Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

chumbler posted:

I forget, does offensive guard trigger off of guard edge or other guard/parry wirebug skills?

Someone already answered, but to add, any active block should trigger it if timed appropriately. Guard Reload, Shield Bash and even Strongarm Stance can trigger it. I don’t thing HBG with shield can trigger it in any way though and Guard Slash won’t trigger it if the attack gets parried instead of blocked. Insta-block is described as a parry with the shield, but it counts as a block too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

My chill high-health setup lets me gently caress up constantly like an idiot even against endgame monsters and still be basically fine, would recommend

https://i.imgur.com/VPrrIcW.mp4

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Whatever they didn't feed to MR Bazel and Rakna-Kadaki, both monsters died like absolute chumps.

I think MR Rakna is hard.

Her fire breath seems way faster than every other similar attack from other monsters. I keep getting caught by it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Someone already answered, but to add, any active block should trigger it if timed appropriately. Guard Reload, Shield Bash and even Strongarm Stance can trigger it. I don’t thing HBG with shield can trigger it in any way though and Guard Slash won’t trigger it if the attack gets parried instead of blocked. Insta-block is described as a parry with the shield, but it counts as a block too.

Maybe I was just having a hard time telling when it was activating, then. Kinda wish there was Iceborne's mildly annoying message spam of it turning on and off. Maybe that is actually an option and I just need to check.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think MR Rakna is hard.

Her fire breath seems way faster than every other similar attack from other monsters. I keep getting caught by it.

MR Rakna's fire breath also does mondo amounts of guard damage.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Using the lance's shield charge/shield tackle to go head to head into a charging diabolos and KOing it is video game cocaine.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Agent355 posted:

Using the lance's shield charge/shield tackle to go head to head into a charging diabolos and KOing it is video game cocaine.

Any time a monster gets charge-happy it hits the good chemical buttons in my brain. I win charge-offs! I am the Diablos now.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Agent355 posted:

If capcom is going to give every fucker the rathian 3 charge special I’m going to do it too

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Electric Phantasm posted:

What the gently caress did they feed MR Zinorge for Sunbreak?

Remember, Zin was a postgame monster in Iceborne. If they are basing Rise Zin off of Iceborne Zin, it probably has a more aggressive moveset.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i'd like to thank malzeno for having a very telegraphed tail attack

https://i.imgur.com/9MLKPmd.mp4

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Are there any opinions on chain crit? Looks like it could be super useful for dual blades.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Karanas posted:

Are there any opinions on chain crit? Looks like it could be super useful for dual blades.

it looks to be a good skill, although one point is more efficient than three

BabyRyoga posted:

Remember, Zin was a postgame monster in Iceborne. If they are basing Rise Zin off of Iceborne Zin, it probably has a more aggressive moveset.

this is also the reason shagaru magala is a motherfucker

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

chumbler posted:

Maybe I was just having a hard time telling when it was activating, then. Kinda wish there was Iceborne's mildly annoying message spam of it turning on and off. Maybe that is actually an option and I just need to check.

You can tell really well in the training area when it’s a less hectic combat. It’s just a subtle red glow that any other attack buff has.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Newbie question, I just started Monster Hunter World, when do I get access to the training area? I have now done my first expedition which I think is like the 3rd main mission.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not gelling with the new kinsects. Or at least, I might need to watch a guide or something cause with how I play kinsect, I feel like I'm seeing barely any of the extract, and vortex feels too big brain when I wanna just kinda jump and spin.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ulio posted:

Newbie question, I just started Monster Hunter World, when do I get access to the training area? I have now done my first expedition which I think is like the 3rd main mission.

find your room and talk to the housekeeper cat in there

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

How good are lances at elements or statuses? I'm just kinda shotgunning the main quest without doing alot of the optional stuff to start with, so I don't have a huge amount of spare resources to just randomly make spears with. I'm MR4 so I have access to the t9 stuff and I'm looking through it but since I'm being picky and only going to make one lance I don't know if i should just stick to a pure raw lance or maybe do like, blast or something.

I'm not gonna take the time to make a full set of lightning attack or w/e while I'm just faffing about, but am I going to get much mileage out of the elements on a lance?

Alternatively do I make the Astalos lance because it's the most extra Gamer lance, sponsored by razor.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
One more question, how worth it is it to build Astalos' DBs versus Zinogre's? Zinogre has more base damage and element, but Astalos has 20% affinity. Is it enough to offset the lower damage?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

lets hang out posted:

find your room and talk to the housekeeper cat in there

Ya figures, I lost where my room was lol. Found it now.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of rooms, I like the ship room in Sunbreak, but the Iceborne house is still the best one. I want to live in the Seliana hub so I'm biased, though.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ulio posted:

Ya figures, I lost where my room was lol. Found it now.

You can use fast travel in town to pop around, it's much faster than walking. You can even teleport straight to the training room.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Got to shagaru and he impressed way more than gore did, probably the longest tensest fight I've had in rise, period

chumbler posted:

Speaking of rooms, I like the ship room in Sunbreak, but the Iceborne house is still the best one. I want to live in the Seliana hub so I'm biased, though.

I'm a fan of the second room in world; treehouse atmosphere, fishtank wall, and a waterfall out the front door

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Wellwinds posted:

I'm a fan of the second room in world; treehouse atmosphere, fishtank wall, and a waterfall out the front door

:same:

the final world house was way too much for me. seliana house is also a tad big but i dig the aesthetic. that second one was A+ perfect. love a cozy room

really enjoyed rise home too. not feeling the sunbreak one though. very cramped and don’t much care for ships.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there a good video that goes over the Lance chances for Sunbreak, and how to best use Lance now? I’ve loved Lance in previous games, but I’m trying to play with it now while utilizing all the guard moves, and it feels very awkward. I’m taking way more damage than before! And I know this can’t be right, so i gotta be doing something wrong here.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Was there a way to launch a ridden monster at a wall over and over and wirebug back onto it each time? I remember doing that last year but i cant remember how now in the dlc.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

You don't wirebug back onto it the same way you did in world, but you use a wirebug right after you hit the wall, before you fall off, and then your egain control and will start running away from the wall. Gives you a short time to aim toward a new wall and do it again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Agent355 posted:

You don't wirebug back onto it the same way you did in world, but you use a wirebug right after you hit the wall, before you fall off, and then your egain control and will start running away from the wall. Gives you a short time to aim toward a new wall and do it again.

With zL+zR?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Wellwinds posted:

Got to shagaru and he impressed way more than gore did, probably the longest tensest fight I've had in rise, period

Seconding. My final hunt time against him was 32 minutes, with two carts. I was so glad I actually managed to beat it, and with the Bow, no less. But I'm starting to think I don't want to use Bow anymore - my time against Bazelgeuse was not quite that long but still longer than I would have expected, and I think it's my lack of skill and dedication to making it competitive. I have fun with it at times, but it's mostly a struggle to use correctly, especially in Shagaru since he covers his face with his wings frequently enough that shooting it when he's in big rage mode is nigh impossible. Maybe other hunts will be better matchups but I think with fights getting this difficult and lengthy I need to go at it with my one true love, the Lance. At least I won't need to sit around and wait for openings that way.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
After the monster slams into a wall you can hit dodge to regain control at the cost of one wire bug. You can then follow it up with more wall slams, until you run out of bugs. After the mount is over the monster will be tied down with more threads the more times you wall-slammed it.

You can also dodge to cancel out of attacks, which is a good way to get more damage from a mount when you’re attacking another monster with it - you can normally squeeze in another 2-3 heavy attacks before the timer for the mounted finisher runs out if you cancel out of the recovery.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Throw them at the wall with Y, then Emergency Evade or w/e it's called with B right after they hit to keep control.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

In this case, Y is the left face button and B is the bottom face button - adjust appropriately for your controller of choice.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh ok its b.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

are people doing anything in particular to grind for MR? i'm just running random anomaly hunts at the moment, but not really sure if that's more or less MR than master rank

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kaubocks posted:

are people doing anything in particular to grind for MR? i'm just running random anomaly hunts at the moment, but not really sure if that's more or less MR than master rank

Apparently the fastest method is the four monster hunt in the Arena, but that's a huge clusterfuck.

Anomalies don't give a lot of rank points, which is dumb.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/s7uhUYf.mp4
shut up penis

https://i.imgur.com/NXCnIYC.mp4
carve up all them wings

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 8, 2022

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Anomalies don't give a lot of rank points, which is dumb.

:negative:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Farming the story boss isn't too bad for MR grinding, gives a fair amount of MR, easy to do and takes less than 10 minutes most of the time, and keeps you swimming in materials for melding

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So I did what I thought was the last follower quest (assuming now that the real last one is gated behind MR50) where you're with Galleus and Fugen against a shaggy and seregios, and between seregios' low health and shaggy's damage, I did enough in two shaggy mounts to get seregios into cap range. Basically had not even touched the poor guy past doing some damage for the initial mount.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Farming the story boss isn't too bad for MR grinding, gives a fair amount of MR, easy to do and takes less than 10 minutes most of the time, and keeps you swimming in materials for melding

I've been trying to farm the last boss for the rare material and it takes me around 20 minutes each time. :negative:

Seeing the discrepancy between my performance and the 2-3 minute speedruns makes me doubt my monster hunting qualifications. I'm past MR 70 now and everything still takes forever...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vanadium posted:

I've been trying to farm the last boss for the rare material and it takes me around 20 minutes each time. :negative:

Seeing the discrepancy between my performance and the 2-3 minute speedruns makes me doubt my monster hunting qualifications. I'm past MR 70 now and everything still takes forever...

My experience is once I’m in farming a monster mode multiplayer is wayyy faster

Also this game has too many quests. I wanna do all the follower quests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Holy cow Malzeno owns. What a great expansion this has been so far