Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

MrMondayNight posted:

Its a bit tiny but:
http://i.imgur.com/SBE2a.jpg
Bonus matches:
Pre-mask Liger vs Owen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es_Ff9HRAVA
Pre-mask Liger vs Rollerball Rocco (pre-mask Black Tiger): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=panKSi2jKhE&feature=related

Liger looks kind of like Silvestor Stalone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

ProFro posted:

Actually it was before the curtain call, which makes it even more bizarre.

Not really. Warrior needed someone to squash who wasn't a job guy. Hunter was assigned the spot with the promise that afterwords they would reward him for doing it with a push. Eventually, this lead to King of the Ring where Hunter would get the win. Unfortunately, he became the whipping boy for the curtain call which meant his push was delayed and they decided Austin was a good enough choice to win it, not expecting a huge star to come out of the tournament now.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

HHH said in a interview that the match wasn't supposed to be as much of a squash as it was. Originally it was supposed to go 5 minutes, and see him get the lionshare of the offence, but still love in a convincingly decisive measure. Then Warrior showed up in horrible shape and they cut it down to "hit your finisher and he kicks out" which warrior took to mean "no sell everything."

You can be the best politician in the world, but theres not much you can do when your opponent for the night shows up in a state where he gasses out in the agents meeting.

Unless you're Hogan and Nick Patrick owes you a favour.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Skinty McEdger posted:

HHH said in a interview that the match wasn't supposed to be as much of a squash as it was. Originally it was supposed to go 5 minutes, and see him get the lionshare of the offence, but still love in a convincingly decisive measure. Then Warrior showed up in horrible shape and they cut it down to "hit your finisher and he kicks out" which warrior took to mean "no sell everything."

You can be the best politician in the world, but theres not much you can do when your opponent for the night shows up in a state where he gasses out in the agents meeting.

Unless you're Hogan and Nick Patrick owes you a favour.

That's what HHH says and was likely told. Based on Warrior's track record he never had any intention of selling and was told by Vince it was OK.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

In WWE DVDs and such, the original Degeneration X are always played as this huge deal, particularly opposite the NWO.

Now, I know the NWO was a genuinely huge angle and they were for a time absolutely a poo poo-hot commodity.

How much of a genuine counterpoint / rival was WWE's DX to WCW's NWO? Is the WWE suggestion of DX being equally or more important true, or not?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Squashing HHH at the time wasn't bizarre at all. He squashed Honky Tonk for the IC title and that was against an established upper heel. HHH offense being sold would have been far more bizarre.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
D/X didn't dominate the storylines and show the way the nWo did WCW's. I guess D/X was the nWo without the 'take over the company and assimilate everyone like the Borg' booking. It didn't become obmixious the way nWo did.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dead Snoopy posted:

DX didn't dominate the storylines and show the way the nWo did WCW's.

That's because Vince had more than one storyline going at the time and didn't book all of his top guys into the same angle at once because he isn't stupid. The HHH/HBK version of DX was pretty brutal and took up waaaaay too much TV time, but even that wasn't as bad as what the nWo became.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dead Snoopy posted:

D/X didn't dominate the storylines and show the way the nWo did WCW's. I guess D/X was the nWo without the 'take over the company and assimilate everyone like the Borg' booking. It didn't become obmixious the way nWo did.

D-X is pretty goddamn obnoxious about the time they run-in on every match.

Coincidentally this is the part I'm stuck watching!

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
There's an IWA show in my town in late August. I believe the main event is Greg Valentine versus some guy. Is IWA a pretty good indy? The event is being held in a minor league baseball park, so it's not in a high school gym; and I'm more interested than not in going.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

crankdatbatman posted:

There's an IWA show in my town in late August. I believe the main event is Greg Valentine versus some guy. Is IWA a pretty good indy? The event is being held in a minor league baseball park, so it's not in a high school gym; and I'm more interested than not in going.

Are you sure it's called IWA? The only American indy called IWA I know of is the now defunct IWA Mid South, and no, it hasn't been a good indy in many a year.

Do you have a website or anything?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

crankdatbatman posted:

Where do you live? There's an IWA: Unlimited that Colt Cabana has wrestled for, and I think it's in Ohio or someplace.

Chances are that it's not a good indy if they're bringing in Greg Valentine in 2011.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CombineThresher posted:

Where do you live? There's an IWA: Unlimited that Colt Cabana has wrestled for, and I think it's in Ohio or someplace.

Chances are that it's not a good indy if they're bringing in Greg Valentine in 2011.

Hmm...maybe I got the name wrong. This is in northern Indiana, so Ohio isn't too far off. I just saw a poster, so maybe I'll drive by it a little later and get some more info.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also keep in mind the name IWA has been used by a bunch of companies over the years.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Dickeye posted:

D-X is pretty goddamn obnoxious about the time they run-in on every match.

Coincidentally this is the part I'm stuck watching!

The Hunter-led DX was incredibly overexposed at times, as I recall. Not to the point of the NWO, but I can still hear JR yelling about "That drat DX" for a reason. They were in almost every segment for a while.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well, there's two DXs. One was when Michaels was in the main event, and when that happened it was just Shawn Michaels plus his two sidekicks. The second DX is the one most people remember.

WWE likes to pretend DX was a much bigger deal than they were. They were certainly popular, but they were really just a very popular midcard/upper midcard act. WWE loves peddling out that stupid segment where they drove to the arena where Nitro was being held in a humvee (and edited a sign to say tickets were still available) and act like it was some big moment, but it was just some stupid segment where they looked like idiots since they were just sitting outside the arena doing crotch chops and yelling SUCK IT!!

They were important in the story of the Monday Night Wars as an example of how the WWF used raunchiness to get ratings, but that's it. HHH was the member that was the highest on the card in the second version, and he was mostly feuding over the IC title with The Rock. The NWO, while it eventually became garbage, revolutionized wrestling, spawned the second boom period, and were always main eventers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DX really was just one of a number of large stables at the time too, they were on a pretty equal footing with The Nation

of Domination

for awhile, and they only really became a big deal when the McMahon-Helmsley regime took over, and even then they were still mainly just Hunter's lackeys to stand in the background while Triple H gave promos, and then they would have their tag matches against Kane and the like.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
DX in 1999 is funny because it went like this:

January: Chyna defects to the Corporation. DX is now HHH, X-Pac, BADD rear end Billy Gunn, and Road Dogg

March (WM15): Chyna low blows Kane so HHH can beat him. Chyna is apparently back in DX.

WM15 (Later that night): HHH SWERVES DX and Pedigrees X-Pac so Shane McMahon can beat him. So DX is now Road Dogg, X-Pac, and Billy Gunn

Summer-ish: D-X is still together, but X-Pac starts hanging with Kane. Kane is an ally, but is not in DX. X-Pac and Kane win the tag titles. Billy gets jealous when the New Age Outlaws can't beat them, so he turns on X-Pac. DX is now X-Pac and the Road Dogg, but X-Pac is tag champions with Kane. Billy Gunn wins KOTR.

August: HHH tells Billy Gunn that Road Dogg and X-Pac are getting more money than them...or something. So Road Dogg and X-Pac (who are not an established team, X-Pac and Kane are) wrestles Billy Gunn and Chyna for the rights to the DX name at Fully Loaded. Even though Chyna and HHH turned on Gunn a few months earlier and Chyna has pretty much nothing to do with Gunn. DX is now Road Dogg and X-Pac, and tag team champion Kane is still not a member.

September: New Age Outlaws reunite after being broken up for 2 months or so, and feuding over the rights to the DX name a few weeks earlier. Oh, also because nobody gave a poo poo about Billy Gunn's singles run. I guess Gunn is a member again?

October: HHH and X-Pac join up with them, reuniting DX, despite the fact HHH turned on all of them about 7 months earlier. X-Pac turns on Kane and steals his girlfriend.

This all happened IN THE SPACE OF TEN MONTHS

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 13, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's also important to note that when DX broke up (or rather, everyone kind of drifted away), X-Pac REFUSED to change. He did the same DX intro, wore the same DX gear etc, for at least a couple of years he just wouldn't let DX go. Then finally he changed up his ring gear and formed "X-Factor" with Justin Credible, and something like 2-3 weeks later DX was (briefly) reformed :laugh:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Then at the next king of the ring Billy Gunn was at WWF New York. Edge then destroys him in an awesome promo.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

Then at the next king of the ring Billy Gunn was at WWF New York. Edge then destroys him in an awesome promo.

Well that was 2 years later. In 2000, Gunn had a nasty rotator cuff tear that kept him out for 8 months or so, and DX just kind of withered away after awhile.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Then Billy met Chuck.

Are you guys sure the DX history remembers more is the HHH-led/clusterfuck one? It seems like with more recent history they push DX as Shawn Michaels and HHH, and you never really hear about the other version.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

crankdatbatman posted:

Then Billy met Chuck.

Are you guys sure the DX history remembers more is the HHH-led/clusterfuck one? It seems like with more recent history they push DX as Shawn Michaels and HHH, and you never really hear about the other version.

That due to the drug issues of X-pac, Billy Gunn, Chyna and Road Dogg

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Jerusalem posted:

It's also important to note that when DX broke up (or rather, everyone kind of drifted away), X-Pac REFUSED to change. He did the same DX intro, wore the same DX gear etc, for at least a couple of years he just wouldn't let DX go. Then finally he changed up his ring gear and formed "X-Factor" with Justin Credible, and something like 2-3 weeks later DX was (briefly) reformed :laugh:

I don't think that's the case since I think since DX pretty much ended for good near the end of 2000 and wasn't brought up again until Triple H brought up reforming it so he could turn on HBK in 2002 after the end of the NWO.

The real kiss of death for X-Factor (beyond being pretty lame) was that like a month after they started Vince bought WCW and then a few months later the Invasion started and Credible left to join ECW/The Alliance.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Don't forget when it came back as a tag team (Triple H/HBK) in...2006? It was the same time as Spirit Squad. HBK did a run-in and superkicked whover and JR absolutely lost his mind about D-X reuniting.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jerusalem posted:

Then finally he changed up his ring gear and formed "X-Factor" with Justin Credible
and Albert! You can't forget about Albert.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

That due to the drug issues of X-pac, Billy Gunn, Chyna and Road Dogg

That...is a very good point.

Dat Dam DX sure was a bunch of rebels.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
I knew when they started a feud over the rights to come out to the DX anthem that they were done.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
As stupid as that feud was, at least that kind of made sense, given that DX was worth a lot of merchandising money.

Russo repeating the angle with "T," not so much.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Jerusalem posted:

The Nation

of Domination

I friggin love you man.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
In the Benoit thread, someone mentioned the Wrestlehut Wiki, so I got looking through it. Under Tully Blanchard, it says that JBL hates him. Does anyone know why? I've never heard that story.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Perry Normal posted:

In the Benoit thread, someone mentioned the Wrestlehut Wiki, so I got looking through it. Under Tully Blanchard, it says that JBL hates him. Does anyone know why? I've never heard that story.

From wiki:

quote:

It was reported on October 23, 2006, that Blanchard was working for World Wrestling Entertainment as a Road Agent/Producer. On November 3, Dave Meltzer reported that Blanchard had a confrontation with JBL that caused him to quit. JBL claimed that Blanchard had treated him poorly when he first got into wrestling and referred to Blanchard in public as a drug addict, cheater, liar, and hypocrite who used God to make money.

Blanchard resigned his position, citing numerous reasons for his wanting to leave, with the incident with JBL cited as one of the reasons. On November 8, Blanchard claimed (via the Between the Ropes wrestling radio show), he simply wasn't as passionate about the business as he once was and could not deliver the commitment World Wrestling Entertainment would surely expect of him. He came to this conclusion upon pondering Chris Benoit's backstage question: "Do you miss it?" Blanchard believes his prison ministry is now his true passion, despite having an existing "Legend" contract still in place with World Wrestling Entertainment.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Does Ole Anderson like anyone?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Does Ole Anderson like anyone?

I think they should name a luchadore Ole Anderson.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Have Eric Young and Colt Cabana ever had a match? I think their brands of comedy would intersect very well.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Who are some people whose gimmick was wrapped up in absolute mastery of a single class of move?

I mean there is the Human Suplex Machine Taz from ECW, Roderick Strong, the Messiah of the Backbreaker from TNA, and there must be more.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lamuella posted:

Have Eric Young and Colt Cabana ever had a match? I think their brands of comedy would intersect very well.

I don't think that they have. If they did, it would have had to have been a low profile indy.

projecthalaxy posted:

Who are some people whose gimmick was wrapped up in absolute mastery of a single class of move?

I mean there is the Human Suplex Machine Taz from ECW, Roderick Strong, the Messiah of the Backbreaker from TNA, and there must be more.

Above anyone else I can think of, DDP.

Wait, you said class of a move, not one singular move. Ummm... maybe someone who does a ton of different kicks.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Dragon Dragon is the master of every move with the word "dragon" in it.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

projecthalaxy posted:

Zeke and the bodyslam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Dean Malenko, Master of 1,000 Holds.
Chris Jericho, Master of 1,004 Holds.