Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Danbri posted:

Headcanon: this is all an elaborate test of your detective skills so you can open a badass detective agency (albeit based on the experience of childhood objects) from the Friends path, or it accidentally turns into love, detective agency optional but still badass.

I totally imagined it as half in she just lets you do it to humor you after she figures the mystery out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I figured the reason she was struggling with the clues in her S-Link is because they were childlike riddles, and her expectations were for something much more complex and dark. Essentially it takes an outsider to see the patterns she was overlooking.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Neeksy posted:

I figured the reason she was struggling with the clues in her S-Link is because they were childlike riddles, and her expectations were for something much more complex and dark. Essentially it takes an outsider to see the patterns she was overlooking.

She says exactly that for the invisible ink one, in fact. (And if Nanako is around when you do that S-link event, she'll show up and give you a hint.)

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Just encountered Matador for the first time. I get the reputation now, but it can't be that hard to come up with a strategy for him. The Demon that absorbs force makes it really easy to float through that first part. I had trouble because I don't have Media yet and don't have a good way to recover everyone's HP reliably and so everyone was but the force-drainer during the Taunt / Berserk portion. What's a good Demon to make / grab for Media at around level 15?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Thuryl posted:

She says exactly that for the invisible ink one, in fact. (And if Nanako is around when you do that S-link event, she'll show up and give you a hint.)

They justify it but it's flimsy at best, and it's still a shame you can't help her out in a way that doesn't trivialize her accomplishments.

edit: forgot a word there :v:

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 17, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ame-No-Uzume should be around that level if memory serves. You may need to grind a little though.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

ChaosArgate posted:

Ame-No-Uzume should be around that level if memory serves. You may need to grind a little though.

Yup, she's level 18. Definitely worth the grind though; she gets Media as her first spell and is a reliable hand in general for the next several hours at least. Fusing Uzume helped me a lot with Matador.

If you need a spot to grind those levels, try the area of the world map south of Ginza, on the other side of the overpass. Watch out for Hama spells though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Doesn't Archangel learn Media?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

PureRok posted:

Oh look, the two worst female characters in the Persona universe.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

MrAristocrates posted:

Doesn't Archangel learn Media?

I dunno never got it.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I'm stuck on Matador too and I know it's just going to involve me grinding so I can survive Andalucia. I just don't feel like doing it.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

gigawhite posted:

I'm stuck on Matador too and I know it's just going to involve me grinding so I can survive Andalucia. I just don't feel like doing it.

No, you don't need to grind. You need to fuse a demon that has Tarukaja Rakukaja, use it four times, and the laugh at how little damage you now take.

Krad fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 17, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Krad posted:

No, you don't need to grind. You need to fuse a demon that has Tarukaja, use it four times, and the laugh at how little damage you now take.

*Rakukaja

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Oops, yeah, that one. I think I fused Unicorn for it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Basically you need buffs and healing to get past him. Get them now and they will make your life much easier down the line.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

gigawhite posted:

In addition to Rakukaja (Hua Po gets it the earliest I think) be sure to grab the resist-physical magatama from the junk shop in the overpass. Andalucia is the biggest danger from Matador I think, so it's probably a good idea to use that magatama on yourself and have one of your demons cover the anti-force stuff to help with Matador's first phase.

Persona games have given me some bad habits I think. I keep expecting kaja spells to only work once, so I usually forget to stack them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Delsaber posted:

In addition to Rakukaja (Hua Po gets it the earliest I think) be sure to grab the resist-physical magatama from the junk shop in the overpass. Andalucia is the biggest danger from Matador I think, so it's probably a good idea to use that magatama on yourself and have one of your demons cover the anti-force stuff to help with Matador's first phase.

Persona games have given me some bad habits I think. I keep expecting kaja spells to only work once, so I usually forget to stack them.

Persona 1, you could stack the buffs and debuffs with pretty much no limits.

It was amazing.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Krad posted:

Oops, yeah, that one. I think I fused Unicorn for it.

I think Nozuchi learns it naturally, and he drains Force which takes out press turns from Matador.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I beat Matador earlier today on the 2nd try. Threw Fog Breath and Rakunda on him immediately, repeated when he spent a turn using Dekunda and Red Capote, then just got luckier with not missing.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Ended up making Matador a joke by getting the guy with lunge and focus and using rakunda. He never even used the combo of taunt and physical cause I critical for 500 when that phase began. Awesome.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I attempted Matador with no Fog Breath, was pretty interested. I equipped the Force Magatama and had Uzume, Nozuchi and Blob along. Between the four of us we had all of the -Unda spells, so I could lob Sukundas at him. I had to hit him with three to actually manage to consistently hit him, and it largely became a matter of plinking away at him with my main character. Thanks to all the buffs and my Force-blocking party (except Blob), I was basically able to whether all of his attacks. He finally dropped a Dekunda after he'd lost half health and after that it was a rush to keep hitting him before he killed me. My main character's high agility saved the day, and I put the last of my MP into boosting his attack and crushing Matador's chest in a single critical hit.

I'd feel more elated if it was hard mode, but it was still a fine contest. I killed him on the first try too, which is always satisfying.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Rapidly approaching the end of this Nocturne playthrough. The Reason bosses are chumps, as always. I ended up getting Ahriman with a critical Deathbound that hit twice at max attack buff and defense debuff levels. His second phase didn't even get off a single attack. Kind of a shame considering how intimidating he looks.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

jonjonaug posted:

Rapidly approaching the end of this Nocturne playthrough. The Reason bosses are chumps, as always. I ended up getting Ahriman with a critical Deathbound that hit twice at max attack buff and defense debuff levels. His second phase didn't even get off a single attack. Kind of a shame considering how intimidating he looks.

Have fun with Noah.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Have fun with Noah.

I always just walk past him and come back when I get Freikugal, which he can't defend against. It renders his entire gimmick pointless.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

On Friday I finally decided to pick SMT 4 back up and finish the neutral route. Holy poo poo is it a bunch of bullshit! I was barely able to pass the super thin point threshold and now I have to do all the side quests I was ignoring to rush to the lock.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

jonjonaug posted:

I always just walk past him and come back when I get Freikugal, which he can't defend against. It renders his entire gimmick pointless.

The Coward's Path!!!!

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

The Coward's Path!!!!

The real Coward's Path is picking anything other than Hard when starting a fresh new game. :colbert:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DrManiac posted:

On Friday I finally decided to pick SMT 4 back up and finish the neutral route. Holy poo poo is it a bunch of bullshit! I was barely able to pass the super thin point threshold and now I have to do all the side quests I was ignoring to rush to the lock.

You're not going to win the unwashed masses' adoration with that kind of attitude, champ. :v:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Krad posted:

The real Coward's Path is picking anything other than Hard when starting a fresh new game. :colbert:

I tried a hard run once.

I died in the tutorial.

gently caress that nonsense.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Krad posted:

I still haven't beaten Nocturne on Hard mode yet :ohdear: I just don't know if I can weather the early parts of the game.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The early parts are fine after the tutorial if you know what you're doing. Some of the later bosses can be a huge pain though

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Krad posted:

Doesn't hard mode increase the encounter rate? That seems real annoying.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Hard mode is a special kind of hell. But I've already beaten it, every single possible challenge the game could present, TDE, hard mode...it took me about 100 hours and I was level 114 by the end because I had to grind my way to the last Magatama.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention--the price of everything in shops is doubled in Hard Mode. This includes Magatama. Have fun!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention--the price of everything in shops is doubled in Hard Mode. This includes Magatama. Have fun!

Tripled.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The block puzzle is unchanged by the difficulty as far as I know so really you can do the hardest part of the game even if you picked normal

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Hard mode is a special kind of hell. But I've already beaten it, every single possible challenge the game could present, TDE, hard mode...it took me about 100 hours and I was level 114 by the end because I had to grind my way to the last Magatama.

Did you get the permanent extra Press Turn as well?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

PS Blog confirms the release for this Tuesday.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Hard mode in SMT games just seems like extra tedium.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah for me the #1 reason I have never gotten anywhere in hard mode is the increased magatama cost. It seemed like you would just have to do lots of grinding for money in order to get anywhere and it would not be worth the tedium of it. It's a shame because I would like the increased difficulty that affects just combat.

I think Nocturne and especially SMT 4 (maybe the first 2 as well?) are a big example of that weird RPG difficulty curve where the game starts out hard in the beginning and becomes easy in the mid-late game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The worst Hard Mode in all of SMT is the Hard Mode in Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzanoah vs. King Abaddon. Both Raidou games have brutal hard modes, but I was literally rendered into an unwinnable state within MINUTES of starting the game--it's utterly and completely merciless.