Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

beer pal posted:

big part of it really is that i got a new computer and i can play a bunch of games that i couldnt previously so its a bit overwhelming

when my brother and i set up library sharing i had a real deer in the headlights moment, option paralysis is real. someone should make a game that uses your steam library as fodder and in order to proceed through the metagame you have to complete games in the library tagged as must plays or whatever. make branching paths so you have some degree of freedom or something.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

beer pal posted:

the problem with games imo is that theyre all too long

Absolutely. It's the thing that keeps me from playing Dark Souls 3 even though I know I'll enjoy it. It's such a commitment.

It's also why I barely touch Ubisoft games anymore. I know I'll want to go loot every chest and climb every tower and by the end I'll just be sick of playing.

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Heather Papps posted:

when my brother and i set up library sharing i had a real deer in the headlights moment, option paralysis is real. someone should make a game that uses your steam library as fodder and in order to proceed through the metagame you have to complete games in the library tagged as must plays or whatever. make branching paths so you have some degree of freedom or something.

I wish I could setup library sharing with the ps4 store. Lotta stuff there that wasted money on that I’m sure someone else could get some use out of.

When you say library share do you mean steam? How’s that work? My youngest brother uses steam still and I think that’d be cool for him if he could have access to the even larger library of games there I’ve wasted money on.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Heather Papps

hello friend

mysterious frankie posted:

I wish I could setup library sharing with the ps4 store. Lotta stuff there that wasted money on that I’m sure someone else could get some use out of.

When you say library share do you mean steam? How’s that work? My youngest brother uses steam still and I think that’d be cool for him if he could have access to the even larger library of games there I’ve wasted money on.

so there is a thing you can do where if you log onto someones steam account on your pc, and they log onto yours from theirs, you can share libraries.

it's a pretty great system because it's really only people you know and trust in real life that you would do this with, as there are usually credit cards associated, so even tho, theoretically, you could like share with anyone worldwide are you going to be able to trust that they won't immediately change your password and sell items for tf2 keys or whatever.

Bobby Deluxe

Jolo posted:

It's also why I barely touch Ubisoft games anymore. I know I'll want to go loot every chest and climb every tower and by the end I'll just be sick of playing.
sweet jesus yes

i am currently playing the division 2 (review: massive flaws but if you liked the division 1 it'll scratch the itch until it doesnt) and before that i was playing spider man and before that assassins creed origins (i fuckin love egypt stuff). i played far cry 4 last year

they keep defending the amount of bullshit and busy work by saying you do not have to do it all, its optional, but in the division its not optional if you want all of the gun mods

modern gaming has killed my inner completionist. i might play something more storyliney next, like dad of boy

Jolo

Bobby Deluxe posted:

sweet jesus yes

i am currently playing the division 2 (review: massive flaws but if you liked the division 1 it'll scratch the itch until it doesnt) and before that i was playing spider man and before that assassins creed origins (i fuckin love egypt stuff). i played far cry 4 last year

they keep defending the amount of bullshit and busy work by saying you do not have to do it all, its optional, but in the division its not optional if you want all of the gun mods

modern gaming has killed my inner completionist. i might play something more storyliney next, like dad of boy

Spider-man was such a fun game but I threw in the towel after realizing just how many sectors there were each with 5 or 6 crimes to knock out in each one. I played that and Far Cry 4 last year and both games gave me that "ok, I should just stop" feeling.

edit: to be clear, I played all of Spider-man aside from the optional stuff and I highly recommend it. It's just packed with stuff to do if you wanna just do a hundred things.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

ToxicFrog

Heather Papps posted:

make a youtube video about this i had no idea.

the thing about these megamods is the average person checks in once in a while, is like "oh neat" and then waits for it to be at a playable stage. this, all that, is new info to me, because again, it's a huge rear end thing i figured wasn't done anyways.

Make a video about what? The morroblivion v65 installer I mentioned doesn't exist yet, that's my beef; all the parts needed to make it exist but no-one has done the legwork of compiling them into a single package (which I assume is more complicated than loading them all up in the mod manager and clicking "merge plugins" or someone would have done that already).

I might write some documentation about, like, what you need to install on top of v64 to have something that looks like what v65 will look like if it ever gets released

Heather Papps

hello friend

ToxicFrog posted:

Make a video about what? The morroblivion v65 installer I mentioned doesn't exist yet, that's my beef; all the parts needed to make it exist but no-one has done the legwork of compiling them into a single package (which I assume is more complicated than loading them all up in the mod manager and clicking "merge plugins" or someone would have done that already).

I might write some documentation about, like, what you need to install on top of v64 to have something that looks like what v65 will look like if it ever gets released

my bad i just chunked the quote incorrectly. i meant, mostly jokingly, that i wasn't aware the skyrim morrowind thing was mostly vapour. i assumed there were builds you could download and run around in, at least, and that a youtube video that showed side by sides of morroblivion and skywhatever and was like "one of these games you can play one you can't. help this team finish the playable one" would drive nerds to the project, to get it to 1.0 or stable or mostly done.

i perhaps wasn't super clear.

vanisher

Checking back in: okay high screen refresh rate Sekiro is a completely different and much better game

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i got Injustice 2 in the sale last week or so and it has quickly become my favorite non-GG fighter

im usually very ambivalent about dc comics stuff but the fighting is super fun and the story is surprisingly good and the multiverse challenges are sometimes fun

wearing a lampshade

New update for total Warhammer 2, been playing that too much now

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

albany academy posted:

New update for total Warhammer 2, been playing that too much now

Do you mean S&B or is there an even newer one?

ToxicFrog

Heather Papps posted:

my bad i just chunked the quote incorrectly. i meant, mostly jokingly, that i wasn't aware the skyrim morrowind thing was mostly vapour. i assumed there were builds you could download and run around in, at least, and that a youtube video that showed side by sides of morroblivion and skywhatever and was like "one of these games you can play one you can't. help this team finish the playable one" would drive nerds to the project, to get it to 1.0 or stable or mostly done.

Oh, yeah, back in 2014 they released a playable proof of concept, but then pulled it from download, and since then they've also switched it from being based on Skyrim to the "remaster", Skyrim HD, so it's anyone's guess how far away from actually being a playable game it is.

I think it's going to be incredibly rad when it's done, but they're basically trying to do something with the size and complexity of Morrowind -- which is not a small game, even if, like them, you omit the expansions -- but with Skyrim levels of detail and production value as an entirely volunteer project, and that doesn't happen fast.

wearing a lampshade

I Was The Fury posted:

Do you mean S&B or is there an even newer one?

Nah that's the one. I haven't played it in ages, getting back into it.

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

albany academy posted:

Nah that's the one. I haven't played it in ages, getting back into it.

Oh gotcha. I've barely started trying to play without using mods that make me hilariously overpowered. It makes me feel sad to be so awful at easy mode but one day I am confident that I will be able to play a couple of turns in normal difficulty

LethalGeek

The difference in stereo VS surround in Diablo is startling. The Switch version is so good.

Too bad Blizzard sucks royal rear end now

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

I'm catching up to Yakuza games as the remasters come out - Kiwami 2 is so good looking and it's just so satisfying to beat a group of dudes to a pulp with a motorcycle

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
the biggest problem w/ video games imho is that they always make more of them, so even if you tried to play all you'll never finish

this could be fixd by making the ultimate video game

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I'm still waiting for a good 3D dig dug myself

Scaly Haylie

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I'm still waiting for a good 3D dig dug myself

dig dug dag

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

French Accent posted:

i have finished halo reach with a friend tonight. my favorite part of this game was attempting to drag vehicles in parts of the level where you're not supposed to have a vehicle

this is the best part of any Halo game. i remember doing this in Combat Evolved and it especially great there since Warthogs were invincible and we could really try and jam them into every nook and cranny

Rockman Reserve

i think i give up on trying to like sunless sea :( it seems neat and chill but also like, kind of bad

every individual element in it is stuff that i like but it all comes together in a weird awkward package that i can't get into :(

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

food court bailiff posted:

i think i give up on trying to like sunless sea :( it seems neat and chill but also like, kind of bad

every individual element in it is stuff that i like but it all comes together in a weird awkward package that i can't get into :(

yeah i really dig the atmosphere and the world, and the writing is ok, but drat the gameplay is just not fun

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
this is probably controversial but thats also why i just stopped playing disco elysium like 2/3 of the way through. actually playing the game is a slog

Heather Papps

hello friend

Gone Fashing posted:

this is probably controversial but thats also why i just stopped playing disco elysium like 2/3 of the way through. actually playing the game is a slog

im digging it. my brother described it to me but i avoid games news generally, and i did not expect it to be an isometric point and click. for some reason i honestly thought it was an fps?

he mostly explained the psychology bit which i found really interesting. the writing is good enough i haven't noticed if i am having fun but i am enjoying it.

also started stardew valley finally. made me realize all i want is a botw but the game is just farming and foraging and hunting.

Pro Target

Still grindin' on Crimzon Clover Arcade Mode... this game is not easy

wearing a lampshade

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

I'm catching up to Yakuza games as the remasters come out - Kiwami 2 is so good looking and it's just so satisfying to beat a group of dudes to a pulp with a motorcycle

Need to finish 0 -_-

Mummy Napkin
I am also just starting Stardew. I tried a few times in the past but usually never make it past a few hours because dumb distracted brain. I got inside the community center and the mines and now this is podracing my dudes

SeaGoatSupreme
The old podracing game I could only find at Chuck e cheese took literally every token I had, every time. If there where a cheap way to get that control scheme in my house, I'd never stop playing.

ToxicFrog

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah, the gameplay involves a lot of tedious shuttling back and forth and grinding and that's ultimately what killed it for me

Also, if you play with permadeath enabled you're going to be seeing the same events and dialogue a lot every time you start out, but if you aren't you'll miss out on a bunch of stuff (both plot events and large mechanical bonuses) because some things only trigger once you bequeath various things to your successor(s), and asking the player "would you rather see the same content over and over again, or see lots of novel content but be badly underpowered for most of it?" is not good

I've occasionally considered looking for mods that address this but I also kinda don't want to fall down that rabbit hole and maybe I'd be happier just playing Fallen London?

Mr. Dick

by Cyrano4747

Pro Target posted:

Still grindin' on Crimzon Clover Arcade Mode... this game is not easy

Mr. Dick approves of this whole heartedly.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Jolo

I think I remember seeing some people say they preferred Sunless Skies to Sea.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

ToxicFrog

Jolo posted:

I think I remember seeing some people say they preferred Sunless Skies to Sea.

I haven't played or even really looked at Skies, because of my experience with Seas.

Possibly I should just back into FL, since that's most of the bits I like about sunless sea without the bits I don't

Rockman Reserve

wait lol the setting is from another game? that's most of what i liked about it

i should check out the iOS version

wearing a lampshade

Sunless games have a cool and fun setting + writing stuff, but yeah the gameplay is a tad tedious. I never really played Sea for more than a few hours total.

Bobby Deluxe

i was really looking forward to cultist simulator but honestly any writing they added to it is wasted because of the quicktime events that rely on you quickly collecting rewards and assigning them to other tasks before they burn out

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i got sunless skies and tried to start playing it but i just kind of sighed and closed it out because it was sunless sea, but with a flying train

Jolo

I played a bunch of Wolfenstein Youngblood over the weekend. It got pretty bad reviews when it came out to the point that I wasn't considering playing it at all, but I took a chance on a sale and it has been a lot of fun. It looks like they've patched some of the things that people didn't like about the game initially. The bosses have been tuned to be less bullet spongey and they've included checkpoints in the longer levels that weren't there before.

The good:
Shooting Gameplay - The guns feel powerful and blast the heck out of people. The moment to moment gameplay feels really good.
Weapon Upgrades - Every weapon has three brands of upgrade parts that you can use to modify it. Nadel parts increase accuracy and headshot damage and give zoomed scopes, Tempo weapons shoot faster and have larger magazines, Steir weapons shoot slower but hit harder. Some weapons have more interesting upgrades like making your grenade launcher leave behind a napalm trail or split off into smaller explosions. These upgrades are purchased with silver which is all over the game, missions give you some, there's silver on table, there's silver in crates, every 20 minutes you'll have a bunch of silver to spend on stuff so it never feels like you're locked in to a choice you didn't like.
Skill Upgrades - There's boring skill upgrades like "more armor" or "more health" but there are a lot of fun ones too. You can get one that let's you throw grenades so hard they hurt people on impact or one where you can carry the really huge weapons in your inventory and upgrade them.
Pep Upgrades - These let you break the game wide open if you want to. You can use these roughly every minute or so and can unlock peps that completely restore your armor, or one that quadruples your damage for 4 seconds. The armor upgrade is hugely useful.
Collectibles - Normally I roll my eyes when a game has a billion little things to pick up, but these are pretty good. You can collect lots of notes with funny stuff written on them like banter about a Gestapo Book Club with a suggestion for everyone to READ THE BOOK. There are also cassette tapes with faux 80's music by Nazi knockoff groups and VHS tapes of recognizable movie covers that are Nazi knockoffs.
Humor - This is gonna be subjective. Some people really don't like the twin protagonists. I like how completely goofy they are. They're in this scary situation but quipping back and forth like "You're a badass, Jess" "Thanks dude" It's silly and fits with the tone of the game.

The not so good:
Story - What's there is good, but there's not a lot of it. There's a bunch of cutscenes at the start to set things up, but then there's little in the way of story developments for the next 5-10 hours while you clean up the streets.
Open World - So it's not fully open world. There are four open street areas that each split off into several smaller areas that you can explore. The main problem is that these areas end up all looking kinda samey. If each area were a bit more distinct, I'd be much happier with the open world setup. I prefer the level based structure of the previous two games, but what's here is well designed for fun shootouts.
Grindy - The game has levels and the later missions really suggest that you level up to at least 20 before tackling them. The mission structure is repetitive. You'll end up running through the four street areas a bunch of times to complete sidequests and level up. I didn't have a big problem with this because I like the shooting gameplay and how fun the gun and player upgrades are, but it's there.

Overall I've had a great time with it. It's really dependent on how fun you find the shooting and exploration. Check out a video, if that looks fun to you then I recommend giving it a play. Oh somehow I neglected to mention that you get a laser gun that vaporizes people into a mist.

SeaGoatSupreme
I've been playing autochess on my phone before bed recently and it feels like people forgot how to play. The average player used to stomp my head in while tired, but now I've won three games in a row and bitches ain't poo poo

Come stomp people, the getting is good my friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I've been playing autochess on my phone before bed recently and it feels like people forgot how to play. The average player used to stomp my head in while tired, but now I've won three games in a row and bitches ain't poo poo

Come stomp people, the getting is good my friends

Which version? There's like 20 games called just "autochess" is it the one that's from the original makers of the DOTA mod? I played it right before they released the Epic Store version, which was their PC exclusive, I believe it didn't increase population and at that time a bunch of the high end players called it quits to go to the LoL and DOTA versions of Auto Chess which use the same base balance that was in the DOTA version before the devs decided to stop and make a mobile version but randomly start with just the units it launched with and do a slow roll out instead of releasing in parity.

The game's community was very doom and gloom several months ago with the other versions considered more up to date and the Drodo version being a cash grab. Things may have changed, it's a fun game but with 3 active games with the exact same units and balance existing I'm confused on which one to pick up when I want to play a round so I'm going to just wait for them to diverge more and try again in a year.

I Ideally want the Drodo one to be the one to succeed because it's the original devs, mostly because I'm not a huge fan of how League has handled toxic players and how much they have just fostered and let that image grow. And Valve only cares about money and will milk players for every penny.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 3, 2020

sig by owlhawk911