Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

The Third Man posted:

Stupid question, but can anyone tell me where to disconnect the negative battery terminal in a 2000 E46 coupe? Google search has been ambiguous, and I'm taking apart my doors to track down some rattles and I believe I need to disconnect some cabling to the side airbags and don't want to chance any mistakes.

open trunk, lift center thingie, look on the right side for the two big plastic screw things - loosen them and also loosen the tailight on that side and wiggle out the tray and then the battery is exposed. Enjoy getting all the grey felt panels all tucked away when your done.

Gravity don't buy a mini, just wait. You really want a car like mine (with everything replaced pretty much proactively) but not as stiff suspension wise. It's out there but you have to be patient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Keyser S0ze posted:

open trunk, lift center thingie, look on the right side for the two big plastic screw things - loosen them and also loosen the tailight on that side and wiggle out the tray and then the battery is exposed. Enjoy getting all the grey felt panels all tucked away when your done.

A word of caution; some cars have trim screws on the battery compartment that don't have any means of unscrewing them...you might have to brute force them out. Just don't do like I did and get stitches in your thumb.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 23, 2013

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

GrAviTy84 posted:

PPI all day forever.

Found a sweet 2008 cooper S yesterday. Dealership was insisting that their inspection was adequate but I insisted on an independent. Took it to mini of Monrovia for a PPI. They found a leaky crank shaft seal and a busted water pump to the total tune of $1k.

On the downside I'm back to square one.

A lot of times the PPI finds nothing but times when something like that is found it is worth every penny. Good to hear you went with the PPI and didn't buy the car, sorry you're back on the search.

Don't feel too bad, took me 5 PPI's and three flights to find my car.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

Gravity don't buy a mini, just wait. You really want a car like mine (with everything replaced pretty much proactively) but not as stiff suspension wise. It's out there but you have to be patient.

I want to believe that so bad but we've been down to one car for 6 weeks now in LA. I'm just so tired of car shopping. :smithcide:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
If you buy a car you don't completely want you'll loving hate yourself, then probably take a hit when you eventually sell it and get what you really wanted. Ask me how I know...

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

BraveUlysses posted:

I usually score rotella synthetic at Walmart for a good price. Only reason to ever go there.

Sweet looks like a walmart actually opened in my county, the nearest one was over an hour away until maybe a month ago!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

PErused this thread a bit and there's not much talk about them..how is the X3? My wife seems to have been bitten by the small crossover bug, and she wants something with some amenities. Would buying a used first-gen be a terrible choice for me and my bank account? Would like something reliable and comfortable. Her commute is short and it would occasionally be used for longer trips.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

angryhampster posted:

PErused this thread a bit and there's not much talk about them..how is the X3? My wife seems to have been bitten by the small crossover bug, and she wants something with some amenities. Would buying a used first-gen be a terrible choice for me and my bank account? Would like something reliable and comfortable. Her commute is short and it would occasionally be used for longer trips.

I owned an X3 for a short time.

It handled well. Extremely well for an SUV. The Xdrive system was fantastic (get the 08 or later) and the motor was very adequate for the job.

But the normal ones have annoying black trim around the bottom, so make sure you get an M sport model (better steering wheel, nicer seats, handles loving awesome) and it will have the body colored trim. The auto box always seems confused unless its in sport mode. They have made 2 software updates and it never really seems to fix it. It always seems in the wrong gear at the wrong time, but in sport mode its completely fine. The ride is pretty harsh, and the interior feels cheap.

If it was me, I would much rather buy an X5, the MPG hit is only down 2 or 3 MPG. Or I would seriously look at a CRV or Tuscon. I know its not a BMW, but they are a little better than the average bear. Actually we are trading off my E60 (I never drive it any more) and her Sonata and getting a Tuscon or a CRV.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

E:fb, Battery

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Car: 2000 E39 540i 6-speed, 169k miles

My second gear (and to a lesser extent, third gear) are crunchy when they engage. As in, pushing the lever into those gears provides a very mechanical crunching feeling.

I replaced the transmission fluid a couple of months ago with Redline MTL but if anything I think its gotten worse.

Should I try another kind of fluid or accept the fact that my synchros are toast?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

^^^ I would try the BMW fluid from the dealer. It'll be expensive, but much cheaper than a rebuild if you get lucky and it fixes your problem.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CornHolio posted:

My second gear (and to a lesser extent, third gear) are crunchy when they engage. As in, pushing the lever into those gears provides a very mechanical crunching feeling.

I replaced the transmission fluid a couple of months ago with Redline MTL but if anything I think its gotten worse.

Should I try another kind of fluid or accept the fact that my synchros are toast?

Throwout bearing maybe? I had a similar issue with a Getrag 250.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jealous Cow posted:

Throwout bearing maybe? I had a similar issue with a Getrag 250.

The clutch pedal does make a weird noise as it engages and has a weird nonlinear feel to it, even after a full fluid flush. I figured it was probably the master or slave cylinder doing that.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CornHolio posted:

The clutch pedal does make a weird noise as it engages and has a weird nonlinear feel to it, even after a full fluid flush. I figured it was probably the master or slave cylinder doing that.

Time for a junkyard tranny swap!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Going to replace the spark plugs on my e36 M3 next weekend, one video I've seen recommends always replacing the spark plug connector boots along with each plug. Is that true? Seems like those parts are fairly sturdy and either break or are fine for the life of the car.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I have never replaced a coilpack boot. The only time I could think of doing that would be if you were troubleshooting a bad coilpack and switching the boots changed which coil had the issue.

CornHolio posted:

If the TOB is bad you should hear a noise when holding the clutch pedal in all the way.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Popete posted:

Going to replace the spark plugs on my e36 M3 next weekend, one video I've seen recommends always replacing the spark plug connector boots along with each plug. Is that true? Seems like those parts are fairly sturdy and either break or are fine for the life of the car.

I would change them, they do fail over time and are cheap to replace. Just buy a set the next time you buy parts online and swap them later. It's easy to do.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

If I had a spare $500, I would be crazy enough to try to do something with this.

http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/4023425427.html

1989 BMW 750iL E32 Parts Car or Fix Transmission - $500 (Central Point)

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Just swap an e39 6 speed into it and drive the hell out of it. :getin:

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

CornHolio posted:

I've heard that the redline in those trans will technically be a better lubricant, but will behave worse when not fully warmed up, and can feel crunchier. That being said, my 2nd gear is a bit crunchy and I'm only at 102k. BMW fluid might help, but eventually trannys will wear out. Toast syncros can be saved for a while though with judicious rev-matching. Have you done a clutch job yet? It could definitely be a problem with the throwout bearing, although generally those make more noise if they're failing, right?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
As I've :words: about before, I'm having trouble with my power seat retrofit in my E87. The power part of the passenger seat doesn't seem to work when I try to bench test it.

It's not like there has to be a person sitting in the seat for it to work, is it? That wouldn't make much sense...

Edit: SUCCESS!!! It appears that I needed to connect all four wide connectors. Yay!

bolind fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 25, 2013

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

FIRST TIME posted:

If I had a spare $500, I would be crazy enough to try to do something with this.

http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/4023425427.html

1989 BMW 750iL E32 Parts Car or Fix Transmission - $500 (Central Point)

Don't feel bad. If I had the garage space, I'd buy a $6000 850Ci and make the ignition system suck a lot less than stock. I owned a nice one for about three years and had relatively little trouble keeping it running well... if you consider a new tranny at 50,000 miles and several $600 sets of spark plug wires relatively little trouble.

Like this one:
http://www.certifiedautobuy.com/sites/web/iLD.php?siteID=pnn4nc4fgdxvsx8&iid=1339685659

Or this one:
http://www.lamotorsonline.com/1991_BMW_BMW_Azusa_CA_175186520.veh

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ausgezeichnet posted:

Don't feel bad. If I had the garage space, I'd buy a $6000 850Ci and make the ignition system suck a lot less than stock. I owned a nice one for about three years and had relatively little trouble keeping it running well... if you consider a new tranny at 50,000 miles and several $600 sets of spark plug wires relatively little trouble.

Like this one:
http://www.certifiedautobuy.com/sites/web/iLD.php?siteID=pnn4nc4fgdxvsx8&iid=1339685659

Or this one:
http://www.lamotorsonline.com/1991_BMW_BMW_Azusa_CA_175186520.veh

WE FINANCE ANYONE!!!!!!!! WE OFFER FINANCING FOR ALL CREDIT SITUATIONS!!!!!!! WE ALSO OFFER RENT TO OWN FINANCING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOUR JOB IS YOUR CREDIT. ALL OUR CARS COME WITH A WARRENTY.
LET US HELP YOU REBUILD, RESTABLISH OR JUST BUILD YOUR CREDIT.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
18.9 percent is a pretty good interest rate, right?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If I was going to buy an 8 series, there's no way I'd get a 850i over an 840i. The M60 makes almost as much HP/TQ as the M70 and it's way cheaper to maintain.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've always thought that an 8 series with a LSx and 6 speed swap would be awesome

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

rscott posted:

If I was going to buy an 8 series, there's no way I'd get a 850i over an 840i. The M60 makes almost as much HP/TQ as the M70 and it's way cheaper to maintain.

While technically true, the 850 is 10 better. :downs:

I wouldn't buy from one of those road hogs, I was just illustrating that a car that sold for 95K seventeen years ago can be had for 6K now - certainly reflecting the amount of effort needed to get it to good working order (or what passes for such in 850's). I frequently see these ads running for 6-9 months before they disappear. Some used car lot owner in the Inland Emprire thinks it would be cool to flip a BMW super car, not realizing that if not maintained properly an 850 could cost him three times what he paid for it just to keep it running. They're like automotive herpes.

I LOVED the one I had. Bought it with 29,000 miles from the original owner, who had a receipt for everything ever done to it. Drove it year 'round in Chicago for three years, then traded it in for the 550i I have now. I just have to get rid of that before the SMG tranny breaks my heart and wallet.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Cooling problems got you down?

Quick craigslist search for bmw+overheat*

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4023229730.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4006931700.html

But then was offset by finding things like this:

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 26, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I texted this dude, took a little drive in this car.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/4024682277.html

Actually doesnt drive to god awful, but needs work. hood, grill, etc, but all the parts are found in the junk yard near me for dirt cheap. Not a spec of rust, but she needs love. Bad. I politely pointed the leak, a rip in a seat and other wise, just a dirty car (there is potential here)

I told him 1000 bucks cash. He said NO WAY DUDE ITS A BMW SO THAT MAKES IT WORTH 3000 EVEN IF IT DOESNT RUN RRRRAAAARRRRR.

Then I kindly told him good luck on selling it for 2800 and left. I really don't get why people think these cars are worth a god drat fortune when its in pretty poor shape (motor and tranny are good, and there was about 3 receipts)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Anyone use Seafoam on their car? I've been debating trying it out as it seems pretty split on people who love and hate it. Also any recommendations for cleaning the black bumper and side door plastic? Mine has this ghost waxy residue on it and it looks pretty faded.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I texted this dude, took a little drive in this car.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/4024682277.html

Actually doesnt drive to god awful, but needs work. hood, grill, etc, but all the parts are found in the junk yard near me for dirt cheap. Not a spec of rust, but she needs love. Bad. I politely pointed the leak, a rip in a seat and other wise, just a dirty car (there is potential here)

I told him 1000 bucks cash. He said NO WAY DUDE ITS A BMW SO THAT MAKES IT WORTH 3000 EVEN IF IT DOESNT RUN RRRRAAAARRRRR.

Then I kindly told him good luck on selling it for 2800 and left. I really don't get why people think these cars are worth a god drat fortune when its in pretty poor shape (motor and tranny are good, and there was about 3 receipts)

Yeah I wouldn't offer over $1000 on that car. People are very strange when it comes to BMW's it's like they lose all comprehension of actual value and simply having that badge means they are entitled to a a few grand for a barely functioning scrap heap.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Popete posted:

Yeah I wouldn't offer over $1000 on that car. People are very strange when it comes to BMW's it's like they lose all comprehension of actual value and simply having that badge means they are entitled to a a few grand for a barely functioning scrap heap.

They also don't realize that damage on cars like that makes them worth much less than similar damage on something without $rape pieces parts. It really doesn't take much to make something of that age economically unviable to ever put back into proper sorted shape.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Popete posted:

I should have added.... Now that I actually live next to a track..... Track day car!

The interior wasn't a huge deal for me, because it will all be missing anyways, except for the driver/passenger seat. I would just want to make the body work decent, but would have only cost me around 150 bucks in parts from the yards.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The sad thing is, that around here if it was rustfree that is a 2500 car. Easy.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Mother's Back to Black to fix wonky plastic trim.

Klasse also works a bit too.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

My experience is second hand and anecdotal. My sister has a 2004 X3 and I completely agree with the sport version comments. She has the (m?) sport version that has the body-color matched trim that I think has aged very well. It doesn't look like it is almost 10 years old while the black trimmed models looked outdated when they came out. I think in +70k miles they have had to replace an O2 sensor and they had an issue with some common bluetooth gadget draining the battery.
It handles really well for a truck.

Dr. Brule
Mar 5, 2009
I've given up on the search for a 335xi with the sport package and oil cooler for sub 17k in my area. Going for the G37x now, performed quite well in the two different test drives that I took.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Went and test drove a '97 E39 540 Touring auto today. I'm coming from an E34 540 sedan auto, and even though the E34 is still fairly comfortable, the E39 felt like a couch on wheels in comparison. The suspension was softer, the pedals and steering felt like they had less connection, and the more muffled exhaust didn't help either. Can anyone else echo my sentiment, or is it just a matter of getting used to it?

Decisions, decisions... I think I will sorely miss the V8, and thus my only choice for an E39 is a 540 yet again. However, a 530 would indeed be a more sensible choice with regards to maintenance and economics. I'm 100% DIY capable though.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
So I can't seem to buy rotella or gtx or mobil 1 15w40 locally, is there anywhere online that wouldn't cost a huge premium to ship?

I can get penn grade 1 locally oddly enough and it comes out to the same price as I've found to ship the cheaper stuff...

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Drunken Lullabies posted:

So I can't seem to buy rotella or gtx or mobil 1 15w40 locally, is there anywhere online that wouldn't cost a huge premium to ship?

About 6 months ago I looked around for cheaper 5 gallon pails of Rotella and they were all overpriced if you included shipping. But if you find someplace let me know. I typically get mine at AutoZone....my local one usually has a pail or two and occasionally puts it on sale.

This might be one of those situations where it's less expensive for you to use whatever quality oil you can get locally at a reasonable price and put in a ZDDP additive.