Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

magic cactus posted:

I watched season one of Amphibia over the weekend. I wanted to like it more than I did. The world building was great, and I enjoyed the weirdly southern Gothic (to my perspective at least) touch applied to toward the Plantar family/the residents of the valley. However season one felt... weirdly disjointed. There were all these episodes about Anne's wacky adventures and no enough buildup of the main overarching plot, so that to me the season finale felt almost like a completely different show. I'll probably watch season two out of curiosity, but it's not a must-watch kind of show for me.

The pacing for individual episodes is off as well, IMO. For me it added to the disjointed feel. That being said, there’s a lot to like about the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have issues with the Mao Mao episode Popularity Conquest because it's clearly trying to make fun of Steven Universe but it totally misunderstands his character in doing so, so the parody isn't recognisable as anything - Steven has as strong a personality as Mao Mao and as powerful a sense of justice, he just dislikes violent solutions to problems. He would never have allowed the town to manipulate/steamroll him like Mao Mao does. He'd probably pull Mao Mao's head out of his rear end if anything. He's closer to Adorabat than anything Mao Mao does because they are both confident in themselves enough to not care about being popular, which is what makes them well-liked. The song gag is funny though.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Adorabat loves the violent solution tho?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Applewhite posted:

Adorabat loves the violent solution tho?

I more meant her confidence in who she is. She has no shame in what she likes or where her strengths and weaknesses lie.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Adorabat is the best. I want to know what kind of poor decision making on her behalf led to that peg leg.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I have issues with the Mao Mao episode Popularity Conquest because it's clearly trying to make fun of Steven Universe but it totally misunderstands his character in doing so, so the parody isn't recognisable as anything - Steven has as strong a personality as Mao Mao and as powerful a sense of justice, he just dislikes violent solutions to problems. He would never have allowed the town to manipulate/steamroll him like Mao Mao does. He'd probably pull Mao Mao's head out of his rear end if anything. He's closer to Adorabat than anything Mao Mao does because they are both confident in themselves enough to not care about being popular, which is what makes them well-liked. The song gag is funny though.

Mao Mao has people from SU working on it; Ian JQ himself voices a recurring character named Chubbums on Mao Mao. So I don't think that the parody was mean spirited or done out of ignorance; more that it's just a surface-level thing and light ribbing in service of the message that Mao Mao changing himself to suit the Sweetie Pies' views of how he should be instead of being true to himself. Mao Mao and Steven Universe are very different shows, and they more or less chose something with a very different style to emphasize this is all wrong for Mao Mao, not to tear down or criticize SU.

It's important to remember, a lot of these creators are friends and former colleagues. They can take being made fun of by each other.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Nodosaur posted:

Mao Mao has people from SU working on it; Ian JQ himself voices a recurring character named Chubbums on Mao Mao.

Actually Tommy Blacha's doing the voice

Though it is worth noting that one of the things "marketable" Mao Mao's design makes fun of is OK KO's ball hands, yet when he was on OK KO Mao Mao creator Parker Simmons was one of the boarder that used the ball hands frequently

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I saw him as being a parody of lots of main characters.

But the issue was that he was faking an attitude to be popular.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Actually Tommy Blacha's doing the voice

Hhhhhuh. Then the thing I was referencing has incorrect info then

And the ball hands are Mao Mao's actual paws. There's a plot in a later episode that reveals he wears special gloves to have thumbs and has normal kitty ball hands underneath. "Popularity Conquest" either foreshadowed that or was aired out of order. The episode also parodies Adventure Time and Teen Titans Go, I believe.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 8, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Mao Mao has been very fun and funny. Though I hope we eventually get a villain more capable than Orangusnake.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think it was taking shots at anybody, it was just being funny by forcing Mao Mao to be some kind of cute happy guy instead of what he normally is.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Mao Mao has been very fun and funny. Though I hope we eventually get a villain more capable than Orangusnake.

I think we already have, between Tanya Keys, Shin Mao, and whatever the deal is with the ruby pureheart.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 8, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like that Orangusnake is the ultimate expression of the Power of Friendship - Coby the Cobra and Tanner the Orangutan, a pair of criminals who completely failed on their own, and pooled their abilities to become a successful bad guy. I like that instead of making fun of the power of friendship like most villains in these kinds of shows, they also adhere to the ideals, just in a different way. The Sky Pirates are likeable as a result because they work well together. I also like the little moment where they are all hanging out eating Ratarang's mother's meatballs :3: They are a family.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

someone really should buy groceries though

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nodosaur posted:

someone really should buy groceries though

Them being constantly delerious from malnutrition explains so much about them

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think it was taking shots at anybody, it was just being funny by forcing Mao Mao to be some kind of cute happy guy instead of what he normally is.

I think we already have, between Tanya Keys, Shin Mao, and whatever the deal is with the ruby pureheart.

I don't consider Tanya and Shin Mao villains.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

one of my favorite bits with the Sky Pirates is in a recent episode, where they play their crash like it's actually realistic, implying that they're really not gonna make it out this time, with Orangusnake making this big "YOU WILL NOT HAVE THESE PEOPLE! NOT TODAY!" and one of them going "Not like this! Not like this!"

And then after the crash they still do the "we're ooookay!" bit

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I feel like CN are spamming the baby bear episodes of We Bare Bears lately. Every time I’ve put it on, it’s been a baby bear ep.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like CN are spamming the baby bear episodes of We Bare Bears lately. Every time I’ve put it on, it’s been a baby bear ep.

I wanna say they’re prob attempting to build up momentum since they’re getting a spin-off soon. Can’t tell you if this is the right way to go though

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

cartoons123 posted:

I wanna say they’re prob attempting to build up momentum since they’re getting a spin-off soon. Can’t tell you if this is the right way to go though

Not for me. I don't want to watch the sad homeless baby bears show as they struggle through hunger and constantly being dicked over by humans they thought to be friends. :saddowns:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my guess is the spinoff won't be as bleak, conceptually. like they'll have found some sort of series-long home

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

Honestly, I thought the episode was parodying Youtube superstars and how they play up a role just to remain popular.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The_Doctor posted:

Not for me. I don't want to watch the sad homeless baby bears show as they struggle through hunger and constantly being dicked over by humans they thought to be friends. :saddowns:

I feel like the proportion of baby bear episodes has been growing over time. Like, maybe they started at 1/4 and have gradually worked up to 1/2 or even 5/9

Edit:

Not quite that bad.

Season 1: 2/26 or 7.7% Baby Bear episodes.
Season 2: 3/26 or 11.5%
Season 3: 7/44 or 15.9%
Season 4: 14/44 or 31.8%

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 9, 2019

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Anyone remember that show the Centurions where they had the three guys with armor; one was sea based, one was land based, and one was air based. It was peak toy selling cartoon.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I just watched one of the new Mickey cartoons where Goofy decides he wants to be Mickey's dog and Mickey just accepts it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gaunab posted:

Anyone remember that show the Centurions where they had the three guys with armor; one was sea based, one was land based, and one was air based. It was peak toy selling cartoon.
Yes: "Power... exTREME!!!eme-eme-eme"

Didn't they also have a cyborg dog?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Gaunab posted:

I have to occasionally remind myself that it was an actual show I watched when we first got Cartoon Network.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Gaunab posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzrccYZtbOY

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Does anyone remember a cartoon called Dragonflies? I think about it from time to time, sometimes I could swear it was something I made up.

edit: sorry just googled and it's called Dragon Flyz because the 90's were a mistake

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

magic cactus posted:

Does anyone remember a cartoon called Dragonflies? I think about it from time to time, sometimes I could swear it was something I made up.

edit: sorry just googled and it's called Dragon Flyz because the 90's were a mistake

That's the one with the pull string flying toys that eventually got recalled because they were a vision or fire hazard or something, right?

I remember that toy had a girl's version too which was just fairy themed instead of dragon themed.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Those were Skydancers! I had one, it never did anything interesting like catch on fire it just scared the hell out of the cat.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

magic cactus posted:

I had the pilot of that on VHS along with Phantom 2040; I never actually saw the show on TV though. DRAGON FLYZ MAXIMIZE!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Xelkelvos posted:

That's the one with the pull string flying toys that eventually got recalled because they were a vision or fire hazard or something, right?

I remember that toy had a girl's version too which was just fairy themed instead of dragon themed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzgavGowD_A

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember the whole jingle for Sky Dancers, I don't think I could tell you a thing about Dragon Flyz.

My favorite bizarre attempt at doing a girl version/boy version toy was Zhu Zhu Pets/Kung Zhu. Lil' robot gerbils that you can also make fight.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Gaunab posted:

DRAGON FLYZ MAXIMIZE!

I used to run around my house screaming that like a loon as a small child. I think I also have the pilot on VHS in storage somewhere. I can't remember if the show was any good or not. I remember it being weirdly dark for a children's cartoon.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Gaunab posted:

I remember, very specifically, that they were fighting against cyborgs. Then the ground guy, got very hurt and had to get some cybernetic parts put on him to function, and had a weird crisis of faith about how he could be a hero, while also being what they're fighting.

I think my young mind was blown at the time.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

magic cactus posted:

I used to run around my house screaming that like a loon as a small child. I think I also have the pilot on VHS in storage somewhere. I can't remember if the show was any good or not. I remember it being weirdly dark for a children's cartoon.

Man, for some reason that just reminded me of when I was a kid and used to watch Street Sharks.

That was, emphatically, not a good cartoon.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Man, for some reason that just reminded me of when I was a kid and used to watch Street Sharks.

That was, emphatically, not a good cartoon.

I kinda feel like Dragon Flyz is also not very good, and will be leaving it in the "happy nostalgia" part of my brain. Some things should be left as they are...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I didn't actuially get to watch Street Sharks but I had the toys, which were fun and mostly rubber and very chewable for a bitey kid.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

They were jawesome...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I didn't actuially get to watch Street Sharks but I had the toys, which were fun and mostly rubber and very chewable for a bitey kid.

Same. I was surprised to learn there even was a show later in life.