Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

My current command has enough picture frames to last for approximately the next hundred years due to a mix-up between "individual units" and "boxes".

A buddy of mine has a good sea story about his LPO who made a typo on an order form and, instead of ordering several thousand rounds of 9mm ammo for the ship's pistol quals, ordered several thousand hand grenades. They pulled back in to the pier to find some MA's guarding a bunch of pallets and a supply officer with a lot of questions.

“Fishing.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Volmarias posted:

I'm not sure if you mean throwing the grenade, or throwing the entire crate, and honestly both sound pretty fun.

The grenade. One by one.

How else are you going to make sure to retain all safety pin rings and spoons? Make sure that when the grenades are all gone you have all the enlisted, even those who didn't throw any grenades, layout all the rings and spoons dress right dressed so that you can make sure you can account for them all.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Gorilla Radio posted:

The grenade. One by one.

How else are you going to make sure to retain all safety pin rings and spoons? Make sure that when the grenades are all gone you have all the enlisted, even those who didn't throw any grenades, layout all the rings and spoons dress right dressed so that you can make sure you can account for them all.

I'm pretty sure no ones boofing an M67. Youre not getting that out, there's no flared base.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Leviathan Song posted:

I know it's a fun story but it has at most vaguely true with embellished details.

the point of a good story is to be entertaining, not true. i don't really believe most of the poo poo my dad and my brother tell me, but it's fun to hear and occasionally retell

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gorilla Radio posted:

Whenever we had ammo or munitions-type stuff that we couldn't turn back in we'd do a spend-ex and burn it all. That's how we ended up setting a live-fire range on fire. And running for our lives as the forest shot live rounds that people had tossed into it back at us.

I'm imagining a bunch of junior enlisted sitting on the stern of a boat with crates of grenades, just pulling pins and throwing them into the water.

I think I saw an episode of Gilligan's Island that ended like that, but with Gilligan and a guy in an ape costume.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Why did the bike take off like a startled horse…?
The guy hamfisted the throttle which is what put him on his rear end in the first place. And thanks to the magic of ~physics~ a motorcycle (or bicycle) in motion will self-balance as long as it has sufficient momentum.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

The guy hamfisted the throttle which is what put him on his rear end in the first place. And thanks to the magic of ~physics~ a motorcycle (or bicycle) in motion will self-balance as long as it has sufficient momentum.

They only self-balance when they see that loving piece of poo poo MIKE off in the distance, and they’ll stay that way just long enough to charge him.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023
That reminds me, I ordered $2k of the wrong size of din rail terminal

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

ScreenDoorThrillr posted:

That reminds me, I ordered $2k of the wrong size of din rail terminal

I always assumed there were guardrails in place to prevent commands from ordering poo poo they obviously do not need--then I remembered that we had a baby boxkicker (back when they were still SKs) who was finally busted for ordering and selling a bunch of poo poo. (Interestingly, he was one of the squared-away command golden boys.)

We're talking a SHITLOAD of money worth of dive gear (far more than any submarine would ever need) etc etc. He apparently got away with it for a while--I'm not sure how long they were watching him--but when he tried to order and sell export/ITAR-controlled NVGs they nailed him and he just disappeared off the boat.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
The golden boy in our unit was hooking up with the supply chief of another battalion. He would sell all kinds of poo poo to people getting that lost stuff. Dude saved me some big trouble by getting me sapi plates. Guess I got lucky no one ever checks serial numbers at turn in.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

To check them they'd have to know there's a serial number, and so would the people who checked them out. Two points of exploitable failure.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
How did you lose your plates in the first place?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Did sapi plates circa gwot even have serial numbers?

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Saul Kain posted:

Did sapi plates circa gwot even have serial numbers?

Yes.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Did anyone account for them by serial numbers? CIF in 2011 cared not at all for the providence provenance of your IOTV plates.

EDIT: I can't spell gud.

Saul Kain fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 15, 2024

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
My memory is hazy, but early GWOT we got our plates via our unit, not CIF, so they were turned in to the unit who only kept track of sizes and damage. There were a few recalls over the years which is how I remember they had s/ns and lot numbers.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

We had a GWOT issue day where we all got stuff for deployment. All that stuff eventually got added to your individual hand receipt (poorly/incorrectly) and you turned it all in CIF when PCSing or ETSing. This was Germany, it was likely weird/wrong.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I don't remember CIF giving a poo poo except for the size.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Plates are a disposable/consumable aren't they? Seems unwise to cycle them through multiple users where you won't know its exact history.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
You'd get new plates right before you deployed.

e: and to tie this all back into the thread, the IOTV has that emergency pull cord that causes the armor to fall off, so of course people were loving around and pranking each other until they got threatened with article 15s.

Punished Ape fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 15, 2024

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Punished Ape posted:

You'd get new plates right before you deployed.

e: and to tie this all back into the thread, the IOTV has that emergency pull cord that causes the armor to fall off, so of course people were loving around and pranking each other until they got threatened with article 15s.

lol yeah, they explicitly told us that yanking the cord as a joke was an automatic article 15 when we got our IOTVs at RFI.

Fun fact: I remembered that it's called RFI was I was typing that sentence.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

McNally posted:

lol yeah, they explicitly told us that yanking the cord as a joke was an automatic article 15 when we got our IOTVs at RFI.

Fun fact: I remembered that it's called RFI was I was typing that sentence.

Fun fact, when I was driving down Tampa I used to pull the cord and wrap it around so no one could see it was pulled on the one fuckwit I hated most so it fell apart when he picked it up. He was allergic to hygiene.

Edit never got art 15'd. Did see a moron try to hold formation right after a mortar attack though.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Having a formation in-theater is a classic moron move. You’d hope that watching Ukraine HIMARS like 200 dudes at a time during a formation would put a stop to those.

You’d probably be wrong, but you’d still be hopeful for a bit.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Gorilla Radio posted:

I'm imagining a bunch of junior enlisted sitting on the stern of a boat with crates of grenades, just pulling pins and throwing them into the water.

Wouldn't it be better to throw the grenades in the water?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GotLag posted:

They're junior enlisted, you can't expect them to know everything.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Steezo posted:

Did see a moron try to hold formation right after a mortar attack though.

What? The attack is over. They were clearly out of mortars. It’s the perfect time to stand in a large, tight formation.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

GotLag posted:

At the end of WW II a poo poo ton of lend-lease stuff to the UK just got dumped in the ocean. As in entire flight worthy fighters. Over the side, splash! No worries!

The US didn't need them back, the Brits didn't want to pay for scrapping, so in they went.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
At Camp Mackall, North Carolina, there's a lake called Big Muddy. During WWII Mackall was the main training post for US Army Airborne and had a very large base with hospital, airfield (naturally) barracks, etc.

After the war, during the drawdown, the entire post was basically scrapped, and tons of material needed to be gotten rid of...Enter Big Muddy. They dumped the entire hospital's sharps into the lake along with broken machine guns, recoilless rifles, barbed wire, and god knows what else. And there it sat.

In the late 1950s, this new thing called Special Forces was fired up, and they needed a place to train these idiots. Camp Mackall was available, so they used that. One of the portions of SF training was SERE (Survive Evade Resist Escape) so the school for that was set up at Mackall as well.

The first week is classroom, the second was field, and the training site was set up on the shore of Big Muddy. Now have you ever heard of poncho rafts? Great way to ford a water body and keep your gear dry...and we have this huge lake next to us for use for training!

Just one thing: Do not...I repeat, do not go anywhere near the bottom, which is a land of pain and tetanus.

I went through SERE twice (the second time for my instructor cert), and the safety briefings for poncho rafts were the longest ones we ever had for any aspect of SERE training including the Resistance Training Lab.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

They knew what they were doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24VOo7-ctKU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

At Camp Mackall, North Carolina, there's a lake called Big Muddy. During WWII Mackall was the main training post for US Army Airborne and had a very large base with hospital, airfield (naturally) barracks, etc.

After the war, during the drawdown, the entire post was basically scrapped, and tons of material needed to be gotten rid of...Enter Big Muddy. They dumped the entire hospital's sharps into the lake along with broken machine guns, recoilless rifles, barbed wire, and god knows what else. And there it sat.

In the late 1950s, this new thing called Special Forces was fired up, and they needed a place to train these idiots. Camp Mackall was available, so they used that. One of the portions of SF training was SERE (Survive Evade Resist Escape) so the school for that was set up at Mackall as well.

The first week is classroom, the second was field, and the training site was set up on the shore of Big Muddy. Now have you ever heard of poncho rafts? Great way to ford a water body and keep your gear dry...and we have this huge lake next to us for use for training!

Just one thing: Do not...I repeat, do not go anywhere near the bottom, which is a land of pain and tetanus.

I went through SERE twice (the second time for my instructor cert), and the safety briefings for poncho rafts were the longest ones we ever had for any aspect of SERE training including the Resistance Training Lab.

lol i was at bragg in the 90s and did robin sage a few times because it was fun to gently caress off with all the kids doing their SERE poo poo. and lol i wouldnt get near poo poo that even looked slightly sketch at mackall

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I was there in the 80s, and being chased by 82nd ABN's MPs up by Carthage is something I will never treasure of my times through SERE. In the 80s, everything was sketch at Mackall.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Haha once when I was a kid my dad pulled over on some back rear end dirt road outside Marston to check a map and like 30 dudes playing opfor materialized out of the woods and asked us to gently caress off before the exhaust leak on his shitbox 70s deville gave away their position

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Scratch Monkey posted:

How did you lose your plates in the first place?

Look man shut up.

As for not checking serial numbers they sure threatened us that they would. I was sweating.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MrUnderbridge posted:

At the end of WW II a poo poo ton of lend-lease stuff to the UK just got dumped in the ocean. As in entire flight worthy fighters. Over the side, splash! No worries!

Also 30,000 tons of chemical weapons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_CHASE

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Just don't go in past waist-deep.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There's portions of Aberdeen Proving Ground that are still off limits because of UXO and chemical weapons production for the world wars.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bird food bathtub posted:

There's portions of Aberdeen Proving Ground that are still off limits because of UXO and chemical weapons production for the world wars.

When I started doing work there I was told to not walk anywhere they don't mow the grass. Where one of our bombproof trailers was, you could look off into the woods and see UXO just laying around.

This was about the time this got published:

https://www.washingtonian.com/2000/12/01/ground-zero/

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

MrUnderbridge posted:

The US didn't need them back, the Brits didn't want to pay for scrapping, so in they went.

There are arms dumps off Nova Scotia marked on nautical charts to the effect of "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT FISH HERE." Turns out mustard gas congeals over time and when very cold-- people that have fished in those areas have brought up clumps of terror jello in their nets over the past couple of decades because the shell casings have all rotted away.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

"terror jello" was not a word i knew i needed in my vocabulary

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Fearless posted:

There are arms dumps off Nova Scotia marked on nautical charts to the effect of "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT FISH HERE." Turns out mustard gas congeals over time and when very cold-- people that have fished in those areas have brought up clumps of terror jello in their nets over the past couple of decades because the shell casings have all rotted away.

Pfft, there's an ammunition ship in the Thames Estuary that is basically about a good storm away from taking out a very large part of South Essex and North Kent.

SS Richard Montgomery

Burt fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If we’re gonna do some historical idiocy, fort fisher exploding just after US forces captured it in 1865 is going to be somewhere up top.

https://historicsites.nc.gov/all-sites/fort-fisher/history/civil-war-ft-fisher/aftermath/magazine-explosion

quote:

That soldiers, sailors and marines were running about with lights in the fort, entering bombproofs with these lights, intoxicated and discharging firearms.
That personas were seen with lights searching for plunder in the main magazine some ten of fifteen minutes previous to the explosion

Wikipedia version:

quote:

On January 16, Union celebrations were dampened when the fort's magazine exploded, killing and wounding 200 Union soldiers and Confederate prisoners who were sleeping on the roof of the magazine chamber or nearby. U.S. Navy Ensign Alfred Stow Leighton died in the explosion while in charge of a squad trying to recover bodies from the fort parapet. Although several Union soldiers initially thought Confederate prisoners were responsible, an investigation opened by Terry concluded that unknown Union soldiers (possibly drunken Marines) had entered the magazine with torches and ignited the powder.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Fort_Fisher