Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

Yeah I know, I meant specifically the part about using a guardian as the final Aeon, which nobody in the party (other than Auron) knew. Something like that really should just be common knowledge.

If I remember correct isn't there some fluff about everyone assuming the Guardians are killed fighting Sin too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Only one guardian becomes the final aeon so I just assumed any other guardian is killed trying to defend the summoner from their former comrade, which just makes the system even more hosed up. Especially since everyone knew that part.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Auron was killed by Yunalesca, wasn't he? Maybe all the other guardians went the same way.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Auron was killed by Yunalesca, wasn't he? Maybe all the other guardians went the same way.

I thought that was only because he attacked her. She seemed willing to let him be otherwise.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Now that I think about it, that was after the defeat of Sin, right? So Auron survived it. Maybe most (successful) summoners only had one guardian :shrug:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Correct, Auron went after Yunalesca after Braska's quest ended, seeking vengeance. She promptly handed him his rear end, yet probably wasn't remotely surprised to see him show up Unsent later on.

The big plot reveals in FFX were foreshadowed only through the way people acted towards Yuna and Tidus respectively, which made Tidus' whole "stranger in a strange land" situation hit home -- and also used that to kind of obfuscate what those reveals would be. The complaints about his character are pretty valid, as they probably succeeded too well at making him a ditzy numbskull.

Then again, portraying a dude with daddy issues as a guy who overcompensates with cheeriness is preferable to, say, making him a brooding jerk like Squall. And way easier to see why they accepted him into Yuna's entourage, painfully obvious as it was that he clearly meant well (and was too dumb to be up to any shady business).

Full of flaws as FFX and X-2 still are, I'm sincerely looking forward to going another round with them when the HD rerelease comes out.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Crabtree posted:

Sorry to interrupt the redeeming part of FFX chat, but what are the chances SE just coming clean with whatever monster they're currently calling FFXV and release actual hard information about the game in the remainder of this year?

We probably won't see FFXV until 2015 at the earliest. It's going to be one of the longest-developed videogames of all time at this rate.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

It's because the main person doing it there was Auron, and Auron is the best. :allears:

He was also dealing with people devoted enough to what they believed to die over it. It makes perfect sense he would bide his time before revealing his plan is to bring it all a down.

It's also the best plottwists they don't completely gently caress up on delivery. The give-no-fucks-expect-for-the-mission old guard samurai dude turning out to be the most passionately rebellious of any of the characters was probably the only time the whole theme of tradition versus progress had any poignancy to it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Couldn't pass up posting this one.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Haha, this is amazing. Short version is that Toriyama wanted to play a game where he could wank to his waifu Lightning, which prompted everyone to poo poo on him and play Xenoblade instead. Also everyone else seems to realize they should be looking at other RPGs for inspiration and forget about FFXIII, so they seem to be on a right track at least.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

“I wanted to play a game with Lightning in it so I suggested Final Fantasy XIII to begin with,” said Toriyama, “I directed the game, but people say that there are a lot of flaws in it. At the time, I did not see how that was possible, but I told the other members to be ruthless in their criticism. They actually just kept complaining about Lightning and at one point I said that they should criticize the actual game rather than talk about her. They would not stop.”

Holy poo poo Toriyama

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Reminder, that is The Onion of the game world.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Welp, totally got me. The almost open contempt between Japanese co-workers might have been a bit good to be true, but the rest was pretty spot on satire.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

"Square Enix Forces All Staff to Play Super Mario RPG in Order to Learn How to Make Good RPGs Again" is not a great headline, or a great article, but I'll be damned if it isn't exactly what they need.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Probably should've mentioned it's fake, but it's still good stuff.

My favorite article though is Toriyama wanting to marry Lightning.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Dammit, I should have checked the URL.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
I'm actually quite disappointed it's fake, that was a really encouraging article.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sounds like they're just a gas leak shy of creating another masterpiece!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fister Roboto posted:

Sounds like they're just a gas leak shy of creating another masterpiece!

There shouldn't be any more gas leaks now, considering they moved into their brand new HQ last year, a move spurred on, allegedly, by a loving fortune teller!

Jan 09 2012 posted:

Square Enix will relocate its main office to a new building...currently under construction in the East Side Square of Tokyo's Shinjuku ward. Construction is expected to be completed in April.

Nikkei BP says the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest developer/publisher will move from its current headquarters in another part of Shinjuku to the new building some time in summer.

Square Enix was previously based in Tokyo's Meguro ward, but the company moved to Shinjuku in 2004. Famed composer and former employee Nobuo Uematsu previously claimed the move was spurred by a fortune teller's prediction.

"[Square Enix CEO and president Yoichi] Wada took a couple of locations to a fortune teller named Pao," said Uematsu. "Pao said the Meguro space was not going to bring any fortune to the company, and pointed to Shinjuku. That's why he decided to move it there. I heard this directly from Wada."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/128880/This_week_in_Japanese_news_Square_Enix_to_Otome.php

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 19, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That's not just Square, it's a thing a lot of Japanese businesses do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's not even entirely Japanese. Remember Feng Shui as a trend?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Doesn't mean it's not stupid. Who was it that left SE citing this incident as one of the reasons why? I forgot who it was exactly.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Doesn't mean it's not stupid. Who was it that left SE citing this incident as one of the reasons why? I forgot who it was exactly.

It was Nobou Uematsu.

quote:

1UP: What made you finally decide to leave Square altogether? Was it just that you wanted more creative freedom or you didn't want to be tied down to Final Fantasy projects specifically? Or maybe you didn't like the direction the company was going in when they merged with Enix? What made you want to break out and form your own company like Dog Ear Records and Smile Please?

KY: [In Japanese] This is probably the question that everyone wants to ask the most...

NU: [In Japanese] The answer's not going to be that exciting.

KY: [In Japanese] I haven't even asked it yet. [Laughs]

NU: It's not exciting at all. I don't even know if you're going to be convinced with it. It's because the SquareEnix office moved from Meguro to Shinjuku.

1UP: Uh-huh.

NU: And I never really liked the Shinjuku space, and I was so comfortable being in Meguro. Where [Reiko and I] live is actually farther away from Meguro, so to go to Shinjuku and make that commute even by car would be over an hour, and it just wasn't the right place for me. I felt whenever I stepped out of the station in the center of Shinjuku, I felt I lost direction, and it's always crowded and you can't breathe the clean air. Compared to Meguro, that wasn't the environment that I wanted to be in.

1UP: I accept that answer.

NU: One alternate answer I can give that would make it a bit more legit and business-oriented is that as I moved up the ladder and it became more of a seniority thing, I got pulled into a lot of meetings during the day, and I never got to spend time focused and concentrating on making music. So being grabbed in different directions and not being able to spend time within the company to make the music, I lost the concentration. My decision was "do I want to stay at a company that's going to require a lot of non-creative time" or "do I want to continue to make music?" So continuing to make music was what I wanted to do and what I decided to do.

1UP: That's the answer that all the artists inside of us want to hear.

NU: But the truth is the first answer. It didn't feel right walking into the office because there was so much going on. It was never a relaxing area.

1UP: Why did they pick Shinjuku? You look at a company like Konami, and it's amazing how often that company moves. They want to stay in the trendiest, coolest building no matter what. Omote-sando Hills to Mori Tower to Tokyo Midtown. And where does Square move? They move to the [Pfizer] building in Shinjuku. I don't understand that.

NU: Well I heard from [Yoichi] Wada-san, president of Square Enix, that he took a couple of locations to a fortuneteller, and that person Pao-san, a Taiwanese person...

1UP: Not your dog.

NU: [Laughs] Not my dog. And that person said the Meguro space was not going to bring any fortune in the future of the company, so that person pointed at Shinjuku. That's why he decided to move it there. But I heard this directly from Wada.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=6&cId=3166165

He left because he was unhappy with the move. Or he realized that Wada's new healthcare plan only covered homeopathy and other alternative medicines. I can't imagine why he wouldn't look forward to balancing his four humors with a free colloidal silver enema.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thanks for the refresher!

It's been half a decade, but I'm sure that fortune is definitely going to come true eventually. No doubt about that, no sir.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

“I wanted to play a game with Lightning in it so I suggested Final Fantasy XIII to begin with,” said Toriyama, “I directed the game, but people say that there are a lot of flaws in it. At the time, I did not see how that was possible, but I told the other members to be ruthless in their criticism. They actually just kept complaining about Lightning and at one point I said that they should criticize the actual game rather than talk about her. They would not stop.”

I want this to be true so badly. Xenoblade did a lot of things right and SE would do well to take notes.
That's not say it was perfect, the game had a bunch of glaring flaws. But it was still head and shoulders above FFXIII.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
It is a shame. I like the FF series and have been playing DQ8 for the first time. Is the expense of making AAA titles and the need to appeal to a new demographic behind the fall in quality? Or, are the people running the company just incompetent. Moving an office because of a fortune teller. Why do shareholders put up with that?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

What was that event where they revealed a painting of Lightning like it was a media? I remember it was an event purely to hype up Lightning Returns and that Motomu Toriyama said he keeps a framed picture of Claire at his desk and brought a vase full of roses on stage in order to accurately describe her. It was completely independent of P4Gaming and they were legit words and actions straight from Mr. FFXIII.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

From earlier in the thread.

Calaveron posted:

To better describe how much of a creep Toriyama is, I've brought this picture with me here today.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Level Slide posted:

What was that event where they revealed a painting of Lightning like it was a media?

Was it this painting that was unveiled then?

Nice spine, Lightning :haw:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Her legs put Bayonetta to shame.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

In retrospect it's pretty funny how many people were praising Lightning as a strong female character. It was always stupid, mind you, but the "we made her tits bigger and put her in a maid outfit" really saves a lot of time on arguments.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

BioMe posted:

In retrospect it's pretty funny how many people were praising Lightning as a strong female character. It was always stupid, mind you, but the "we made her tits bigger and put her in a maid outfit" really saves a lot of time on arguments.

Clearly, they meant it in the Hark! A Vagrant sense.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Hedera Helix posted:

Clearly, they meant it in the Hark! A Vagrant sense.

Way too layered for Square, man. They aren't named after a two-dimensional object for nothing.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I thought she was alright in the first game. Then it all went downhill fast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lightning was actually good in the first game. That's why they went out of their way to make sure Lightning Returns erased any chance of that sticking around because they gotta gently caress everything up I guess.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Was it this painting that was unveiled then?

Nice spine, Lightning :haw:

Yup, that's the one. Also I meant to type "media darling" but only put "media" instead. That sure is a form of media, though :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Wow. For something associated with a company known for creating gorgeous-looking art, that's completely terrible. While the background cityscape is passable, the foreground is a wreck. It's not clear what Lightning is supposed to be sitting on, nor if those tiled panels are sloping down from the wall or just in bad perspective. The overall composition feels imbalanced, and their use of nothing but blues and greys makes it dull and lifeless.

Lightning herself, though. :psyduck: Is that supposed to be her leg, because it doesn't remotely appear to be a part of her -- some disembodied limb that she's sitting next to. What the hell is she wearing? Why is her sword resting blade-down on her bare arm? Is she supposed to be tying her shoes?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Well, I am now 9 1/2 hours into 13 and it feels like I've been doing the exact same things over and over again. Fighting the same type of enemies (of which there seem to be 2 of. swarm of weaker ones or fewer with lots of HP) and running down one long corridor.

The latter wouldn't be so bad if the enemies didn't feel like the first two you encounter, reskinned about a hundred times. I would like to beat this game since I bought it and the sequel, but I just have to know.. does it get any better? :froggonk:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Well, I am now 9 1/2 hours into 13 and it feels like I've been doing the exact same things over and over again. Fighting the same type of enemies (of which there seem to be 2 of. swarm of weaker ones or fewer with lots of HP) and running down one long corridor.

The latter wouldn't be so bad if the enemies didn't feel like the first two you encounter, reskinned about a hundred times. I would like to beat this game since I bought it and the sequel, but I just have to know.. does it get any better? :froggonk:

Yes, but you've still got a while to go before it does. You're gonna be waiting until about chapter 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I hope you got it on sale.

Things really only start to get fun rather late in the game, sadly, and that fun is undermined by the plot dangling overhead.