all good. Work must be the religion of the prisons. For machine-society, purely mechanical means of reform are required.

It took me a little bit to realize that his writing style and general tone remind me of the things from They're Made Out of Meat.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Goon Danton posted:

It took me a little bit to realize that his writing style and general tone remind me of the things from They're Made Out of Meat.

Thank you for giving me another excuse to watch this. :3:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

pookel posted:

There's a 99% chance that Yud, being Nazi-adjacent, wouldn't see a problem with racism-bots

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

There's a 99% chance that Yud, being Nazi-adjacent, wouldn't see a problem with racism-bots

Come on now. "Nazi-adjacent" is a stretch.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Silver2195 posted:

Not really

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The most subtlety I've ever seen Big Yud show is the one sequence where he insinuates as hard as possible that race realism is true and you'd have to be a dumb reLIEgionist SJW to think otherwise as he can without actually saying it

EDIT: found it http://lesswrong.com/lw/kk/why_are_individual_iq_differences_ok/

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, he was raised Orthodox, while others from his cult may have gone there he seems to have at least stayed away from that.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
In further stream-crossing, let's not forget that Vitalik Buterin, founder of second most popular cryptocurrency Ethereum, is a huge LessWronger, and posted this today:

https://twitter.com/VitalikButerin/status/930289679294873600

That was just after he'd tweeted this, which he deleted when it didn't go down very well:

https://twitter.com/ButtCoin/status/930297347506130945

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I wonder what it's like having to wipe your social media comments as often as you have to wipe your rear end (and for the same reason)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Syd Midnight posted:

I wonder what it's like having to wipe your social media comments as often as you have to wipe your rear end (and for the same reason)
They may wipe their tweets more often, if they're alpha enough.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Syd Midnight posted:

I think it’s like being 23 years old and in the spotlight, probably.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I think it’s like being 23 years old and in the spotlight, probably.

Also he's a bad person, that doesn't help.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

ate all the Oreos posted:

but if you read the tweet in context, then

welp never mind

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

divabot posted:

but if you read the tweet in context, then

welp never mind

It’s even worse than it seemed!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ate all the Oreos posted:

He’s nice and also patient in person, at least.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Subjunctive posted:

He’s nice and also patient in person, at least.

He is absolutely as good as a smart kid who read way too much LessWrong at a formative age gets

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

hybrid people made from an elixir of hormones and thigh fat

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Trans women on Twitter have been laughing about this all day.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I mean I'm not trans but this basically describes me.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
This year's lament about the failure of the LessWrong Rationality subculture to achieve anything. Includes bonus "I'm totally not an SJW, but" when talking about the subculture's amazing ability to repel hyumon feeemales.

Bonus beats: that time when literally advocating the 14 Words by name would get you 40+ upvotes on /r/slatestarcodex

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

"...that anyone who actually took the Sequences literally was either too autistic or naive to realise that they weren’t in on the joke."

My favorite part of any Rationalist writing is the brief moment of lucidity before the writer disappears back up Yud's rear end in a top hat.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Puppy Time posted:

I mean I'm not trans but this basically describes me.
:same:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

No, it's accurate. Specifically, he is adjacent in the sense of living next to the Nazis in a house with a shared wall, and getting increasingly annoyed by the constant goose stepping and rallies all hours of the day. However he refuses to bring it up at the neighborhood association meeting because he's still feuding with them over the time they denied his petition to remodel the facade.

Later in the episode he has a dinner party where he gets increasingly incensed at his guests as they grow uncomfortable with the overheard snatches of a plan for a new beer hall putsch next door. "Why don't they understand this isn't worth concerning themselves with?" He thinks to himself. "If it was really that bad I'd obviously swallow my pride and make common cause with people I resent. Since I haven't, it clearly isn't as bad as all that."

Eventually he loses his temper with a distraught dinner guest, and in a fit of rage acidentally uses a racial slur he's heard constantly from next door. We never hear what it is because the dialogue is cut off by a smash cut to the credits as the Curb Your Enthusiam theme plays.

By my reckoning we're about 3/4ths of the way through that episode.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

divabot posted:

Bonus beats: that time when literally advocating the 14 Words by name would get you 40+ upvotes on /r/slatestarcodex

Apart from namedropping the 14 words,

some loving nazi posted:

the proper response, to me, was to stop litigating facts and respond in kind, rallying my own tribe by saying "yes, white privilege exists; it's fantastic, and we'd like more of it, thanks."

Ah yes hm a cogent argument, very well written, I am feeling so rational right now.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Some choice responses to that

Dolts posted:

That was a terribly cogent argument, but I'm afraid the arguments themselves are drowned out by the scarcely heard mocking laughter of thirsting gods. Moloch smiles, and the future becomes a little more grimdark.

Holy gently caress. I like you. I think an even simpler way of presenting it is that it's harder to get people to remember to do whatever a civic duty is than it is to keep an entire race from dying. If your civic duty is "stay white" you don't hardly have to spend as much effort on it.

This is an excellent comment.

u/anechoicmedia can write

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Haha here's his twitter

https://twitter.com/AnechoicMedia14

hallo Richard Spencer

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Some choice responses to that

Wow, doing your civic duty is so easy when you just have to Stay White and not vote, please continue to do that all of you

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Haha here's his twitter

hallo Richard Spencer

That's this guy - Vitalik Buterin? I read back but I'm sleepy and not sure if I got it. :shobon:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

WrenP-Complete posted:

That's this guy - Vitalik Buterin? I read back but I'm sleepy and not sure if I got it. :shobon:

Nah the guy who got 40+ upvotes on /r/slatestarcodex for repeating neonazi talking points

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Nah the guy who got 40+ upvotes on /r/slatestarcodex for repeating neonazi talking points

Thanks for clarification.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Haha here's his twitter

hallo Richard Spencer

nazi dude posted:

The most hilarious aspect of our diverse world is how millennia old foundational knowledge of society-building just evaporates outside of the white world.

"don't poo poo where you eat or live"

"bury the dead away from you"

"avoid the sick"

Hm yes the thousands of years of knowledge us enlightened whites have had of hygiene and germ theory.

Like seriously some of the greatest advancements in medicine have just been figuring out how to keep patients from getting their goop on carers and other patients, and you don't have to look back that far to see them. How does someone even break their brain hard enough to think this

Gitro has a new favorite as of 11:48 on Nov 18, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
FYI, I read ‘The Basilisk Murders’, that novel about the Dark Enlightenment/LessWrong groupies, and I wouldn’t recommend it. Author doesn’t deliver on the premise due to a basic lack of talent for/practice in writing, plotting, and characterisation. I’d actually say that Yudkowsky can construct a more consistently engaging sentence in Methods of Rationality, as smug and amateur as that shitpile is.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gitro posted:

Hm yes the thousands of years of knowledge us enlightened whites have had of hygiene and germ theory.

Like seriously some of the greatest advancements in medicine have just been figuring out how to keep patients from getting their goop on carers and other patients, and you don't have to look back that far to see them. How does someone even break their brain hard enough to think this

Holy poo poo I forgot all about pox parties existing, that brought back some weird memories. I never went to one or anything but I knew about them as a kid and knew people who did.

It's super weird to think that chickenpox has a vaccine now and the number of cases per year has dropped a whole order of magnitude, and I'm probably in the last generation of kids for which chickenpox was just a thing that happens to pretty much everyone eventually growing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The best article you will read on Jordan Peterson.

quote:

As a child, I was always a bit uncomfortable when my parents’ friends asked me to call them “Auntie.” I was pretty sure there was no peer-reviewed literature supporting this familial relationship, but it never occurred to me to attempt to politicize, let alone monetize, my unease. I certainly never accused “Auntie June” of trying to undermine Western civilization in the service of a post-modern neo-Marxist agenda every time she brought over a casserole. I wouldn’t have gotten any pudding.

“Postmodern neo-Marxism” is Peterson’s nemesis, and the best way to explain what postmodern neo-Marxism is, is to explain what it is not—that is, it is entirely distinct from the concept of “cultural Marxism.”

“Cultural Marxism” is a conspiracy theory holding that an international cabal of Marxist academics, realizing that traditional Marxism is unlikely to triumph any time soon, is out to destroy Western civilization by undermining its cultural values. “Postmodern neo-Marxism,” on the other hand, is a conspiracy theory holding that an international cabal of Marxist academics, realizing that traditional Marxism is unlikely to triumph any time soon, is out to destroy Western civilization by undermining its cultural values with “cultural” taken out of the name so it doesn’t sound quite so similar to the literal Nazi conspiracy theory of “cultural Bolshevism.”

To be clear, Jordan Peterson is not a neo-Nazi, but there’s a reason he’s as popular as he is on the alt-right. You’ll never hear him use the phrase “We must secure a future for our white children”; what you will hear him say is that, while there does appear to be a causal relationship between empowering women and economic growth, we have to consider whether this is good for society, “‘’cause the birth rate is plummeting.” He doesn’t call for a “white ethnostate,” but he does retweet Daily Caller articles with opening lines like: “Yet again an American city is being torn apart by black rioters.” He has dedicated two-and-a-half-hour-long YouTube videos to “identity politics and the Marxist lie of white privilege.”

quote:

But woe betide those fields that have abandoned serious inquiry and empirical evidence and have become cult-like: Guru Jordan will vanquish you—just as soon as he’s done prepping his course, Psychology 434: Maps of Meaning.

In this rigorously academic course, students learn how “every experience that you have had contains information. If you have fully processed the information in that experience, (1) its recollection will no longer produce negative emotion and (2) you have learned everything you need to know from it.”

I’m hard-pressed to find a course on Chaucer that comes this close to promising to clear my thetans.

What Peterson's offering there, btw, is literally how Dianetics, i.e. Scientology, is claimed to work. I wonder if Peterson realises this.